Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: REDISCOVERING MY BUDDAH  (Read 37133 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:REDISCOVERING MY BUDDAH
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 12:36:55 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Tomovoz

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2005, 12:37:49 AM »

"When She Loved Me" by Randy Newman might be worth a thought or two.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2005, 12:39:53 AM »

I don't have all the particulars yet, but at some point this year Mr. Haines will be going back into the studio to do a new album.  Songs are being chosen right now, so if you have anything you'd like to suggest, now is the time.  We've decided on about five for sure.

Yea!!  When you were deciding on what songs to record for the Kritzer books, were there any that you thought about recording, but decided not to...maybe because you only wanted so many songs on each of the CDs?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 12:46:14 AM »

No, I pretty much did the Kritzer songs I wanted to.  All I can say is that this will be eclectic and will favor ballads, at least that is the plan - things can evolve, of course.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2005, 01:01:04 AM »

Off to get some rest so I can get up early. I won't be posting for most of the day today. I'm in the final stages of this rewrite and I need to finish it up.
Hope you all have a good day.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2005, 01:02:44 AM »

And - again - please give Mr. Haines my congratulations. I'm looking forward to his new album.

George

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2005, 01:23:43 AM »

It's 1:30 (a.m.) and I must brush my teeth and go to sleep.  Good night!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2005, 01:25:37 AM »

And about the new Guy Haines CD:  "Ah, sir, happy news indeed!"  

Name the musical that this quote comes from!  No prize if you do, just bragging rights! ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 01:25:55 AM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2005, 04:47:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have an early meeting on the recording project that sends me out of the house soon.  Right now I'm listening to Mr Gordon Lightfoot sing his beautiful  "Song for a Winter's Night."  Quite moving.

It's about time Mr Haines did another solo album.  Having been present at the recording debut of the rather reclusive artist, I watch his recording news with great anticipation.   Dear Friend BK, when Mr Haines lets us know what he's definitely doing, it might prompt some ideas for a few more songs.

Today's topic is the screenplay, so I won't include films I love like NASHVILLE and M*A*S*H since I believe their screenplays were only places to commence.

My first thought was DOUBLE INDEMNITY, but I believe that's Billy Wilder, and he's high on my list:  THE APARTMENT, SOME LIKE IT HOT, NINOTCHKA, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION are all quite wonderful.

I would agree with DRPanni about BREAKING AWAY, and I would add Dennis Potter's DREAMCHILD, a film I feel has yet to be discovered.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2005, 05:08:17 AM »

Screenplays:

Network & The Hospital by Paddy Chayefsky

The Usual Suspects

Ingmar Bergman's film whose name escapes me at the moment where Death plays chess with Max Von Sydow.

Akira Kurasowa's Rashamon

John Guare's Six Degrees of Separation (But on the 1st viewing I was too aware of all the cleaver dialogue)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2005, 05:11:49 AM »

Song for Guy Haines:

If it is going to be a thematic recording

how about "Circles" from Stages by Bruce Kimmel?

If it isn't:

Once in a Lifetime

Never stop dreaming.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2005, 05:13:24 AM »

What a wonderful news dear BK!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2005, 05:14:45 AM »

Song for Guy Haines:

how about "Circles" from Stages by Bruce Kimmel?

One of my favorite Kimmel songs!  I was thinking about the song after my post. DRMichael Shayne.  Thanks for bringing it up.  Did you get youe PennyO ticket yet?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2005, 05:21:01 AM »

DR DAN(the man):Pops…Phil Spector (Motown) Sound is one of my favorites and  I’m a fan of Elton John since in 1972 when I saw/listened his concert for the first time in my life.  And  I’d often listened to Joe Jackson in the ‘80s. Oh, yes. I quite agree with you, the 80s was the grorious days of the pop music scene.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2005, 05:33:01 AM »

DR VIXMON: I suppose “ZATOICHI” is the one that you asked. If so, you’ll be able to find many many DVDs on amazon. If not, feel free to tell me, I’ll rethink.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2005, 05:34:31 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/arts/television/27bust.html?oref=login&th

Education secretary Margaret Spellings has me riled today.  

Ben

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2005, 05:36:48 AM »

Don't get me started on that. Postcards from Buster is a great show and no one would be harmed by viewing that episode. I have lost respect for PBS for their cave to the radical right. Of course, they deny that's the reason but it's bullroar as far as I'm concerned. At least WGBH will distribute the episode to stations that want to broadcast it. I can only hope WNET in NY will take them up on the offer.

One of the most annoying things about this is PBS, in essence, won't take feedback. You can no longer send regular snail mail to PBS. They don't "open unsolicited mail due to security concerns" So what, they throw away hundreds or thousands of pieces of mail because they didn't ask for the letters? At the Web site, after you slog through page after page to finally find a link to send something electronically, you find you're limited to 500 characters. So they know now they can pull crap like this and while there may be heat generated by some groups they don't have to deal with letters or e-mails complaining about their decisions. What a bunch of jerks!

Can you tell this makes me angry ;-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 05:52:20 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2005, 05:47:55 AM »

Forgot to mention birthday wishes to Music Guy! They will get through to him if a certain DR Kerry logs in today.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2005, 05:52:56 AM »

Some Like It Hot and The Apartment would be at the very top of my list, followed by a number of other screenplays already mentioned. Vertigo and Twelve Angry Men are two more that immediately come to mind.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 05:55:00 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2005, 05:54:16 AM »

'morning!  On the Buster/PBS thing, if it goes the way of a lot of censorship incidences, the Vermont episode might actually be in more demand than if it had just been aired as part of the series.  This often happens when books are challenged - readership goes way up.  Years ago I answered my 'phone and my mother (without even saying hello) said, "Have you read Fear of Flying?"  When I said, "No," she said, "DON'T!"  I immediately went out and bought a copy.  

And when we had the Mapplethorpe brouhaha at the Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati, the opening drew a record crowd and subscriptions to CAC were at an all time high.

Also, I've observed that many children are much more mature than their parents when exposed to ideas.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 05:58:57 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2005, 05:56:04 AM »

Congratulations to Guy Haines on his recording plans.  For Jane, maybe he should include "Soon It's Gonna Rain."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2005, 05:58:09 AM »

DR DAN(the man):Pops…Phil Spector (Motown) Sound is one of my favorites and  I’m a fan of Elton John since in 1972 when I saw/listened his concert for the first time in my life.  And  I’d often listened to Joe Jackson in the ‘80s. Oh, yes. I quite agree with you, the 80s was the grorious days of the pop music scene.

And the videos!  It's funny to think that we looked forward to the video of a song as much as the song itself.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2005, 06:09:50 AM »

And the videos!  It's funny to think that we looked forward to the video of a song as much as the song itself.  

Indeed!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2005, 06:11:32 AM »

And about the new Guy Haines CD:  "Ah, sir, happy news indeed!"  

Name the musical that this quote comes from!  No prize if you do, just bragging rights! ;D

"Sweeney Todd"
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2005, 06:14:25 AM »

And "The Usual Suspects"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2005, 06:16:58 AM »

BK, is there a theme involved in Guy's new album?  

I wouldn't mind hearing "You Took Advantage Of Me".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2005, 06:19:35 AM »

DR VIXMON: I suppose “ZATOICHI” is the one that you asked. If so, you’ll be able to find many many DVDs on amazon. If not, feel free to tell me, I’ll rethink.

Thank you DR Hisaka!  I didn't know the name I will try and find it because the DH would love some of these as a suprise gift.   :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2005, 06:20:20 AM »

DR bk, please do give Mr. Haines my congratulations.  I very much look forward to hearinghis new CD

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2005, 06:20:24 AM »

Has anyone mentioned All About Eve or Sunset Boulevard as favorite screenplays yet?

I also love John Patrick Shanley's Moonstruck.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2005, 06:21:41 AM »

RE PennyO's  show...WFO & our respective others are in C 1-4  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up