Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UNWIELDY  (Read 18513 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:UNWIELDY
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2005, 12:50:56 AM »

Well, I really must toddle off to the bedroom environment, for I must get up in the morning, coif myself and go to a rather large get-together in a rather small restaurant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2005, 12:51:14 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page two.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2005, 12:52:27 AM »

I notice you are still out of hospital OzDerek. Did you find an antidote?

cough!  cough!  splutter!  splutter!

having an unwieldly reaction!!!!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Tomovoz

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2005, 12:52:45 AM »

Maybe just to OzDerek corn.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2005, 01:03:21 AM »

Maybe just to OzDerek corn.

.. well tomovoz, you can now buy my dvd ... did i tell you i was a corn star???!!!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Tomovoz

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2005, 01:04:11 AM »

MBarnum - listened to Japanese girls at last with 60's songs/  quite fun.
Eventually I get around to things. Love their version of Petite Fleur.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 11:51:35 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2005, 01:14:05 AM »

I must sleep now.  Good night all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2005, 01:18:40 AM »

MBarnum - listened to the Japanese girls at last with 60's songs/  quite fun.
Eventually I get around to things. Love their version of Petitie Fleur.

Glad you enjoyed them. THE PEANUTS, Yumi and Emi Ito...I wonder if DR Hisaka is familiar with them?

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2005, 01:19:51 AM »

I have know idea why I am up at 1:20 am, so I am going to bed. Night!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2005, 02:34:53 AM »

They yell:And the crowd has to yell:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Oi-Oi-Oi!!![/size][/move]

It's actually quite fun...when you're there at the arena. ;D

In Japan there’s a chain store called “oi”(pronounced Marui) and their advertisement looks like the flickering line "oi-oi-oi". It’s very similar! Unfotunately I couldn't find anything to show you to prove it right now...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2005, 03:34:42 AM »

Glad you enjoyed them. THE PEANUTS, Yumi and Emi Ito...I wonder if DR Hisaka is familiar with them?

The Peanuts! I was a big fan of them when I was child. Yes, Petite Fleur was/is one of my favorites and also Koi No Fuga and Jonetsu No Hana (I have no idea how to say in English them). They sang also American pops like Be my Baby. I really like them, the duo having perfectly perfect harmony. Very sorry that they retired so early, as they no longer had a passion for singing.
I found this from Yahoo!Auctions.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2005, 03:43:06 AM »

What a lovely picture of Spur, DR Pogue! He(She?) is pretty as a model!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2005, 06:11:59 AM »

CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD - for some reason I thought this film was in b/w but it was in COLOR.  It was one of those films that is set in 1944 (in an Alabama medical camp) in which all of the ladies wear 1960's hair styles.  

Bobby Darin plays a nice role, Dick Sargent, James Gregory, Ann Doran, Angie Dickinson, Jane Withers, Ted Bessell, and Gregory Walcott (muzzled by Army Brass) are all in it.  My problem is that it becomes one of those mental hospital as fraternity house movies where the Italian patient and the Jewish patient get everyone together to do a Christmas show.  Robert Duvall and Bethel Leslie play a married couple with serious problems and Eddie Albert is around as well.  NOT the best movie in the world, but okay for some of the performances.  

THE PEANUTS!!!

DR DANISE - even by mail you should have your refund in about 17 days.  You can go to the site at www.irs.gov and then click on WHERE IS MY REFUND....it will ask you for your SS# and the amount of your refund and then tell you when it is scheduled to be mailed to you.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2005, 06:15:24 AM »

Topics....hmmmmmmmmm....in honor of Project Runway.  Let's talk about costumes.  What are your favorite "costume" movies and costume in said movie....and/or what is your favorite costume you have worn in a play or other type show....do you have a picture?

I will start just by mentioning Dirk Bogarde's version of A TALE OF TWO CITIES - he always looks so great.  I am sad it was not shot in color.  And of course GONE WITH THE WIND - Scarlet's red dress.  And another b/w movie THE HEIRESS with great dresses for deHavilland and wonderful suits for Montgomery Clift and Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2005, 06:37:36 AM »

Corned Beef - (Can't remember what you call it in the USA) . potatoes, beans and carrots.  Followed by yoghurt and bananas. Now chamomile tea.
Corned beef is called corned beef here in the USA.  Not very imaginative, but it works.  It's usually made from the beef brisket.

My mother introduced me to this cut early in life, in the form of the "New England Boiled Dinner."  This was a corned beef brisket, boiled in a large pot.  To this she would add carrots, potatoes, and cabbage wedges.  The veggies would be brought to the table in a large bowl, and the brisket would be ready for carving.  It was marvelous with fresh country bread and mustard.

Der Brucer also loves this meal, and loves the brisket for later, when he makes sandwiches.

For some reason, it's considered a traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner.  This is peculiar, since the Irish in Ireland have never heard of it, aside from being told about it by their American cousins.

Best of health vibes to DP Colin!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2005, 06:51:32 AM »

Why, here in the US we call corned beef corned beef, although I have never found any corn in my corned beef is all these years of eating it.
Here we have the word "corn" going back to an earlier definition.  Corn used to refer to "a small, hard particle," and came to mean grain, which is why the most common grain in America, maize, came to be called corn.  But the word corn also referred to anything that was granular, such as salt.

"Corned," of course, is a verb, which indicates that something granular has been applied to the beef.  That granular stuff was salt, either applied directly to the brisket or through brining.  Salt is an excellent preservative, along with giving flavor, but is often too intense without being soaked or washed off.  Hence, salted cod is soaked both to rehydrate the fish and to cut down the saltiness; so, too, is a country ham first soaked and then scrubbed before cooking.  And that is why corned beef is usually boiled before serving.

(And you all thought I was going to come up with something corny, didn't you!   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2005, 07:04:19 AM »

One of my favorite scenes in a costume drama was in the Branagh version of Much Ado About Nothing, where Branagh and the rest of returning soldiers washed up before entering the villa.  (Although Denzel was noticably missing during this sequence; I guess his character was supposed to be so high up in the nobility that his pits never sweated.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2005, 07:50:17 AM »

I think I remember that scene....oh yes, I do.

I will also say I liked the costumes in Branagh's HENRY V.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2005, 07:50:33 AM »

Good vibes to DP Colin.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2005, 07:52:19 AM »

Well, we got the ice they were predicting, and the roads were like glass (an ALL ABOUT EVE reference) this morning. I'll be inside all day. I think I could handle the driving, but I don't trust others in this slippery weather.

First DVD up to bat today: KING SOLOMON'S MINES with Deborah Kerr.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2005, 07:54:54 AM »

DR Jrand, don't you mean Sir Ralph Richardson in THE HEIRESS? One of my all-time favorites, missing on DVD naturally. Montgomery Clift has never looked more beautiful or dashing.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »

Favorite costume films. I think Donald Brooks' 126 outfits for Julie Andrews in STAR! are unmatched.

Love the red dress and the white gown for Bette Davis in JEZEBEL.

The ball sequence in TO CATCH A THIEF is really astonishing to look at, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2005, 08:01:09 AM »

Forgot to mention that after talking about the stereo laserdisc of DEEP IN MY HEART yesterday, I sat down and watched the first hour of the laserdisc. The sound really is wonderfully enveloping.

Then, I put in the DVD of GUYS AND DOLLS which I just bought used. (I had the remastered laserdisc prior to this). The DVD isn't anamorphic, but I still enjoyed watching some of the numbers (didn't watch the dialogue sections, just jumped to the musical scenes.)

If someone is looking for a musical to re-do for TV, this is the one.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2005, 08:02:45 AM »

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM wouldn't be a bad choice for a re-do either.

What movie musicals of famous Broadway shows would other DRs like to see redone?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 08:03:19 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2005, 08:11:58 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, it looks pretty outside...

I woke up this morning, and looked outside and saw a nice covering of snow on the ground and trees.  Very pretty.  However, since I have a matinee at 2:00, and we're supposed to have my Dad's birthday lunch at Noon...  I'm just want to make sure I leave enough to head into DC, but I also don't want to miss my the birthday lunch.  -My mom is already giving me a little bit of attitude about the slight possibility of me missing it.

:-/

In any case...

I need to get ready to head in...

Laters...

-Oh, and since we're due for some more snow this afternoon and evening - just a few more inches - it doesn't look like I'll be heading back to Richmond (again) tonight.  I guess I'll try in the morning.  -And Richmond is due for some more snow too tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2005, 08:15:54 AM »

Good morning, all!  This morning it's housecleaning.  I have a book meeting at 1:00, guests tomorrow afternoon, and the place is a dump, I tell you, a dump,

I will try to have some dinner with DRPenyO this evening, and I've got to make a dent on DARLING OF THE DAY as well.  I've also lost my copy of the libretto, which I hope will turn up in the tidying.  

Dear Friend BK, I haven't seen the film but you might enjoy the French comedy THE CLOSET with Daniel Auteuil.  I first remember seeing Auteuil in THE ELEGANT CRIMINAL, which was about a thief from 1830s Paris, Lacenaire, who also appears in the great film CHILDREN OF PARADISE as the murder of Garance's lover, the Baron or Count, don't remember.

Costume design:  Zefferelli's ROMEO AND JULIET (Donati?), THE KING AND I (excellent work by the usually overrated Irene Sharaf), GONE WITH THE WIND, Tony Richardson's TOM JONES for the best 18th Century design.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 08:17:02 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2005, 08:25:58 AM »

DRMATTH of course Ralph Richardson in THE HEIRESS....whew!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2005, 08:26:55 AM »

I liked Sharaff's ballet costumes for AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and quite frankly, am feeling very unwieldy this morning.  I really must try and feel wieldy at some point.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2005, 08:50:34 AM »

I favorite costume design of all-time is Daisy Mae in Li'l Abner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up