Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANCE OF THE SEVEN VEILS  (Read 55338 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE DANCE OF THE SEVEN VEILS
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2005, 07:25:53 PM »

In order to see Hotel Rwanda today, and Million Dollar Baby last week, I had to sojourn to The Grove.  These were my first and second visits to the aforemention The Grove.  I had avoided The Grove on principle until these two visits.  The Grove is one of those outdoor "entertainment centers" (do not call it a "mall") that out-Disneylands Disneyland.  Developments like this feature ersatz architecture, built-in theme, and much ado over the very same stores that you might find in Anytown, U.S. of A.

What makes matters worse at The Grove is that despite claims by the developer that this mall entertainment center would be neighborhood-friendly (it is adjacent to the landmark Los Angeles Farmers Market), in reality its streetscape is rather fortress-like.  Any development that features an eight-level garage with computer-driven signs that tell you that all eight levels are FULL FULL FULL FULL FULL FULL FULL FULL, I can assure you, is NOT neighborhood-friendly.

There's a Pacific Theatres cineplex of something like a gazillion theatres at The Grove that manages to snare freshly released films that only show on one or two screens in L.A. and New York when they first come out.  I've made it a goal to see as many of the Golden Globe- and Oscar-nominated movies as possible before the statuettes are handed out, which is what led me to visit this deplorable concentration of commerce.  Maybe next year I'll be willing to wait until the nominees go to wide release.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »

For our Page Four dance, may I suggest a quadrille?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2005, 07:30:42 PM »

The Grove is one of those outdoor "entertainment centers" (do not call it a "mall") that out-Disneylands Disneyland.  Developments like this feature ersatz architecture, built-in theme, and much ado over the very same stores that you might find in Anytown, U.S. of A.

DR Jay - What I find ironic about these kind of developments (I've been to several here in Ohio), is that real downtowns are decaying because all the retail has gone out of business and now we have fake "downtowns" to replace them!  BTW, my family spent a lovely summer Sunday at the LA Farmers' Market a few years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »

This Wussburger's passing out now!  Bon soir! G'night!

Sweet dreams to all.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2005, 08:11:02 PM »

I almost gave into an itch today at Best Buy.  I stood there staring at a Panasonic DVD recorder with a 120 gig harddrive.  The only reason I didn't buy it was that I haven't done an ounce of research into such a unit yet and didn't want to buy blind from the shelf.  I'll check it out on the web this week and if the reviews are happy, I'll go back and pick it up.

Well, let me give you my rave right off the bat. I have the 80 gig model (bought two years ago), and I love it; the best investment I ever made. The hard drive works as a mini-Tivo unit with many of the same features as Tivo and some that some Tivo units don't have (like the ability to edit recordings to take out commercials before you dub onto a DVD-R for keeping). The DVD-R/RAM part of the unit makes flawless copies, and, of course, you can dub from the hard drive onto the DVD-R/RAM.

Any questions, just ask.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2005, 08:13:26 PM »

With the madness of the holiday season pretty much over, I should be able to get back to some movie watching tomorrow. Since I saw the loud and FX-laden VAN HELSING on Saturday, I think I'll go with COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2005, 08:34:17 PM »

DR Ginny - Pier I - if you have some in your hood - I don't know where you are - had some great-looking CD towers on sale last time I was there.

Panni

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

Just saw a screener of RAY. Mr. Jamie Foxx is quite wonderful  - has a very good chance at an Oscar and a Golden Globe.

I was not bowled over by the film - but his performance was really something.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2005, 08:45:39 PM »

I have just finished two slices of cold pizza and am now working on some fudge and a can of Cherry Coke. Life is good.

I'm glad that Ann and the sugar gliders are OK.

I think that's all I have to say, except that this fudge is really good and I'm almost out of it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

Well, I don't think THIS is a way to start out a new year, do you?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's not a holiday today, it's a Sunday even though it doesn't feel like one.  I'm back from my friend Barbara's where we dined on vegetable soup, corn bread (yes, corn bread), little tuna sandwichettes, and lots of pecan pie and ice cream.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »

I don't know why anyone would expect to be bowled over by Ray.  Its director is Taylor Hackford who is simply not a very interesting director.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2005, 08:52:15 PM »

Panni:  my brother-in-law did the trailers for Ray.  He was raving about Foxx's performance this summer when he and his family were up here on vacation.

I am very excited because I have gotten quite a ways on a little project I've been nursing for almost a year.  Though I've made my living for most of my adult life in music, I actually got my degree in English after having won several (apparently, or so I was told at the time) presitigious national awards for my fiction and essays.

Maybe it is BK's inspiration in tackling a novel, but I am now writing what I think will be a totally groovy thriller, kind of Dan Brown meets Ira Levin.  It doesn't have the built-in structural twist of BK's latest, but I think it has a plot twist or two (or three) that will keep most people guessing.  It also addresses several religious issues that hit close to home for me, being a dreaded half-breed who has regularly shuttled between the Jewish and goyische worlds for most of my life.

Whew, self-confessional over (at least for now).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2005, 08:55:14 PM »

My goodness, it looks like tomorrow we'll be at 85,000 posts, although we're not celebrating the 5,000 markers anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »

That Powerbook is calling to me - "Open the box, please, open the box."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »

Ginny, when I was growing up in Cincy, it had a vibrant and exciting downtown.  The last time I was there it seem like it all pretty much extended just a block in circumference around Fountain Square.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2005, 09:24:10 PM »

That Powerbook is calling to me - "Open the box, please, open the box."

That's the same thing this fudge was saying to me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2005, 09:28:30 PM »

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220947

You want to know why the biggest DVD site is the biggest joke - read this "review".  If these "critics" cannot construct a simple sentence then why should they be taken seriously.  And the number of times he uses the word "here" in this "review" has to be some kind of record (he also mis-spells it as "hear", too).  "This here... "This here..."  I mean, if I wrote like that I wouldn't have the nerve to post it, nor would I want anyone to KNOW I wrote like that.  I'm sure he's a very nice fellow, and very young, but how can a DVD site like that purport to be anything other than a joke with "critiques" like that.  And if you dare to criticize, watch out - they come after you like Bruce the Shark, saying, "How dare you bash these wonderful "reviewers" who do all this for free?"  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

And since you gave in on the fudge perhaps I'll give in on the Powerbook.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2005, 09:29:32 PM »

I'm still reeling over the ineptitude of that "review".

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2005, 09:40:09 PM »

I've just returned home after attending a two year old's birthday party. Exciting life - hers, not mine!
Where is everyone? I left here nearly 5 hours ago and not much has happened - or has someone weakened and opened more than a box of fudge.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:03:41 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »

No, I have not weakened and I am here with bells on.  We need a frenzy or two.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2005, 09:46:16 PM »

Today, I was home all day (I had posted several times earlier today), but most of the day, I was working on finishing the radio interview that BK did a few weeks back on "2 on the Dial" so that I could put it on CDs (it took a LOT longer than I expected).

Bruce, did you ever get a copy of your interview?  If not, do you want a copy?  I have the entire three-hour show except the last two station IDs that were after each Guy Haines song and a commercial for some BBC show from the last hour.  Would anyone else like a copy?  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 09:46:38 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2005, 09:52:18 PM »

Good Evening!

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Monday more this whole year! ;)

Well... Both shows went well today.  And everyone seemed a bit more rested and rarin' to go today too.  And due to some Krispy Kreme donuts and some most unseemly pre-show conversation in the greenroom ;), the second show went by pretty fast.

:)

-I even made it back to Richmond before midnight!  I pulled into my space in the back around 11:45.  Actually, I pulled into the space next to my space since my space was occupied.  I can't tell if the new guy upstairs is the culprit, or if it's my roommie's b/f...  Anyhoooo, I made good time back to Richmond.

As for my roomie and his b/f...  Well... Let's just say I'm counting the days...  :-\

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2005, 09:54:08 PM »

I just used the neck massager that my daughter gave me for Christmas and it works divinely.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2005, 09:55:24 PM »

I don't need a copy of the radio show (I hate listening to myself), but I'm sure there might be a dear reader or two who might want it.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2005, 09:55:28 PM »

I'm craving something sweet - but there is nothing sweet in the house except some vanilla ice cream - BORING. And it's raining heavily outside.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2005, 09:56:05 PM »

I don't think it's raining "heavily".  It's raining lightly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2005, 09:56:32 PM »

Of course I'm not craving anything sweet since I had two pieces of Pecan Pie with ice cream.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2005, 09:58:26 PM »

I don't need a copy of the radio show (I hate listening to myself), but I'm sure there might be a dear reader or two who might want it.

I do remember (a Sondheim reference) that there were several who said that they did, but I don't remember who.  If anyone wants a copy, just let me know!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2005, 10:00:18 PM »

And in more health news...

I have this thing on my left foot.  I noticed it the other morning.  I thought I had spilled a drop of juice or soda or something on my foot, but when I went to wipe it away, it turned out to be a sort of cut.  It reminds me of a cigaretty burn - it's the size of a cigarette end - but since I haven't been around anyone who smokes lately - at least not in my bare feet.  I'm thinking it may just be a spot of skin that got rubbed off by my shoes/laces - sort of a blister.  Or maybe it's some sort of bite...  In any case... It doesn't really hurt - unless I touch it, or put some hydrogen peroxide on it - like I just did a few minutes ago.  I'll see what it looks like in the morning, and if it looks worse I'll get some of those Band-Aids with the built-in antibiotic in the pad.  -Of course, since it's on the top of my foot, and I've had to wear shoes and socks, it hasn't exactly had too much opportunity to heal in a proper environment.... Ah, well...

Hope this didn't gross anyone out...  My apologies if it did...  -I could take a picture of it if you'd like...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up