Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: READER'S DIGEST  (Read 3438 times)

Laura

Re: READER'S DIGEST
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »

Today is my son's 49th birthday.

This year, he's giving me a present.

He's moving to Austin at the end of next month.

Nice present.

My present for this year is on order; he should arrive in about two weeks.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

I actually stopped caring about TV Guide itself back when the world of TV was becoming the world of cable. It seemed like overnight it was different, with out of control listings that appeared less helpful, way too many dumb articles, and suddenly it was ridiculously expensive. Depending on where I was living, I sometimes found the Sunday paper TV listings more useful and easier to navigate.

Which is why they changed to the larger size.  I stayed with them until after the change and did not renew my subscription.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:29 AM »

Nice present.

I am very excited for you.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »

Back from the dentist, where all was - fortunately - well.

I had one back tooth that needed scaling because it had been so hard for me to reach and take care of. Fortunately, I'd just recently taught myself how to get back there the right way after all these years, and she could already see a difference. She numbed me and got it done in ten minutes.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »

The "Little By Little" CD arrived today. Have to see what that sounds like.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »

Nice present.

I am very excited for you.

I got a whooping cough shot last month and a flu shot yesterday. I am ready.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »

HA!

Residual checks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »

Last night's rehearsal was L O N G....we wore our costumes.  I put one of my chausables on backwards....and no one noticed....wait until they see the front side tonight....it's even nicer!  It was dark back there, and I have recruited Sister Mary Theresa to help me....

I got a few notes which were nice....and I shall improve my performance tonight.

The BIG thing last night was that we had the orchestra....which sounded great.  The exciting thing was that the musical director fired one of the trumpet players during intermission.....he was trying to sight read the score and it just wasn't working....  Of course, he was a student, so there was no real "firing" but it was exciting to see him be told to pack his instrument and never darken the door of pit again....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »

TOD:

Life Magazine

I bought TV Guide on the newsstand because when it came in the mail, the cover was usually crumpled up....and the address label always covered up some of the best parts of the picture or writing....

Our grandparents subscribed to Reader's Digest and Saturday Evening Post and Look....so about twice a year we would get a treasure trove of reading material.

Later on I did subscribe to Rolling Stone, Esquire, Playbill, TheatreWeek, Scarlet Street and a couple of others.

I have NO current magazine subscriptions...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »

I think tomorrow I am taking a step in the right direction.....more later....

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »

Good afternoon, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Busy morning of meetings, before a busy afternoon of meetings.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »

TOD:

Mom used to get a German magazine and The Lutheran Witness.
Dad got the Rural Kentuckian, the magazine he wrote for, and National Geographic, which he never read.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

TOD 2: in high school I started getting The New Yorker, largely for Pauline Kael’s reviews and the cartoons.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »

Great news, DR Druxy.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - seven hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

In the 1970s I was a magazine freak - thanks to those contest things - I got Time, Newsweek, Saturday Review, New York and others.  And I also bought every film magazine - Sight and Sound, Film Comment, Films in Review - stacks and stacks of magazines.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to your son, Druxy!  And congrats on receiving the present of your son's presence!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »

Nice present.

And congrats on your soon-to-arrive present!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »

In the 1970s I was a magazine freak - thanks to those contest things - I got Time, Newsweek, Saturday Review, New York and others.  And I also bought every film magazine - Sight and Sound, Film Comment, Films in Review - stacks and stacks of magazines.

In the early 1970s, I recall that you actually had been in some of those magazines like Tiger Beat or 16 or whatever.  I don't recall ever having the nerve to buy them, but the girls brought them in and some were intuitive and realized some of my friends and I might enjoy the articles.    So they were almost never in our house, IIRC.  I was kind of surprised when there was a "David Cassidy Shirtless" announcement on the cover of one, and it was truthful advertising.

BK - You, as I recall, were always fully clothed when you'd show up and usually in photos with others. 

Also Donny Osmond was never anything remotely suggestive.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »

I do recall "Donny Osmond 5 Times Larger than Life" but it was just a foldout of him from the neck up. 

FJL

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »

Not the TOD, but:  One of the girls at our usual lunch table had brought in the "Pippin" souvenir book, and my friend Keith just could not stop going back to a photo of John Rubinstein.   It was a relatively liberal environment, mostly,  for an orthodox Jewish school.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:30:47 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »

We loved "Cue" magazine, which then got closed into new York Magazine.

The well-known "Cue" theater critic, Marilyn Stasio, was many years later in the BMI Bookwriters workshop.  She seemed like a celebrity for a while, but was so down to earth and nice, that everyone was at ease real soon. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »

What is it with this Keto diet?  I read about it constantly.  It seems to be the new Atkins or South Park  or whatever that was called.  The same people do these trend diets every time and every time they say THIS is the one.  Someone just bragged they lost twelve pounds in two weeks.  So last night I researched it - no carbs.  Really.  All fat.  Really.  Probably gained most of its popularity because of - the Kardashians.  Really.  Side effects - something called Keto flu (headaches, nausea, feeling constipated at the beginning), and Keto breath.  And isn't that funny - I remember all of those side effects the one and only time I tried Atkins.  Also funny?  Experts who really understand this stuff says as soon as you stop you gain all that weight right back.  Hmmmm.  It's funny to watch these trendy things that people absolutely live by and swear by - only to conveniently forget they ever did it a year later when the next one comes along.

Want to know why this diet was created in the 1920s?  To control epilepsy.  But there I was, thinking about trying it, starting today, because I have to lose some weight.  I visited a site that kind of lays out what you have to do, what salad dressings you can do - no bread, no sugar, no fruit.  I can do that, but what I can't do is eat salads with various ingredients seven days a week with oil and vinegar or some foul tasting dressing - I can't eat eggs every day, because I know how that will go. 

George

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2018, 11:43:31 AM »

I kind of looked into the Keto diet, too.  Being diabetic, I need to keep my carb intake low, but that is just TOO extreme for me.  I can have some carbs, just not as much as I used to, and certainly a lot more than what that allows or suggests. :P

George

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »

I do buy a few "keto friendly" products because I like them and they help with keeping my carbs down, but I don't like the idea of how extreme it is.

George

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »

And what a coinkydink!  Literally just now, I got a spam e-mail with this subject line:  Keto diet burns TEN TIMES more fat than a normal Diet. :o

John G.

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »

Larry, did you see the new offerings from Footlite? One is a DVR of the Gentlemen, Be Seated live recording.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »

Ooo!!  I just got a notification that Lethal White, the fourth Cormoran Strike novel by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowing) is available for download from OverDrive!  I'm just about to finish a book, so I'll start this next! :D

John G.

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

When I reread Anna Karenina a couple of years ago, I marveled at the passage in which Vronsky decides that, to keep his figure, he would give up bread, potatoes and vodka. It was 19th Century Keto.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up