Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 81744 times)

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:42 AM »

And to think I thought you may have been trying to poach frozen bears.  You have so many recipes OzDerek.

Do frozen bears have icy poles?
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »

Possible Medium SPOILER alert

I enjoyed the second episode more than I did the first.  I had no problem reconciling the "face" issue as it showed that her dreams would involve her own subconcious thoughts as well as the pyshic info getting through, H

Haven't you ever had a  dream where people you know or have seen are behaving like someone else?
It actually made it more believable to me.

Note - the guy she saw in her dreams she thought was the murderer was in fact the guy on the menu cover of the restaurant where they had been dining weekly.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »

Hmmm...  I wonder if there's a Dr. Westphall on staff at that hospital.

I do not know...it's a BIG hospital!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2005, 11:28:35 AM »

On the up side, tonight, after work, I will be interviewing 1950s actress Lynn Bernay about her work in films like VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, I BURY THE LIVING, PIT AND THE PENDULEM, and VALLEY OF THE REDWOODS.

She left acting for a career in costume design.

And she's designing new frocks for you?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »

Note - the guy she saw in her dreams she thought was the murderer was in fact the guy on the menu cover of the restaurant where they had been dining weekly.

I know, I was trying to be vague, lest I spoil things for someone who hasn't viewed this episode yet!  I know I have had dreams that had book characters and movie characters in them

She saw what the bad guy had done but put an imaginary face to him, because she had been staring at that other face for the past three weeks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:30:49 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2005, 11:31:38 AM »

Check for yourself OzDerek
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

ozderek

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2005, 11:37:23 AM »

Check for yourself OzDerek

I do hope they were white BEFORE they went in to the freezer....!!!!!

Is that a FURtive grin I see?  Are they BEARly alive?  Or are they singing FREZZER jolly good fellow? (ok, ok - i'll stop now!)

:D

ozderek

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2005, 11:37:45 AM »

oops - that should have been ...

FREEZER jolly good fellow!

Ben

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2005, 11:43:41 AM »

Ozderek, you are making the "no groaning" rule here at HHW very difficult to follow ;-)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2005, 11:44:06 AM »

My understanding is they wrote a new book for NYC that was just terrible,and cut out the two love  triangles, but I never had an opportunity to see it as it opened and closed very quickly here

Swoody and I saw the "Bell" version - a another re-write post B'way:

(Extract from Wayward Musings):

For the American version, which is the only one that can be produced in the USA or Canada at this time, there actually seems to be a few different variations. The version that I have seen is that directed by David A. Bell, who has over the last decade, directed CHESS in Chicago at the Marriott Lincolnshire Theatre in 1990, at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera in late 1990, and at the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. He, Kary Walker, Dyanne Earley and Peter Grigsby rewrote the Broadway book (written by the avant-garde political playwright Richard Nelson, hired by Trevor Nunn when he came to Broadway to direct CHESS) because they knew it had not worked. (CHESS only ran on B'way for a few months.)

The love triangle is somewhat re-instituted and the show has a "happy ending" - Florence goets to go back to Daddy.

We both saw the show in London (great score, weak book) and felt the Long Beach Production was an improvement (particularly the added songs - from B"way) and a more workable book - but still the weak point of the show.

der Brucer

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:44:39 AM by DERBRUCER »

ozderek

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2005, 11:47:10 AM »

Ozderek, you are making the "no groaning" rule here at HHW very difficult to follow ;-)

ok .. ok ... i'm still a newbie (is that what you call a baby wasp ...?!)

better a groan than a moan (i think)

apologies all around ... it's early in the morning here (6.45am!)

;D

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2005, 11:51:48 AM »

MEDIUM TV SPOILER ALERT

Possible Medium SPOILER alert

I enjoyed the second episode more than I did the first.  I had no problem reconciling the "face" issue as it showed that her dreams would involve her own subconcious thoughts as well as the pyshic info getting through, H

Haven't you ever had a  dream where people you know or have seen are behaving like someone else?
It actually made it more believable to me.

Part of my problem withthe first one was that I thought , from all the commercials and the title, that she was just a "medium" for dead spirits to tell her things, and this pyschic stuff (like the sheriff's heart troubles)  seemed to be coming out of left field

But now I am in suspension of disbelief mode, and will accept  the fact that she is going to be talking to dead people AND having ESP and wiggling her nose and making Darren dissappear..

I like the character and the husband but I think the writers have to stop experimenting and settle down on whether the husband is going to be supportive or skeptical, because this jumping back and forth is making me annoyed  (although husbands are a bit like that...)  ;)

Your comments made me think.  Yes, I suppose you have a point re: people in dreams sometimes looking like others. I've had dreams where someone is so and so, yet doesn't like them.  I simply know it's them.  I think the reason it bothered me on the show was that it made it seem like she was putting an innocent man to death.

I see what you mean about hearing dead people vs psychic.  This episode made her look like she could do everything.  Not sure how she could get all those backstories just from the questionnaires.

I also see what you mean about her husband.  I think the pilots are taped way before all the others.  So maybe they are figuring this out as they go along.

Nice insights!

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »

Five more posts should do it OzDerek.. Almost half a fence.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2005, 11:54:31 AM »

Golden Globe gift bags:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/002920.html

So what item would each of you like?

ozderek

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2005, 11:57:14 AM »

Five more posts should do it OzDerek.. Almost half a fence.

.... and they call my puns groaners !!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ozderek

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »

Now .. on a more serious note .. hands up if you think they should revive "CARRIE"!

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2005, 12:02:36 PM »

No offence intended OzDerek.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2005, 12:04:53 PM »

Sort of a "Carrie On" revival comment. (Sorry!  Too much Kenneth Williams this last week)
James Thurber 1957

ozderek

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2005, 12:06:33 PM »

No offence intended OzDerek.

None taken Tomofoz.

However, with a GAIT like yours, i'd remain indoors!!!

;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »

SAG nominations:

January 11, 2005
'Sideways' Leads SAG Awards Nominees
By REUTERS

Filed at 11:21 a.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Road comedy ``Sideways,'' about a pair of men looking for love in the rolling hills of California's wine country, led the nominees for the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Tuesday with four nominations, putting it on the path to Oscar contention.

It was joined among the nominees for best cast in a movie, SAG's highest award, by the Howard Hughes biography ``The Aviator,'' African genocide drama ``Hotel Rwanda,'' female boxing movie ``Million Dollar Baby,'' ``Ray,'' about soul singer Ray Charles and ``Finding Neverland,'' a film about how J.M. Barrie was inspired to create ``Peter Pan.''
``Sideways'' earned Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church nominations for best actor and supporting actor, respectively, and one for Virginia Madsen as best supporting actress.

SAG President Melissa Gilbert called ``Sideways,'' ``the little movie that could,'' and told Reuters she was ``surprised'' by many of the nominations including four for actor Jamie Foxx, the first time one actor has been nominated in that many SAG categories.

FOXX'S FOUR

Foxx earned nominations for best film actor playing soul singer Charles in ``Ray,'' best supporting actor in a film for his portrayal of a kidnapped taxi driver in ``Collateral'' and best actor in a television movie as a convicted murderer in ``Redemption.'' He was also in the best cast category for ``Ray.''

Joining Foxx and Giamatti among best actor nominees were Don Cheadle as a heroic hotel manager in ``Hotel Rwanda,'' Leonardo DiCaprio playing Howard Hughes in ``Aviator'' and Johnny Depp as Barrie in ``Neverland.''

Best film actress nominees were Britain's Imelda Staunton playing an abortionist in ``Vera Drake,'' Hilary Swank in ``Million Dollar Baby,'' Annette Bening in comedy ``Being Julia,'' Kate Winslet for romance, ``Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'' and newcomer Catalina Sandino Moreno for her role as a cocaine smuggler in the drama ``Maria Full of Grace.''

Supporting actor nominees along with Church and Foxx were Morgan Freeman for ``Million Dollar Baby,'' child actor Freddie Highmore in ``Neverland'' and veteran James Garner in romance ``The Notebook.''

Garner will receive SAG's lifetime achievement honor, too, marking the first time in the show's 11 years that an actor being given the achievement honor also has been nominated for an award.

Supporting actress nominees along with Madsen were Cate Blanchett portraying screen legend Katharine Hepburn in ``Aviator,'' veteran Cloris Leachman in comedy ``Spanglish,'' Laura Linney in ``Kinsey,'' about the life of sex researcher Alfred Kinsey, and Sophie Okonedo in ``Rwanda.''

SAG also gives out awards for television, and in that arena the casts of ``CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,'' ``24,'' ``Six Feet Under,'' ``The Sopranos'' and ``The West Wing,'' were nominated for best acting in a drama.

The casts of ``Arrested Development,'' new show ``Desperate Housewives,'' ``Everybody Loves Raymond,'' ``Sex and the City,'' and ``Will & Grace'' were nominated for best acting in a TV comedy.

der Brucer

ozderek

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2005, 12:10:18 PM »

Well dear readers I am off to give blood ...

mmm - makes me think - in light of Tomofoz's favourite (not) film ...

how about a musical version of "THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES"????

All those murders - sure to be some toe tapping tunes in there somewhere!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2005, 12:11:08 PM »

Now .. on a more serious note .. hands up if you think they should revive "CARRIE"!

I saw CARRIE; it should stay dead.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »

Golden Globe gift bags:

The $125 box of chocolates, of course!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

ozderek

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2005, 12:13:21 PM »

oooh - just noticed - 50 posts - will 1 more more get me promoted?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2005, 12:14:44 PM »

Tons of sewage
City health officials closed the city's beaches Monday afternoon after they found out that more than a million gallons of sewage had gone into the Los Angeles River, which empties into the ocean waters off Long Beach, since Sunday morning, said city Health Officer Dr. Darryl Sexton.
The uncontrolled spill of 40,000 gallons of sewage per hour started Sunday morning in the Eagle Rock area of Los Angeles, Sexton said..

Sexton said the spill was out of Los Angeles' control.

"They're overwhelmed," he said.

After the spill is stopped, "the water will get a chance to clean itself up," he said.

Well, so much for a Pogue Family day at the beach!

der Brucer

ozderek

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2005, 12:15:07 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm now a (gasp) JUNIOR (at my age?) member.

Feels like I should get a plastic statuette!!

"I would like to thank my family, friends and the voting committee (sniff!)"

:)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2005, 12:17:57 PM »

Well dear readers I am off to give blood ...

All those murders - sure to be some toe tapping tunes in there somewhere!
And some vein-tapping for atmosphere!

der Brucer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

LADY IN THE DARK was revived with Maria Friedman at the National Theatre in London in the mid-nineties.  A cast album was released.  I found the show, as usual at the National, quite well-mounted and very stylish...I still remember vividly the wonderful set.  But it's still not the greatest show or score (with the exception of a couple of numbers) and I suspect the psychology is a bit primitive these days.

Martha Raye once told me a great story about Marie Lloyd...She was being introduced by someone in a theatre who announced, "Miss Marie Lloyd will now sings Trees."  Someone from the audience yelled:  "Marie Lloyd's a @*#!sucker!"  To which the interlocutor replied:  "That may well be, but nevertheless she is going to sing Trees."  Don't know whether it's true or not, but it's funny.

MattH, BUTLEY well worth a looksee.  

As a theatrical archeologist who loves the obscure, the neglected, the forgotten, the overlooked, and the rarely performed there are hundreds of things I would love to see revived.  

As far as musicals, LI'L ABNER has been evoked enough.  I think Kimmel should direct a revival.  I'd also like to see a production of KEAN.  The two Ibsen plays I recently read would be interesting to see staged, THE VIKINGS & THE PRETENDERS.  I would love to see a first-class revival of ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN.  I would also like to see a production of John Webster's Jacobean tragedy,THE WHITE DEVIL.  Just missed one a few years ago in London.  

Another Shaffer play I'd like to see is GIFT OF THE GORGON, which played London in '94 and, to my knowledge, hasn't been revived since.  It is the single greatest play I've read in the last dozen years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 12:23:45 PM by Charles Pogue »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:44 PM »

Golden Globe gift bags:

The box of chocolates like DR Sandra said and the MP3 player.  I'm not metro enough to appreciate the other stuff (though the wine adventure sounds interesting--does the $16K involve airfare and hotel bills or does one just to swill down $16K worth of wine?)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »

I just watched a clip of GMA with Mickey Rooney talking about his banned backside commercial.  They guy is 84 and has more life in him that a lot of people I know who are my age.  Good for him, I say.  If he wants to show some booty at his age more power to him!

Mickey Rooney--there's your Marryin' Sam!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up