Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 27852 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2005, 12:27:42 PM »

George, so what color is Ebonie?  ;D Yes I have had cats perch on my shoulder.  

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this as well.....

I was charmed by this story, DR George, and wanted to share the following:

DC (Dear Canine, in HHW-speak) Morgan likes to gaze out the window whilst sitting in a certain chair in our den.  It is navy blue and has a large pillow that sits against the back of the chair.  When no other resident of the house, it is fine; she sits, paws over the arm and just gazes. Or she curls up an naps.  However, when someone else IS in the chair, she continues to go about her business.

She clambers up, adjusts herself to laying half on the pillow/half on the person's shoulders, and gazes.  Or, she will curl her neck around, and rest her terrifically fuzzy face and chin on the occupant's shoulder and chest.  It is a wonderful feeling, and just one of those feelings of unconditional love that a dog can express to its human.  (Sometimes she will stand and turn, or similarly re-adjust herself.)

Now, this would all be fine if Morgan were a dachsund, or toy poodle, or maybe even a shiu-tzu.

Morgan is a lab/shepherd mix, and weighs roughly 65 pounds.  But she still thinks she's a puppy!  And we LOVE her!  :)

Ben

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2005, 12:27:53 PM »

JRand, you're so sharp. I'm glad you're on top of things. I guess it's too much birthday celebration ;-)

"Or page four even."

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »

And on to Page 5, I suppose.....

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2005, 12:47:44 PM »

For Ask BK Day -

Do you listen to any radio stations today?  If so, what format(s)?

I listen to NPR , when in Nassau County (the western part of the Island)I listen to the NYC channel and whenin Suffolk County (the Eastern part, where I live) I listen to one that comes out of Conneticut
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2005, 01:15:42 PM »

.  I like the mint humbugs with the toffee center.  
by humbugs. ;D

Have you ever tried these?
http://www.tobbp.com/search.asp?searchtype=category&Category=Sweets

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2005, 01:18:54 PM »

DR MattH:  Make Devil's Food cupcakes...that way, you can put different icings on them....dark chocolate, light chocolate, sour cream, etc.

Great suggestion, but I don't have any cupcake tins. Amazing to be as old as I and never have made cupcakes in my life. But it's certainly something I should get for myself AND SOON!

Thanks for the suggestion.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »

I've got two answers for the costume question. As for as the best fitting costumes I've ever had, they were for THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I played Max Detweiler, and the costume designer was my best friend Jeff. He found three period suits for me, and altered them to fit me precisely. (He also personally fitted the tux I had to wear in the "So Long, Farewell" sequence, and it too fit like a dream.) It was like I had been poured into these clothes, and they're the best fit I've ever had of any costumes ever on stage.

The costume I had the most fun wearing was as Senex in FORUM. After Senex comes out from his bath in the second act, the costume designer put me into a polka-dot toga that absolutely had the audience on the floor for every performance. I would have to pause every night waiting for the laughter to die down before I could go on with my lines.

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »

Good vibes to DR Elmore ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!

DR Danise, your story made me laugh.  At least you made a lot of people here smile.  I remember once my sister had the same problem.  She came in the house after trying to start the car for a long time.  For some reason I knew to play with the steering wheel.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2005, 01:30:31 PM »

Well, I'm back from my photo meeting, which went well, but I did have an obstacle thrown in my path today which has depressed me greatly.  Last year, during WHERE'S CHARLEY?, I had the impression I was offered THE BOY FRIEND, directed by Julie Andrews, at Goodspeed.  My friend Dan DeLange, a wonderful orchestrator who scored CALL ME MADAM and many others for them, told me he's been offered it.  He's in, I'm out, and now I have no work lined up for the summer.  I will survive.  But I'm very pissed off right now.

I am so very sorry to read this, DR Elmore. But maybe something even better will come your way. Things always happen for a reason.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 01:34:09 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »

I think people who can't think of a question should have to Limbo five times in a row and then eat a Spam sandwich.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2005, 01:35:09 PM »

I received 0 count them 0 packages today.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »

I don't ever turn the radio on either. My cable company has a bunch of all music channels of every possible genre that I will use if I want background music

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2005, 01:39:41 PM »

All that brouhaha about the MGM DVDs  reminded me today how disappointed I am that they're once again releasing a film in 1.66:1 letterboixed but not enhanced for widescreen TVs, in this case NEW YORK, NEW YORK next week.

If they should be sued for anything, it's that ridiculous notion that 1.66:1 films aren't deserving of anamorphic enhancement!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2005, 01:45:42 PM »

Oh I would like to have a Spam sandwich, on white Wonder Bread, with Velveeta Cheese, and Hellman's mayo.  Yes, my favorite kidtime lunch.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2005, 01:46:09 PM »

DR MATTH the thought of your polka dot toga makes ME laugh, and I didn't even see it!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »

Marion Gibson, of course, invented the Gibson, which proved to be a most popular cocktail.  That was all the proof she needed.
A-HA!  A true Gibson girl!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »

Here is one of my favorite costumes from SHOWBOAT.  I played Frank, in case you can't see it - the collar, the pocket flaps, and the piping on the jacket all match the trousers.  ;D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v222/PutnamPlayhouse/Showboat%201990/?action=view&current=Varmints.jpg

Jed

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »

My favorite costume...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2005, 01:54:39 PM »

My favorite costume...

I'd have put money on those purple tights.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jed

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »

My least favorite costume moment would have to have been for a production of My Fair Lady.  The costumes didn't look bad or anything, but due to a frenzied costume change there were a couple scenes in which I had to wear my cockney quartet garb (including a somewhat heavy sweater, vest, scarf, etc.) over the top of my full servants chorus tuxedo.  Add on a particularly muggy summer at this outdoor theater... good times, I tell ya!

Jed

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »

I'd have put money on those purple tights.

Well, as long as you don't put money IN those purple tights...  ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »

Oh, and I just read in the Post - the hard copy - that the local public radio station, WETA, is considering going too an all news format.  That is definitely not good news to me.  I know it's all economics, but...

In Norfolk, there are two public radio stations - they are sister stations.  One station is primarily a classical music station, while the other one is primarily news during the day, and jazz during the evening hours.  I just find it interesting that WETA which is based in DC Metro area, a more affluent area than Norfolk, cannot seem to muster the same amount of community support as it's Norfolk counterpart.  Or even it's Richmond counterpart.

And, yes, I am a member.  Although...

The most distressing part of the news is that the format change could happen as soon as the end of this month.  Some "important meeting" is supposed to take place next week, and then what will happen will happen.

There is a commercial classical music station in DC, WGMS, but since it's "commercial" it's playlist is usually restricted to the "standards".  I think they cycle through the Beethoven symphonies every three weeks or so.  I dunno.

???

You could listen to KUSC on-line, you know.  You sure seemed to enjoy that station during your stay in Tinseltown last summer.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2005, 02:03:16 PM »

DR Danise

I meant to write  about your Ford issue.  I ahd the same thing happen to me with my Ford Taurus after I had had it for five years or so and I was rescued by a fellow Taurus owner who happened to be in the in the parking lot.

"I have always relied on the kindness of strangers"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2005, 02:04:55 PM »

DR Elmore, my flabber is totally gasted.   :-\  

Vibes for better things happening soon:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »

Nice bugle.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2005, 02:14:21 PM »

I wish I had a pic of that polka-dot toga. I don't even have a video of the production. There was a badly done, grainy video made by one of the parents of the actor playing Hero, but I saw it at a party, and you could hardly see or hear anything, so I never inquired about getting a copy of it.

Jed

« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2005, 02:15:49 PM »

Nice bugle.

If I had a nickel for everytime...  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2005, 02:16:18 PM »

I must say I've just had a good laugh.  I was perusing the message  board for my high school class on classmates.com.  Now, classmates has been a source of many sales of the Kritzer books, and the reaction to them from those folks has been amazing.  Until the last two - two people I recently saw at that reunion.  They both didn't like the books at all - one, a guy, because it wasn't reflective of the way HE grew up and the neighborhood from HIS point of view, and the other, a gal, because she thought there wasn't any believable character development, and that the relationship between Benjamin and his mother, while amusing at first, grew tiresome and unrealistic.  She, too, wished it had been more reflective of how SHE had grown up.  Isn't that funny?  What did they think - I was going to write a book and be GENERAL?  Did they think I'd write a book about my growing up and that I should make it so it should include things about everyone else's childhood, too, just so they can feel part of it?  

And they both said the same thing at the end: Nice try.   Thankfully, negative comments about the Kritzer books are almost non-existent - in fact, these are the first I've ever seen, and these posts were written within days of each other.  While I would never have a problem with people not liking a book, the reasons in these posts seem rather silly to me.  BUT, as I always say - that's what makes horse racing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2005, 02:22:05 PM »

Yummers!

Tonight, Alton Brown prepares Coc au Vin on Good Eats!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »

If I had a nickel for everytime...  ;)
...you were complimented on your "horn 'o plenty"?

8)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up