Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEEPING BEAUTY  (Read 27257 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:SLEEPING BEAUTY
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2003, 09:45:47 PM »

I read Brantley, too, and thought it condescendingly bitchy of him to imply that one could love Menzel's performance only IF one is a fan of soft rock music stations...because the point is, the audience adores Idina and he didn't want to indicate he didn't "notice" that they hold a different opinion and that it is she who is the heart and soul of the show.

I love Kristin, too, and she's wonderful.  The part is wonderful.  But it only works with Idina's character being who she is.

It's silly of me, I know, but I think I could have helped fix a few things....lord knows, I posted enough comments on enough web sites to suggest ways of making some needed changes.  Apparently, all the changes they did make were something other than the things that so obviously needed attention when it played here.

Oddly, Brantley praised the sets, the costumes, the lighting, Kristin, Idina, Butz and Federer, plus the director.

He wasn't fond of the score, and he didn't feel Elphaba was realized fully enough to hold her own with Glinda.

I think it depends on how you approach it...and whether you're obsessively distracted by bright shiny baubles.  Brantley apparently is.

But I love it anyway.  And if audiences latch onto it, the sky's the limit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 10:44:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2003, 09:51:19 PM »

After I saw the workshop of Wicked, I was asked by Mr. Schwartz to give him notes.  I did as requested - I still have them somewhere.  He seemed very pleased with them and agreed with virtually all of them, or so he said.  When I read the comments and reviews of the show in SF it didn't sound like they'd done anything to address the problems (and believe me the problems were fairly obvious).  It does sound like they've strengthened Elphaba on the way to NY, so that's good.  But reading the current reviews it still sounds like there are tone problems that were in evidence from that early workshop.  It's all very interesting.

Looks like we're going to have our second slowest day on the new board, although I am not bitching about 150 posts.  I am BITCH-SLAPPING but not bitching.

Angela

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2003, 10:14:27 PM »

Here's a post, BK.  Are you happy now?  

Oh no, looks like I'm in one of those feisty moods again.....
Where ever you go, there you are.........

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2003, 10:49:18 PM »

Here's something else I find odd:

Brantley's remarks indicate he enjoyed the show immensely about 90% of the time, since Kristin is on stage that much.

I know what he can do!  He can...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Kiss My ASS[/move]

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2003, 10:52:54 PM »

"The Faculty" was on the Sci-Fi channel tonight.  I watched about 10 minutes of it but had to leave and go shopping for a potluck that we're having at work tomorrow.  I had no idea that Jon Stewart was in the movie.  Actually, the only person that I did know was in the movie was Elijah Woods.  I liked what I watched...the scene where Elijah brings the thing to Jon Stewart and they put it in the water and it replicates itself and then bites Jon's fingers.  I'm not going to watch the rest of it now (it started at 9:00 and goes until 11:00), but I like what I saw and want to watch the whole thing without any cuts or commercials.

Also, right now (at the same time) on the USA network is "Carrie."  It's funny that both movies have Piper Laurie and they're on at the same time.  Just a coinky-dink.  (Is that how you spell "coinky-dink"?  Does anyone know if there is an official spelling?)

Update:  I'm a goon.  I didn't realize that the movie "Carrie" that's on the USA network is the made for TV re-make without Piper Laurie.  Ooops (that's Spooo spelled backwards.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 11:19:46 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2003, 11:00:47 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]This is a test of the emergency marquee system.[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]This is only a test.[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Pretty cool, huh?[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D  :D  ;D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :o[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Getting dizzy??[/move]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 11:01:45 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2003, 11:34:14 PM »

I don't remember where I got this (it may have been posted here last year), but it's pretty funny:

Make Love to a Ghost

A visiting professor at the University of Alabama is giving a seminar on the supernatural. To get a feel for his audience, he asks: "How many people here believe in ghosts?" About 90 students raise their hands.

"Well that's a good start. Out of those of you who believe in ghosts, do any of you think you've ever seen a ghost?" About 40 students raise their hands.

"That's really good. I'm really glad you take this seriously. Has anyone here ever talked to a ghost?" 15 students raise their hands.

"That's a great response. Has anyone here ever touched a ghost?" 3 students raise their hands.

"That's fantastic. But let me ask you one question further... Have any of you ever made love to a ghost?"

One student in the back raises his hand. The professor is astonished. He takes off glasses, takes a step back, and says, "Son, all the years I've been giving this lecture, no one has ever claimed to have slept with a ghost. You've got to come up here and tell us about your experience."

The redneck student (remember, this is Alabama) replies with a nod and begins to make his way up to the podium.

The professor says, "Well, tell us what it's like to have sex with a Ghost."

The student replies, "Ghost?!? I thought you said 'goats.'"

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2003, 11:36:18 PM »

Maybe I should move to Washington State. This is  a good time for me to be on line and it usually you guys (and TCB). I so "Wicked" gets an audience. Selfishly of course - I want it to be there still when I may visit NY this time next year. For those who care, I hope to have a photo of the Jose OZ visit posted soon.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up