Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLOBAL NOTES  (Read 81543 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE GLOBAL NOTES
« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2005, 02:05:11 PM »

What's even more fascinating is that certain people on my "Buddy" list disappear at exactly the same time.  I keep many interesting names on my "Buddy" list.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »

How long does the show run, TCB?

Sadly,  NATIONAL PASTIME is part of the theater's "Second Season" made up of several smaller works and not part of their regular season.  So, the show is playing only eight performances -- six regular performances and two Command Performances purchased by organizations, like last night's African-American Museum fundraiser.  We are also giving two school performances as part of a Federal grant we received.  Given some of the show's racial language, the school performances will hopefully be for older school children.

Sadly, for me, the show will be just a memory following the matinee on January 16.  A lot of work for so few performances, but the experience of a lifetime.

As I think I mentioned last night, NATIONAL PASTIME is scheduled for its professional theater premiere, March 18 at the Fremont Centre Theatre in South Pasadena.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2005, 02:22:33 PM »

DR RLP wrote earlier today:  

"NBC, at one point, promoed an "all new 'Committed'" following "Will and Grace," but it was a repeat of the first episode. "

On the East Coast, we got a WILL & GRACE rerun after the new show (I think; I was watching CSI amd recording the new W&G).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2005, 02:30:14 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but was this some sort of strange hybrid combining Salome with Little Black Sambo?  It sounds delightful.  :)

Back from B&N, and my feet ache!  DRJMK, if memory serves, SALAMBO is one of those "exotic" novels, like THAIS and SAPHO, from 19th Century France, by Anatole France, I do believe.  Perhaps Pierre Louys wrote it, one of those "decadent" writers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2005, 02:32:37 PM »

elmore, I know you won't go to The Drama Bookshop - she'd actually called there on her own.  Who knows if it will even happen.  But you can come to the other signing, because there will have to be two for me to make the trip.  And then there will be our marvelous get-togethers.  I may be in for PennyO's show, too.

Dear Friend BK, I'll follow you anywhere in NYC except for The Drama Book Shop, but any trip you make East is a welcome event.  I think the Eastern contingent of HHW should book the opening night of Penny's show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2005, 02:33:34 PM »

Congrats on the preview performance, DR TCB, and here's wishing you another broken leg for opening night!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

Hmmmmmm can't find it on the IRT site - maybe it was a different play about the same subject....but I remember some of my friends in the show....hmmmmmm....two plays about the same thing.

I know there are several other recent plays or productions about Jackie Robinson.  One is called EVERYBODY'S HERO and another is called STEALIN' HOME.  I believe that the March production in California is the first professional theater production of NATIONAL PASTIME.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2005, 02:35:06 PM »

I was supposed to have a date tonight, and yet here I am. Why?

Canceled! But we've rescheduled for NEXT Friday night. Hmmm. This may be the date that never happens.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2005, 02:35:51 PM »

Here's That Rainy Day - my favorite rain song.  I also like Isn't this a Lovely Day (to be Caught in the Rain).  What are other favorite rain songs.

SOON IT'S GONNA RAIN
I LOVE TO WALK IN THE RAIN
RAINING IN MY HEART

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2005, 02:36:21 PM »

Thank you, one and all, for the broken legs.  They are much appreciated.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »

That's it....I think STEALIN' HOME is the play I am thinking of ...thanks TCB!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:04 PM »

Sadly, for me, the show will be just a memory following the matinee on January 16.

So, what will you be doing on The Night of January 16 (an Ayn Rand reference)?   ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:09 PM »

SOON IT'S GONNA RAIN
I LOVE TO WALK IN THE RAIN
RAINING IN MY HEART

Does IT'S RAINING MEN count?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »

So, what will you be doing on The Night of January 16 (an Ayn Rand reference)?   ::)

Actually, JMK, I will probably spend that evening quietly with friends.  It is the 11th anniversary of the day my Mother was killed.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2005, 02:40:42 PM »

Crisis Averted/All Clear

I’m please to say that Mom is doing well now.  I can’t thank you all enough for the wonderful vibes that I am sure helped.  

I

DRDanise, good news!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: January 07, 2005, 02:43:05 PM »

I am reluctant to go to bed tonight for fear that on awakening tomorrow morning I will spend the entire morning reading posts from yesterday that were posted after I go to bed (even though it's not yesterday today, it's today and it won't be yesterday until tomorrow, does that make any sense ;-)

DRBen, you sound like Gertrude Stein.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #316 on: January 07, 2005, 02:46:16 PM »

DRBen, you sound like Gertrude Stein.

That's amazing, because I make brownies just like Alice B. Toklas!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #317 on: January 07, 2005, 02:47:57 PM »

Good Afternoon! Evenin'!

Whew!  I've spent the past few hours go through various small bundles of mail.  One bundle=the mail I picked up back home in Richmond on Mondays.  I had more bundles than I should have had at this point.  Thankfully, there were no "surprises", and all my bills seem to have gotten paid on time.  -Of course, there was all the junk mail and end of year solicitations from various organizations.  *I've always wondered if it would be possible to have a "Only ask me for money once a year" option for certain organizations.  I would like to give more and more often, but I just can't.  I'm sure others are in the same boat.  I bet all those pennies saved from not mailing out solicitations every few weeks would add up.  In any case...

I just made some dinner, some frozen Italian chicken and sausage concoction.  Actually, quite tasty.

My Dad headed out to the Korean market.  If he's not back in 20 minutes then I'll head out myself.  -It's only three blocks away, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #318 on: January 07, 2005, 02:49:21 PM »

DR Danise - Great news about your mom.  Hope you're able to get some rest this weekend.

-Btw, is your Mom perhaps interested in a slightly used karaoke machine?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #319 on: January 07, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »

DR TCB - Congrats!  And Merde! for your official opening.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #320 on: January 07, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »

I Love To Walk In The Rain...great Shirley Temple song.

I do not love walking in the rain today,however.  The Lovely Wife and I were thinking about shooting down the hill into Hollywood and going to see Sideways at the Arclight.  But I shot over to the driveway with Tewkes just now and got drenched while he took a loooong wee before his bladder burst and that was enough rain for today, thank you.(Tewkes looked very trendy in his yellow rain slicker and hood).

Have we forgot that classic Kelly song, "Singing and Limboing in the Rain"?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #321 on: January 07, 2005, 02:51:34 PM »

That's amazing, because I make brownies just like Alice B. Toklas!   ;D

But you don't swallow!

Danise

« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2005, 02:52:28 PM »

Hi Folks!

Wow!  What a lot of posts!

So ya’ll were dancing the night away!  I don’t remember seeing any of you doing the Pony.  Can we dance the Pony next?

Dear TCB, I’m so sorry for the let down on the review.  At least it wasn’t a bad review.  

I hope all is well for you, DR Penny O.  Having older parents is such a mixed blessing.  I swear sometimes I feel like the parent.  I’m sure you do as well.

I wanted to tell you that I used to go to “Rocky Horror” quite a few times in my younger years as well.  I remember borrowing my Mom’s lighter and taking the toast, toilet paper (Scott’s, of course), rice, newspaper, squirt qun, and I can’t remember what all else to the show.  Ours was very interactive.  I would have hated to be the one who had to clean up afterwards.  

I also have to say that I love “Lost”.  It’s the first show that I look forward to seeing in a long time.  I still watch “Joan of Arcadia” and “Jag”.  Some of you are teaching me to like TAR.  I haven’t seen it from the beginning but have seen enough to enjoy it.  That catch up show was a BIG help.  

I forgot about “Medium” so I didn’t see it.  

For my California friends:

Is that what is raining like? ;D

DR Jose, hummm, I don't know about Mom but I might be!   ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2005, 02:52:33 PM »

"Singin' in the Rain" the way Judy Garland sings it in LITTLE NELLY KELLY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »

OH!  One of the things I took care of over the past few hours was cancelling my Cable TV service in Richmond.  -It will be effective this coming Tuesday.  -Slowly breaking the chain...  Since I'm only back on Mondays, and there's not much on Mondays that I like watching - not even some cable favorites... Maybe I'll finally get some DVD watching done!  -And my roomie was interested in setting up his own cable-modem account... And now he can.

Best of all, I get a nice refund (since they pro-rate the bills) and the deposit back from my cable box!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2005, 02:55:05 PM »

You know, Tom....sometimes critics have a hard time appreciating characters in plays that they despise.

It's not the actor playing the part, but the part itself...and it's hard for the writer to praise the actor even when the actor has made the character breathe!

Stick to your performance...

Re:  Lada Edmund Jr. and "Hullabaloo"...I'm shocked, I tell you... SHOCKED...that no one has mentioned the OTHER featured "Hullabaloo" dancer...one Miss Donna McKechnie who got equal prominence so far as I can recall.  Lada got attention for her name and her hair, but both dancers were front and center...and McKechnie was, to my mind, the better dancer.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2005, 03:15:35 PM »

RLP...You were gauging their dancing ability...?  Most of Lada's fans were obsessing about other things.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2005, 03:18:10 PM »

DR Jose, hummm, I don't know about Mom but I might be!   ;) :D

Sssshh... I won't tell if you won't...

:-X

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2005, 03:19:28 PM »

RLP...You were gauging their dancing ability...?  Most of Lada's fans were obsessing about other things.

:D

Go Figure!

Lada, as I recall, appeared nearly flat-chested.  Donna had the nicer rack...

(Apologies all around for the sexist comment)!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »

OK... Time for me to get ready to head in...

Laters
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up