Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE CHARACTER IN SEARCH OF A DAY  (Read 6591 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: ONE CHARACTER IN SEARCH OF A DAY
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:44 AM »

One of the big problems we have out here in the boondocks is the idea that just because a person is a dance teacher, he/she is also a choreographer....

It ain't the same thing, folks!  And if you think the audience doesn't notice - you're wrong!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »

I am sorry about your stage manager/choreographer leaving you , George.  Vibes you get a great replacement

Thanks, Vixmom!  I'm sure that whoever does it will be good. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »

I got some lovely movies in the mail from former DR MBARNUM.....I hope to begin my viewing later tonight with the musical CHA CHA CHA BOOM!

I bet that one has some CHOREOGRAPHY in it and how!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »

Just to show how fat and sassy I am, here is a photo from my lunch jaunt with my cousin Carol today.....we were most amusing and popular with the populace.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »

I remember even in the very first Broadway production of ANNIE, for "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile,"  the cute little orphans were bumping and grinding like strippers during the dance break. 

LOL, I don't recall bumping and grinding like strippers.

We saw it in the spring of '79 when my parent's were visiting us in New Jersey.  What I recall the most about it was my mother and I having the same reaction.  We both walked away feeling sad.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »

One of the big problems we have out here in the boondocks is the idea that just because a person is a dance teacher, he/she is also a choreographer....

It ain't the same thing, folks!  And if you think the audience doesn't notice - you're wrong!

Should I laugh or cry for you?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »

It is kind of a downer - but in the end hopeful....

Jane

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »

I've contacted a Rescue Group, Little Wanderers NYC, about taking the discarded food off my hands.  It night as well go to a good cause.

Just heard from them.  They'll be here around 4:00.

That was fast :)

Jane

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »

Since we have NINETEEN of them, not all of the orphans have names assigned in the script....I told them they could use their middle names as their orphan names.
We have a Ruby, a Judy, a Bernice, and a Colleen among others.

That was a good suggestion.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »

DR Jrand I smiled when I saw your photo, very nice :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »

I've contacted a Rescue Group, Little Wanderers NYC, about taking the discarded food off my hands.  It night as well go to a good cause.

Just heard from them.  They'll be here around 4:00.

That was fast :)

They just canceled on me and asked about tomorrow morning. I'm waiting to hear from Joshie before I can say yes or no.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »

And I’d argue that Someone Wonderful I Missed was the most gorgeous theater song that season.

Pretty much the whole I LOVE MY WIFE cast album brought me conniptions of joy!    I was so excited when I heard Coleman and Stewart were re-teaming for BARNUM.  Why were we deprived of Michael Stewart's lyrics all those years before these shows?  (Maybe BK knows the answer.)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

Great photo, JRand.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

And I’d argue that Someone Wonderful I Missed was the most gorgeous theater song that season.

Pretty much the whole I LOVE MY WIFE cast album brought me conniptions of joy!    I was so excited when I heard Coleman and Stewart were re-teaming for BARNUM.  Why were we deprived of Michael Stewart's lyrics all those years before these shows?  (Maybe BK knows the answer.)

Someone Wonderful on YouTube

https://youtu.be/5lcD6pinQK0

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »

And I agree, Fred. Just a joyous album.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »

Two weeks is a long time to have to monitor the kitties' hard vs soft foods.  I don't remember having to do that except for maybe the first couple of days after a dental procedure.  Good luck, DR Elmore!

Yep.  Two weeks!  Thinly sliced deli turkey is very soft, so they get that as a treat.  I just came back from the corner bodega with a pound of it.

Are there any soft kitty treats that they like?  For some reason, Ebonie didn't and Neve doesn't like the soft treats at all.  They both only preferred crunch treats.

George

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »

George, so sorry to hear about the person leaving your show.  Hope you find a good replacement, or maybe it'll be two good people for the two jobs.

Thanks, Fred!  I would assume that we'll get two people.  Vanessa is a renaissance kinda gal.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »

I remember even in the very first Broadway production of ANNIE, for "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile,"  the cute little orphans were bumping and grinding like strippers during the dance break. 

LOL, I don't recall bumping and grinding like strippers.

We saw it in the spring of '79 when my parent's were visiting us in New Jersey.  What I recall the most about it was my mother and I having the same reaction.  We both walked away feeling sad.

In the link BK gave from the 1977 Tonys, it's the tush-bump down the line at 1:17 I was talking about. (My mind added the grind, I guess>) And Little Molly becoming actress Danielle Brisebois for a moment, bowing and acknowledging the audience's applause.  Magic in 1977. 

Danielle B. of course went on to some TV sitcom stardom.

By the time the show moved to the big Uris a/k/a Gershwin Theatre, the ads and marketing felt all about the kids. During Dorothy Loudon's run, I saw it several times, but didn't notice an unusual number of kids in the audience.  I'd talked my American Studies class professor into letting me do my term paper on ANNIE and the relevance of the Great Depression era character in the more hopeful Jimmy Carter's America.  The professor was reluctant to OK the topic at first, until I showed him an outline, but he ended up giving me one of my law school recommendation letters. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:11:29 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »

I tried to find that term paper when my parents gave up their Brooklyn place for Florida year-round, but couldn't find it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:19:56 PM by FJL »

George

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »

Yup!  I knew a couple of dancers who thought that way, too.  Yikes! is all I can say. ::)

;)

FJL

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »

Jrand, in BK's link, there actually were gymnastics in "You're never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" even in 1977, though IIRC not "Hard Knock Life"

FJL

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »

I love watching those original videos!!!

DR FJL I like that quote.....he's right.....who knows?

FROM DR FJL:
I mean, the pre-teen kids are rhyming "smidge" and "orphanage"  - as some critic said of some funny, stretchy JOSEPH lyrics, who's to say where naivete ends and sophisticated begins?

I think that critic was citing (from JOSEPH) really giggly stuff like "All those things you saw in your pajamas / Are a long-range forecast for your farmers."   

In ANNIE, "The snowflakes are frightened of falling" rhyming with "And all through the land folks are bawling." [the latter of which to my Borscht Belt mind made me think when I heard it, wouldn't that have been great in I LOVE MY WIFE.  :)

(sorry, i know it's a family site)

George

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

Just to show how fat and sassy I am, here is a photo from my lunch jaunt with my cousin Carol today.....we were most amusing and popular with the populace.

Great picture, Jrand!

FJL

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »

George, so sorry to hear about the person leaving your show.  Hope you find a good replacement, or maybe it'll be two good people for the two jobs.

Thanks, Fred!  I would assume that we'll get two people.  Vanessa is a renaissance kinda gal.

George, even though she couldn't do both, was there any reason she couldn't do one job on your show and not the other?

FJL

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »

Great photo!!!

George

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »

George, even though she couldn't do both, was there any reason she couldn't do one job on your show and not the other?

I don't think so.  What she's doing now is probably rehearsing at the same time as our show.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »

Wow, a lesson not to let people multi-task if they have the right to leave for better pay! 

FJL

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »

or maybe any pay!

George

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

Wow, a lesson not to let people multi-task if they have the right to leave for better pay! 

The thing is, our show had auditioned and was cast back in October because the music director was going to be working in Hawaii from the week after the auditions to the Wednesday before rehearsals started a week ago Sunday, and I assume that the stage manager/choreographer was confirmed back in October.  This paying gig evidently literally just reared its ugly head and we're the collateral damage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up