Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A FIT OF PIQUE  (Read 27003 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A FIT OF PIQUE
« on: January 30, 2005, 11:58:33 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've snacked on the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the piqued cows come home for a snack.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:59:15 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A FIT OF PIQUE
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 11:59:44 PM »

And because we didn't have much time for it yesterday - today's word is:

RHUMBA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:19:27 AM »

I see this is WUSSBURGER night at haineshisway.com.  Nobody here but us chickens and us chickens are going to RHUMBA all by ourselves.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 12:21:09 AM »

Happy birthday DR Michael Shayne.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 12:56:40 AM »

Well, I suppose I'll just toddle off to bed and hope that there are some denizens around these here parts in the morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 12:57:40 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  At least our GUESTS aren't WUSSBURGERS of the 4th Kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 12:58:06 AM »

I see an Iris, but we all know Iris does not post very much.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »

My, what an appropriate TOD, as I sit here like so much fish munching on chips (doritos) and salsa. Other favorite snack foods are popcorn, pretzels, just about anything covered in chocolate, and unique treats from Trader Joe's. Am currently addicted to their chile/lime pistachios and wasabi peas. Yes, indeed, wasabi peas.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 01:04:57 AM »

Nothing like doing the rhumba whilst munching on wasabi peas.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 01:07:44 AM »

Pique a little, talk a little.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 01:13:45 AM »

Why can't the English teach their children how to pique?

Frenzy over now. Good night.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 01:38:42 AM »

I like cashews, almonds, and don't dare put peanuts in the shell in front of me because I'll eat them till they're gone.

I also like tater chips , I love them kettle chips...good and greasy and salty, but I usually stick to an olean variety of Pringles or Wows. Wows used to have more variety and did Doritos too, but I don't see them around much any more.  Do they make them anymore?

I'm also fond of pretzels.  Adore Wheat Thins and Triscuits.  Popcorn I will also eat...though as I get older and the gaps between my teeth widen, popcorn gets to be a less attractive option, as I'm always sucking kernel or husk out of my teeth...of course, this is true of almost any crispy crunchy.  I constantly have one of those flosser picks in my mouth.

Sugary:  Every once in a while I have got to have a twinkie or a ding-dong, usually if I'm in the neighbourhood of a 7-11.  

The Lovely Wife and I love those doughy apple fritters you get at the donut shop...though they'll put you in a sugar coma right fast.  We also like Buttermilk donuts.  

I love McVitties digestive biscuits and Hobnobs, which mostly have to be bought in a British shop somewhere.  (Another British treat is McCoy's Grilled Steak Flavoured Crisps...potato chips to you...which also have to be bought at the import shop).

Candy bars:  M& M Peanuts, 3 Musketeers, Mars Bar, Red Licorice, and Snickers.  Also a Yorkie Chocolate Bar( import shop again).

Naturally, I try to curtail my eating of much of this lethal stuff...and often just opt for a piece of Trader Joe's low-fat Jarlsberg Swiss cheese which is very good.  They also have these new low-carb soy chips which are great and they just came out with them in B-B-Q flavour.  I also will resort to peanut butter crackers when all else fails.  Now that White Castles come frozen, they can be awfully fun to stock.

But we try not to keep too many of any of these temptations around the house...because we know we will wolf them down.

I love buying one of those big plump hot dogs from the street vendors with the little carts.  A dog with a little brown mustard, relish, and onion...I'm a sucker for.

Great now I'm hungry!  Ah!  We have a little bag of candies called coconut mushrooms in the fridge that I discovered in the freezer this evening. There mushrooms made of chocolate and marshmallow with coconut sprinkled on them.  They came from Marks and Spencer's in London.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 01:39:40 AM »

All Alone In The World...

Jed

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 03:41:12 AM »

I unexpectedly fell asleep at about 8:30 last night.  I then woke up at 1:00 am.  Here I am, rather awake, at 3:42.  And I want potato salad.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 04:04:48 AM »

Hmmm, Marathon Man is just starting on Bravo.  Perhaps I'll watch this until I drift back off to sleep.

...and I still want potato salad.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ben

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 04:41:57 AM »

Happy Birthday to Mr. Shayne!

It will be a birthday heavy week here at HHW.

We had a delicious dinner last night, broiled salmon, steamed veggies and wild rice and for dessert some of Elmore's delicious candy. Yes, we still have some, we are parceling it out slowly since it's so good. We can't overdo.

Even though I rarely eat them anymore, I love tortilla chips and now that we have blue corn variety, those are my favorites. I will search my brain and come up with other examples later. Now, back to work.

Oh, before I go. I mentioned earlier in the month that I got a bonus. Well, today, on our internal Web site for employees, they listed the staff members who did not take any sick days. I knew that I was on the list but they listed the little prize we get for being such good little bees. I get one floating holiday, to be used at my discretion and I get a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card! Hoo and Ray. Now, I'm really going back to work.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 04:42:25 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 05:26:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've just listened to Ben Brantley's review on WQXR for LITTLE WOMEN; not good.  He considered a kind of 1860s version of the American Girl Doll.

I'm thinking about snacks:  Doritos, nacho and cool ranch

I'm thinking about today's schedule:  
   10:30 am meeting about 1903 photos of BABES IN TOYLAND
    Is the afternoon meeting on or off?
    The cleaning didn't turn up the DARLING OF THE DAY libretto so that's
       another thing to deal with!

I'm thinking the lack of confirmation and my need of a housekeeper make me want to go back to sleep.

My book meeting went well yesterday, although we got sidetracked by such fascinating minutiae as the 1903 Chicago Iroquois Theatre fire, theatrical-themed novels from the end of the 19th Century, and the General Slocum disaster in 1904.  

Eddie Foy Sr. was a survivor of the Iroquois Theatre fire, and I have no memory of this event's occurring in the Bob Hope film.  Does anyone remember it?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 05:42:12 AM »

Well, I just ordered THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS on DVD to find out!

DRBen, I cannot believe the Godivas lasted so long!  You and Baxter have better willpower than I!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 05:45:14 AM »

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!!!ENYAHS LEAHCIM .RM YADHTRIB YPPAH[/move]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:46:05 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy
Birthday
Michael
Shayne
[/move]

That's one way to get a rise out of you!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:48:40 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 06:01:57 AM »

The word of the day got my curiosity going.  

First, I found out that it is properly spelled RUMBA, without the H.  (And you all probably thought it was just the Cockneys of England that dropped their H's!)  Personally, I happen to like having that H in there: without it, a Rhodes scholar would be riding on a different road entirely, and in the past tense at that.

From there, it was time to learn some of the history of the dance.  For example, and I quote:

The native Rumba folk dance is essentially a sex pantomime danced extremely fast with exaggerated hip movements and with a sensually aggressive attitude on the part of the man and a defensive attitude on the part of the woman. The music is played with a staccato beat in keeping with the vigorous expressive movements of the dancers. Accompanying instruments include the maracas, the claves, the marimbola, and the drums.

Further on, the article notes that:

In 1935, George Raft played the part of a suave dancer in the movie Rumba, a rather superficial musical in which the hero finally won the heiress (Carol Lombard) through the mutual love of dancing.

Since I have never considered George Raft to be very sexy, I'll leave the Rumba-ing (or Rhumba-ing) to our BK, who would doubtless be more suave but was far too young for the role at the time.  Hollywood's loss, if you ask me.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 06:50:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday DR M. Shayne!![/move]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 06:50:31 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 06:54:04 AM »

I have nearly finished  Benjamin Kritzer, I am quite enjoying it.  Benjamin's travels have renminded me of the vast amount of freedom I had as a child, a freedom that the Vixter does not enjoy because "The Bad Men" are all too prevalant these days...sad

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 06:57:03 AM »

Last night, DR Jose wrote:

"DR MattH - I may have missed it over the past few days...

Did you and your friend ever get the cable issue figured out with the new home theatre set-up?

I did check with my brother, and he said it was a matter of going into all the various menus for all the various equipment, and making sure all the inputs/outputs were activated."

Thank you, dear Jose, for caring enough to remember this. I have told my friend that he first needs to read EVERY manual to make sure everything is how it needs to be. I hooked up all the cables, but I was NOT going to read all those manuals for equipment that wasn't mine.

I also wrote Toshiba to ask what the problem might be, and they said to make sure the cable system he uses actually has a signal passing through that port. Again, I left that with my friend to inquire.

Thanks for your checking about this.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 06:59:43 AM »

DR Jane, if all goes well you should be receiving a package today or tomorrow.  Unfortunately I completely forgot dear DR Jose's advice to get a "delivery confirmation " in order to help speed delivery, until I was brushing my teeth last night.  

Why the brushing of teeth seems to engender memory recovery is beyond me, but it never fails...

The way my little grey cells are deserting me in times of need  lately, I have considered walking about with a toothbrush in my mouth at all times....

Too bad I am not rich and famous, I could safely walk about with said toothbrush and be thought charming and eccentric..Unfortunately with my lack and fame and $$$ I would just be thought to be a weirdo!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 07:01:04 AM »

The word of the day got my curiosity going.  

First, I found out that it is properly spelled RUMBA, without the H.  (And you all probably thought it was just the Cockneys of England that dropped their H's!)  Personally, I happen to like having that H in there: without it, a Rhodes scholar would be riding on a different road entirely, and in the past tense at that.

It should be noted that the "h" in "Rhumba" is an American invention.  Here is the reason for it:

http://www.picadillo.com/picadillo/figueroa/articlemain.html

The Brits and Americans have anglicized or changed the spelling of many "foreign" words for one reason or another.  This is one the Americans adapted from the "Cuban" lingo.

Both spellings are acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 07:03:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 07:07:22 AM »

Snooky Lanson
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:15:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 07:13:21 AM »

Who would name their baby Snooky?
--Wayland Flowers

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 07:21:02 AM »

Who would name their baby Snooky?

Well we considered it for the Vixter but decided it really was too masculine..... :D

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 07:36:52 AM »

Yes... and a character in Writer's Block, upon learing that a couple had named their daughter Mary, may well have replied, "But Mary is a boy's name."
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up