Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SONGLAND  (Read 5253 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: SONGLAND
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »

PAGE FOUR IT'S-TIME-TO-GO-TO-REHEARSAL DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

I'm off to the theater!

Be back later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »

Thanks to MR BK for the kind words.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »

Rehearsal vibes for DR GEORGE....I am hoping I am in the same boat this time next week.....again at last!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:41 PM »

Cat vibes for DR LAURA.

FJL

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »

Caught up, and thanks for reading that memory about the summer boss from 1981 remebering me all those years later.

I've wondered if part of it was that I was so happy and willing to work all hours that summer, and at 21 and eager to apply what I'd learned in law school first year to real life, had the stamina and also really wanted to grab as much learning as I could, and grabbed any case that sounded interesting. Then once I had it assigned, short shrift on any, or trying to back out, wasn't an option.  That was at 21 for three months.  I've wondered if I could ever have kept those hours at a full-time year-round job there! But there were enough cases where we had to defend the "wrong side" at times, and I saw that as a drawback in law firm practice. 

(Obviously, vixmom in her job now does those hours, and maybe then some.  :)  )

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:58:07 PM by FJL »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »

TOD 2:

I can't believe I forgot Dinah Washington, who seems to embody diva divineness with every sassy lyric reading she ever gave.

Which leads me to Billie Holiday and Eartha Kitt.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2018, 07:57:09 PM »

I don't know that I would include Ella Fitzgerald on that list, except for her talents. She was truly one of the humble people I've ever met, bubbly and glad to be performing. No attitude whatsoever.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »

Very long, exhausting day at work. But also a good day.

USAA was named the No. 7 company in the U.S. for customer experience. Wegmans was No. 1, and our local H-E-B grocery was No. 2.

USAA credit cards, which is an area I work with, was voted No. 1 for customer experience. So was our insurance branch, which I only occasionally deal with. All from the Temkin Group.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

John G, are you still planning to go to Hemisfair Park for the "Viva Max!" screening?

John G.

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »

Listening to the score for Rashomon. I don't think J.B. likes the Japanese-sounding music from Laurence Rosenthal. Not his culture. He declined lessons in flower arranging and serving tea. And I don't think a kimono would suit him. So much for that.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »

John G, are you still planning to go to Hemisfair Park for the "Viva Max!" screening?

I am. The high that day, though, is supposed to be 61 degrees and it's supposed to be windy. I may have to drag out the winter wear one more time.

But HemisFair Park is right across the street from a new Italian restaurant called Nonna, run by my close personal friend Luca Della Casa. If any of you remember, Next Food Network Star, Luca almost won the season he was on. Anyway, I hear the food is great. So I'm very happy for him.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »

I have a recall on the Honda that I have to get taken care of Saturday afternoon.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

A Place to Call Home season five is "In Transit" to me at the library.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »

This is part of what's on Wikipedia under Mark Wahlberg:

"At 16, Wahlberg approached a middle-aged Vietnamese man named Thanh Lam on the street, and using a large wooden stick, bashed him over the head until he was knocked unconscious while calling him a "Vietnam fucking shit". That same day, Wahlberg also attacked a second Vietnamese man named Hoa "Johnny" Trinh, sucker punching him in the eye. According to court documents regarding these crimes, when Wahlberg was arrested later that night and returned to the scene of the first assault, he stated to police officers: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the mother-fucker whose head I split open."[14] Investigators also noted that Wahlberg "made numerous unsolicited racial statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'.[15][16]

For these crimes, Wahlberg was charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to assault, and was sentenced to two years in Suffolk County Deer Island House of Correction. He ultimately served only 45 days of his sentence,[15][17] but carries a permanent felony record. Wahlberg believed he had left Trinh permanently blind in one eye.[13][15][16] Trinh said in December 2014 that he had already lost that eye during the Vietnam War, and did not know the identity of his assailant prior to being contacted by the media.[18]

In another incident, then 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack.[19] Court documents state that in 1992, Wahlberg "without provocation or cause, viciously and repeatedly kicked" a man named Robert D. Crehan in the face and jaw while another man named Derek McCall held Crehan down on the ground.[20]

Commenting in 2006 on his past crimes, Wahlberg stated: "I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes." He said the right thing to do would be to try to find the blinded man and make amends, and admitted he has not done so, but added that he was no longer burdened by guilt: "You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."[17] In 2016, Wahlberg said he'd met Trinh and apologized for his "horrific acts".[21]

After prison, Wahlberg decided to improve his behavior. Of this he has said,

As soon as I began that life of crime, there was always a voice in my head telling me I was going to end up in jail. Three of my brothers had done time. My sister went to prison so many times I lost count. Finally I was there, locked up with the kind of guys I'd always wanted to be like. Now I'd earned my stripes and I was just like them, and I realized it wasn't what I wanted at all. I'd ended up in the worst place I could possibly imagine and I never wanted to go back. First of all, I had to learn to stay on the straight and narrow.[22]

Wahlberg first relied on the guidance of his parish priest to turn his back on crime. He told his street gang that he was leaving them and had "some serious fights" with them over it.[22]

On November 26, 2014, Wahlberg filed an application in Massachusetts requesting a full and unconditional pardon[23] of his prior convictions.[24] His pardon application engendered some controversy.[15] According to the BBC, the debate about his suitability for a pardon raised "difficult issues, with the arguments on both sides being far-reaching and complex".[25] One of Wahlberg's victims, Trinh, pledged in December 2014 to make a written statement supporting a pardon.[18] Kristyn Atwood, one of the African-American children attacked by Wahlberg, spoke out against the pardon in 2015, saying "a racist will always be a racist".[26] In September 2016, Wahlberg's pardon petition was closed after he failed to answer a request from the pardon board as to whether he wanted it to remain open.[27]"

FJL

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »

As I said, Wahlberg served some time, 45 days, as would Spacey gotten some punishment if Rapp had reported Spacey when it happened, rather than 40 years later and all that ensued.  I just find it ironic that it was Wahlberg paif over a million to reshoot and wipe out Spacey.  (And odd that it took Wahlberg until 2016 to apologize.)

FJL

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »

I am. The high that day, though, is supposed to be 61 degrees and it's supposed to be windy. I may have to drag out the winter wear one more time.

But HemisFair Park is right across the street from a new Italian restaurant called Nonna, run by my close personal friend Luca Della Casa. If any of you remember, Next Food Network Star, Luca almost won the season he was on. Anyway, I hear the food is great. So I'm very happy for him.

Great, so you'll tell me if they do that shout-out, wondering what they'll say.  They said it'll just be a few words as they pass out the CD's - the focus of the talking part is Jim Mendiola's documentary "Making Viva Max!" about the uproar around the making of the film.

FJL

« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2018, 08:12:59 PM »

Are you able to watch the film from the restaurant the way it's set up? 

John G.

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »

Are you able to watch the film from the restaurant the way it's set up? 

No. It's in a hotel across the street from the park. You have to go into the park to get to where the movie is being shown.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »

There's the other crime of Wahlberg getting paid much more than Michelle Williams, but that's show biz, kid, as Roxie would say.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

I'm fading fast.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »

Alex North has a lovely, sad little waltz in his Death of a Salesman score.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »

Page four?  Really?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »

Today I received a book in the mail