Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 79968 times)

Ben

Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 06:15:17 AM »

On that note, let us move to Page 2. I leave the dance to any other DR.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 06:17:17 AM »

My take on the mystery is that the stable boy Squire Meyer is secretly the love child of Lord Chutney and Hermione the maid. To keep the secret, Lord Chutney made Hermione put him up for adoption. She managed to guilt Lord Chutney into giving him a job since he completely abandoned his son (Squire Meyer is actually older than Lord Chutney's and Lady Chutney's son making him the true heir.) Hermione had told Squire Meyer of his true heritage and had hidden the proof in the leeks. Lord Chutney found out about this from Cutler who had overheard them talking and came to the pantry to confront her and destroy the evidence. To protect her son's future and fearing for her life because of the rage Lord Chutney was in, she killed him. Then Squire Meyer came in because he heard a commotion and she gave him the leeks. She told him to run away for a while to protect his future because she had overheard Lord Chutney had promised Cutler a quarter of his fortune if he made sure Squire Meyer never acquired his rightful inheritance.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Ben

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 06:24:15 AM »

I finally remembered! I kept forgetting. What did I keep forgetting and what have I remembered?

On Friday we finally got to watch What If! What a treat. We had no guests and the laundry was done and we had a nice dinner so we popped some popcorn and settled back to see the show (theatres should offer the option of watching the show in your pajamas with a bowl of popcorn). The movie trailer for Oklahoma was hysterical! Our only real complaint was the sound made it difficult to hear sometimes so we missed some lyrics. Now, back to work.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 06:38:52 AM »

VIXMOM didn't get your pic if you sent it.

I had unexpected drop in company and so did not get a chance to login from home last night, I'll try again tonight. Thanks!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 06:44:56 AM »

I forgot to add that the whole bathroom thing was an alibi to help keep everyone from knowing what really happened. Especially that dastardly Cutler!

I waited to read DRozderek's until after I had written mine so my solution would not be affected by his thoughts. I do have to say ozderek's story had me laughing and getting funny looks from people in the library. :)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 06:55:49 AM »

DRs derBRUCER and JOSE thanks for the CANDIDE information yesterday.  I am still looking forward to it!  However "Quiet" is one of my favorite songs in the score.....along with "What's the Use?" and I will be very disappointed if it is not included.  Donald Trump....rewrites of THE PAJAMA GAME....new songs....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

JRand54, as a huge fan of CANDIDE as a comic operetta who loved the 1973 production but disliked what happened to the score, it's my impression that this is the version, with additional songs, Lonny Price as director settled on for this concert.  The review in New York magazine was particularly unkind to this concert, and I for one don't think either leading lady is right for their role.   I don't know if "Quiet" or "What's the Use?" ended up in it or not.  DRGeorge would know since he has the broadcast on his computer, I believe.

My favorite CANDIDE libretto is Michael Stewart's rewrite of Hellman for the 1958 London production, but I'm also quite fond of the Bernstein London concert which was on VHS, but I believe it's now O.P.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 06:57:37 AM »

D-I-T, good choice. I, too, would love to see 70G70. "Coffee in a Cardboard Cup", love that song!

When I met Mildred Natwick, I told her how much I loved the "Elephant Song."  She was a lovely lady.  One of my best friends from college was the costumer's assistant on 70 GIRLS 70.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 07:15:02 AM »

DR Jennifer, the ALIAS episode did have Nadia in it. The plot had the lead gal getting fired but then it turns out she is joining a new undercover team that her father is in. She finds out that her mother wanted her killed. She steals a sword and has to wear a mask that shoots water into her face. The end.

The surveyors had previously grilled me about my TV viewing habits, so they already knew that ALIAS was not a show that I watch, however they did not tell me what program I would be viewing...so it was a surprise to me...I expected it to be a pilot for a new show, which is what I had to watch last time I participated.

They asked me about different characters and different cast members and plot points and I rated them on a scale of 1 to 10. Then they asked me more and more questions about the show...lots and lots of questions! LOL! Next time I participate I will need to remember to make notes! This program did not really hold my attention so some questions I had a difficult time answering.

If they take my opinions into serious consideration then Jennifer Garner will be fired from the show and it will become a comedy star Angela Bassett, Carl Lumbley and the gal who played Nadia! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 07:16:46 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm... As for TOD #2 - I shall have think about that one while I'm driving back to Richmond after today's matinee.

As for TOD #1 - I shall have to deduce the clues to that one while I'm driving back to Richmond after today's matinee - well, I suppose I could also deduce during today's matinee, but that would constitute a "double", and I would need advance approval for that since it would affect the budget for the show.  What the heck am I talking about?  I haven't a clew?!?!?!?

Well, I must skedaddle - as opposed to skemommle or skesissle... OUCH!

I'll back be back in a couple of hours... from Richmond...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 07:18:29 AM »

Btw, to two of our newest DRs.... Bravo!  Bravo!

*And DR ozderek - I'm assuming you posted all of that on your own time and not on your company's?  ;)

...No worries...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 07:18:30 AM »

On the up side, tonight, after work, I will be interviewing 1950s actress Lynn Bernay about her work in films like VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, I BURY THE LIVING, PIT AND THE PENDULEM, and VALLEY OF THE REDWOODS.

She left acting for a career in costume design.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 07:47:58 AM »

When I met Mildred Natwick, I told her how much I loved the "Elephant Song."  She was a lovely lady.  

"What did you have up here? The Santini Brothers or something?"

And was there a more hilarious performance than MN's in BAREFOOT IN THE PARK?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 07:55:11 AM »

Mildred Natwick's "Yes" from 70Girls70 is quite stirring. I wonder why that song never became something of an anthem, in the tradition of "I Got To Be Me."

Ben

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2005, 08:05:28 AM »

I'm listening to Stage and Screen on BBC Radio 3 right now. It's an interview by Edward Seckerson with the sublime and glorious Barbara Cook. If you're at all a fan, go over and listen. It's a beautiful piece.

Here is the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/

You need Real Player on your system. Click on Listen to the latest programme, the player will load and you will be taken to heaven (IMHO) for an hour. This particular program will be on the Web site until next Monday, January 17 till around 11am EST.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2005, 08:28:37 AM »

TOD #2:

The show that keeps circling in my mind is Two Gentlemen of Verona (the musical).  It seems to be generally dismissed nowadays, but I think it could still work for today's audiences just as much as any Shakespearean play.  There's a couple of love stories with complications, mistaken identities and crossdressing disguises, many comical characters, high comedy, low comedy, social satire.  And lots of catchy songs that easily lend themselves to all kinds of staging.  

If I were doing this show now, I would take it back to its street roots.  Cast mostly talented young unknowns, and keep the design elements to a minimum.  Update some of the arrangements to include hip-hop and latino grooves.  Yes, I think it would work.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2005, 08:28:38 AM »

Re:  70, Girls 70.  Add me to the list of people who love the score, especially "Yes."  In fact, Liza's version on "Liza with a Z" is one of the few times I actually really, really like her post-mid-60s singing, but that may be due to that extremely spiffy orchestration.  Don't ask me how it ended up in Portland, but I found a used LP of the OCR years ago that had evidently once belonged to Dorothea Freitag!!  It had a whole bunch of her handwritten notes on an insert inside.  Like a fool, I think I either gave it away or sold it years ago.  Oy.

And for a revival.  How about Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate....NOT.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2005, 08:36:12 AM »

JMK - I looked on the IMDB FF message board and the one for Kim Stanley, but I can't find the exchange you wrote about yesterday.

At any rate, I hope you mentioned by name the lovely Lillian Emerson, the Bromo Seltzer heiress who played Lorna in London.  For some reason the source of her money has always amused me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2005, 08:45:33 AM »

DRs derBRUCER and JOSE thanks for the CANDIDE information yesterday.  I am still looking forward to it!  However "Quiet" is one of my favorite songs in the score.....along with "What's the Use?" and I will be very disappointed if it is not included.  Donald Trump....rewrites of THE PAJAMA GAME....new songs....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I don't know if "Quiet" or "What's the Use?" ended up in it or not.  DRGeorge would know since he has the broadcast on his computer, I believe.

I do...it is...and they are!
(I do know...the broadcast is on my computer...and both songs are in the concert version!) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2005, 08:45:34 AM »

DR Jennifer, the ALIAS episode did have Nadia in it. The plot had the lead gal getting fired but then it turns out she is joining a new undercover team that her father is in. She finds out that her mother wanted her killed. She steals a sword and has to wear a mask that shoots water into her face. The end.

The surveyors had previously grilled me about my TV viewing habits, so they already knew that ALIAS was not a show that I watch, however they did not tell me what program I would be viewing...so it was a surprise to me...I expected it to be a pilot for a new show, which is what I had to watch last time I participated.

They asked me about different characters and different cast members and plot points and I rated them on a scale of 1 to 10. Then they asked me more and more questions about the show...lots and lots of questions! LOL! Next time I participate I will need to remember to make notes! This program did not really hold my attention so some questions I had a difficult time answering.

If they take my opinions into serious consideration then Jennifer Garner will be fired from the show and it will become a comedy star Angela Bassett, Carl Lumbley and the gal who played Nadia! LOL!

Interesting.

Yes that was this season's first episode.

I wonder if they were trying to see if people who had never seen the show would like/could follow it.

Personally I think it would make little sense without having seen the other seasons.

Sorry you didn't like it. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2005, 08:47:42 AM »

Thanks DRGEORGE.

George

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2005, 08:49:51 AM »

You're welcome, DR JRand!

as to the other TOD,

I never saw Chess when it was performed in NYC, I think it only lasted a minute and a half or so ..., but I absolutely love the original concept album.  

I understand that the NYC production removed the whole love story aspect (please, if anyone had more reliable inofrmation, please do correct me)

I am digressing (again) I would love to see Chess  properly staged, following the original concept album, there - I finally got to the point!!

I have the region-2 DVD of the Swedish production (in Swedish...I think Tomovoz does also) and I think it's quite wonderful.  The only problem is is that there are NO SUBTITLES!  In any language!  I have no idea what they're singing.  The duet, "I Know Him So Well," actually starts with Svetlana and Florence sings the echo stuff.  So, they must have totally rewritten the lyrics on that one.  But do I have a klew as to what they're singing?  Absolutely not.  I still love it though. ;D

There is a "making of" documentary on the disc (also with no subtitles) but Tim Rice speaks in English (with no Swedish subtitles) and says that this verison is the one that they hope will be the final version.  We'll see if it goes anywhere...one can always hope!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:50:48 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2005, 09:06:41 AM »

I have it!  I know the answer!

At last it's clear!

I know who killed Lord Chutney!

It was the Welsh Rabbit!

Yes, the Welsh Rabbit!

Hermione was supposed to serve Welsh Rabbit with the meal, but didn't have the heart (go with me on this.  I know it's "rarebit").

The Rabbit didn't like it when Lord Chutney tried to take a Leek in the pantry, so he frighted the old man to death by exposing his Welsh Rabbit teeth!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 09:07:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »

On the Topic o' the Day, Subsection Two:

I have consistently answered this question the same way each time it has been posed here:  No musical's revival could be more timely these days than that of Mr. Marc Blitzstein's The Cradle Will Rock.  Though the story line about unionization may be less current today than at the time of the show's most unusual premiere, the other threads in the piece that deal with corruption, hypocrisy and unfairness in government, the judiciary, religion, business and the press are as valid today as they were then, if not more so.

There are many roles that could be juicily cast.  Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Mr. Mister:  Wouldn't Mr. Jerry Orbach have been perfect?  In his stead I propose Mr. John Goodman

Mrs. Mister:  Miss Susan Sarandon

Larry Foreman:  Mr. Brian Stokes Mitchell

Moll:  Miss Audra McDonald

Ella Hammer:  Miss Judy Kaye

Reverend Salvation:  Mr. Kevin Spacey

Yasha:  Mr. Tim Robbins

Dauber:  Mr. Richard Gere

and on and on and on.  The possibilities are endless!

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2005, 09:17:40 AM »

A favorite of mine as well, DRJAY.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2005, 09:18:26 AM »

I'd like to see an all-star cast revival of 70 GIRLS 70 - Barbara Cook, Chita Rivera, Patricia Routledge, Elaine Stritch (I can't think of a male star). Judging from the score, the show deserves another life. I think the leads, and the audience, would have a blast.

Jerry Orbach would have been wonderful. How about Harvey Evans? Not in the same star-category as Jerry Orbach, but a wonderful performer. John McMartin would also work.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2005, 09:23:04 AM »

I love "Yes" in the original 70 GIRLS 70 and also Liza's version. I also loved getting to sing part of it in AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND. It's really a wonderful song done either fast or slow.

I also simply adored Mildred Natwick. What a truly original actress. One of the happest nights of my life was the night she won the Emmy for Best Actress for THE SNOOP SISTERS. She and Helen Hayes only made a half dozen of those 90 minute episodes, but I'd LOVE to have them on DVD.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 09:24:06 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2005, 09:29:48 AM »

I guess I will be watching BUTLEY today. TV tonight is lousy (though I will give COMMITTED another few chances. The USA TODAY critic said tonight was a good one.)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »

TOD:

The truth of the matter of Lord Chutney is quite sinister.

It seems his cousin, Major Gray, slew the gent and carted off the corpse to be disposed of in a most unsavory way - well, actually in a savory way - nice with Lamb or Curry.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »

You're welcome, DR JRand!I have the region-2 DVD of the Swedish production (in Swedish...I think Tomovoz does also) and I think it's quite wonderful.  The only problem is is that there are NO SUBTITLES!  In any language!  I have no idea what they're singing.  The duet, "I Know Him So Well," actually starts with Svetlana and Florence sings the echo stuff.  So, they must have totally rewritten the lyrics on that one.  But do I have a klew as to what they're singing?  Absolutely not.  I still love it though. ;D

There is a "making of" documentary on the disc (also with no subtitles) but Tim Rice speaks in English (with no Swedish subtitles) and says that this verison is the one that they hope will be the final version.  We'll see if it goes anywhere...one can always hope!

I would really love to see this show although I cannot, off hand , think of whom I would want to cast...

The Songs "I Know Him So Well", " Embassay Lament",and "Anthem" are three of my all time favorite songs
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 09:54:52 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2005, 10:04:14 AM »

I think Judy Kuhn (I LOVE HER!) could still play Florence.  I don't know if she'd want to do it again, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up