Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"  (Read 74154 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"
« on: January 08, 2005, 11:59:12 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're uncovered their deepest meaning, you are in-the-know, notes-wise, and now it is time for you to post until the arbitrary cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:05:03 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:06:50 AM »

Imelda Staunton might win the Oscar. You heard it here first. If she's nominated for a Golden Globe, she'll win that.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 12:07:18 AM »

G'night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »

Frug!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 12:20:51 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to VERY occasional reader Evil Twin.  

Pony!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 12:21:36 AM »

Imelda Staunton is a very well respected actress in Britain.  It seems to me she has been in several Branagh and/or Emma Thompson films...Much Ado comes to mind; as does Peter's Friends.  The Lovely Wife and I saw her as Adelaide in her Olivier-nominated (winning?) performance in Guys & Dolls at the National.  I might have seen her in some other stuff too.  Can't remember.  She may well get the Oscar for Vera Drake and I wouldn't mind that at all.

Jose, rats on the second floor are more common in Califonria than you think.  We have a breed here known as tree rats, that scamper on roofs and get into houses through various and sundry means.  In our old house in Beachwood Canyon, we had them running inside the walls of our house, going "scrabble, scrabble, scrabble, eek, eek , eek."  Charming.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 12:21:39 AM »

I'm in my total sixties mode now - I want to put on my shimmy shirt and get in a cage and dance like Lada.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 12:22:11 AM »

Interestingly, I dated someone named Lada.  She was never in a cage, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 12:24:41 AM »

I'm suddenly not tired.  How can that be?  Of course, I slept a bit during Attack of the Mushroom People.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »

What am I, Shelly Berman all of a sudden?  I'm doing a monologue all of a sudden?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »

Tonight we had another electrifying performance of NATIONAL PASTIME.  No standing ovation, but the audience was generally blown away by the show.  Theater friends and coworkers, some that I have known for twenty to thirty years, have been coming to see the show, and afterwards, have been offering me some pretty heady compliments.  I could get used to this kind of praise.  Maybe it is lucky that we only run two weeks.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 12:49:29 AM »

I'm sure the praise is more than well-deserved.  Only wish I could get there to see it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 12:49:55 AM »

I've just put on my go-go boots.  I cannot be stopped.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 01:08:01 AM »

Hisaka - shall we dance?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:14:22 AM »

I'm sure the praise is more than well-deserved.  Only wish I could get there to see it.

Thanks, BK, I wish you could too.

Is it possible to limbo in go-go boots???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 01:28:55 AM »

Jose, rats on the second floor are more common in Califonria than you think.  We have a breed here known as tree rats, that scamper on roofs and get into houses through various and sundry means.  In our old house in Beachwood Canyon, we had them running inside the walls of our house, going "scrabble, scrabble, scrabble, eek, eek , eek."  Charming.  
Ah, yes, the rats.  We had them, too, because they loved the avocado tree in our back yard.  They would occasionally get into the house, and we had to set up glue-traps to catch them.  Marty also loved to catch them, and was a fairly good ratter.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 01:33:58 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Health vibes to Jose[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 03:39:49 AM »

NO MORE RATS!!

DRPANNI - Here in Indiana when we travel on the highway, we call it by the number....."Take '70' to the airport......go west on '465' to '65'.  I don't remember ever calling a road "the highway" because without the number no one would know what I was talking about.  All of the news & traffic reporters on television also identify them by number.

VERA DRAKE...hmmmmmmmmmm.....

DRGEORGE had company from hell yesterday, it seems.

Getting ready for a lovely board meeting later today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 03:40:33 AM »

Congratulations DR TCB!!!  

"NO RAT" VIBES TO DR PANNI.

HEALTH VIBES TO DR JOSE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 05:13:11 AM »

How arbitrary is "U"?   It is certainly U-biquitous!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 05:29:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 05:29:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm feeling much better today.  Thanks for all the vibes.  I hope you're feeling spryer today, DRJose!

Getting out of bed to see only 18 posts seemed much more like my usual reality as well, so everything seems back to normal today, whatever normal means.  

I thought "Bad Education" was a wonderful film.   Some of Almodovar's early films like the one about the crazy nuns with Carmen Maura and "Law of Desire" were very funny but messy, like early John Waters films.  I think the first film of his I thought was actually good was "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown."  

I liked Imelda Staunton in Trevor Nunn's film of "Twelfth Night," which I wish would arrive on DVD in the near future.  She's also Mrs Macawber in the last BBC "David Copperfield" with Maggie Smith as Aunt Betsy and Daniel Radcliffe as young David.

Today's an incident-crammed day:  brunch with a former colleague of the Barnes and Noble finishing school who'se now teaching elementary school and, later in the afternoon, a visit with Ian Marshall Fisher, who runs the series of Encores!-like musicals in concert in London.  I've worked on two presentations for him and BBC Radio 3:  my restoration of "Jubilee" and "The Gay Divorce."

Anyone thinking about coming to NYC for Penny's show?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2005, 06:14:42 AM »

DR Elmore:

Can you give me a little more infor about the dates for Jewish Thighs On Broadway? I might be able to fly up to NYC for a couple of days.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 06:20:04 AM »

DR Elmore:

Can you give me a little more infor about the dates for Jewish Thighs On Broadway? I might be able to fly up to NYC for a couple of days.

DRMichael Shayne,  I don't know the dates!  I'm waiting for DRPennyO or DRJose to supply them.  I think the opening is sometime around March 17.  HELP!!!

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 06:29:26 AM »

DRMichael Shayne,  I don't know the dates!  I'm waiting for DRPennyO or DRJose to supply them.  I think the opening is sometime around March 17.  HELP!!!

In my research last night, here's where I found the particulars:

www.jewishthighs.com

Glad to hear you're feeling better today, Elmore.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 06:31:28 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 06:35:40 AM »

In my research last night, here's where I found the particulars:

www.jewishthighs.com

Glad to hear you're feeling better today, Elmore.

Thank you, DRGinny!  It's so nice to have a librarian on duty.  March 16 is a Wednesday, I believe.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 06:57:41 AM »

Just when you think Broadway ads can't get any uglier, there's ...

Today's full-page Sweet Charity ad in the NY Times, with a wide-eyed (as in a Keene painting) Christina Applegate sipping through a straw. She's set against a tacky flower-power backdrop, with the words "Do you want to have fun?" screaming from the petals.

And why no mention of Bob Fosse? Even if they're not drawing on his choreography/direction, he did get a "conceived by" credit for the original production.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 07:05:02 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2005, 07:15:41 AM »

I haven't seen POTO (the movie), but read that it includes a new song, "Learn to Be Lonely." Isn't this a little too obvious a borrowing from the A DOLL'S LIFE song (a stunning piece, IMHO)? (I still wonder if POTO's "savor each sensation" lyric was lifted from CELEBRATION.)

(I just checked and learned that the phrase "learn to be lonely" actually comes from another Ibsen Play, ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, as adapted by Arthur Miller.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 09:20:45 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2005, 07:51:26 AM »

"U" as in OSULA

OSULA stands for Osaka Sangyo University, Los Angeles. We are located in the Los Angeles, California suburb of Studio City. OSULA was founded in 1989, on the grounds of the former Corvallis High School for girls. We remodelled, added computer labs and a 120-bed student dormitory.

OSULA is located in Studio City, in a sun-drenched corner of the vibrant San Fernando Valley, just northwest of the heart of Los Angeles. Our location is safe and convenient, and is within walking distance of excellent shopping areas, restaurants, and medical facilities.

Well, sun-drenched went to rain-soaked and the "safe and convenient" dorm now looks like this:

CAPTION: A Los Angeles firefighter carrries boards to shore up a Osaka Sangyo University dormitory building where a tree fell during Friday's storm in Studio City.
(Ken Hively / LAT)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2005, 08:19:56 AM »

Imelda Staunton might win the Oscar. You heard it here first. If she's nominated for a Golden Globe, she'll win that.

It's going to be close between Imelda, Annette Bening in BEING JULIA, and Hillary Swank for MILLION DOLLAR BABY. These ladies have split most of the critics' acting awards between them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2005, 08:23:21 AM »

I will probably get to COLLATERAL today. No reason not to go ahead and watch it. I'll report my opinions on it later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up