Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SUBTLY CORRECTED BOOK  (Read 5962 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE SUBTLY CORRECTED BOOK
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »

It's actually Saturday and it feels like Saturday.  Unsettling, truly, to have two Saturdays in a row.  Such are the vagaries of retirement, I suppose.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »

We are going to the Pool Room (aka Billiard Parlor) in Edgefield for lunch.  Burgers, hot dogs and fries.  None of that rhymes with anything that stands for pool, but I get a definite Meredith Willson vibe from it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »

Speaking of vibes, I get warm fuzzies reading about Annabelle and Thatch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - barely.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »

From DR George:
I have a co-worker that for just about EVERY e-book that she buys, she (when she's able) strips the DRM from the e-book (both epub and Kindle) so that she can reformat them the way that SHE wants them.  Evidently, Kindle e-books can have either too much or too little space in between paragraphs, or some are formatted where she can't make changes through her device, things like that.  I know she reads a lot of e-books, but to automatically do that for practically every one is (to me) kind of ridiculous.  Just read the darned book, is what I say...but not to her, of course. ;)

This is funny, and in my opinion a ridiculous waste of time. ;D

Jane

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »

As soon as I posted last night, I went to bed.  As soon as I turned out the lights, Annabelle and Thatch went crazy. running about, creating havoc.  Thatch played with his new ball toy from my neighbor Jaymie, and Annabelle climbed on to of the refrigerator and tossed things onto the floor: a bottles of vegetable oil and olive oil, coffee creamer, cat food.  I turned on the faucet and threw water at her until she stopped and climbed down.

Those nocturnal kittens are such a joy ;) :D

Just curious, when you had your pre-adoption home check, did the inspector warn you that kittens would likely knock all these things down?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:15:27 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »

We've continued our catch-up movie viewing.  Thursday evening we watched DARKEST HOUR  and last night JUMANJI. 

Did you like JUMANJI?  We watched it a few nights ago and found it loads of fun.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »

I should not be laughing at the dead aunt jokes but I am.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »

DR FJL, yes you were played.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

As soon as I posted last night, I went to bed.  As soon as I turned out the lights, Annabelle and Thatch went crazy. running about, creating havoc.  Thatch played with his new ball toy from my neighbor Jaymie, and Annabelle climbed on to of the refrigerator and tossed things onto the floor: a bottles of vegetable oil and olive oil, coffee creamer, cat food.  I turned on the faucet and threw water at her until she stopped and climbed down.

Those nocturnal kittens are such a joy ;) :D

Just curious, when you had your pre-adoption home check, did the inspector warn you that kittens would likely knock all these things down?

No.  The home inspection is to check for screens and safety guards on windows, decent living environmewnt, etc.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »

I like the idea of a safety check, just thought though he might have mentioned it-lol  Of course you would still have the kittens. :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »

I’m waiting at the car dealership while a recall gets fixed.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

I have an Edith Wharton novella to keep me occupied. Something called Bunner Sisters.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »

TOD:

All of the above. I don’t think I haven’t enjoyed an Ira Levin work, except the Stepford remake, but that wasn’t really his.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »

Page two?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »

Back from a light breakfast and reading the first draft of the Doug Haverty script for the musical we're writing.  Some good things, but we are not on the same page in terms of the show we're writing, so I think we'll meet tomorrow and go over everything.  I think his idea is fantastic and I think he's not realizing the fun or the potential of it and the way he's shoehorning in the songs isn't organic - so I've completely rearranged all the opening scenes that occur within the big opening number, and then we have to get on the same page after that.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »

Yesterday DR George wrote:
I have a co-worker that for just about EVERY e-book that she buys, she (when she's able) strips the DRM from the e-book (both epub and Kindle) so that she can reformat them the way that SHE wants them.  Evidently, Kindle e-books can have either too much or too little space in between paragraphs, or some are formatted where she can't make changes through her device, things like that.  I know she reads a lot of e-books, but to automatically do that for practically every one is (to me) kind of ridiculous.  Just read the darned book, is what I say...but not to her, of course. ;)

This is the dumbest sounding thing that I have ever heard. Most kindle e-books are formatted perfectly fine. Plus you can adjust them on your own kindle (make the print larger or smaller, add fewer spacings between lines). I don't even think that it is legal to do this.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »

JohnG, are you still going to Hemisfair tonight?

FJL

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

By a very talented and capable person, though.  I can't imagine if what we thought and expected she'd bring to the project weren't worth trying to put this type of stuff out of our minds, it would need looking at emails to see what went on.  (At least based on the back emails I've happened across so far, it seems the main problem that her reaction was these communication breaks, and lack of consideration for what anyone else was putting in to the writing.  Mainly a feeling like from a sitcom:  "If you don't know why I'm upset, I'm not gonna tell you."  But it feels like the truth is we wanted what she was doing, but all the other 3 pretty much sat and waited through the absences, never knowing when the absences would be over.

I think in what I read yesterday, there was actually an exchange that felt like: I'm so mad that you're upset about my unannounced unexplained cooling-off break, that I just have to take another cooling-off break.    :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:49:05 PM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »

I like the idea of a safety check, just thought though he might have mentioned it-lol  Of course you would still have the kittens. :)

Why? I know and they know that cats climb.  The refrigerator is Annabelle's new Mt Everest.  I will keep spraying her with water until she realizes she should go climb a bookcase.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »

BK - "GEE" is in the house!  The reason, i guess, was that the people in the package room have been overworked so passing out the delivery slips got delayed, and their main boss did not OK overtime.   I'm pretty sure Skip hasn't started "War and Peace" while waiting for it.  :)

I also loved the added bonus sheet (and the beautifully scribbled comments on it), and the title page note/signature.

FJL

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »

Why? I know and they know that cats climb.  The refrigerator is Annabelle's new Mt Everest.  I will keep spraying her with water until she realizes she should go climb a bookcase.

GO CLIMB A BOOKCASE - Sorkin's play adaptation of Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchman" preserving none of the intent of the original

John G.

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »

JohnG, are you still going to Hemisfair tonight?

Planning on it. Temperature is only 50 right now. So I need to pack a blanket.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »

I turned on the air conditioner today. In April. Unheard of.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »

I have an Edith Wharton novella to keep me occupied. Something called Bunner Sisters.

I haven't read anything by her yet.  Is it good?

Jane

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »

By a very talented and capable person, though.  I can't imagine if what we thought and expected she'd bring to the project weren't worth trying to put this type of stuff out of our minds, it would need looking at emails to see what went on.  (At least based on the back emails I've happened across so far, it seems the main problem that her reaction was these communication breaks, and lack of consideration for what anyone else was putting in to the writing.  Mainly a feeling like from a sitcom:  "If you don't know why I'm upset, I'm not gonna tell you."  But it feels like the truth is we wanted what she was doing, but all the other 3 pretty much sat and waited through the absences, never knowing when the absences would be over.

I think in what I read yesterday, there was actually an exchange that felt like: I'm so mad that you're upset about my unannounced unexplained cooling-off break, that I just have to take another cooling-off break.    :)

That last email is hysterical, looking back on it.  I doubt you laughed too much at the time.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »

When possible I just moved things to a safer place or put them away.  You have to have space to move things.  She does seem to like high places and, in my experience, all the spraying in the world didn't stop them from jumping when I wasn't home ;D

Jane

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »

Oh, and DR elmore you seem to be surprised that Annabelle loves to knock things over ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

When possible I just moved things to a safer place or put them away.  You have to have space to move things.  She does seem to like high places and, in my experience, all the spraying in the world didn't stop them from jumping when I wasn't home ;D

I would know that she's been on top of the refrigerator when I'm not home by the objects on the floor in front of it when I returned.  So far, it only happens when I'm home.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up