Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH AND LOW  (Read 69910 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:HIGH AND LOW
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2005, 08:24:04 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Elvis (you never know).

He knows:

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2005, 08:27:57 AM »

Off to breakfast, then to Sierra Madre for Treasure.  Keep the home fries burning.

Danise

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2005, 08:32:02 AM »

BK, I thought that maybe you could have special section on the site for the pictures you took the other day.  

Elvis at 70.  Now there's a thought.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2005, 08:34:44 AM »

Catching up on various peoples' posts:

Re:  Rosemary Kennedy.  Yes, I of course have something to say.  It was the infamous Dr. Walter Freeman, who was alleged to have performed the transorbital on Frances, who did the prefrontal on Rosemary (this was before Walter had the great idea to use an icepick).  It was one of several botched operations he did through his career.  Speaking of which, Jack El-Hai's most excellent biography The Lobotomist will be out in just a few weeks.  I got an advance copy and it's a chilling read, though El-Hai wisely chooses not to vilify Freeman.  Interesting that there is evidently a 1961 Saturday Evening Post article about Rosemary--I've collected SEPs since I was a kid (I have them going back to the 1800s), so I will have to look to see if I have this particular issue.

Re:  BeeGee ringing the doorbell.  Yup, he still rings it.  We are dealing with his "drama King" yelping when we attempt to trim his nails.  It was hilarious last night.  He started letting out these extremely pitiful yelps when he saw Betsy holding the clippers--and we weren't even near his feet yet.  Our old dog Sasha, whom BeeGee much resembles physically and in temperament, used to do the very same thing.  We had a professional groomer then who used to come to our house, and it got so bad that she started giving us doggie tranquilizers to give to Sasha a couple of hours before the appointment.  We may have to do the same thing with BeeGee.

Re:  Brad and Jen.  I played a kind of mean, but oh, so funny trick, on Betsy last night.  I saw the news on AOL, and I went out to her in the kitchen and said, with dire seriousness, "Honey, there's some very bad news on the computer.  I just want to warn you before you sit down to check your email."  She smiled--thinking I was joking, then when I didn't crack, she became very serious and concerned.  "Brad and Jen have split."  I'll be able to extract the rolling pin from the back of my head some time today, I'm positive.  ;)

Re:  DR François:  he is a wonderful resource for the French sections of my book.  Thank you, but I still need to know about THE ONE!!

Re:  Cedillas.  (Sung to the tune of Maria:)

Cedilla
I just gave my c a cedilla
And suddenly I'm French
A very savvy mensch
Am I

And finally re:  Bacharach.  As I mentioned a while back, I'm doing an original Bacharach revue up here, which we are crafting from scratch.  I absolutely love Lost Horizon, even the movie part.  So sue me.  I'm about 5 or 6 years older than the two actor/singers in this production, and that difference in age is amazing when it comes to Bacharach.  They had never heard of Are You There (With Another Girl), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Wishin' and Hopin', and a lot of Burt's other early hits.  I of course, being the resident Sergio Mendes freak(tm), love Look of Love (sorry, I know some people consider it a Dusty Springfield tune, but Sergio's version was a much bigger hit, and the arrangement, IMHO, is heads and shoulders above Dusty's, especially with that deliciously unexpected 1/2 step modulation after the first eight).  I also love Promises, Promises, but the backers' demo for that show proves that even Bacharach/David could write some real clunkers.  "Let's Pretend We're Grown Up."  Need I say more?  :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 08:47:00 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2005, 08:46:21 AM »

I thought that people who read the books would enjoy seeing the real places but it's hard for them to find them inside a thread.  There should be a place on the site for people to go look at them.

And for Writers Block as well since the places were real for it as well.  It gave me great pleasure to know I had dined at the same restaurant as one of the key scenes.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:06 AM »

I took some photos on my walk with Abie. So here are some On Location photos of The Storm of 2005...

The Wonderdog contemplating a puddle....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 08:55:41 AM by Panni »

JMK

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:11 AM »

To the tune of They Call The Wind Maria:

The EU has a country full
of 50 million Frenchmen
Policing all cedilla use with
punctuation henchmen

Cedilla
Cedilla
They call that weird little thing under the c
Cedilla

(OK, so that last line isn't quite scanning right, but give me a break).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2005, 08:56:56 AM »

My spiffy (borrowed) rainboots....

Panni

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2005, 08:58:08 AM »

The lack of proper drainage in the City of Studio results in....

JMK

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2005, 08:59:27 AM »

I took some photos on my walk with Abie. So here are some On Location photos of The Storm of 2005...

Abie looking the other way reminds me of a joke I told to ease our grief when our collie Ethel had to be put down a couple of years ago (long time HHWers will remember probably).  Now, Ethel was not the brightest bulb in the pack, in fact she was as dingy as any dog I've ever had.  Our older dog Sasha had died about a year previously and we had for all the years we had had them both joked that Sasha was always lamenting the fact that she had a cerebral cortex while Ethel was sorely lacking in brain matter.

So, anyway, the vet had come to administer Ethel's shot and had taken her away and we were, of course, very sad.  And then Betsy said, "Sasha is probably waiting for her."

At which point, I, doing a 'Sasha-voice' said, "Toward the light, Ethel, I told you to run toward the light."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 09:00:58 AM by JMK »

Panni

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2005, 08:59:51 AM »

The home environment. Looks rather pretty. The tall palm tree lost a huge branch onto my balcony.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2005, 09:03:13 AM »

Okay - NOW I'm gone. (All my Bacharach faves have been mentioned.)

Danise

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

I see you use a halter on Abbie when you walk, Panni.  I do the same for B & B.   I've read that it is not good to walk a dog with the lead attached to the collar around their neck.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2005, 09:11:35 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Well, I just got up from an impromptu nap, and now I must get up and get read to head in for today's shows...

Keep those home fries burning...

-With or without ketchup?  Tabasco!!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2005, 09:13:07 AM »

Ann I hope today is a good one for you.

TCB-congrats on last night.  Today’s activities sound very interesting.

Good weather vibes to Joey, JRand and everyone who needs them.

Hisaka, When I drive and use my cell phone (which is legal here) I use a head set.  I also pay more attention to my driving than to my phone conversation.  The phone has come in handy many a time to get me directions, after getting lost, to where I’m going.

Jose, feel better quickly.

JMK

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »

Say it isn't so department:  I just opened the new Entertainment Weekly to see the full page ad for Phantom, proclaiming:

THE FILM.
The classic musical
comes to the big screen
for the first time.

Does this mean they're planning more times?  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   ;D

Danise

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2005, 09:26:06 AM »

TCB, I'm so happy you had such a nice opening night!  You must have broke at least one leg to do so!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2005, 09:38:38 AM »

Probably hoping to avoid the blame!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2005, 09:41:07 AM »

I was reading about the upcoming releases that Paramount, Universal, and Warner Bros. are planning for high definition DVD for September 2005. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was one of them (of course, it'll be released in standard definition DVD long before then). Then, I went to a magazine website that had the complete rundown on this high definition format war that is ongoing between the two differing modes of HD on DVD.

The article was listing the wonderful slate of releases in HD that Warners and the others were planning: all three HARRY POTTERS, all three MATRIX films, the two BOURNE IDENTITY/SUPREMACY films, etc. and not one mention of POTO meaning to me that it hasn't registered significantly to be a selling point for the new format. (They even mentioned, of all things, VAN HELSING!) Maybe if it turns into a monster hit, Warners will start using it more in their trumpeting for the new format, but so far, it hasn't been.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2005, 09:45:59 AM »

Panni thanks for the pics.  I must admit I had expected to see more water on the streets.  It appears while the rain has eased up the water is draining quickly.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2005, 09:56:31 AM »

Panni thanks for the pics.  I must admit I had expected to see more water on the streets.  It appears while the rain has eased up the water is draining quickly.

But not the traffic:

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2005, 09:57:48 AM »

Jan. 4: Residents survey a downtown street after 17 inches of snow fell in Flagstaff, Ariz

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2005, 10:00:04 AM »

Surmounting all obstacles, MacMan arrives at Chez Kimmel to install wireless set-up:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2005, 10:14:15 AM »

Back from breakfasting with the Pogues at Du-Par's.  This was Julieanne's inspiration, and we had a lovely time, and we laughed and laughed and just when we thought we could laugh no more, we laughed again.

Rather shocked to see no one here - no one here but us chickens.  I think that to get over my shock that no one is here that I shall do the Limbo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2005, 10:14:54 AM »

Ooh, some people showed up whilst I was a'tapping on my keyboard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2005, 10:16:21 AM »

There, I have now done the Limbo and I am limber.  Perhaps I'll eat some limburger cheese.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2005, 10:17:30 AM »

Or is that limberger?  Or is that limbbergur?  Perhaps I won't eat some limburger cheese.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2005, 10:27:02 AM »

Mr. Mac Man showed me how to do something but I've forgotten - so can a Mac user please tell me the following:

I know if I want to highlight a whole block of songs I highlight the top, press shift, and click on the final song and everything is highlighted.  But, what if I only want to highlight certain songs?  There's some Apple shortcut to do that, but I can't remember Apple what.  Can someone tell me how to do it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »

Did you notice elmore left without saying hello?  I'm on my way to the Madre of Sierra and will return shortly.  Hopefully some denizens will have arrived by then and hopefully someone will have answered my Mac question by then.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2005, 10:50:36 AM »

..and then we laughed some more!

I think someone should come up with a new dance craze called the Cameltoe Limbo...Don't ask me to describe it!  DansssseSsssalome!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up