Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 75023 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2005, 10:24:27 AM »

Just to give credit, that's my pal Phil Clark as Lorne Roy Wayne.  I met Phil when I did my very first TV guest shot on The Young Lawyers - he was a regular on the show.

Hisaka, I'd love to have the Kritzer books translated into Japanese and French.  Can you do it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2005, 10:25:18 AM »

Wonderful postings.  No, you don't have to sing other people's posts, just your own.  And loudly.  And we need some audio proof of said singing.  I want to hear a few sentences of the sung notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  We're singin' about our craziest behavior.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2005, 10:27:28 AM »

DR Ben - Thanks for your review/opinion about Good Vibrations.  I had been wondering what the buzz was right now.

It turns out a young man I had the pleasure of working with a few years ago, is making his Broadway debut in this show.  Tituss Burgess - he's the African-American of the four leads.  Amazing voice!  And a great sense of musicality.  I had seen his name listed in the press releases, but I wasn't sure it was really him until I checked out the press photos on the shows website.

I also know the Music Director/Conductor too, Susan Draus.  She was on the Mamma Mia! tour for a while, and she left the tour when she was asked by the Music Supervisor to come on board.

So, I do hope that the show does work out it's kinks and provides many weeks, months, years of employment for them, but...

I'm amazed John Carrafa was given this project, especially after his ridiculous choreography for Dance of the Vampires.  And his statements about having a "very sexy cast" with some of the "most amazing bodies" on Broadway really raised some flags for me.  And then looking at the cast photos, and seeing no one who is really drop-dead gorgeous or that appealing for that matter - and I do like eye candy.  The girls look like chorus girls do today, and the guys are on the Abercrombie & Fitch scale of body fat - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but not entirely appropriate for this period.  -And Tituss was never "known" for his body, and he wears a shirt in all the publicity stills. ;)  And I had also worked with Mr. Carrafa on A Little Night Music at the Kennedy Center...

*Oh, does the cast at least have tans?  I know the publicity stills were taken early on, but no one really seems to have that California tan.  Heck, if the cast of Mamma Mia! gets free tanning with their contracts...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:28:58 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2005, 10:31:54 AM »

Confidential to BK - You may want to run buy your mail/package place today...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2005, 10:34:59 AM »

...and buy some milk on the way back too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2005, 10:36:10 AM »

Evil Jonathan (from AMAZING RACE) has a website:

http://www.jonathanbakerandvictoriafuller.com/

I just scanned through it and now I dislike them more than ever.

I feel blah today.  Blah in my head, blah in my stomach.  I have no energy and I hurt my hand somehow because it aches when I flex it at the wrist (I haven't been able to perform a proper bye-bye all day.)

TOD:
My most outlandish public moment involved snow, vast amounts of alcohol, vast amounts of nudity, and the wife of the mayor of Princeton, NJ.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2005, 10:38:19 AM »

I wasn't sure it was really him until I checked out the press photos on the shows website.

Oh.  you thought it was the other Tituss Burgess!  

But doesn't he spell it with three S's, not all four?  Just so Equity doesn't get them confused?

:)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:38:36 AM by Stuart »

Ben

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2005, 10:38:42 AM »

Small world check:

Jose said:

"It turns out a young man I had the pleasure of working with a few years ago, is making his Broadway debut in this show.  Tituss Burgess"

and last year my Anthony worked with Tituss in a Fringe Show called Captain Gravy's Wavy Navy. Tituss does have an amazing voice and does great work but I think he's wasted in the sophomoric book sections of the show.

No tans, although the first act takes place in an unnamed town, perhaps upstate New York because in the rear projections as they start driving to CA there is a shot of the Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel, but when they get to CA the actors are all white and winter-looking (except for Tituss).

The guys are absolutely Abercrombie & Fitch types, except for the three leads, but then they came from an upstate New York factory town.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »

Re: "Lost" and the "shakycam" effect being discussed -- I have never noticed it much.

I am so totally immersed into the offbeat drama unfolding...and the wonderful character development flashbacks...that none of the devices being used to increase that sense of dizzying uncertainty register wrongly with me.

It's a brilliant show...even though the occasional episode fails to fully sustain the rush.

I still find "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" the most rewarding, albeit far too quickly gone, two hours of my week!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:40:29 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2005, 10:41:51 AM »

Confidential to BK - You may want to run buy your mail/package place today...

;D

Oh...my...golly!  Are mail/package places about to experience a price surge on the stock market?????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »

I'll be going by the mail place at one.  I can smell the package from here, however!  Oh, boy.

Just heard from my framing place - my order is ready.  I'd totally forgotten what I'd taken in there - the painting of Gloria Swanson that used to hang in the Wattles Mansion (I think that's how you spell "Wattles").  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2005, 10:49:55 AM »

Just so you know, "Wattles Mansion" was sung on a Db to C with the C falling on the final syllable of mansion.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2005, 10:52:26 AM »

I think the confusion over the Ozzie DVD of Mary Poppins is the way the box layout is on the back - they do list a 5.1 track and that is sitting next to the Dolby Digital logo, so people assume that's what it is (unless they've actually heard the track).  The 5.1 track IS the Enhanced Home Theater Mix track and it's horrible - my opinion is someone made a mistake in the transfer - it can't sound like that on purpose.  It's literally all reverb.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2005, 10:59:36 AM »

Small world check:

Jose said:

"It turns out a young man I had the pleasure of working with a few years ago, is making his Broadway debut in this show.  Tituss Burgess"

and last year my Anthony worked with Tituss in a Fringe Show called Captain Gravy's Wavy Navy. Tituss does have an amazing voice and does great work but I think he's wasted in the sophomoric book sections of the show.

No tans, although the first act takes place in an unnamed town, perhaps upstate New York because in the rear projections as they start driving to CA there is a shot of the Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel, but when they get to CA the actors are all white and winter-looking (except for Tituss).

The guys are absolutely Abercrombie & Fitch types, except for the three leads, but then they came from an upstate New York factory town.

:D

Or maybe

8)

is more appropriate for The Beach Boys...

-I wonder what the Beach Boys think/will think of the show.

Of course, I'm just trying to imagine Brian Wilson at Opening Night...

I'll be sending cards and maybe some treats up to them for opening.  I haven't seen or talked to Tituss in about two years, so, hopefully, it will be a nice surprise.  And, hopefully, I can see the show - and I better get comped in! - once Hallelujah, Baby! closes here in DC in mid-February... if it's still running by then.  But I guess if Dracula can creep on for a few months...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2005, 11:03:26 AM »

What is the DVD forum/DVD site that was previously being discussed as a source about the upcoming release of "Li'l Abner"?????

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2005, 11:09:36 AM »

My Dad wants to go grocery shopping... He wants to go by himself, well, he says he can go by himself, but...

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2005, 11:10:51 AM »

Vibes for Danise and her mother.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

It was first mentioned on the hometheaterforum.com board.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2005, 11:11:41 AM »

I sung the above post in a bossa nova rhythm.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2005, 11:16:58 AM »

I went through all the audio options - the 5.1 track is the "Enhanced Disney Home Theater Mix" and the 2.0 track is the theater mix, the same as on the US.  Unless I missed it or it's mislabeled.

hi bk - are you able to post a pic of the cover of your dvd?  will check to see if you have the correct 5.1 version as they may have sent you the "other" version that was released.  cheers from down under!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2005, 11:24:09 AM »

Safe travels to DR PennyO and good parent health vibes. ~~~~~~~

Btw, re: Alias.  As BK mentioned last night, it's sort of weird how they started the show (not bringing up anything about last season's cliffhanger).  Then finally when they brought it up, it didn't make sense to me.  I thought last year they showed something that dad had done TO SYDNEY.  I thought that is what the papers said.  

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

DR Dan-The-Man, re: Jonathan's TAR site:

It actually sort of made me like them a bit.  To know that he was disgusted by how he is being portrayed, says something (at least he is disgusted by it too!).  It tells me that either they edit people unfairly to have one evil team each season.  

Or what I think is probably the case this season, they edit stuff that happened to fit the story they want to create.  So even if Jonathan did 100 nice things and 3 crappy ones.  They will highlight the crappy things to portray him as a villain.

Btw, I'm not saying that he didn't do the things they showed him doing.  But I'd be interested to hear his point of view.  Since last season we found out that much of the stuff they showed Colin doing (screaming at Christie for example) never happened (and he was yelling at a bull!).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2005, 11:36:16 AM »

ozderek - it's the right one - the two-disc 40th Anniversary Edition that just came out.  I was quite careful when ordering it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2005, 11:36:51 AM »

I'm going to the framers now and then to do some errands and when I return I will let you know what was at the mail place.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2005, 11:52:44 AM »

Thank you elmore & DRLaura.

Bruce the episode you watched of LOST was unusually terrible.  Maybe you will give it another chance.  It is a shame you didn’t watch the previous episode.  TIVO it and speed through the commercials.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2005, 11:56:46 AM »

Their future flows in their DNA - 2 grandchildren engaged to be married this coming year

Yes, I'd say that if those grandchildren marry, their offspring may have a teeny bit of a DNA problem
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2005, 12:08:56 PM »

DR Elan et al...  Back to Eighty-Eights...

It was Erv Raible, Rochelle Seldin, and ??
-Oh, did you ever run into Perry Payne (was Esleeck until the divorce)?  I knew her here in DC, and we did some shows together.  I lost track of her when she moved to NYC, but would sometimes get greetings from her - and vice versa - from people who had seen her at Eighty-Eights.
Karen Miller was the third member of the musical trinity (the only trinity I ever did, or will, believe in  ;D), and singlehandedly responsible for introducing me to the piano bar world (we ran into each other at a Sam Goody's where I was looking for a "Forbidden Broadway" cast recording. She asked "oh, do you like showtunes?" and the rest, as they say, is history). Eighty-Eight's played a major part in my finding The Lovely Wife(tm), so it has a particularly powerful place in my heart.

I indeed saw Perry Payne (I never knew her as anything else) many times at Eighty-Eights and several other piano bars in the city (Rose's Turn and Judy's, if memory serves). A lovely woman with a great voice. I haven't seen her around recently, but she may well still be on the circuit.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:27 PM »

the first act takes place in an unnamed town, perhaps upstate New York because in the rear projections as they start driving to CA there is a shot of the Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel

By definition, if they were coming from upstate New York, they wouldn't be taking the Holland Tunnel to go west.  They'd have to have some reason to travel East and to the lower part of Manhattan.

As you know, I'd never comment on a show I haven't seen.  As WRITER'S BLOCK aptly reminds us, getting a musical ready for Broadway takes the hard work of all the collaborators.  That would include the composer, the lyricist, the librettist, and all the directorial staff.   Things always need changing, to say the least: a lyric here, a note there.  Hard work, indeed, and, if you're missing key members of the staff (is there a composer or a lyricist in the house?) well, you're screwed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2005, 12:21:12 PM »

Vixmom your flashing “coming attractions” made it difficult for me to read your great story of singing for your supper.  ;D The Liberty Dinner didn’t happen to be in New Jersey?

Denise I was shocked to read your mother asked to go to the doctor.  Best of vibes to you both.
Stuart have a good trip and visit with your mother and DB Jay.

Matt H your beach story made me laugh.  When I’m in a good mood I enjoy skipping.

Jennifer, we knew she wasn’t the “sweet girl” we see on the beach.

Penny, good travels and good vibes surviving night duty.

Noel- ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up