Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LET'S GET METAPHYSICAL  (Read 3032 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: LET'S GET METAPHYSICAL
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 06:49:46 AM »

After listening to the West Side Story soundtrack a few times, I put on the WSS OBC.....there's more urgency to the singing there....it seems...

The greatest example of uncommitted soundtracks? Compare Patti Lupone's intense performance to clueless actress Madonna's autocorrect bore of Evita.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »

Page 2 Dance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 06:51:28 AM »

Fascinating that WEST SIDE STORY had first been EAST SIDE STORY. Really!  Jews and Italians.  And that's how classics sometimes happen.

Look at Abie's Irish Rose!

FJL

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »

"When Jerome Robbins and Arthur Laurents set out to adapt Romeo and Juliet into a Broadway musical, their first thought was not about warring gangs. Initially, Robbins planned to write “East Side Story,” a musical about a clash between Catholics and Jews in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. It wasn’t until 1955 that Laurents and Robbins got the
idea for West Side Story from a newspaper article about gang violence in New York."

at https://www.westonplayhouse.org/uploads/West%20Side%20Story%20Show%20Notes.pdf
under Concept History

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 06:53:38 AM »

Big congrats to TCB! And I appreciated BK’s summary description of Shelley Berman. I hadn’t been all that familiar with him, myself, back then, but BK’s is indeed the impression I’ve always had. I do have a couple of the LPs, and will make it a point to enjoy myself a little Shelley Berman evening one of these nights.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 06:54:59 AM »

After listening to the West Side Story soundtrack a few times, I put on the WSS OBC.....there's more urgency to the singing there....it seems...

The greatest example of uncommitted soundtracks? Compare Patti Lupone's intense performance to clueless actress Madonna's autocorrect bore of Evita.

OMG, yes. I’ve never known what anyone sees in that movie or its soundtrack.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 06:57:18 AM »

Big vibes for vixmom in that job situation. I don’t understand this owner’s concept of the running of that office — at all.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 07:02:25 AM »

Big congrats to TCB! And I appreciated BK’s summary description of Shelley Berman. I hadn’t been all that familiar with him, myself, back then, but BK’s is indeed the impression I’ve always had. I do have a couple of the LPs, and will make it a point to enjoy myself a little Shelley Berman evening one of these nights.

It's been fascinating to listen to his comedy.  He did so much acting that I was aware of over the years, and I'd thought he just used stand-up to get the acting career.  The way, for example, Richard Belzer was first a stand-up comedian but once TV acting started he never really went back. 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 07:04:07 AM »

Yesterday, as I worked on How to Succeed . . ., Annabelle insisted on helping me.  She lay on the score paper, rolled around, climbed all over my work table, played with a large box of  paperclips, played with my red pencil, climbed all over me, and doubled my work time.  Then, when I left my chair, she would lie in it until I returned.

One of the joys of a cat 💖

Jane

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »

Dealing with things vibes for DR VIXMOM.....it seems the conditions at your workplace are impossible....how can anyone be expected to work like that? 

Sadly many workplaces are like this or worse.

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »

Today I’m going up to the Abbey to see their closing performance of SHE LOVES ME which will be fun. Sadly, it is of course the same horrid 1990s revival version I’ve played, but I’ll enjoy hearing how they execute it because they attract a pretty good band up there. And since it’s their closing, I stand a decent chance of seeing Mother Dolores Hart or a couple of the other supremely interesting and lovely sisters I know enough to chat with.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 07:06:40 AM »

Yes, ANNIE was moved indoors, and the small “invited” audience (they can seat about 50 in this room) had a great time watching it up close and personal with no sets or lighting - just costumes, makeup, and probably most of the props - and hearing the band from the next room, all with no miking or amplification. We had fun playing it there, and frankly, it was just great to be indoors and having no concern whatsoever about the elements.

It is a relief you had fun instead of stress due to the weather.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »

I never really noticed LL Cool J's top 40 work until he became an actor, then I started looking back at the earlier  music.  Tracey Ullman, too - I thought she was a singer in the quirky style of "They Don't Know" and then there she was the comedienne that the UK had always known before she hit the Top 40. 

FJL

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »

And of course, the amazing career of BK; younger people who know him as a (Grammy-nommed) producer of theater music, and also writer.  But they don't know there was a time (in the days Dinah Shore roamed the earth) that TV fans knew him for acting. 

Jane

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »

I have loads to do before we leave.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 07:08:10 AM »

Good Vibes to all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »

Big vibes for vixmom in that job situation. I don’t understand this owner’s concept of the running of that office — at all.

Bingo!

FJL

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »

Good Vibes to all!

Vibes to you, too!

Anything further on coming too NYC to see WAITRESS?

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »

Then I have to get back for this evening’s start of another set of (wait for it) auditions for that show concerning a couple of amphibians. I do like the music and am leaning toward saying yes to MD’ing it. The beauty of it is that this time I don’t have to play the damned auditions.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »

I've been working on an Annabelle & Thatch story.  My neighbors Mark and Judy thought it was real, and they rang my bell this morning to ask me if I'd found my lost kittens and if they could help.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »

... I don’t understand this owner’s concept of the running of that office — at all.

Bingo!

It's so confusing.  Unless I missed something, is this the second time when someone at an experienced level has left, his strategy was to replace the person with a relative newbie? 

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »

Not that I don’t enjoy playing auditions. I do, now and then, and it’s inspiring to hear people like former DR Jose who is obviously highly skilled at it talk about it on, you know, that other site.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »

I've been working on an Annabelle & Thatch story.  My neighbors Mark and Judy thought it was real, and they rang my bell this morning to ask me if I'd found my lost kittens and if they could help.

Your writing is amazingly convincing, DR Elmore. I get how a few people were actually alarmed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »

Your writing is amazingly convincing, DR Elmore. I get how a few people were actually alarmed.

Thanks!

Jane

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 08:15:10 AM »

Good Vibes to all!

Vibes to you, too!

Anything further on coming too NYC to see WAITRESS?

Nothing.  I am wondering if it will happen.  We never expected to plan a trip until after we return from our Iceland/Arctic trip.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »

Funny but sweet.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »

Larry, is there a link to the story (or did I miss the link?)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »

I didn't post a link. The first two parts are on Facebook.  I'll polish the story up when I finish it on Facebook, then put it on my blog.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:59:31 AM by elmore3003 »

FJL

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

I didn't post a link. The first two parts are on Facebook.  I'll polish the story up when I finish it on Facebook, then put it on my blog.

Is your blog private?  I tried google but can't find it.  If it's not private, could you post the link to it?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »

Is your blog private?  I tried google but can't find it.  If it's not private, could you post the link to it?

Check your email.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up