Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 75295 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2005, 12:21:49 PM »

The mayor's wife?!!!

Great news about LI'L ABNER DVD - don't that take the rag offen the bush?

DR JAY - she lived at 2821 La Ventana.  That's the house she was living in when she got into her 1974 Camaro, drove herself to the Scripps Clinic in La Jolla for an out-patient blood transfusion as part of her regular leukemia treatment....and within 18 hours was dead at the UCLA Medical Center in San Diego.

I got a few photos of the house when I wrote to the neighbors, an retired attorney named Anthony.  He also talked to the owner of the house, a woman who lived in a retirement home who had bought the house many years before.  It's a lovely home.  And I would always like new photos.  The ones I have are about 6 years old.  I will send you a scan if you want to identify it.

Of course the neighbors, except for the owner of the house, couldn't tell Anthony anything.....the owner only remember that "she was an actress of some sort and very concerned with her diet."

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »

DR Dan-The-Man, re: Jonathan's TAR site:

It actually sort of made me like them a bit.  To know that he was disgusted by how he is being portrayed, says something (at least he is disgusted by it too!).  It tells me that either they edit people unfairly to have one evil team each season.  

Or what I think is probably the case this season, they edit stuff that happened to fit the story they want to create.  So even if Jonathan did 100 nice things and 3 crappy ones.  They will highlight the crappy things to portray him as a villain.

Btw, I'm not saying that he didn't do the things they showed him doing.  But I'd be interested to hear his point of view.  Since last season we found out that much of the stuff they showed Colin doing (screaming at Christie for example) never happened (and he was yelling at a bull!).

I would hazard to guess that what they show of Jonathan is what he is really like...and as you have seen he blames any and all things on anyone but himself.

As for Colin last season, the commercial for the episode did give the impression he was shouting at his girlfriend/wife...but when it aired I fully understood that he was shouting at/about the bull.

With 3 days worth of activity between several teams they obviously have to edit to get that all down to 1 hour and we are just seeing the highlights...so Jonathan's bad points are likely to be emphasized....because he has soooo many! LOL!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2005, 12:29:46 PM »

Thanks, DR Jane!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2005, 12:37:58 PM »

NBC is also airing another episode of COMMITTED at 8:30pm after JOEY.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I sort of enjoyed COMMITTED.  It was quirky, and I think the female lead could become big.  She was refreshingly enjoyable.   And it was funny.  Not hilarious, but cute.

She's already "kind of big." It's Jennifer Finnigan who has won the last three Daytime Emmys for Best Supporting Actress, the only supporting actress in Emmy history to have accomplished that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2005, 12:38:05 PM »

Once again DRs (and dear friends) it is time for TCB and his acting angst.  Tonight is the unofficial preview / command performance, glitzy fund-raiser, for my latest theatrical endeavor.  Tonight I open in the play NATIONAL PASTIME, a wonderful new play about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball.  Despite rumors to the contrary, I am not playing Jackie Robinson, but rather Branch Rickey, the General Manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, who hired Jackie as the first African-American player in the Major Leagues.  It is a beautifully written play, and I feel extremely fortunate to be involved with this production.

However, the play requires me to use numerous racial slurs that I have never before had to use in either public or private.  There is one particularly powerful scene that occurs between Jackie and Branch at the end of the first act.  It is a gut-wrenching scene.  To compound my stress, tonight’s fundraiser is a benefit for the local African-American Museum, which means that we will have a predominantly African-American audience.  I confess that I have been losing sleep and having nightmares over this performance.  I know that these theatre-goers realize that I am portraying a character, but that doesn’t make me feel any less uneasy.

Well, I guess in the great scheme of things, Danise and her mother have far more important worries than my acting career, so I guess I will shut up about me, and wish good health vibes to Danise’s mom and peace of mind vibes for Danise.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~vibes~~~vibes~~~[/move][/color]

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 12:40:52 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »

Too tired to do a dance....

So I will do my Panni imitation:

One for Mahler!

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »

Max Preeo - the one person whose announcements of new releases are 99% accurate - has just confirmed the April 19 DVD release of L'IL ABNER.  Also, the Bette Midler GYPSY will be out on DVD March 15.

That's really great news about LI'L ABNER.

This will be the second time around for the Midler GYPSY. I already have it on DVD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2005, 12:43:28 PM »

Vibes to DR TCB.

Been there - done that - playing in MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM.....tough to do.....but yes audiences know that you are playing a character.  It is a compliment to your acting if they hate "you."

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2005, 12:51:50 PM »

However, the play requires me to use numerous racial slurs that I have never before had to use in either public or private.  There is one particularly powerful scene that occurs between Jackie and Branch at the end of the first act.  It is a gut-wrenching scene.  To compound my stress, tonight’s fundraiser is a benefit for the local African-American Museum, which means that we will have a predominantly African-American audience.  I confess that I have been losing sleep and having nightmares over this performance.  I know that these theatre-goers realize that I am portraying a character, but that doesn’t make me feel any less uneasy.

I can relate, DR TCB. I played Karl Lindner in A RAISIN IN THE SUN eight years ago, and though the character is sweet to the family in Act II, he turns and shows his true (bigoted) colors in the third act, and I would regularly get hissed by black audiences during the revelatory moments of my character.

Smartly, the director staged the bows so that I took my bow with the two young black suitors and thus spared my being booed. I am sure I would have been had I bowed alone.

Break a leg on your opening!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 12:54:53 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2005, 12:54:04 PM »

BTW, William E. Lurie, does Max Preeo have a website or home page, or are you getting this information from him personally?

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2005, 12:56:07 PM »

Max Preeo - the one person whose announcements of new releases are 99% accurate - has just confirmed the April 19 DVD release of L'IL ABNER.  Also, the Bette Midler GYPSY will be out on DVD March 15.
WEL may not post as regularly these days but the information is worth the wait.  Thanks Bill.

Special thougths from OZ are with you Danise.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »

Yes, I'd say that if those grandchildren marry, their offspring may have a teeny bit of a DNA problem

ROTFLMAO!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »

TCB-GOOD VIBES TONIGHT!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »

Where did Danise go?  I spoke to her and she was about to post-guess she received a call back from the doctor with the results of her mother's tests.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2005, 01:03:50 PM »

That's really great news about LI'L ABNER.

This will be the second time around for the Midler GYPSY. I already have it on DVD.

The trouble with the Midler Gypsy DVD is that it's been out of print for a few years.  I've been looking for it on eBay but it always bids up to prices that far outstrip its value to me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2005, 01:18:38 PM »

NBC is also airing another episode of COMMITTED at 8:30pm after JOEY.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I sort of enjoyed COMMITTED.  It was quirky, and I think the female lead could become big.  She was refreshingly enjoyable.   And it was funny.  Not hilarious, but cute.

DRJennifer, I wanted to like COMMITTED more than I did.  I liked the secondary people a lot, but I wanted both of the two leads to calm down a bit.  I don't find hysterical mugging either comic or interesting unless I'm doing it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »

@ @ @ @ @  BREAK A LEG VIBES TO DR TCB!  @ @ @ @ @
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »

The trouble with the Midler Gypsy DVD is that it's been out of print for a few years.  I've been looking for it on eBay but it always bids up to prices that far outstrip its value to me.

Yes, I knew it was out of print. I bought the one I have at a used site at least a year ago, maybe two.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2005, 01:21:06 PM »

As I said on Tuesday night after I saw it, I found COMMITTED quirky and fun. Not hilarious or gut-busting, but just enough off-center to make me look forward to seeing the next episode tonight after JOEY. And I think it'll make a good match with the quirky SCRUBS once it comes back on the air.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2005, 01:21:26 PM »

Max Preeo has a listserve called CASTRECL (or, in its new format, Castrecl, which I can't get used to).  I'm not sure what the new protocol for subscribing is since they just changed servers.  Someone else probably will know.

Tales from the fringe department:  Most of you know that there was a feature article a little while ago in these parts about my Frances Farmer research.  Well I received a cryptic phone message at the church I work for (which was mentioned in the article) that some lady wanted to talk to me about Frances.  So I contact her by phone and she asks me to come to her house to look at some stuff she has.   Leaving her name, address and phone number with Betsy lest I ended up chopped up in little pieces and placed in a trash compactor, I went up there this morning.

Scary little house in a scary part of town.  But walk into her front room which is adorned with a gorgeous mint 3 sheet of Ebb Tide (Frances' only color film), halfsheet of Rhythm on the Range and an insert for Too Many Parents.  Then she pulls out the photos.  Quite a few I'd seen, but there was a great set of three candids from Come and Get It, with two of them being absolutely classic shots of what looks to me to be William Wyler (I need to track down some other pics of him from 1936 to be sure) screaming at her while she turns her head in an "I'm not listening to you" pose.  They are hilarious.

She also had a pressbook for South of Pago Pago, which I had never seen before.  It included one great three sheet that had imported the graphic of Frances from the original release of Come and Get It.  Wonder how that happened.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 01:23:33 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »

-That was in 12-tone - Here's my tone row - Get ready to make your matrix!  D, B-flat, C-sharp, C, G-sharp, F, A, C, E-flat, E, B, G.  *For those astute eyes/ears, the thirds are on purpose, sort of like what Alban Berg did in the Violin Concerto.

DRJose, isn't that the main theme from Britten's DEATH IN VENICE?

DRPennyO, I've missed you in New York!  Pack your woolies; it's getting colder.   I look forward to catching up, as well as a full report on your parents next week.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2005, 01:25:40 PM »

great to hear the BM version of GYPSY finally getting a decent release.  I'm sure Tomofoz will be over the moon - I understand it is one of his favourites !!!!!!!!! :)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »

In my college second year theory class we all had to compose a dodecaphonic piece, and I named mine "It Ain't Necessarily Row."  Yes, I managed to quote Gershwin in it.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »

Break-a-leg vibes to DR TCB

It's verboten, vishing "luck" on opening night
Take advice, don't think twice
Or your show will surely end
Up in the Scheiss!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2005, 01:31:39 PM »

What is the DVD forum/DVD site that was previously being discussed as a source about the upcoming release of "Li'l Abner"?????

DRRLP, check out talkinbroadway.com.  Max posts forthcoming things there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2005, 01:33:05 PM »

I, too, already have the Midler Gypsy on DVD.  I received a lovely little box loaded with lovely little cookies and biscotti from dear reader Jose.  So far, I've only sampled the biscotti, which is yummilicious and totally addictive.  I also received a lovely little box filled with lovely little CDs - I'm listening to Johnny Williams' groovy score to Penelope, which is part of a two CD Film Score Monthly release - the other CD is Henry Mancini's groovy score to Bachelor in Paradise.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2005, 01:37:22 PM »

Has anyone else notcied that Amazon.com doesn't give that exhaustive list of upcoming DVD releases for each Tuesday any more? Wonder why they stopped that? That's where I went every Wednesday to find out what was coming out the following Tuesday.

So, who else has a comprehensive list of the coming week's DVD releases?

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2005, 01:44:31 PM »

great to hear the BM version of GYPSY finally getting a decent release.  I'm sure Tomofoz will be over the moon - I understand it is one of his favourites !!!!!!!!! :)
I hope they use Ros Russell to dub the voice of Midler. If they cut all Bette's "mugging" to the camera, there won't be much of the movie left. lol.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »

Lovely quote OzDerek. At 59 - No lighting  at all is a better choice.
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2005, 01:49:07 PM »

the BM version of GYPSY

That about says it all.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up