Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT  (Read 3144 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
« on: June 28, 2018, 12:57:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were long and a journey, and now it is time for you to post until the long and journeying cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:58:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: OSTENSIBLE!

Laura

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:59 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:13 AM »

I gave up a couple hours ago trying to sleep.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:50:56 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 04:54:54 AM »

Sending thoughts and prayers for JRand and his family.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:28 AM »

I think the first play I saw was The Divine Sarah starring Denise Pelletier. I was taken to the final performance (a Sunday matinee) I was mesmerized by the one person play about Sarah Bernhardt. It was a fantastic performance. But sadly Madame Pelletier would die a few days later during open heart surgery. She was very ill but one would never know that watching her perform.

There may have been plays before but this is the one I remember.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 05:09:20 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »

The cats let me sleep in till 7:15.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »

Good morning, all!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 05:22:12 AM »

I think the first professional play I saw was at Actors Theater of Louisville. It was a Halloween production of Dracula, and it wasn’t very good, but I enjoyed it. I was into Dark Shadows in those days, so anything vampire was good to me.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:09 AM »

I think the first play I saw was a church production of My Sweet Charlie. I don’t remember much beyond the title.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:03 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 06:01:03 AM »

I'll have to say my first play ever was OUR TOWN or PYGMALION (whichever came first) at my high school. It's actually hard to imagine seeing either of those, or anything else, and thinking, "This is my first play!" But I'm not dredging up anything that's likely to have been earlier.

First professional play was probably LUV on tour at the Coconut Grove Playhouse in Miami. At least that seems to be the earliest program I have. It's dated August 1965 and starred Tom Bosley, Dorothy Loudon, Herbert Edelman, and was staged by Jack Sydow. I was a late starter, as we lived in Fort Lauderdale and it was a haul getting to any theater prior to the construction of the Parker Playhouse right there in town.

First play on Broadway was SLEUTH, early summer of 1971, starring Anthony Quayle, Keith Baxter, Philip Farrar, Harold K. Newman, and Roger Purnell. ;)  Clifford Williams directed.

Side note:  It's likely that the Columbia recording of LUV was my first play on record. What I don't recall is which came first, seeing it or listening to it. I just know I took to it from the start. The other early recording I thrilled to was VIRGINIA WOOLF, but that was done surreptitiously at the library. I didn't think I dared buy that one and play it in the house!

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 06:13:27 AM »

The thing I dislike the most, or commiserate with the most, in BK's report about the play?

The curtain.

Now there's a question. What was the first play or musical you attended that didn't use a curtain?

I wouldn't have any idea. I just know I deplore the practice. It's such a damned thrill now to walk into a theater, professional or non-, and see it in use.

John G.

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 06:32:33 AM »

The curtain talk is interesting to me because Actors Thester, my home away from home as a teen, more often than not avoided use of a curtain. Neither did the Shakespeare in the Park productions or the dinner theater in the round that we frequented. So my first few dozen plays were without, so I don’t mind it at all.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 06:37:02 AM »

I cannot remember from this time distance if my first play was a community theatre production of Blithe Spirit, which I saw with DR Ginny's husband Richard, or a high school production of The Diary of Anne Frank, which I saw with my brother Macbeth, while I was a junior high school student.

First national tour in Cincinnati was either The Sound of Music or Camelot.  I wish I still had the playbills to tell me which was first.

First Broadway show was 1966, The Man of La Mancha, original cast, which was still playing in Washington Square before moving uptown to Broadway.

First opera was Die Fledermaus at the Cincinnati Opera while they still performed in an open air theatre inside the Cincinnati Zoo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:38:42 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 06:42:47 AM »

Ah, the Zoo Opera. I was only there a couple of times, but I loved that it existed and I do wish I'd been around Cincinnati more in those years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:57:12 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »

My first opera was probably FAUST, in Fort Lauderdale's War Memorial Auditorium, conducted by Emerson Buckley.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 06:49:45 AM »

I'm certain about Buckley because he conducted the local symphony orchestra and most everything that came through, but I wish I had a program to see who else was involved.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »

My thoughts are with DR Jrand today and his family. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »

Ditto!

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today I'm going to get serious about getting ready to leave Sunday for a week in NYC.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »

Mine are, too...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »

TOD - My first play, I think, was Rumplestilzken (sp?) performed by a children's theatre troupe that toured around the Detroit Public Schools.

First touring Broadway show was THE MUSIC MAN, with Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon at the Riviera Theatre in Detroit.  That theatre was replaced by the Fisher Theatre and my first show there was THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, starring Karen Morrow and Harve Presnell.

In keeping with BK's topic of plays, at the Fisher while I was in high school, we saw HADRIAN VII, THE LITTLE FOXES, A DELICATE BALANCE.  My favorite play experiences were at Wayne State University's Hilberry Theatre:  SAINT JOAN, THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH, THE TEMPEST, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM.

First Broadway show on Broadway was CABARET, original cast, in the summer of 1967.

John G.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »

First tour was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers with Jane Powell and Howard Keel.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »

I don’t remember my first opera but I think it may have been Hansel und Gretel.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »

My first opera was COSI FAN TUTTE at The University of Michigan.  My friend Karen was in the cast.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »

Ditto!

And here are some more.

John G.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »

Let’s move on.
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up