Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"  (Read 74180 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2005, 08:32:03 AM »

So much for Jose's comforting rat info. Oh well, as the rats apparently haven't come upstairs before, I am thinking POSITIVELY that they will not this time.

Thanks for the research DR Ginny. My only question is - Is there a preview night (16th) - with the official opening the following night, or is it actually the 16th?

Checking her credits, it seems that I HAVE seen Imelda Staunton  a number of times before (SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, THE SINGING DETECTIVE, etc.)  and did not realize it was the same actress. She's quite transformed in Vera Drake.

It's terrible outside (Laurel Canyon is closed, for example) and my lights have already flickered once this morning. I have writing to do, so let's hope the power stays ON.

I'll be E&T for much of the day. Might check in and read, but will try not to post. Must work. Laters!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »

Good Morning!

I believe those patented and miraculous HHW VIBES are doing their magic again.  Thank you!  I'm feeling much better this morning.  There is still some unpleasantness going on in my throat, but it actually looks likes it is starting to dissapate.  And no trace of fever this morning either.  I also slept rather well too last night - about ten hours!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2005, 08:59:24 AM »

DRs Pogues, SWW and Panni -Ah, yes, tree rats... Ah, well.  Well, from the looks of Panni's abode it looks like she should still be OK.

-Now just say that to yourself three, four times in a row... or at least until it becomes a true comfort to you.

;)

-Did that make sense?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2005, 09:03:32 AM »

DRMichael Shayne,  I don't know the dates!  I'm waiting for DRPennyO or DRJose to supply them.  I think the opening is sometime around March 17.  HELP!!!

I know DR Ginny already posted the website, but here's the info that DR PennyO sent me:

Exact dates for Thighs: Load In - March 14. Open March 16. Play through March 27. Rehearsals March 10-16.

However, I'm not sure if there is a set Press Night.  We'll all have to check in with Penny on that one.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 09:05:39 AM »

~~~~SAFE VIBES~~~~ to all DRs dealing with unusual and severe weather right now - snow, rain, floods, ice, etc.

*And if you are getting some snow, you're more than welcome to send some to the mid-Atlantic right now.  I wanna see some snow!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 09:06:42 AM »

Amazing how different the climates and weather are for different parts of this country. Usually southern California is awash in sunshine, even in the dead of winter. Even in the SOuth, we can have very cold temperatures and really bad weather in the winter.

We have had two weeks of late spring-like conditions with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. No rain predicted here until Tuesday. There was a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts going into the grocery store this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 09:07:30 AM »

OK... Time for me to jump in the shower and get ready to head in for the show...  And I do think I will be staying put tonight here in Fairfax, but if I start feeling really good during the matinee, I may head back here, get my stuff packed up and go ahead and head back to Richmond after tonight's show.  We shall see...

Thanks again for all the Vibes.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2005, 09:36:30 AM »

Vivian Bagley: (on the stand) Well, me and you went over to the Mooney's to retrieve the cake.

Lucy Carmichael: (acting as her own attorney in the case of Mooney VS Carmichael)  Would you please tell the court who "you" is.

Vivian:  I is Vivian Bagley.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2005, 10:20:29 AM »

Thanks for the laugh, JRand54!

Panni

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

Back for a moment to recommend Ray Charles' last album, GENIUS LOVES COMPANY.  Bought it the other day and have been listening to it. A fitting tribute to a great man. Obviously his voice is weaker - sometimes overwhelmed by the orchestra (my question, BTW, to our resident record producer - WHY?). But there are some terrific arrangements and great duets with fabulous artists.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2005, 11:14:15 AM »

My daughter spent the last of her high school years at Corvalis.

If Mr. Charles was in the room with the band, that would explain why - they'd have no way to mix his vocals louder without bringing up the band, too, unless they had the mix perfect going down.  It would be hard to fathom that that's the way they did it, however - I'm sure they had separation on Mr. Charles, which means it's just bad mixing.

I slept very late - I actually refused to get out of bed until the rain quieted down, which was just fifteen minutes ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »

A bit unnerving to see only forty posts after the last few days, but we know Sundays are not record-setters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2005, 11:15:29 AM »

Still and all, some topics always are fun, and that's not my job today.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

I'm not surprised Laurel Canyon is closed today - it poured all night (and I do mean poured) - when I drove over Laurel Canyon last night, even then it was like driving through a river.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2005, 11:20:14 AM »

I don't have anything to say, except that my brother is makng it clear that he doesn't want me in the same room with him, which just so happens to be the room with the computer. I have to sign off and get out of here now before he does something unseemly. Bye everybody!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »

I went to sleep before midnight last night.  This is unheard of for me...but the NyQuil probably had something to do with it.  

I woke up to a blanket of white outside my window!  We offically have snow in Tacoma.  It's not much, and itll probably be gone by afternoon, but is kinda pretty

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2005, 11:27:38 AM »

I haven't seen POTO (the movie), but read that it includes a new song, "Learn to Be Lonely."

Good morning all.  (Well, it's 6.25am Monday here in Melbourne!)

The new song ALW wrote for POTO is sung (by Minnie Driver) over the closing credits.  It is only a brief song.  Seems Lord W may have written this in the hope of scoring and Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.  

Trust you are all well, wherever you may be.
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2005, 11:28:10 AM »

It looks like it's raining a little, but there is a tiny bit of snow on the ground here in Olympia.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2005, 11:29:36 AM »

Interestingly, I dated someone named Lada.  She was never in a cage, though.

Really?  I could have sworn Lada in a Cage was filmed with Miss Olivia De Havilland.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2005, 11:32:31 AM »

The new song ALW wrote for POTO is sung (by Minnie Driver) over the closing credits.  It is only a brief song.  Seems Lord W may have written this in the hope of scoring and Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.  

Just like he attempted with "Can We Start Again, Please?" (am I remembering the title correctly?) in the film version of Superstar.  And we know how well that one turned out.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »

Well, the rain has started up again - another whopping half-hour respite.  I do have to go out later because within two or three hours I will be out of Diet Coke and we simply cannot have that, can we?

JMK

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2005, 11:37:31 AM »

I'm finding it fascinating to see a recent explosion of hits on my web article about Farmer, almost all of them coming from this online encyclopedia I mentioned the other day.  Yesterday, for example I had over 60 hits, probably 2/3 of them coming from the encyclopedia.  My statistics keep track of new, individual visitors (as well as returning visitors), so this is not a case of the same person accessing the article over and over again (unless he/she is deleting cookies each time, which seems pointless to me).  I simply can't believe that many people are looking up an article about Frances on this particular encyclopedia, then using the link to my article, but I'm not complaining.   ;)

I'm really curious to see what happens when NPR links my article in a month or two.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2005, 11:38:17 AM »

Hi, All! Aunt Pen is back in NYC as of late last night. I'm feeling slightly zombified, but love this sunshine, after so much rain in Southern California!!!

Sorry to have seemed cryptic about the dates and times of JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY. I didn't know I hadn't given accurate info. As I've said before, perhaps it's due to my reluctance to be overtly self-promoting on this site!!!

JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY, starring Penny Orloff with music director Jose Simulan, plays at the Clurman Theatre in Theatre Row, 410 W. 42nd St., NYC beginning Wednesday evening, March 16th, 8 pm, for 15 performances through a final matinee on Sunday, March 27. Evenings at 8 pm, Sat-Sun-Wed matinees at 2 pm.

Tickets ($25-reg; $20-senior/AEA/student) are available now at the box office (in person) or at www.ticketcentral.com.

By tomorrow I will have hired a press rep, and press night(s) will be determined. I think such a night(s) would be one (or more) evenings on March 16, 17 & 18. Then I'll just hope for raves, to get the desired Butts In Seats to pay for this sucker!!

Still need a NY sublet... Be on the lookout, wontcha?
PennyO

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2005, 11:40:05 AM »

Unique and universally unequalled, the "U" is ubiquitous.  A vacuum such as human understanding does not understand, and will understimate the unparalleled magnitutde of such an unrivalled character.
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2005, 11:40:13 AM »

That should be Jose Simbulan, DR's... and I'm so glad you're feeling better, Hozay!!
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »

I'm finding it fascinating to see a recent explosion of hits on my web article about Farmer, almost all of them coming from this online encyclopedia I mentioned the other day.  Yesterday, for example I had over 60 hits, probably 2/3 of them coming from the encyclopedia.  My statistics keep track of new, individual visitors (as well as returning visitors), so this is not a case of the same person accessing the article over and over again (unless he/she is deleting cookies each time, which seems pointless to me).  I simply can't believe that many people are looking up an article about Frances on this particular encyclopedia, then using the link to my article, but I'm not complaining.   ;)

I'm really curious to see what happens when NPR links my article in a month or two.

Maybe there's a school somewhere where all the kids have to do an essay on her!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2005, 11:45:24 AM »

Well, the rain has started up again - another whopping half-hour respite.  

It's relentless. The rats downstairs are putting on scuba gear.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »

YW DtM...compliments to the Lucy Show writers, of course.

It is now 41 degrees F here and most of the snow from yesterday has melted.  It is winter one day and spring the next here in Indiana.

Panni

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2005, 11:47:40 AM »

Thanks for the update, PennyO.

Laters!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2005, 11:48:26 AM »

DR PANNI did you see my post yesterday about highways.

My answer was the same as DR JMK - they are referred to by number.

"Take '70' to the airport.  Take '465' to '65.'"  Otherwise no one would know which "highway" was meant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up