Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SUBTLY CORRECTED BOOK  (Read 5926 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SUBTLY CORRECTED BOOK
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were subtly corrected, and now it is time for you to post until the subtly corrected cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SUBTLY CORRECTED BOOK
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:52:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: REIFY!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:40:58 AM »

Good morning, all! 
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 04:47:01 AM »

As soon as I posted last night, I went to bed.  As soon as I turned out the lights, Annabelle and Thatch went crazy. running about, creating havoc.  Thatch played with his new ball toy from my neighbor Jaymie, and Annabelle climbed on to of the refrigerator and tossed things onto the floor: a bottles of vegetable oil and olive oil, coffee creamer, cat food.  I turned on the faucet and threw water at her until she stopped and climbed down.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:54:31 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:49:24 AM »

Then I went back to bed and slept badly.  At 6:30 the cats started in again.  Now that they're fed, they're happy but Annabelle is restless to patrol the building.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:14:54 AM »

I am sorry now that I did not get to see Bette Midler in Hello, Dolly! but I really thought that Bernadette Peters gave a wonderful performance, as did Victor Garber, both of whom completely surprised me.  Of the Dollys I've seen - Channing, Mary Martin, Ginger Rogers, and Streisand in the film - I would say she wasn't as good as Channing or Martin but she was much better than Rogers or Streisand. She looked great, she was very funny, and she seemed to be having a wonderful time playing a character actually in her age range.  I wish she would backphrase less in her songs.

Garber is a cerebral performer, lacking the gruffness and bluster of David Burns, Walter Matthau, and other Vandergelders I've seen. I think he's a good actor but I thought he was too soft for the role.  I was surprised how much I liked him.  I also liked Santino Fontana as Cornelius and Charley Stemp as Barnaby very much, but I was disappointed by Kate Baldwin. The orchestra sounded good, but I wish they had kept the original orchestrations.  The designs looked great and Jerry Zaks and Warren Carlyle kept the production fluid and constantly in motion.  This is also the first Zaks staging of a revival where I never felt the tempos were pushed to a frenzy.

FJL

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 05:26:29 AM »

I recall really trying to get the rights to create a musical of Ira Levin's "Critic's Choice."  (ity became a movie with Lucille Ball and Bob Hope.)  A short while later, Ira Levin's son Nicholas Levin was in the class Skip taught at BMI, and (at least to my ears) Nick is a most accomplished composer-lyricist, whose songs when he's at his best are often as entertaining as his father's work.

FJL

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 05:27:48 AM »

It seemed logical that if any of Ira Levin's plays were to get the musical treatment, Nick would get dibs on doing the score. 

Nick keeps doing shows and acts here and there, like 95% of everybody, still waiting to have that breakthrough.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 05:30:51 AM »

But I do find Critic's Choice, and Levin's play of No Time for Sergeants very funny.  (at least when I last read them in the last century)

KevinH

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 05:43:22 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 05:43:54 AM »

Over 70 degrees yesterday, 44 right now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 05:55:49 AM »

Good morning, all.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 05:56:54 AM »

I am pleased to announce the publication of YVONNE DE CARLO, the 18th play in THE HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS collection.

This one-woman play about Hollywood's "Queen of Technicolor" is set in 1974 when the lively, direct-speaking star of many action films, plus THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, television's THE MUNSTERS and Broadway's FOLLIES is faced with a life-changing decision.

YVONNE DE CARLO is available in both paperback and Kindle editions via Amazon.  Performance rights are available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1986768678/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523039502&sr=1-1&keywords=yvonne+de+carlo+druxman
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 05:57:55 AM »

It’s disheartening to hear of people slapping a Bernard Herrmann score, or any such thing, really, onto a play in that manner.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 05:57:57 AM »

T.O.D.

DEATHTRAP
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »

I’d love to see a great production of DEATHTRAP.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 06:00:31 AM »

And now I know I have to see HELLO, DOLLY! one of these days.  Thank you for the review, DR Elmore.

FJL

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 06:24:21 AM »

I am sorry now that I did not get to see Bette Midler in Hello, Dolly! but I really thought that Bernadette Peters gave a wonderful performance, as did Victor Garber, both of whom completely surprised me.  Of the Dollys I've seen - Channing, Mary Martin, Ginger Rogers, and Streisand in the film - I would say she wasn't as good as Channing or Martin but she was much better than Rogers or Streisand. She looked great, she was very funny, and she seemed to be having a wonderful time playing a character actually in her age range.  I wish she would backphrase less in her songs.

Garber is a cerebral performer, lacking the gruffness and bluster of David Burns, Walter Matthau, and other Vandergelders I've seen. I think he's a good actor but I thought he was too soft for the role.  I was surprised how much I liked him.  I also liked Santino Fontana as Cornelius and Charley Stemp as Barnaby very much, but I was disappointed by Kate Baldwin. The orchestra sounded good, but I wish they had kept the original orchestrations.  The designs looked great and Jerry Zaks and Warren Carlyle kept the production fluid and constantly in motion.  This is also the first Zaks staging of a revival where I never felt the tempos were pushed to a frenzy.

Thanks for that wonderful detail, Larry!

FJL

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 06:24:28 AM »

What is Dolly's age range?  Is it that as long as Horace is a reasonable match, she can be anyone over 40?

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I'm getting ready to attend a fundraiser for the local chapter of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library and looking forward to seeing lots of friends and a new event venue.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 06:29:14 AM »

Thanks, DR Elmore for the DOLLY report!

And now I know I have to see HELLO, DOLLY! one of these days.  Thank you for the review, DR Elmore.

Richard and I have tickets for Tuesday, July 3 - Orchestra, Row R, seats 113 & 114.  Come join us!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »

We've continued our catch-up movie viewing.  Thursday evening we watched DARKEST HOUR  and last night JUMANJI. 

FJL

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »

More on what we try to forget and ignore about people we're writing with when we feel good about the project.  (Going through the old emails now for reasons I can't say online.)

An odd "Dead Aunt" tidbit:  (with all respect to the late aunt, who must have been a wonderful person, but in retrospect seems to have been used by this writer as an emotional weapon!)

April 7 2011:
I'm actually in Connecticut right now at a hospital with my aunt.  She has been bravely fighting cancer for a few years now, and took a turn for the worse yesterday, and I was asked to come to the hospital today.  She is le a second mother to me.  She doesn't have much longer, but as with these kinds of horrible illnesses, no one really knows wheher that means a couple days or a couple weeks.  So I can" t really be more responsive now, but yes.... (etc.)

Us on April 7 2011:
Sending our love to you and strength to you and your family.   If you need any errands run in the city while you're gone, just let us know.  Love, Skip and Fred

April 13, 2011, she was off on a vacation to Florida until April 23. 

In retrospect, I feel we were played, with the late aunt having been trotted out when she could be used to great nasty effect.  You can't fight a dead aunt without her blowing up in your face.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:52 AM »

Jrand - thanks for sharing that yesterday about your aunt!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 07:18:18 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 07:18:22 AM »

HA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »

I am off to open the barn, attend a board meeting, and look for ANNIE, hopefully I shall return....sometime
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »

Nothing you can do will help a Dead Aunt.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »

Nothing you can do will help a Dead Aunt.

Especially after internment.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 07:48:24 AM »

TOD:

ROSEMARY'S BABY....hands down best read and film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up