Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW  (Read 74516 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2005, 10:58:53 AM »

I have Long Hot Summer on DVD - great DVD, stereo sound, and widescreen (and enhanced).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »

Now, the question is, what shall I do this very day?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »

Hawaii:  No, the song was never sung in its entirety (but Percy Faith does a beautiful rendition on his 1966 album of movie themes).  I beg, beg, beg all of you to write David Bishop at the address I provided a few days ago to protest that Hawaii is being released on DVD in its edited version.  I have waited years for this to be released (I had hoped Julie would do a commentary--that doesn't seem to be happening either).  There is no excuse for releasing the edited version of this--they've already released the unedited version on both VHS and laserdisc.  It, like spyware/adware, boggles the mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2005, 11:06:19 AM »

Well...It's finally happened.  The technological revolt.  There was a big article in the paper yesterday about people curbing their use of the web, fed up with the influx of virus, spam, and spy-ware invasion and the fact that you need a masters degree to fix these things or spend sometimes more money than the computer cost to have an expert do it.

"2004 was a turning point in a bad direction.  People are getting really angry .  They're angry at Dell and Microsoft and their cable providers and that's appropriate.  They should be."

31% of online shoppers said they were buying less because of security concerns.  US internet users paying for things online barely budged in 2004 from the year earlier.  It rose from 26% to 27% in 2003 after jumping from 20% in 2002.

"If as an industry, we're not able to provide a safe, reliable computing environment, we do think the consumer will get increasingly frustrated."

One consumer who has been consistently ahead in the computer age in purchasing this kind of technology and who finally yanked out his high-speed internet connection said: "It's (the computer) is great for anything you can do on your own.  It seems to me an incredible typewriter -- and that's it."

All this might be a good thing.  Maybe people will actually start getting out in the open air and mingling again and engaging and interacting in life once more...instead of letting their life be dominated by some screen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »

I merely add that while the information about the shorter version may ultimately prove to be correct, MGM/UA have released NO specs on this title.  It's all second-hand info at this point.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2005, 11:09:21 AM »

Ah, but when I left the site...it was just me and Panni.  Right before that, it was me, Panni, and you...Tomvoz and Jed had already split by then.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2005, 11:11:12 AM »

I merely add that while the information about the shorter version may ultimately prove to be correct, MGM/UA have released NO specs on this title.  It's all second-hand info at this point.

Yes, and it's interesting to note that DVD price search has it listed as the "restored" version.  But, doesn't MGM/UA deserve to get harrassing letters for any number of reasons at this point?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2005, 11:13:11 AM »

JRand54, is your Half-Price Books one of the chain that emanates out of Dallas?  I know they have been making some excursions in to the midwest.  When I lived in Dallas between '74-'78, the original store was right down the street from me and was magnificent.  I was in Big "D" this past fall to speak to a local screenwriting group there and I went to their new location.  And, Wow! What a store!  Picked up some nice stuff!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2005, 11:16:45 AM »

DR Panni - Oh, I'm so glad you're planning to be there!  Do you have enough coats?

As eight is the number suggested, I may mail 4 ahead, wear 2 and take 2 in my carry-on. And, if necessary, I can always purchase one in NY. But no fur! I don't want those pesky animal activists throwing paint at me as I get out of the HHW limo at the theater. (There's going to be a limo, right?)

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2005, 11:28:21 AM »

...as I get out of the HHW limo at the theater. (There's going to be a limo, right?)

...and a red carpet and Joan and Melissa, too?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 11:29:26 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2005, 11:31:35 AM »

Ah, but when I left there was no Panni and no Pogue, you see.  So, we must have crossed each other like gazelles passing in the night whilst doing the Bunny Hop.  

I'm trying to figure out what to do today.  I'm thinking of going out to Sierra Madre again to Creature Features, because some magazines that I ordered should be in.  We shall see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2005, 11:32:56 AM »

I think someone is trying to give me the Gaslight treatment.

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2005, 11:35:05 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - Half-Price Books has several locations in the Cincinnati area and one near the Dayton Mall.  We always enjoy visiting.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2005, 11:48:17 AM »

Good morning / afternoon / night to one and all.
That should cover all the time zones.

I have been a semi-wussburger the past few days.  I have, of course, read all of BK's daily columns, as well as all of the posts.  However, I have posted only a few times, and only when it was something earth-shattering (to me).

I did two school performances of NATIONAL PASTIME on Wednesday, and by the time I got home from the theater, I had come down with the dreaded cold that everyone in the cast and crew (but me) had suffered through in the last two weeks.  Because of this nasty cold, Thursday was a horribly long day at work.  I kept visualizing myself curled up in a ball on top of my desk sleeping the day away.  But no such luck.

Thursday night's performance of NATIONAL PASTIME was an all-time low for me.  I blew lines, garbled speeches, and did lots of paraphrasing just to try to make it through the performance without making Branch Rickey look like a totally moronic idiot.  The rest of the cast was very supportive and kept telling me I was doing fine, but I didn’t believe it for a second.  Unfortunately, Thursday night was also the night that the playwright was in the house.  After the show, I was too sick and too embarrassed by my inept performance to go out front and face the audience and the playwright.  I will, however, have to face the playwright in about three hours when the cast, the playwright, and assorted special guests gather for a public discussion on the play itself, and on race relations in and out of sports, in general.

Last night’s performance was much improved over Thursday’s show.  Other than my over-abundance of saliva during certain long speeches, my biggest gaff was renaming the segregationist term Jim Crow, into the totally ridiculous and nonexistent John Crow.  Hopefully, during the final two performances tonight and tomorrow afternoon, I can bring my performance back up to the level that this work deserves.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »

Whew!  What a long, self-indulgent rant.  But where else can I go, but to my HHW family, to pour out the “woe is me” saga of my life?
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2005, 11:57:48 AM »

DR Charles, the Jimmie Rodgers song is readily available on "Best of" collections.  It was the "B" side of "Oh Oh I'm falling In Love Again". Problem in finding Jimmie at Amazon used to be the confusion with the older Jimmie Rodgers and his Railroad/blues songs.
I think the pop'folk "Honeycomb" singer has now been given his middle initial to distinguish the recordings. "Bear Family" discs are all the older Rodgers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 11:59:22 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2005, 12:05:04 PM »

TCB - I could pull up the old cliche - "It probably wasn't as bad as you thought..." ...And it probably wasn't. But even if it was - ain't nothing can be done about it, so life goes on. I have a feeling that if, rather than feeling low and ashamed, you go up to the playwright when you see him today, sincerely tell him how much the play itself and your participation in it has meant to you -- and then explain what lead to the performanc he witnessed - artfully throwing in the positive responses you had been getting up until that very evening - he will be just fine.
I'm sending POSITIVE VIBES YOUR WAY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »

Whew!  What a long, self-indulgent rant.  But where else can I go, but to my HHW family, to pour out the “woe is me” saga of my life?

Tom, we wouldn't want it any other way! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »

TCB, these things happen.  In my acting days, it would always confound me when doing a play when I would suddenly just go up and forget what I was doing.  It happens to everyone at one time or another, from the biggest to the smallest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2005, 12:06:41 PM »

I'm off to do some things.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2005, 12:16:29 PM »

Td and George-the avatar looks very nice.

Ann, take zinc, C and lots of fluids.  I hope you are well and don’t have to post-pone your surgery.  GOOD HEALTH VIBES!!

Ann you look cute in hats.

I only made it through page 1-will have to return later.  Have a good day.

Panni

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2005, 12:23:35 PM »

One more word on the subject - EVERYBODY had bad nights. I'm sure everyone on this site who has worked professionally in the theater can cite instances from personal experence when the greatest of actors were - shall we say - not great.

Panni

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »

(I thought I had posted the above right after my post - but I was interrupted and it sat there like so much fish. Meanwhile, bk said basically the same thing.)

George

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2005, 12:35:24 PM »

Td and George-the avatar looks very nice.

Thanks!  Actually, this is kind of fun!  If they don't mind, here is Michael Shayne's redone:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2005, 12:35:48 PM »

And here is ozderek's redone:

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2005, 12:41:13 PM »

BK, Panni, and George -- Thanks.  I needed that.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2005, 12:58:39 PM »

Thanks!  Actually, this is kind of fun!  If they don't mind, here is Michael Shayne's redone:

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »

And here is ozderek's redone:

no problems DR George.  I wasn't able to get the pic to size the way it should - thanks.

"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2005, 01:12:05 PM »

Your right, George, this makes the pictures look much better.

“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2005, 01:15:11 PM »

Your right, George, this makes the pictures look much better.

Not quite! ::)  Anyway, here's another version for Michael:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up