Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LITTLE THIEVES  (Read 5561 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: LITTLE THIEVES
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »

DR elmore I am very sorry Val won't be there to watch out for you anymore.  Super vibes your next super is also a good guy.

ditto.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Tomorrow at this time, I should be in Beverly Hills.   Yes, I'm going to the Richard Sherman celebration!

Lucky you!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »

My news:
I've been considering options regarding my involuntary vacancy from my apartment. I was SHOCKED to learn what hotel prices are now. $200/night is about average and many of these have poor reviews (ripped or stained sheets, lots of noise, bad smells). Ugh! There's a small hotel not far from me that looks like a real dump driving by. It's $144/night--and the bath is down the hall. No private bathrooms. For $144/night!! I would have thought it'd be $80.

The more I think about this the more I feel that this is outrageous. The owner has not even given me the dates yet, so booking anything is impossible. When I pointed out that I do not have a vacation home the manager was indifferent. I've been a landlord myself and I can't imagine putting my tenants in that position.

I'm still evaluating my options. Whichever way I go it is a BIG inconvenience for me. Plus, I simply feel it isn't right. I rented this place in good faith. The poor maintenance wasn't my doing. The owner's known about the problems and dragged her feet because she didn't want to pay the bills. Now she expects me to bear the brunt of her incompetence. This isn't over.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »

Has anyone else noticed how much bad news there's been lately? Not exactly a Mercury retrograde, but something like it. Ugh!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

TTFN.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »

Tomorrow at this time, I should be in Beverly Hills.   Yes, I'm going to the Richard Sherman celebration!

Have a great time, Kevin!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »

Thanks, George and Jeanne!

FJL

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if that should have been two posts.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »

The Duck Boat tragedy really made me flash back on when I took the Duck tour in Pittsburgh.  The disappointment on the vehicle was very strong when it was clear the condition of the water strongly suggested the on-the-water part of the ride should be skipped that afternoon.  For me and my friend, we were enjoying the sights of the city (much nicer than we'd expected), so we didn't mind missing the water part if it was a question - but for so many, the water part was why they chose the Duck Tour over a different sightseeing tour.  The business pressure of passenger disappointment could have been a factor in the tragic decision, but that's only from what I felt from having been on a similar ride in another city.  :(

There are Duck Boat tours in Seattle and three years ago, one had an axle break while on a bridge and five people died.

I remembered something had happened and there was a discussion how safe these boats really are.

If I remember correctly, a lot of the Duck vehicles that were in Seattle (at the time) were old vintage vehicles and probably weren't maintained as well as they should've been. :-\

I don't think I'll be taking a Duck Tour anytime soon.

I know we won't.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »

Wonderful.  Where will you be staying?

Jane

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »

DR Jeanne we had dinner with friends tonight and I asked about your situation.  They own rentals in Washington and do not think you should have to pay to rent a place while they do the work. 

First they mentioned you should have the right to see their rental insurance agreement to know if it covers you.

Do you have rental insurance that might cover the situation?

I have a friend in California who owns apartments.  Would you like me to ask him about California laws?

Jane

« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »

Jeanne, how long is the work supposed to take?  Does the owner have an apartment elsewhere that you can live in while they do the work?

Are you sure you have to move out?  What about free rent while you live there and supervise your belongings?

ChasSmith

« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »

Has anyone else noticed how much bad news there's been lately? Not exactly a Mercury retrograde, but something like it. Ugh!

YES.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »

Keith, the lover of Twinkies simply had to try this ice cream when he spied it in the store.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »

I had one bite  :P

Jane

« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »

Keith had two bites  :P :P

Jane

« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

This morning he did something extremely rare for him, he trashed it.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »

You have been warned ;)

Jane

« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

DR Vixmom how did your day go?

FJL

« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »

Thanks for the Twinkie Ice Cream warning, Jane!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2018, 07:16:43 PM »

DR Jeanne we had dinner with friends tonight and I asked about your situation.  They own rentals in Washington and do not think you should have to pay to rent a place while they do the work. 

First they mentioned you should have the right to see their rental insurance agreement to know if it covers you.

Do you have rental insurance that might cover the situation?

I have a friend in California who owns apartments.  Would you like me to ask him about California laws?

Jane, thanks for asking your friends about this. I will make my reply several posts.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »

Interesting point about the owner's insurance. I hadn't thought about that.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »

I do have renter's insurance. I took it out last December when I was dealing with this issue. Unfortunately, it wouldn't cover even half the cost of a hotel. I'll be talking to my insurance company to learn more. Insurance policies tend to have lots of gotchas.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »

Last December the owner said that we didn't need to take out the damaged plaster, that the handyman could put up a piece of plywood. It wouldn't look nice, but it would secure the ceiling and I wouldn't have to move out. That solves the problem for me and that's how we'd left it--until Wed when her daughter decided otherwise.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2018, 07:25:58 PM »

Yes, I would have to move out. Plaster dust is very fine and goes EVERYWHERE. The handyman assured me that he'd put plastic down everywhere, but that isn't enough. My allergies are severe; I go right off the scale. I'm allergic, among other things, to dust and the chemicals in paint and primers. Even if I didn't have allergies, I would have no access to my kitchen for at least three days, plus the painters need to come and go. I could not do my stretching, my meditation, or have any peace and quiet to work on the computer or anything else.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »

Three days is the handyman's estimate, but there are often delays and complications. Three days is best case; it could easily take longer, depending on what he finds (mold, a leak, etc). Also, the paint has to cure. Nontoxic paints, which they say they'll use, cure quickly, so maybe only another day. As long as the smell is there I'm susceptible.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »

I feel it's unreasonable to ask tenants to live in the units while it's being repaired, depending of course on what's going on. I use my kitchen daily. I don't cook a lot, but I make a blender breakfast drink and heat up other foods. I would also lose access to my kitchen table, my file cabinet, and all my other files. The painters would need about 60% of the apartment.

George

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2018, 07:38:18 PM »

Oh, my goodness!! :-\

~~~Super Coping Vibes for Jeanne!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »

And now, I need to leave work and return an item that I bought for a prop for Legally Blonde.  I got something else that works better, so I don't need these.  They were only $5 and change, but I'm not paying for them. ;)

Be back later.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »

This morning he did something extremely rare for him, he trashed it.

The photo of the container made me want to trash it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up