Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BE DETERMINED  (Read 40430 times)

Ben

Re:TO BE DETERMINED
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »

And on that note, on this natal day for two DRs, or one DR and one DJ (as it were), let us move to Page 2, sans dance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 06:35:22 AM by Ben »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 06:43:21 AM »

Speaking of Mrs. Kritzer..oh, dear bk,  I cried at the end of Benjamin Kritzer and then I had to go back and reread the last few chapters again because I was so sad the book was ending.

The whole boardwalk storyline made me think of the closing of the Massapequa Zoo, where my Daddy used to bring me every Sunday afternoon until they razed it to put in a shopping center

and the stables where I learned to ride, until they razed it and built a church

and the duck farm where we got ducks and duck eggs
until they razed it and built a cul de sac

and the potato farms where we got all our fresh veggies

and the farms where we picked our own strawberries in the spring and pumpkins in the fall

and the fish and clams  and crabs were so plentiful . we would just pop out in the boat for a couple of hours and have dinner

the neighborhood I grew up in was full of farms and open spaces.  We are raising the Vixter in the self same town and it is nothing but strip malls and cul de sacs...
and the waters are full of noisy speedboats   and  those stupid noisy water motorcycle things....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 06:50:23 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 06:53:06 AM »

Now I want more!  More Benjamin Kritzer! And I am sitting here with book 1 and book 3 and KRITZERLAND not yet been delivered!!!!  Damn them!! Damn them all to hell!!!

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 06:58:17 AM »

Hey there DR SWW how are the grandlads? I was thinking about how you were exposing them to music, have you considered playing them any musicals ?  Also Victoria at the age of 5 or 6 became very fond of a CD called "Mr. Beethoven Lives Upstairs", which is a story told by a little boy whose Mother has rented her upstairs room to Beethoven, interspersed with passagesof the music he is working on. It was a wonderful introduction to the classics and she would listen to it when she went to sleep at night.

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 07:01:22 AM »

Dear DR Danise

I was wondering if this would be of interest to you , I just received this offer by email:

NO SERVICE FEES!* ALL SHOWS!
PLUS SAVE $25 ON WEEKNIGHTS!
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG
The most FANTASMAGORICAL stage musical in the history of everything!  

Sensational sets, stunning special effects, an irresistible story, and that unforgettable Sherman Brothers score add up to London's most popular musical treat. Now, it's about to take flight here, with a spectacular cast of Broadway talent: Tony Award® nominee RAÚL ESPARZA, ERIN DILLY, Tony winner PHILIP BOSCO,Tony nominee MARC KUDISCH, JAN MAXWELL, CHIP ZIEN and ROBERT SELLA.

SPECIAL OFFER
ORDER BY MARCH 26 AND PAY NO SERVICE FEES!*
ALL PERFORMANCES!
SAVE $25 MORE ON WEEKNIGHTS!
ONLY $75 TUES.-THURS. AT 7, FRI. AT 8

HOW TO ORDER: Go to ticketmaster.com or call (212) 307-4100 and use code: "HOT," print out this offer and bring to the Hilton Theatre box office (opens Monday, Feb. 14, 2005), or send this offer with a check payable to Hilton Theatre, 213 West 42nd St., New York, NY 10036, Attn: Box Office. Include preferred dates, and self- addressed stamped envelope.

*Regular convenience charges ($7.90 per ticket) and processing charge ($3 per order) will be waived on all orders; $1.25 facility charge has been included in the price of each ticket. (On internet orders only, the $3 processing fee will be charged at time of purchase and credited within 7 days.) TicketFast home printing and delivery services other than standard mail will be charged at their usual rates. $25 discount applicable to Tues.-Fri. evenings only. Offers valid only on top-price tickets (orchestra/front mezzanine). Offer subject to availability and prior sale.Not valid on previously purchased tickets and may not be combined with any other offers. All sales final; no refunds or exchanges. Limit 8 tickets per order. Offer may be revoked at any time. Expires 3/26/05.

Valid on performances March 27-July 3 - Hilton Theatre 213 W. 42nd St.

ChittyTheMusical.com

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 07:02:49 AM by vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 07:02:01 AM »

The grandlads are doing fine.  Der Brucer is still recovering from his fall; he detests any ache or pain that comes his way, and loves putting all the work on my shoulders.  By way of contrast, he's a terrible nurse, with zero bedside manner, which gives me plenty of incentive to stay well.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2005, 07:06:13 AM »

The grandlads are doing fine.  Der Brucer is still recovering from his fall; he detests any ache or pain that comes his way, and loves putting all the work on my shoulders.  By way of contrast, he's a terrible nurse, with zero bedside manner, which gives me plenty of incentive to stay well.   :-\

So you are determined to stay well then?

i am sorry that DerBrucer is still feeling bruised

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~Healing Vibes~~~~~~~~~[/move]to der Brucer

and as the spouse of a bad patient (and worse nurse!)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~Patience Vibes~~~~~~~[/move]
to you!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 07:06:23 AM »

Interesting word, determine.  The second half of the word, termine, comes from the latin terminus, a boundry or limit.  The prefix, de-, means the opposite or reverse of something.  This being the case, I would have concluded that determine would mean the opposite of limits, or the reverse of a boundry.  In other words, it should mean limitless, boundless.  Instead, it means pinpointing those limits and boundries.

Ain't words peculiar??!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2005, 07:09:36 AM »

Well I have frenzied enough for the moment (no wonder I achieved "goddem" within an hour and a half of joining!!)

I am determined to make a determined effort and determine what all these papers are in my in box!!!

TTFN (as Tigger would say, despite Walt's express instructions!!)  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 07:09:38 AM »

As for onerous, the word can be split thusly: one - rous.  I've found that there was an American pathologist named Francis Peyton Rous, who was awarded (with C.B. Huggins) the 1966 Nobel prize for physiology or medicine for discovery of tumor-inducing viruses.

An onerous discovery, indeed!

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2005, 07:11:55 AM »

As for onerous, the word can be split thusly: one - rous.  

I wonder what two rous would be called?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2005, 07:15:16 AM »

Being a SoCal native, I never saw a lightning bug, or firefly, when I was growing up.  Sure, they have them in the Bayou Cafe section of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, but those things are eletrical, and not the same thing.

The reason that I never saw one while I was growing up, and that I only discovered their joy-giving qualities last summer, is because lightnig bugs, or fireflies, are found in "areas of moderate temperatures and most tropical regions."  Southern California, being a desert, lacks the moisture that these wonders require.

The only solutions, I suppose, are to either leave Southern California for damper climes or to go to Disneyland.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2005, 07:17:43 AM »

Two-rous two-rous rous-la
Two-rous two-rous-lai
It's a rousing lullabye!

;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2005, 07:56:39 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Kerry and Donald F!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2005, 07:58:26 AM »

Apart from the Broadway scores of SOndheim, Kander and Ebb, Marvin Hamlisch, and Stephen Schwartz, my favorite songs of the 1970s:

"The Way We Were"

"Weekend in New England"

"Last Dance"

"Time and Love"

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2005, 08:02:58 AM »

Add to those:

"New York, New York"

""Isn't It Better?"

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2005, 08:03:30 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR KERRY!

and

Happy Birthday, DR DONALD!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2005, 08:04:55 AM »

There's a two hour documentary on Irving Thalberg coming on TCM tonight. I'll probably record the midnight repeat telecast.

I suspect it'll be part of the Garbo boxed set coming later this year, but better record it now just in case TCM decides to sit on it for later release.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2005, 08:05:03 AM »

My favorete songs from the 70s:

All songs by Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack
You’re So Vain by Carlie Simon

Glad you like Good Bye Yellow Brick Road, too, dear BK.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2005, 08:17:46 AM »

Two-rous two-rous-lai
It's a rousing lullabye!

;)

;D

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2005, 08:34:57 AM »

Catching fireflies is one of the summer night memories that the Vixter will be able to share with me, no body here has yet figured out how to breed them to flash little advertisements....though I won't be suprised when it does happen!!

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2005, 08:39:20 AM »

Firefly or Lightning Bug
Photinus pyralis More Printouts

The Pyralis firefly (also known as the lightning bug) is a common firefly in North America. This partly nocturnal, luminescent beetle is the most common firefly in the USA.
The Firefly's Glow: At night, the very end (the last abdominal segment) of the firefly glows a bright yellow-green color. The firefly can control this glowing effect. The brightness of a single firefly is 1/40 of a candle. Fireflies use their glow to attract other fireflies. Males flash about every five seconds; females flash about every two seconds. This firefly is harvested by the biochemical industry for the organic compunds luciferin (which is the chemical the firefly uses for its bioluminescence).

Anatomy: This flying insect is about 0.75 inch (2 cm) long. It is mostly black, with two red spots on the head cover; the wing covers and head covers are lined in yellow. Like all insects, it has a hard exoskeleton, six jointed legs, two antennae, compound eyes, and a body divided into three parts (the head, thorax, and abdomen).

Diet: Both the adults and the larvae are carnivores (meat-eaters). They eat other insects (including other fireflies), insect larvae, and snails.

Classification: Order Coleoptera, Family Lampyridae, Genus Photinus, Species P. pyralis.

I didn't know they ate snails...I shall have to try and encourage these little fellas to congregate at my home , the snails keep eating all my Hostas and petunias!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 08:40:19 AM by vixmom »

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2005, 08:43:56 AM »

Happy Birthday DDJ Donald!

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2005, 08:52:36 AM »

More Lost Childhood due to moronic "educators"

Schools ban playground classics amid injury and self-esteem fears
Monday, November 18, 2002 • BY JERRY BARCA • Star-Ledger Staff
At 9, David Meltzer is something of an outlaw. He wants to participate in illicit behavior specifically banned at Millington School in Long Hill, where he attends fourth grade.
He likes to play tag.
"It shouldn't be banned. You're just running and tagging," he said simply, as if explaining it to, well, a fourth-grader. "You can play it with all your friends."
Without any boundaries, kids playing tag were darting through hopscotch and basketball games, bumping into other students and ending up in the nurse's office, Millington Principal Karen Wetherell said.
In an age of rising insurance premiums and increased angst over physical and psychological trauma, seemingly innocent playground classics are coming under increased scrutiny. Millington, in Morris County, is not the first New Jersey school to ban tag, and dodge ball is an absolute pariah in some circles.
Still, some experts and parents wonder aloud whether something is being lost in the rush to protect children.
"We live in a society that makes kids so safe, ultimately, we'll put them in a cocoon," said Charles T. Kuntzleman, a University of Michigan professor of kinesiology, the study of exercise and body movement.
At Millington, where pupils attend second through fifth grades, the ban on tag was part of a code of conduct children signed at the beginning of the school year. Pupils at the K-1 Gillette School, the only other Long Hill school with recess, are similarly banned from playing tag, but nothing has been put in writing.
"The idea of loosely running around and chasing each other is not safe," Long Hill Superintendent Arthur DiBenedetto said.
In 1999, Tuscan Elementary School in Maplewood ended tag games, fearing a lawsuit because children were getting hurt when they fell on the asphalt, Principal Pat Browne said.
At Gould Elementary School in North Caldwell and Ross Street Elementary School in Woodbridge, tag games escalated into knockdown, pile-on and pushing clinics, school officials said. In the past few years, both schools have banned the game in favor of organized recess activities.
Then there is the brouhaha over bombardment.
Neil Williams, chairman of the physical education department at Eastern Connecticut State University, touched that one off a few years ago when he crusaded against the game, also known as dodge ball.
Educators followed Williams' lead and the game has been banned in schools in New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Maryland, Maine, Ohio and Texas. The knock was that some students get singled out as targets, and the game fails to provide enough exercise.
Mary Beth Klotz, a psychologist with the National Association of School Psychologists, said tag can produce some of the same problems.
"There's potential for some victimization," Klotz said. "Tag may look okay socially, but it can be a double standard because kids can use it to bully a certain student."
Kuntzleman, the University of Michigan professor, said such concerns can be overblown. He said that children can be singled out in any game.
"That's life," he said.
In Millington, children do play a form of tag -- but unlike the playground free-for-all remembered by parents of a different generation, this tamer event is played indoors with plenty of supervision. The rules vary, but sometimes a teacher decrees that a child can only be tagged once during the game or teams are chosen.
Experts say that misses the point.
Judy Young, executive director of the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, said it is important for kids to have time for creative, unorganized play.
Kuntzleman said there are important social lessons to be learned, such as conflict resolution and respecting a fellow student's personal boundaries.
"You don't just learn these things when you're 21. It starts much younger," he said.
Susan Orshan, whose 9-year-old son, David, attends the Millington School, said she remembers many a rough game of tag as a little girl. She said that no matter how many times she was "it" or got pushed or scratched or fell, she shrugged it off.
"There's almost nothing kids can play where they can't slip and fall or get hurt," she said.

http://www.pburgea.org/_Articles/02-03/A11/PlaygroundGames.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Barca is a reporter in the Morris County bureau. He may be reached at jbarca@starledger.com or (973) 539-7910.
Copyright 2002 The Star-Ledger. Used by NJ.com with permission.

Return to Articles page
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 08:54:11 AM by vixmom »

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »

I saw and mostly enjoyed MEDIUM last night, except I wish the writers would stop thinking that every episode must include her having a self righteous  diatribe. "Oh, I cannot tell a lie,  twas I saw the ghostie"

I also was annoyed that they had her acting like such a B**** about her husband working late a couple of nights when in the past three episodes she kept wandering in from work after everyone was in bed and it was quite clear SHE hadn't called " Oh, I lost track of time while fondling the jury questionaires"

I WANT to like this character, I want to like this show, so I hope the writing settles down a bit..

I really enjoyed last night's episode as well.

Interestingly, I saw the realy Alison DuBois on one of the entertainment shows last night.  She was saying how her real life daughters also have special abilities (like we saw on the show last week).  AND that every episode has real stuff that has happened to her.

I'd be curious to know how closely the plot lines follow what really happened.  Anyone know?

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2005, 09:06:18 AM »

Can you imagine needing these when WE were kids? (Not that such a thing as Videos existed back then!)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 09:06:36 AM by vixmom »

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2005, 09:07:01 AM »

Question for DRs:

A friend of mine has a watch that was appraised at around $3000+.  I know there is no way he could get back anywhere near that.  But where could he sell it?  The only things I can think of are ebay or a pawn shop.

Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »

I really enjoyed last night's episode as well.

Interestingly, I saw the realy Alison DuBois on one of the entertainment shows last night.  She was saying how her real life daughters also have special abilities (like we saw on the show last week).  AND that every episode has real stuff that has happened to her.

I'd be curious to know how closely the plot lines follow what really happened.  Anyone know?

I did not know that this was based on a real person!! Interesting....

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2005, 09:10:10 AM »

Happy Birthday DRs Kerry and Donald!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »

Summer nights in Oklahoma were often spent "catching lightening bugs".  Ask Mommy for a jar and punch air holes in the lid (just like you do to catch a caterpillar and watch it spin a cacoon).  You catch the lightening bug very carefully between your two hands, so as not to harm it, and then the trick is to slip it into the jar and clamp the lid back on without letting the other lightening bugs out.

Whoever got the most bugs in his jar had a pretty flashing lamp to hold up in the summer night.  Until it was time to go in, and then you let all them out to flash another night.  You didn't even have to stuff the jar with leaves for them to eat like you did with the caterpillars.

And all this wasn't called learning.  It was just fun.

As to tropical climates, der B, I recall seeing the air full of fireflies on a summer night in Connecticut, where I was attending an Esperanto Conference.  A trilingual Canadian lad of ten (French, Croatian, Esperanto) told me they were "lummushoj" (light flies), and I taught him the standard Esperanto word lampiro.

And, DerBrucer, onerous comes of course from onus, onera, (3rd declension neuter), meaning "burden".

Please do not leave us minus
Our vicarious bonus.
We want to see His Highness
Married to Your Lowness.
On you, Cinderella sits the onus.
So when you name the happy day,
Please phone us.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up