Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG  (Read 78714 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005, 05:57:50 AM »

After several days of rain (and yesterday hail and a tornado watch), it appears we will have one day of sunshine before the next two storms hit us. I am ready for some sunshine.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005, 06:04:48 AM »

JRand,

I just saw Bette Davis in THE LETTER. I don't know if it's her finest performance, but, IMHO, it's at the very top of the list.

For Gene, I'd pick THE RAZOR'S EDGE.

Interestingly, both movies are based on Somerset Maugham stories. (I can't think of a favorite Joan Crawford role. Maybe I should see RAIN.)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 06:08:54 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:19 AM »

I really enjoyed Benjamin Kritzer Tour on board. Will print the pictures out and make my own original bookmarks with them. More pictures are expected, dear BK.  ;) How about Crescent Heights Elementary School’s one?  Is no longer there?

Enjoy your POWERBOOK, dear BK

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2005, 06:11:57 AM »

Awhile back, there was mention of the Dick Cavett interview of Katharine Hepburn. For what it's worth ($30 at the moment), it's available on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6355900657&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 06:21:27 AM »

Congrats on your powerbook dear BK.

My questions, Has anyone seen the new Broadway shows, "Little Women" and La Cage Aux Folles"?

Those who have, what are your opions, are they worth seeing?  I have been considering taking the Vixter the former and the DH to the latter.  We saw the original production back in October 1987  a week before we were married, and loved it.  I was overwhelmed by the wonderful sets on that production, particularly one scene that started in the dressing room in the rear of the stage and the whole dressing room slowly moved forward and expanded until it was the whole front of the stage.  Really lovely staging.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 06:35:22 AM »

I had a question yesterday that I thought I would save for today, but I have forgotten what it was/is.  So I guess I have no questions other than 'what was my question'.  

I have to go shovel snow.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 06:46:31 AM »

Welcome DR OzDerek.

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 06:55:51 AM »

Just caught up with yesterday's posts.  Mr. Kevin Spirtas is lovely to look at, too bad about those poligamy laws

1776 was the first Broadway show I ever saw, I saw it with the original cast.  A friend of WFO's was in the cast as  I recall, but his name mometarially escapes me, Duane somebody I think.....

If WFO stops being a wussburger perhaps he'll jump in and let us know.

I guess now he has turned into a god he is sitting back on his golden throne and lifting not a finger

(but I love him anyway)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 07:09:05 AM »

Thanks for the photo info, bk.

I had a strange night and am exhausted. A good way to start the day! Half woke up to the strong smell of skunk. Must've been right outside. Then I fell into kind of a half-sleep and had a dream that a burglar had come into the house. I tried to scream, but couldn't get my voice out. Finally, I yelled, loud as I could, "Burglar! Burglar!" ...At which point, in the real world, Abie got out of his little dog bed - near my people bed - and ran out of the bedroom. So, I think I really did yell out. (When I was a kid, I woke myself up talking or screaming, almost every night. Usually I was being chased by Russians or some other Bad Men (a Benjamin Kritzer reference) in my dreams.)
BAck to last night.... Eventually, I fell asleep again and had a dream that I was stuck in some freezing end of the world place and had to take the one and only plane out -- thousands were lined up. This was sort of mixed in with the fact that I had made some kind of appointment to "leave" here permanently (my home environment, I guess) but had no idea what time the leave-taking was supposed to take place. I just knew I had to get ready for a cab coming to get me. It was very unsettling.
Yesterday's Gregory Peck dream was much more fun.
...No - this is not the beginning of the Panni's Nightly Dream series.

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »

Welcome ozderek!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2005, 07:11:20 AM »

I watched METEOR on Showtime this morning....there were a LOT of scary things in it:

World Trade Center demolished
Tsunamis in Asia
Avalanches
Sean Connery wearing a series of polyester suits
Karl Malden's nose

Yes DR DiT - I watched THE LETTER this morning as well.  I have mixed feelings about it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 07:11:58 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 07:11:49 AM »

DR Ozderek and DR Tomofoz have either of you ever heard of a CD called Stairways to Heaven?  I believe it was produced by a Aussie variety show.  We have a copy and play that quite often.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 07:20:22 AM »

DR Panni, that is a cool chicken! You should take pictures of him in various parts of the home environment!

BK, loved the Kritzer tour pictures! Especially the Kritzer abode!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 07:23:11 AM »

DR Panni, I also had a terrible dream last night. I dreamt that I had just moved into a beautiful little bungalow on the beach and a tsunami came and wiped it out. I was up on a cliff watching my home drift out to see, along with my collection of Allison Hayes and June Kenney memorabilia.

I think I have been reading too many of the horror stories from the devastation in Asia...which is all so very sad...and difficult to comprehend.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 07:25:46 AM »

Hmmm...best Bette Davis performances. That is a tough one...there are so many and I am not sure if I can pick any particular one. Oddly enough, her PERRY MASON episode stands out to me...when Raymond Burr was away for awhile the show used various celebrities in his "role" and Bette was one of them. She did a good job, and of course, uncovered the killer!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2005, 07:26:20 AM »

I watched THE LETTER this morning as well.  I have mixed feelings about it.

Mixed feelings over the ending? I certainly wish the movie had finished about 20 minutes before it did (thank you, Hays Code). But Bette Davis's performance is one of her most controlled and least mannered - and I couldn't take my eyes off her.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 07:29:29 AM »

Oh, and I see DR Jose had dumped me for pretty-boy Mark Spirtas! How very fickle! LOL!

And DR Ann is a polygamist! Who knew?

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2005, 07:34:03 AM »

Dear BK, Of all of the albums you produced, which are you most proud of, and why?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2005, 07:36:59 AM »

Yup...mixed feelings over the plot.  She was great, as always, but I kind of like to see her suffer in the Big City rather than the Orient, I guess.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2005, 07:37:52 AM »

Oh dear MBARNUM - I had forgotten Bette as Perry Mason and yes she did a fine job.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2005, 07:53:51 AM »

I also just founf out today that the Leonard Gershe who is credited with writing Born In a Trunk from Garland's  Star Is Born (It was really Roger Edens but he couldn't take the credit) and the narration for That's Entertainment Part Two is the same guy who wrote Butterflies Are Free

Wow, Michael. If I had known that you DIDN'T know that, I would have told you. (He's also got screen credit on FUNNY FACE which he did with Edens.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2005, 07:55:44 AM »

I love Davis in THE LETTER, but I still think NOW, VOYAGER and DARK VICTORY are her two best performances.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2005, 07:58:44 AM »

DR George, I would LOVE to have a CD of the '1776' soundtrack. I'll send you my address via e-mail. I don't think we've ever sent each other anything before, so I am not sure you have it.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2005, 08:01:03 AM »

Jennifer mentioned it the other day, but I'll mention it again since it's tonight:

The season premiere of ALIAS comes on tonight at 9 p.m. EST. It's a two hour season premiere, so set recorders accordingly if you're not going to watch live. I can't wait to see LOST and ALIAS, oth in high def.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2005, 08:06:53 AM »

I also just found out today that the Leonard Gershe who is credited with writing Born In a Trunk from Garland's  Star Is Born (It was really Roger Edens but he couldn't take the credit) and the narration for That's Entertainment Part Two is the same guy who wrote Butterflies Are Free

Meanwhile, I just found out that Stephen Schwartz wrote the song in Butterflies Are Free. And I also read that he's the father of Scott Schwartz, who directed Golda's Balcony (which, according to my friend Patty in New York, should not be missed when it opens in LA).

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2005, 08:31:56 AM »

I don't know from iTunes or iPhoto or copying CDs in four minutes.  I just spent four-five thousands getting all new computer crap and you're already telling me I'm behind the scenes.  Hell, BK, I still have put that cord from the turntable to CD burner yet to get my vinyl on CD.  What a techno-incompetent I am!  Oh, wither the quill pen and the three-decker novel?

Here's a little anecdote I've probably told before (Lord knows I'm a man of remarkably few anecdotes :) ):

I was part of the Wesley Balk Institute's composer/librettist workshop which was held here in Portland several years ago (they do them all over the US, I'm sure other DRs have heard of it).  Anyway, most of us composer types were using Encore, which at the time (pre-Sibelius and Finale) was the ruling software (and DRCP, I still have it, probably the only luddite left who does, LOL).  Except for one poor guy who was still handwriting his notation.  Now you must realize that part of the Institute's madness is you get your "assignment" late on one day, then have the rest of that evening to write your piece, arrange it, and have it completely notated and ready for performance by the next morning.  Well, it was common for all of us computer-notaters to be moaning and bitching about our s/w problems.  But John, the pencil and paper guy, was always just fine, until one morning he joked that his pencil lead had broken the night before.  At which point, I quipped, "Are you still using a Number 2 pencil?  I think they've released the 2.5 upgrade."   :o

Maybe you had to be there......
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2005, 08:35:27 AM »

1776 was also (I think) the first Broadway show I saw, in its first National Tour (almost all of the OBC was in it).  I still distinctly remember two things about the production--first, how steep the rake was, and, second, how surprised I was to hear there was underscoring during some of the dialogue, just like a real-live movie!   ::)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2005, 08:36:53 AM »

D-I-T- wrote

"Golda's Balcony (which, according to my friend Patty in New York, should not be missed when it opens in LA)."

I agree that it's not to be missed, unfortunately, IMHO (in my humble opinion in Internet lingo), I think the show will lose some of it's power when it opens in LA. On the evening I saw the show (during Hannukah) Miss Feldshuh spoke after the performance and she mentioned the impending move to Los Angeles. She's a little nervous about the transfer because the show played at the intimate Helen Hayes Theatre (formerly the Little Theatre) on 44th Street and it's moving to a HUGE theatre in LA with over 1000 seats. Part of the power of Golda's Balcony came from the shared intimacy and the feeling that you could reach out and touch Feldshuh as Golda, even from the balcony. I think (hope) her performance will get the kudos it deserves but I don't know how well the show will play in an LA theatre barn. That's not to disparage LA theatre, we have our own barns here in New York, the Gershwin (FKA the Uris) and the Minskoff come to mind, but a small show needs a small space. Ah, well. We shall see.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 08:41:46 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2005, 08:40:20 AM »

JMK, I assume the Wesley Balk Institute is named after the late, great Wesley Balk from the University of Minnesota and co-founder of Minnesota Opera. I studied with Balk at the University, taking his legendary (at least in Minnesota) "Acting for Music Theatre" class. It was then that I noticed the trend away from "musical comedy" to "music theatre" (or musical theatre).

JMK

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2005, 08:45:23 AM »

JMK, I assume the Wesley Balk Institute is named after the late, great Wesley Balk from the University of Minnesota and co-founder of Minnesota Opera. I studied with Balk at the University, taking his legendary (at least in Minnesota) "Acting for Music Theatre" class. It was then that I noticed the trend away from "musical comedy" to "music theatre" (or musical theatre).

The very same.  He was quite ill when he came to Portland--I remember he had a portable oxygen tank that he carted around on a little luggage cart.  He did the acting side and Ben Krywocz (spelling?  I can never remember how many consonants in a row his name has, LOL) did the composer/librettist side.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up