Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAYS OF REST, NIGHTS OF REHEARSALS  (Read 5481 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: DAYS OF REST, NIGHTS OF REHEARSALS
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »

83 years ago today Cole Porter's musical with Moss Hart, Jubilee, opened on Broadway.  It was a hit until Mary Boland's drinking problems caused her to leave the show and it folded shortly after Laura Hope Crews replaced her.

The show was performed twice during the 1940s at the St Louis Muny before the materials were lost in shipment from St Louis to Manhattan and it became a lost musical.  In 1985 I was hired to reconstruct and orchestrate the show from the rehearsal manuscripts in the Cole Porter Trust.  Here's the overture from my reconstruction:
https://soundcloud.com/user5614139/jubilee-overture
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:25:17 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »

Page 3 Dance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »

DR JANE he is so out of touch - he didn't know he was related to his boss!  LOL....I am sure he will tell HER all about it.....I would like to be a fly on the wall.....

My prediction - he won't keep the job and will be gone by the first of the year.  She won't be able to stand it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

YES Congrats to DR GEORGE on his role in A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Don't shoot your eye out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »

Hmmmm....lines through words.....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »

DR George, good news about the show!  Congratulations.

Did our DR TCB ever hear anything about his audition?

Thanks, Larry!

And hopefully he'll post something soon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

This morning I have a port flush and then my sister Paula and I are going to the Mooresville Goodwill store....which should be fun.

I had the HEAT on last night for the first time this year....everything seems to be working properly.

This morning, I was in my second floor extra room and noticed that that heater was on.  It's the first time that I noticed that any heater had come on.  I have it set to come on at 55°.  I also realized that my bottom floor heater has not yet come on at all!  What's up with that?  I checked that one and I had actually turned it all the way off!  No wonder it's been so cold up in my third floor bedroom!  I set that thermostat to 60° and will see how it all is.  It's really not worth it to turn the heat up much more because it ALL just goes right up the stairs and out my skylight.  I just want enough heat so that my pipes don't freeze (or my neighbors' again). :P

Frozen pipes is not a good thing.  Do you know about leaving a little dripping water if it get very cold?

Yes, I do know about that.  It hasn't gotten that cold, yet, so I haven't really been worried about it.  It's just that finding the second floor heater on this morning made me think of all that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »

Well, it's been OFFICIALLY announced, so I can now announce that I have been cast as Santa in Broadway Olympia Productions' upcoming production of the musical version of A Christmas Story! :D I'll also be in the Ensemble.

Congratulations :)

Have fun.

Thanks, Jane!

George

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »

YES Congrats to DR GEORGE on his role(s) in A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Don't shoot your eye out.

Thanks, Jrand!  (I adjusted your post to fix the lines.  The brackets mean that it's a code to create the lines. :) )

George

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »

83 years ago today Cole Porter's musical with Moss Hart, Jubilee, opened on Broadway.  It was a hit until Mary Boland's drinking problems caused her to leave the show and it folded shortly after Laura Hope Crews replaced her.

The show was performed twice during the 1940s at the St Louis Muny before the materials were lost in shipment from St Louis to Manhattan and it became a lost musical.  In 1985 I was hired to reconstruct and orchestrate the show from the rehearsal manuscripts in the Cole Porter Trust.  Here's the overture from my reconstruction:

Very enjoyable, Larry!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »

Well, it's been OFFICIALLY announced, so I can now announce that I have been cast as Ed Mitchell in Lakewood Playhouse Theater's upcoming production of YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS! :D I also narrate the show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »

Ed Mitchell was the editor of the New York Sun, but I move about, freely, in time from current day and then back to the end of the nineteenth century, both as Mr. Mitchell.  I must be terribly old!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »

Well, it's been OFFICIALLY announced, so I can now announce that I have been cast as Ed Mitchell in Lakewood Playhouse Theater's upcoming production of YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS! :D I also narrate the show.

Does that look familiar to you, George?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

LASER EYE SURGERY VIBES FOR TCB!

Thank you, Jane.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »

Vibes for DR TCB!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, Jennifer.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »

The information they gave me about the laser treatment, mentioned that I would have mild blurry vision for up to 12 hours.  No, I had major blurry vision.  They probably should have told me to bring someone with me to drive me home.  I should not have been driving.  The only way I knew I didn't run over anyone on the way home is that I turned down the radio and listened for a thump thump
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »

And this was just in my left eye.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »

Very nice, Larry!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »

DR JANE he is so out of touch - he didn't know he was related to his boss!  LOL....I am sure he will tell HER all about it.....I would like to be a fly on the wall.....

My prediction - he won't keep the job and will be gone by the first of the year.  She won't be able to stand it.

If he is smart he won't tell her.  Such a sad situation.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »

This morning I have a port flush and then my sister Paula and I are going to the Mooresville Goodwill store....which should be fun.

I had the HEAT on last night for the first time this year....everything seems to be working properly.

This morning, I was in my second floor extra room and noticed that that heater was on.  It's the first time that I noticed that any heater had come on.  I have it set to come on at 55°.  I also realized that my bottom floor heater has not yet come on at all!  What's up with that?  I checked that one and I had actually turned it all the way off!  No wonder it's been so cold up in my third floor bedroom!  I set that thermostat to 60° and will see how it all is.  It's really not worth it to turn the heat up much more because it ALL just goes right up the stairs and out my skylight.  I just want enough heat so that my pipes don't freeze (or my neighbors' again). :P

Frozen pipes is not a good thing.  Do you know about leaving a little dripping water if it get very cold?

Yes, I do know about that.  It hasn't gotten that cold, yet, so I haven't really been worried about it.  It's just that finding the second floor heater on this morning made me think of all that.

Good thing you thought about it before it got too cold ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2018, 04:52:16 PM »

Had a good meeting and walk-through of the theater with our sound designer - he seems very on top of how we can make this work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »

Went to Gelson's and got a few things, including some mac-and-cheese.  Came home and had that and a bagel.  I needed a break from the matzoh ball soup.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »

Otherwise I'm just listening to music - currently playing more music from Joly Braga Santos - he's like the two faces of Eve - his first period is great, up through the 1950s - tonal, beautiful, and just wonderful music - haven't heard a bum piece yet.  Then sometime in the 60s he has a complete change of style and becomes strident and atonal with nary a trace of his other face.  I find the latter interesting on certain levels, but obviously I prefer his earlier stuff, which is stunning.

FJL

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »

Two DRs in Christmas shows!  Great news.

FJL

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »

Congrats to Santa George!

FJL

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »

Congrats to TCB!  Was this the original track of the role, or did they combine things once they knew they had you?

George

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

Congrats, Tom!! :D

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »

The information they gave me about the laser treatment, mentioned that I would have mild blurry vision for up to 12 hours.  No, I had major blurry vision.  They probably should have told me to bring someone with me to drive me home.  I should not have been driving.  The only way I knew I didn't run over anyone on the way home is that I turned down the radio and listened for a thump thump

OMG!  Is the blurry vision improving? 

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »

Ed Mitchell was the editor of the New York Sun, but I move about, freely, in time from current day and then back to the end of the nineteenth century, both as Mr. Mitchell.  I must be terribly old!

Interesting and Congratulations.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up