Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUNNY HOP  (Read 75732 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BUNNY HOP
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 01:22:52 AM »

Well, I guess I'll just Bunny Hop into bed, since once again there is no one left to play.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 01:30:30 AM »

I simply don't understand why the notes aren't coming up.  What browser are you using?
Standard AOL, dial-up connection.  Don't worry about it, I'll find them when I get up later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

With AOL you sometimes have to clear your cache, which is quick and effortless.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 01:32:45 AM »

In days of old, when I was but a wee teen, I would have just headed down to the Pantry for some ham and eggs right about now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 01:32:48 AM »

All right, a topic: Do you ever shop for someone else?  Meaning, do you do their shopping for them, with them giving a list of what they want and repaying later?  And if so, what are your thoughts about it?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 01:34:10 AM »

I'm a regular cache clearer.  I just hold a hankie up to the screen, and tell AOL to blow.   ::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2005, 01:34:18 AM »

There's a topic - when you were younger what were your favorite late-night eateries and what did you like to have.

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, we had a coffee shop in Culver City called Lytell's.  It was open quite late, and I'd always have fries with a side of roquefort dressing and ketchup.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 01:34:39 AM »

Well, a delightful evening tonight almost ended in tragedy for The Pogues.  We went to the Mark Taper Forum to see the delightful SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL with the delightful Brian Bedford and his delightful supporting cast.  We were easing our way back  home to Hollywood down Temple when a car sped out from a side street.  Despite the fact that I put on the brakes, there was no way to avoid hitting it.  Our front end bashed into his driver's side. It was a miracle none of us were killed.  Julieanne said he ran the stop sign at the side-street.  All I saw was the car bolt out of the side street in front of us.  

We both managed to pull our cars off the road and all of us could move and walk.  He took full responsibility for the accident (at least for now...you never know when they might change their story...but it would be pretty impossible for him to do so, as we clearly had the right of way). We made a 911 call, but unless someone is going to the hospital, the cops don't come out, though a patrol man did happen to roll by later...but by then the tow truck was there.  The Buick is probably dead and, given its age, not really worth repairing.  Lots of bumps and bruises, aches and pains for us...will probably have to see a doctor just to get an all clear later this week, but thankfully no one is dead or seriously hurt.

Now the hassle of the insurance and getting a new car, etc. I hate this crap.  But I'm alive. I wasn't so sure I would be as I watched that car loom up on me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 01:36:13 AM »

I, for one, have never shopped for anyone else.  

I used to love going out late at night for food.  I do it whenever I'm in NY, of course, but there are so few places that are open late in LA.  Casa Vega now serves until midnight (and one on the weekends), so that's at least an alternative to the awful Jerry's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2005, 01:37:36 AM »

Petula Clark is telling me Don't Sleep in the Subway.

Wise words.

Especially when you're doing the Bunny Hop.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2005, 01:40:19 AM »

I hate LA drivers.  They don't ever stop - they just come rolling out, totally unaware of what's around them.  He was probably on his cell.  Glad you two are safe and sound and excellent vibes and xylophones for no aches, pains or bruises.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2005, 01:45:17 AM »

I haven't been to The Pantry for years; it used to be a pretty good late-night eatery.

Back in college it was Jerry's restaurant (not the deli; but a burger joint like Big Boy) or the god-awful Toddle House.  And there was also a place called Bozo's that actually seemed to have pretty good burgers and fries.  Of course, White Castle was always a stand-by. And there was also Taste-O's doughnuts.  And in High School, it was Dixie Chili for Cincinnati Chili...either coney-style or the four-way...chili (beanless) on spaghetti, top with masses of shredded chees and onions.  Yum!  Coney was chili (always beanless) on a hot dog, with mustard, topped with oodles of shredded cheese and onions.  Also Yum!  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 03:00:31 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2005, 01:45:21 AM »

There's another topic - our worst car accidents.  Those who've read Kritzer Time's prologue know about that one.  But I've had a couple of other doozies - the worst of which was being broadsided on the freeway by a Ford Econoline van which, instead of going north like the rest of us, had somehow swerved and ended up coming west toward me in the fast lane.  He smacked me but good, my car flipped over twice then skidded upside down for many yards before stopping.  I climbed out of the car quickly, thinking I was mortally injured, but other than a nasty scrape on my butt cheeks (my butt was apparently literally hanging out the window dragging along the freeway), I was fine.  The car was totalled.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2005, 01:48:35 AM »

It's the absolute capriousness of it all that scares the bejesus out of me.  You can be doing everything right and proper; being the good, cautious driver and all it takes is one asshole to do something wrong and you're dead.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2005, 01:49:09 AM »

There was a strange but wonderful trendy joint called Roy's, which had Chinese food prepared by Jews.  It was really popular for a while in the seventies - a lot of drug trafficking went on there, but boy was their food good and they were open late.  It was on Sunset Blvd.  I have the menu cards, which I won  on eBay.  The menu items were written on what looked like large over-sized playing cards.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2005, 01:49:40 AM »

Der Brucer and I regularly shop for his daughter.  She's way too busy, and way too disorganized.

Thursday we took the younger grandlad with us to Dover.  The good news is that he loves going shopping with us.  The first stop was at Sam's Club, where half the list of must-buys were for his mother.  Second stop was a music store, to get new strings for his guitar (a junior-sized model).  His eyes were like saucers, looking at all the instruments.  Third stop was a SuperWalMart, to finish the mother's shopping.

Friday, der Brucer discovered that his daughter's house was out of almost everything they need for lunch, and general supplies as well.  We picked up the older grandlad after school, and took him and his younger brother with us while we went shopping.

What is amazing is how well behaved the lads are during these shopping trips.  Their mom and dad gripe constantly about how they don't behave, while we never have a problem.

I've a hunch part of why we find it easier than the parents is because der B and I are better organized.  We keep lists of what we need to buy, and can split up at times, one staying at the cart (with the lads) while the other tracks down other items that aren't as "fun" for the grandlads to find.  This also gets us out of the store faster, before boredom sinks in.  On the other hand, the lads are proving better at remembering what needs to be bought than their parents, like their daddy's sodas.

And after all the shopping, we go to their house and all have a bit of quiet time (which der B and I usually need more than the lads).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2005, 01:50:59 AM »

Especially in LA, Pogue.  And it's because drivers here have their heads up their rectal cavities while driving.  They're either on the phone, or drunk, or drugged, or just plain stupid.  I have had to do quick swerves so many times to avoid people just pulling in front of me from side streets - not even watching where they're going, just thinking they have the right to do what they please.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2005, 01:53:54 AM »

Vibes to C Pogue and his lovely wife, hoping any aches from their accident clear up quickly.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2005, 01:54:33 AM »

I'm liking this late-night food discussion - it makes me want to go out right now and have something.  I shan't because I am doing the Bunny Hop whilst in my bunny slippers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2005, 02:01:22 AM »

Well, I must Bunny Hop into the bed environment because tiredness has overtaken me like a gazelle in a thong.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2005, 02:05:32 AM »

Drivers in Delaware aren't too bad...until you get them in a parking lot.  Then they drive all over the place, cutting through lanes and suddenly pulling into the space you wanted from the other side.  We've had that happen more than once.  Apparently, pulling forwards out of a parking space is the "in" thing in these parts.

My own worst accident was in LA, however.  Morning rush hour traffic, surface streets, long before I met der Brucer (but part of why I'm happy I no longer drive).  The light turned yellow ahead of me, with three cars going through the yellow, so I put on the brakes and stopped, figuring there wouldn't be time for me to get through as well.  And then I went forward again.  The car behind me had rear-ended me, hard.  It turned out that she hadn't expected me to stop.  "But the light was still yellow!"

She later got pissed off with me for contacting the insurance company and reporting the accident.  That meant it went on her record, which meant her husband would know about it.

This took place long before cell phones.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2005, 02:06:07 AM »

I shan't because I've done enough driving for one day!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2005, 02:08:41 AM »

We have one diner in town that stays open 24/7, except for Christmas.  Our favorite waitress there was also a dominatrix, but she was let go.  Strangely, the diner's food started going downhill after she left.  I think she was keeping the cooks whipped into shape.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2005, 02:21:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Vibes for DR Charles Pogue and his Dear Wife!!~~~[/move]

I've never had a real bad accident.  The worst thing that happened was when I had an orange 1976 Super Beetle.  I was going to college at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington and I was driving up a hill (it wasn't very steep, but it went up several blocks).  I came to a stop sign and my car stalled.  I looked in my rear view mirror and saw some smoke!  My engine was on fire!!  I didn't know what to do!  I got out of the car and most fortunately, the guy driving the car behind me had a fire extinguisher.  He put out the fire very quickly.  I called my parents and they told me to get it towed.  I did and it turned out that the guy put out the fire so quickly that only some wires and hoses were damaged!  It all only cost about $300!  That was the worst car experience that happened to me, and it really wasn't too bad, considering it could have been worse! ::)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:22:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2005, 02:25:27 AM »

Later today, I'm taking...no, my niece has asked me to take her to see "The Phantom of the Opera" movie again.  She's paying, so it won't be so bad...not that the first time was so bad, but I just didn't really plan on seeing it again in the theater.  I could have been truly content (a Stephen Sondheim reference courtesy of BK!) just waiting for the DVD.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:26:39 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2005, 02:31:22 AM »

La Jolie Femme, not so Jolie or even La at this moment remembers :

Late night spots...Charlie Brown's in Lexington in 1971...a lushly couched and dimly lit louge with a jukebox full of Steely Dan, America, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Helen Reddy, Supremes, Otis Redding...you name it.  Restaurant upstairs provided GREAT hamburgers and salad with blue cheese dressing until the wee hours.  Bar provided PITCHERS of White Russians for what I remember as being $7.00 per! Wowy-wow. LOTS of greasy, blue cheesy boozy talk and really SPLENDID cheeseburgers...1/2 pound char-broiled, sauted onions, roquefort, or swiss cheese. My FAVORITE place.

Second:  My worst car accident was when I was 11.  My family was maneuvering the myriad treacherous curves in the West Virginia hills. There were five of us in a line...we were the middle car...and no room to pass the dork in front who crept up the hills at 20mph, then zoomed down at about 60! All was sorta ok, until this dork slammed on his brakes at the bottom, whereupon we all plowed into one another.  The car was totalled...accordion-pleated to death...  Mom passed out, my sis and I were thrown into the front seat, my father bashed his head against the front window, and the lady in the car in front of us amputated her arm on the glass of the window out of which she had dangled it for several miles.

Years later I learned that my third vertebrae in my neck had sustained a fracture...which caused a calcium deposit which caused me to favour my right side to compensate, which gave me more or less deadly migraines  for years. At the time, as long as everyone could walk and talk and had the usual number of digits and appendages, the medics passed over triage. Thanks, guys!

All this to say that the wreck tonight has thrown my neck out and my back is beginning to numb.  But thank God I still have my sense of humour...I'm gonna put myself to sleep with gales of gleeful laughter....NOT!

All best to kimlets everywhere. Live beautiful lives for me...do the Bunny Hop for me...hug a tree for me...and don't cry for me, Argentina!

'Night!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2005, 03:02:14 AM »

You know the internet has reached the height of ridiculousness when husband and lovely wife are in separate rooms under the same roof, posting on the same damned site.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2005, 05:56:19 AM »

I call that TECHNOLOGY!!!!

Good vibes on surviving your accident and for getting a new car DRs CP & LFJ.  It is impossible to protect yourself from idiot drivers ANYWHERE!

Late night places.....used to be a place in Indy called The Living Room - which was around the corner from the Phoenix Theatre in its original location.  Pretty good food, darts, juke box - a drink if you wanted it.  A nice place after a performance or rehearsal.  When the theatre moved to hits present location, it was closer to a place called The Elbow Room on Pennsylvania - which is more crowded, but has better food!

I hope DR MBARNUM didn't slide off the road last night!

DR RLP there was a short segment before the Pairs Skating last night about a man who had fallen during a practice (and some other clips of some bad falls and drops in Pairs) - his face was destroyed and they interviewed him.  His name was Paul....can't remember the last name.  His face is still in bad shape and he only blinks one eye - it was terrible to see.

KING OF QUEENS was a show I watched regularly when it was on the CBS Monday night comedy block.  Haven't watched it since it moved to Wednesdays, but I see it now and then in syndication.  It is funny.....I think Nicole Sullivan who used to be on MAD Tv is on it in a supporting role.  Kevin James is very funny in the lead.  Typical modern sit com - but not bad all the time.  Produced by Mr David Letterman' production company.

Worst accident....hmmmmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2005, 05:56:58 AM »

I don't even like to shop for MYSELF!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up