Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: F IS FOR FEBRUARY AND FUN  (Read 3538 times)

ChasSmith

Re: F IS FOR FEBRUARY AND FUN
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »

Fond remembrances of our DR Kerry, who I'm so sorry I never had the chance to meet.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »

I like this TOD because over the past several years I've become quite fascinated with the distinctions between, and the individual "personalities" of, the studios themselves.  I just don't know how to pull up a bunch of titles for this purpose, and I know if I could see a list of Universal's output, I could quickly put my finger on the films that would answer this for me.  I wonder if it's possible to sort titles by studio and year on IMDb.  I'll give this a look later.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »

Happy birthday, Donald!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »

Coincidentally, I was going to mention this Universal film, which DR Michael just referenced, because I just watched it two nights ago for my first time in probably 30 years:  TWO-MINUTE WARNING.  I'd remembered so little of it that it was almost like seeing it for the first time, and what an incredible time-travel couple of hours it provides.

It's the kind of "terrorist" thriller they made in the 1970s, and I can't get enough of them.  The beauty of this one is in the actual filming locations.  Not only do you get some nice ca-1976 Los Angeles, but -- and I went back over it to check this out -- it might be one of the most realistic and "honest" location films I know.  In other words, when a scene takes place at the Coliseum, for instance, or at the Sunset & 405 Holiday Inn, all of the related area shots (streets, freeway off-ramps, etc.) do so as well.  It's rather a marvel in this respect.

I never saw that notorious TV version, but I see it's on the recent Shout Factory Blu-ray, and that's going right into my cart.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:06:46 AM by ChasSmith »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »

I'm getting dyslexic.  I thought I set the alarm for 6:30.  It rang at 6:03.

Groan.

Jane

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »

Jane

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONALD 🎈🎂🥂

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:27 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen TWO MINUTE WARNING....perhaps I should purchase it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:07 AM »

I often think of dear DR Kerry and when I do then I also think how much DR Laura must be missing him.

Happy birthday DR Kerry!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »

HA!  I found a like-new MINT copy of TWO MINUTE WARNING the BluRay for $14 including shipping.  As I was reading about it, I realized I have seen the network television version.....  I will be excited to see this version.  It has some people in it that I like including Marilyn Hassett and Beau Bridges......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »

Thanks to Wikipedia, I can address the TOD:

Topaz
Torn Curtain
Frenzy
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Madigan
Airport
Play Misty for Me
Two-Lane Blacktop

And for the title alone: Kitten with a Whip. (Elmore, do not show this to Annabelle)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »

I’m now 2/3 through Little Fires Everywhere. The author is gifted, but perhaps a little too young. All of her adult characters are irritating stereotypes. She goes back to one character’s youth and only then does that person begin to come to life.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  After several hours with a toddler yesterday, I'm really in the slow lane today.  We'll probably go to the grocery this afternoon, but I'm not ready to set the world on fire.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

I’m now 2/3 through Little Fires Everywhere. The author is gifted, but perhaps a little too young. All of her adult characters are irritating stereotypes. She goes back to one character’s youth and only then does that person begin to come to life.

DR John G, we heard her speak on an author panel at ALA this summer and I have an advance reader copy of her book.  Isn't that the one set in Cleveland?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - seven hours of sleep - would have been eight if the phone hadn't shot off its big fat mouth at nine.  Today I decide if I'm going to let the landline go because you can change your number a million times and these spam callers will eventually get it.  Blocking is pointless because they keep spoofing other numbers.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »

Obviously, my last post should indicate that I have not yet read the book...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »

I'd like a complete list of the movies Universal redid for TV - not adding cut scenes, but where they shot whole new scenes.  Two Minute Warning is the obvious, but they also did it for Night of the Following Day and Secret Ceremony.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »

Happy Birthday to Donald Feltham!
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »

DR John G, we heard her speak on an author panel at ALA this summer and I have an advance reader copy of her book.  Isn't that the one set in Cleveland?

Yes. It’s set in Shaker Heights. It’s gotten rave reviews and it earns them in many, but not all, areas.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »

I gathered that.

:)
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »

Interesting 37 is too young-lol.  I was just a bit disappointed as I thought her first novel, "Everything I Never Told You", was excellent.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - seven hours of sleep - would have been eight if the phone hadn't shot off its big fat mouth at nine.  Today I decide if I'm going to let the landline go because you can change your number a million times and these spam callers will eventually get it.  Blocking is pointless because they keep spoofing other numbers.

Then they will find you on your cell phone. 

Jane

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »

I thought that was obvious.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »

Today is Victor Herbert's 159th birthday.

And a very happy birthday to Victor Herbert!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »

Has anyone ever written a parody called We'd Like to Thank You, Victor Herbert?

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »

I have my three month follow up with my nurse practitioner this morning.....his name is Michael Painter.  His name is always printed Micha Painter on the computer print out....so I call him that.

My doctor's name is Brandy Thomas.  On my medications, they only show the first three letters of the doctor's first name, so her name always prints out as THOMAS, BRA.

;)

George

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »

Coincidentally, I was going to mention this Universal film, which DR Michael just referenced, because I just watched it two nights ago for my first time in probably 30 years:  TWO-MINUTE WARNING.  I'd remembered so little of it that it was almost like seeing it for the first time, and what an incredible time-travel couple of hours it provides.

It's the kind of "terrorist" thriller they made in the 1970s, and I can't get enough of them.  The beauty of this one is in the actual filming locations.  Not only do you get some nice ca-1976 Los Angeles, but -- and I went back over it to check this out -- it might be one of the most realistic and "honest" location films I know.  In other words, when a scene takes place at the Coliseum, for instance, or at the Sunset & 405 Holiday Inn, all of the related area shots (streets, freeway off-ramps, etc.) do so as well.  It's rather a marvel in this respect.

I never saw that notorious TV version, but I see it's on the recent Shout Factory Blu-ray, and that's going right into my cart.

There's a filmed version of the opera Tosca with Placido Domingo where they filmed the opera at the locations specified in the opera, and at the times of the day that it's supposed to happen.  They also sung it live while they were filming it.  It's really good!

George

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »

Fortunately, I've RARELY gotten spam calls.  And since I screen my calls and don't answer if I don't recognize the number, they don't leave messages, so I don't have to deal with that, either.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »

I have my three month follow up with my nurse practitioner this morning.....his name is Michael Painter.  His name is always printed Micha Painter on the computer print out....so I call him that.

My doctor's name is Brandy Thomas.  On my medications, they only show the first three letters of the doctor's first name, so her name always prints out as THOMAS, BRA.

;)

Oh my.

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »

Fortunately, I've RARELY gotten spam calls.  And since I screen my calls and don't answer if I don't recognize the number, they don't leave messages, so I don't have to deal with that, either.

I usually screen my calls, not answering numbers I don’t recognize.  Last Friday, a call (that I didn’t answer) showed up that made me wonder.  If my number were 123-4567, this call was from 124-4568.  Rob thinks it was coincidental, but I think it looks like some kind of scam.  No message was left, of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up