Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAYS OF OUR POSTS  (Read 50395 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE DAYS OF OUR POSTS
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 05:06:05 AM »

I love a chocolate covered bismark oozing with cream filling.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 05:14:20 AM »

Good morning, all!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DROZDEREK!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Dear Friend BK, I never saw a post from you saying you were definitely coming in to New York.  I'm very happy to hear it.  If there's a reading in Manhattan while you are here, I most certainly would try to be there.   This is going to be one partay!

TOD:  I haven't had one in years, but I always loved apple dumplings.  When I moved to New York in 1979, every neighborhood had a bakery, and they've mostly vanished over the past two decades.  I miss them because everything I find looking fab in a display case, whether it's chocolate cake, an eclair, whatever, tastes like sawdust.  I'm now on a crusade to find a good bakery, and I know they do exist in th city.   I have to say, though, that last Thursday's dinner with DRPennyO ended with excellent cheesecake.  Yummlicious!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 05:18:08 AM »

Chocolate Eclairs & Napoleon's.

I'll vote for those two too. But they have to have custard and not cream in them.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 05:19:46 AM »

If you have the reading on Friday instead of Thursday, I'll be there.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 05:24:55 AM »

Thursday, March 17th at 6pm for a BK reading is good for me. And then two days later we get to see Penny O! What a combo. Although, taking into account DR Shayne's request for a Friday reading, I could do that as well.

I love chocolate eclairs although I haven't had one in ages. And though it's not really pastry, sour cream raisin pie is a delicacy that I could eat every day, although I would probably tire of it if I ate it every day and then it wouldn't be a delicacy anymore and I would have to abstain in order to re-ignite my love for it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 05:25:39 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2005, 05:26:53 AM »

DR Larry is correct in his note that bakeries in NYC seem to have disappeared over the past 20-odd years. There are still places where you can get bread and pastries and goodies, but there are far fewer than when I came here in 1980.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2005, 05:28:16 AM »

Oh, yes. Best of health and good, strong NY vibes to OzDerek.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2005, 05:28:33 AM »

I am my own frenzy (not to be confused with my own wife)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2005, 05:29:37 AM »

I love a chocolate covered bismark oozing with cream filling.

I thought "Bismarck is a herring."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2005, 05:32:33 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HEALTHY VIBES OF HEALTH FOR DR OZDEREK  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2005, 05:35:04 AM »

Does Mahler's still exist in NYC?  (A elaine stritch reference)
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2005, 05:43:31 AM »

I like danish.  Did the Danish invent danish?  Or did it originate in a country foreign to Denmark?  Did a Dutch baker one day make one and say, "Ha!  Look at what I made!  It's flat and sweet and flakey.  Just like them Danish.  I'll call it a danish!"

While I would not turn down a regular cheese, cherry or lemon danish, I really prefer the ones that come from the ovens of Le Bus, a local bakery chain in Philly.  They tend to use slightly more exotic fruit filling such as pineapple, raspberry and mango.  Yum.

And then there are times when a strawberry Pop Tart will do.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2005, 05:46:40 AM »

Poppyseed danish, followed by prune.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2005, 05:47:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good-Health Vibes to OZDEREK[/move]

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2005, 05:57:27 AM »

I like the Ibi Neni pastry that I posted a recipe for once and Dan in TO tried.

I tried it twice in fact, and it's a winner. (Ground walnuts, chocolate, butter, eggs, apricot jam - what's not to like?) DR Panni had kindly posted it. Now I can't find my printout. I thought I could simply search Panni's posts and retrieve the recipe - but I'm timing out. And a Google search of "Ibi Neni" only gives me information about expeditions to Mali.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2005, 06:09:15 AM »

Health vibes to DR Ozderek!

Anyone ever try the fabulous Italian bakery (oldest cafe on the West side) La Fortuna at 71st and Columbus??? GREAT pastries of all kinds. maybe we'll all go while y'all are in town??

Speaking of which: my count so far is 9 or 10, depending upon if I count BK; plus a few "possibles". I have been asked about tickets. I think the best way to do this is if everyone buys online at www.ticketcentral.com - and asks for 4th, 5th, or 6th row center. That way you can all be in a WAD together. Larry asked if i could reserve 12 seats together, but I'm not allowed to do more than 4-6 "house seats" per performance. yes, friends, THEY are running all box office stuff! Huzzah! one less thing for me to think about...

News Flash - havin' a heat wave here... it's almost up to 30 degrees today. This is so welcome after the past few days of 12-18 degree temps DURING THE DAY!!!
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2005, 06:31:45 AM »

Mmmmm, pastries...Graeter's is most well-known for ice cream www.graeters.com, but their Cincinnati locations also have bakery items.  My favorites are cinnamon squares and cheese crowns.

RE the NYC weekend - I'm so excited!  Since I have a midday meeting in Cleveland on Friday, I won't be arriving until that evening.  Depending on flight times, I might be able to make it to a Friday evening reading/signing.

A wonderful coincidence has occurred, too, in that my niece, Laura, who is golf pro at Illinois State University, will be in the city that same weekend.  Her significant other, Steve, is ISU's Director of Bands and his Wind Symphony is making their NY debut at Alice Tully Hall at 5pm on Sunday, March 20.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 08:10:10 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2005, 06:34:06 AM »

Best health vibes to DR ozderek and to DR Ann!

DR cillaliz - very nice picture.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2005, 06:34:07 AM »

Ginny, glad to hear you're coming! Is your meeting at the Cleveland Foundation Center?

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2005, 06:38:05 AM »

Ben - Yes, the FC Cleveland Advisory Board is meeting on March 18.  At least that's what my notes from the Dec. meeting say - I'm waiting for email confirmation from Cindy before making plane reservation out of Cleveland.  If I don't have to be in Cleveland that day, I'll fly out of Cincinnati.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2005, 07:13:06 AM »

I am back from Florida.

Haven't read a word of the notes or posts from prior days yet, so I will only comment on what is news to me:

Welcome DRs Iris212 and CillaLiz.

Health vibes to DR OzDerek.

More later; Film at 11.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2005, 07:14:13 AM »

I thought "Bismarck is a herring."

No it's closer to an eclair. Must be an Iowa thing

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2005, 07:17:30 AM »

DRGINNY has put us into W I D E S C R E E N on my computer.

Nice picture DR CILLALIZ!

BEST OF VIBES TO DR OZDEREK!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2005, 07:18:36 AM »

DR cillaliz - very nice picture.

Why, thank youn DR Ginny, just found out my sweet little 2 1/2 year old calico cat may have cancer. The tests aren't all in yet, and I'm still hopeful the vet is over-reacting, but it's a bit scary.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2005, 07:19:06 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm in Indiana....what we call a bismarck is a solid donut type object with white icing and crushed nuts on top.  They are very tasty.  I also like the eclair type object called a "long john" which is a rectangle with chocolate on top and white whipped cream filling.

Donut holes are fine too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2005, 07:20:50 AM »

Cillaliz, it is nice to see a picture!

Do donuts count as pastries, cause I love (and miss  >:( ) donuts...particularly cake donuts with chocolate frosting and maybe some of those pink sprinkles!

Those Papa Beards Cream Puffs sound tasty!

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2005, 07:22:09 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm in Indiana....what we call a bismarck is a solid donut type object with white icing and crushed nuts on top.  They are very tasty.  I also like the eclair type object called a "long john" which is a rectangle with chocolate on top and white whipped cream filling.

Donut holes are fine too.

That's the Bismark I'm referring to, tasty especially when very fresh.  When I was in college there was a bakery that used to open at midnight to serve hot fresh doughnuts. People lined up around the block to get them.  MMMM

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2005, 07:22:43 AM »

Pastries are fine and dandy and are a necessary nutritional building block.  But I've been feeling cookie deficient since Christmas.  It's a condition I need to correct.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2005, 07:23:25 AM »

Many healthy vibes to OzDerek!

And also to DR Cillaliz's cat (I hope the test turn out favorable).

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2005, 07:24:47 AM »

Pastries are fine and dandy and are a necessary nutritional building block.  But I've been feeling cookie deficient since Christmas.  It's a condition I need to correct.

Did you know Midwest Airlines (used to be Midwest Express) bakes chocolate chip cookies in flight? I think it's wonderful......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up