Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"  (Read 72629 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2005, 08:01:48 PM »

Lovely pictures, DRKERRY.  By the way, I am lemon meringue!

Abbott & Costello Meet Kudo Head and the Green Blob - now ya got a movie!

I used to get scones mixed up with sconces - so I didn't ever want to eat one.

That rain out on the left coast seems to be serious!  I hope there weren't a lot of outdoor shoots planned for the past few weeks.

My favorite musicals into movies are the usual suspects:

THE PAJAMA GAME, LI'L ABNER, and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

One of my favorite ORIGINAL movie musicals is RED GARTERS!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2005, 08:04:57 PM »

Page Seven Creature Dance....cue Music!  :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2005, 08:05:40 PM »

'24' started another slam-bang magnificent season with two back-to-back episodes that introduce a bunch of new characters and get us involved almost instantly in another dastardly plot to terrorize the US.

What's so fantastic about this show is how they spin out cliffhangers on the multiple plots going on among the characters.

Two more hours tomorrow night. Gut-gripping suspense for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »

We have a lull, ladies and germs, and I don't mean at haineshisway.com - I mean, the rain has stopped for a moment - Eureka, I can go put my car away.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2005, 08:08:05 PM »

When I was a senior in high school, we were studying one of Shakespeare's plays (I don't remember which one, and I didn't read it anyway) and for an assignment, we had to make food that people in Shakespeare's day ate and bring it to class. I looked up some Elizabethan English food, and it was all pretty gross (like this thing called "love-in-disguise." Blech!)...I don't even think the ingredients for that are legal to feed to people. ...
Still catching up, but here's a recipe...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2005, 08:15:25 PM »

Well, I'll eat anything with cherries in it - I love cherries.
Ah, a story: The Randy Vicar and the Lost Cherry Scone.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2005, 08:15:58 PM »

:D  Will you wait until October?

If you are not long, I will wait forever :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2005, 08:17:47 PM »

Oh, I've stepped on DR Jane's line. Sorry! You may, of course save yourself for her, high tea-wise, DR Elmore.

Perhaps we can go looking for marzipan pigs?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2005, 08:20:34 PM »

Yet another recipe, calling for more than water and a mix...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2005, 08:21:17 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the shows.  Mr. Laurents came back in today - he had some minor rewrites he wanted put in.  There was also a sort of mistake that occured during the men's duet in the second act.  Mr. Laurents saw - and heard it - and now it's in for good...

...But the contractor, drummer and I went to a new Thai restaurant in Arlington, and had a very good meal.  Unfortunately, upon leaving, the drummer and I both reliazed that the new Thai place supplanted a very good Chinese place.  We kept thinking the place we were thinking about was on the next block, but, alas, it wasn't - it was right where we had just dined.  Very strange too since the Chinese restaurant was always packed.  -They also stayed open until 2:00AM too during the week (3:00AM on the weekends) - I'd stop there after shows sometime if I needed a good late night Chinese food fix.

Life goes on.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

DR PennyO - Thanks for the schedule!  ;)

-And the name correction!  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2005, 08:28:21 PM »

I am already teary-eyed about The Marvelous Story of Kudo-Head and the Giant Green Blob because I just know that the Valerie Bertinelli/teacher-with-a-life-threatening-illness character is going to buy it.

*Sniff!*
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »

Technology-wise, it's been a disappointing weekend for me.  After working all day at the House of Mom putting away Christmas, I drove to Best Buy with the sole purpose of buying a DVD recorder with a 120 gig harddrive.  However, as I was scanning the shelves for a pack of recordable DVDs, I realized that the Panasonic unit I picked up records and plays only DVD R-.  Since my friends often lend me DVDs that they've made, I prefer to have a unit that is more versatile I prefer a DVD player/recorder that handles all the formats.

On the other hand, I picked up Turbo Tax.  Now I can do my taxes!  Hoo and ray.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 08:40:36 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »

Ah, but don't forget the scene where Valerie Bertinelli/Teacher-With-A-Life-Threatining-Illness valiantly saves Kudohead from the thoughtless Janitor (played by Eddie Van Halen, in a scruffy disguise...or is it a disguise?  Hmmmm.....).

Kerry

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2005, 08:43:20 PM »

Sandra-- how can chocolate be gross?

Bruce-

And why do I have re-log in evertime I leave the site?  Of course it's worth it, but it's a pain, and I have the "Forever" category checked.

Jane logged off before the I posted the pics of Sugar.  She had said in a note that she would like to see some.
But this way EVERYONE gets to enjoy them!
I like boat races.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »

Great photos, DR Kerry. But may I say that Santa looks decidedly Jewish.

I am now done working for the day. If it's not raining too hard I may walk out and treat myself to a hot chocolate mit Schlagge.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2005, 08:48:51 PM »

RE: Scones - It really is hard to find a proper English scone this side of the Atlantic.  When bakeries and coffee houses started adding scones to their menus in the US, they were pretty close to their English models.  Unfortunately, as time has gone by, the whole "bigger is better" mentality has taken over, and what passes for a scone in most places is more closely related to a doorstop - and they're usually heavy enough to be used as one.

I think I mentioned this before... When my father was in the hospital, he was given a box of scones.  There were two scones in the box, and they filled the box!  It looked like the scone mixture had been patted into an 8X8 pan, and then that was sliced in half on the diagonal.  No dainty scones were these.

However, for some really good scones in the DC area, stay tuned for my next post...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2005, 08:48:53 PM »

Perhaps we can go looking for marzipan pigs?

I think that would be a charming thing to do.

Panni

« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:32 PM »

A Grand Announcement...
Today I ordered an All Region DVD player. Now I will be able to play DVDs of all religions.

MBarnum

« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2005, 08:52:35 PM »

Technology-wise, it's been a disappointing weekend for me.  After working all day at the House of Mom putting away Christmas, I drove to Best Buy with the sole purpose of buying a DVD recorder with a 120 gig harddrive.  However, as I was scanning the shelves for a pack of recordable DVDs, I realized that the Panasonic unit I picked up records and plays only DVD R-.  Since my friends often lend me DVDs that they've made, I prefer to have a unit that is more versatile I prefer a DVD player/recorder that handles all the formats.

Dan, you may want to double check...it would be unusual for the machine not to play both DVD -R and DVD + R...although I could be wrong.

My DVD burner only records/burns DVD + R, but plays both +R and - R.

Kerry

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2005, 08:58:38 PM »

Going back to Burt Bacharach from yesterday (?), I also like "Reflections" and "The Things I will Not Miss" from "Lost Horizon."   I love the lyrics to "Where Knowledge Ends (Faith Begins)," but I think the music for it sucks.  It could be a great song if anyone BUT Burt Bacharach had written the melody.  (no hitting, Bruce)

He made up for it with "Tick Tock Goes the Clock" though.  You alll remember that scene from "Lost Horizon" when all  the secretaries in Shangri-La get together and sing.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2005, 09:00:09 PM »

Dan, you may want to double check...it would be unusual for the machine not to play both DVD -R and DVD + R...although I could be wrong.

My DVD burner only records/burns DVD + R, but plays both +R and - R.

I just double checked the Panasonic model I was considering at the Best Buy website and it states under the stats:

• Plays back DVD, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, CD, V-CD, CD-R/RW and MP3-formatted discs

I also think it's odd that a recorder/player would only handle one format.  I'll have to do some on-line browsing and see if there's a recorder that's more flexible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 09:00:43 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2005, 09:03:49 PM »

Re gross chocolate: It is politically correct fair trade chocolate, given to us by my politically correct in-laws
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Kerry

« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2005, 09:08:06 PM »

DRLaura,

You really worry me sometimes.  Next time (and soon I hope) we get together for coffee, you must explain this one to me.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

DR Jane - I can't remember if I told you this before, but there is a small chain of tea houses/restaurants in DC called, Teaism.  They have three locations in DC.  The original one is right off of Dupont Circle, but I prefer the on in Penn Quarter (Navy Memorial and Metro Center Metro stops).  They serve a wonderful Afternoon Tea.  In fact, they serve two types of Afternoon Tea:

AFTERNOON TEA
Seven days a week from 2:30pm to 5:30pm

Traditional Menu 15.00
Tea sandwiches, ginger scone, cookies, lime curd tartlets, chocolate truffles & a pot of tea

Asian Menu 15.00
Rice balls with pickle & sesame, tea cured salmon and nori, tofu with ginger, green tea ice cream, mochi, chocolate truffle & a pot of tea

It's a very nice way to treat yourself after walking through the Smithsonian - or after playing a matinee at the nearby Ford's Theatre - or seeing one at the Shakespeare Theatre around the corner.  You can pick any tea from their very nice selection.  And the Tea can end up being quite the bargain since some of their teas by the pot cost almost as much as the Tea.  -Did that make sense?  The difference between "tea" and "Tea"?  In any case...

The next time you come to DC, I highly recommend checking them out if I haven't already.  ;)

Oh, and here's the link for their website:

Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2005, 09:12:03 PM »

DR Jane, did you ever do tea at the Crystal Room in John Wanamaker's in Philly when you lived in the area?
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2005, 09:14:43 PM »

I did watch "Shop Around the Corner," and it is as charming as one would expect.  However, I borrowed the DVD from the library, and the DVD was so scratched up it got to be very frustrating.

I have "Brief Encounter" (which I haven't seen for decades) scheduled for tomorrow.  It looks like it's in better shape, but we'll see.  I was hoping to save money by not BUYING everything, but then you end with a botched up DVD or CD.

Rick Mason's mother made good scones.  Rick was always proud of them and made sure she always made a batch when we visited him.  Another friend's mother makes "Tea cakes" which are similar to scones but a little different.  They're quite good actually.   Just stick to some good Earl Grey (or bettter yet, hot chocolate) and all the lovely little cookies and pastries and "Biscuits."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 09:17:33 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »

Panni-
Some of the best Santas I've known have been Jewish.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »

Kerry, if you have the "keep me logged in forever" checked there is no reason you should have to relog in every time.  Is your computer set up to accept cookies?  If not, that's the reason.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2005, 09:22:59 PM »

Ah, but don't forget the scene where Valerie Bertinelli/Teacher-With-A-Life-Threatining-Illness valiantly saves Kudohead from the thoughtless Janitor (played by Eddie Van Halen, in a scruffy disguise...or is it a disguise?  Hmmmm.....).

HEY!!!  I think we're onto something big here.  And I mean Big!  B-I-G!

Why not make it a sort of "One Day At A Time" reunion!  Pat Harrington could reprise his role as Schneider as the Janitor.  Glen Scarpelli could be a former student of the high school who comes back to teach at his alma mater for "mysterious reasons".  Oh, and surely there must be a role for MacKenzie Phillips, maybe the School Nurse?  Boyd Gaines could make a cameo appearance as a Gym Teacher - a "Porky's" tie-in.  Howard Hesseman, Richard Masur, Ron Rifkin as the School Board.  Etc., etc., etc...

OH!  And, of course, Bonnie Franklin's mouth as the Giant Green Blob!

;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 09:35:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up