Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE THE WIND  (Read 23848 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:LIKE THE WIND
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2005, 03:49:35 AM »

Friday Media Check:

DVD: INTIMATE STRANGERS to be discussed in a moment.

CD:  THE MUSIC MAN Original Broadway Cast Album

VCR:  JULIE with Miss Doris Day soon to be released on DVD, they say.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2005, 03:53:32 AM »

Page Two Dance.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2005, 04:02:53 AM »

One of the joys of HHW is reading about music and movies that I otherwise would not know anything about.  I now own many DVD's and CD's that have been recommended or discussed here.

And to that I add INTIMATE STRANGERS un film de Patrice Laconte.  This is a film with a plot unlike any other film I have ever seen - and I have been watching movies for almost 50 years (!) and I have forgotten few of them.

It was discussed by MR BK in his notes last week, so I am sure all of the DR's here are famliar with the plot, etc.  A woman who has made an appointment with a therapist walks instead into the office of a tax accountant and begins discussing her most intimate problems with him....first briefly....then in a subsequent visit in much more detail.  The accountant ends up consulting the therapist himself - the woman discovers the mistake - but neither one of them wants to discontinue the sessions.  And there you are.

Now if this were an American movie with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves - well....you can just imagine!  

But no, this film has a real director Leconte and two wonderful actors Fabrice Luchini as William the tax man and Sandrine Bonnaire as Anna, the woman.  Other characters include her husband, a man afraid of elevators, William's "ex", his receptionist, and his ex's new boyfriend.

In French with English subtitles, lovely decor and costumes that so subtly reflect the changes in the relationship as to be nearly subliminal. and a very nice score by Pascal Esteve.  

If you want something unusual and a DVD that you will want to watch more than once - I also recommend INTIMATE STRANGERS.  Saying much more will spoil the joy in your discovery - but discovery is around every corner.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 04:12:10 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2005, 04:11:30 AM »

I wrote a LOT about a movie I enjoyed, because immediately afterwards, I watched a couple of other films on TCM.

There was a time, not long ago, when Miss Jane Fonda was considered one of the great actresses of her generation.  If you weren't there at the time, you might only know her as the exercise woman with lots of plastic surgery, or Ted Turner's ex-wife.   But at the time, I went to all her movies and enjoyed her performances a lot.  Always surprising - beautiful and intelligent - she co existed with Raquel Welch, Faye Dunaway, and (for a time) Natalie Wood.

A film I saw twice when it was released un film de James Bridges THE CHINA SYNDROME was on last night.  I remember thinking it was a bit melodramatic at the time and being blase about the whole thing - even though a week after its initial release - it almost came true!  NOW - seeing it again - I am reminded of Jane Fonda's immense talent.  It's not the BEST film in the world, but it is a group of professionals showing us something that we needed to see.  And my oh my - is she beautiful.....subtle....intelligent.....acting but not letting us know she is acting....I wish she would find a great return to the screen project.

Then I watched I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER - directed by someone discussed here a couple of days ago.  Mr Gilbert Cates.  And, while I am not a film director - I have to say, he did a terrible job.  A scene that could have been done in 8 or 9 setups is done with 25 or 30!  Hardly any two shots - all reaction shots.....and the ending is botched.  I had never seen this movie....but having just seen A LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT the night before....well....this was HARD to sit through.

And now I am done with the lecture for today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2005, 04:43:19 AM »

Good morning, DRJRand54!  I check in, read the posts, get ready for the day cme back and check in, abd there you are!  It's getting interesting at B&N.  The new manager of the first floor, after being in insufferable bitch for the past six years as the cash/sales manager, is making life miserable for several of the first floor employees.  I've accused her of unprofessional behavior in the store, but the store's manager's response was "you can't prove it," and continues to allow her to make life unpleasant.  I'm not so much under the firng line since I'm only there two days, but I've had several coworkers ask me if she isn't nastier than ever these days.  I only have to deal with her Saturdays, something I don't look forward to at all since the unprofessional and evil crap she pulled on me a year ago.

So, enough of the Coras in this world.  I finished the "Elizabeth/Darcy" mystery, which was really rather poor.  I can't imagine the audience:  not good enough for the Jane Austen fans in style and tone; like the Sir John Fielding mysteries, every time I come upon an American spelling like "honor" for "honour,"  I'm taken out of the book (in the Fielding mysteries the narrator is an 18th-Century British teen).  I also found the plot, involving characters by the author of "Sense and Sensibility," irrational and senseless!  Now, I think I'll look at these Austen mysteries where Jane herself is the detective.  I shudder!

I have no media report this morning.  I just listened to JEEPERS CREEPERS, and I have 40 minutes before B&N. so I'm listening to some Dvorak.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2005, 04:52:13 AM »

DR elmore - sorry you didn't enjoy the mystery.  Hope you have a good day at B&N.

Friday media - CD (car) - audiobook, bio of John Adams (yes, I'm still listening to this and they've just now signed the Declaration of Independence!); DVD from Netflix - Angels in America, part 1.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2005, 05:09:05 AM »

I am listening to BBC Radio 3 live. I just tuned in so I don't know what's being played as I came in on the middle of a piece.

Iris, I'm jealous of your scoring tickets to Spamalot. It's the one show to which I'm having trouble getting tickets. Not trouble, really. I just would like to see it before May or June and I also don't see any discounts. I know it's "next Producers" according to the buzz but I still don't want to pay $100 or $75 for a seat. I may just have to bite the bullet and get a ticket.

Later, Bohemians!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2005, 05:52:51 AM »

Dear BK:Re my e-dictionary
It’s a collabration of The Catalogue House, which is a mail order house that have been proposing a lot of oroginal nifty goods so far, and Sharp, which is a famous electric company, for a liquid crystal display/television. And it is unfortunate that they sell their goods only in Japan.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2005, 06:07:10 AM »

DR JOSE: Where did you audition for Universal Studios Japan? In the US or in Osaka or any other part of Japan? You know quite well about Japan and about Japanese stuffs, don't you?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2005, 06:20:24 AM »

I finally watched “ The Phantom Of The Opera”. It’s a few months since many DRs speached about it on this board…. The movie gave me gooseflesh the whole story through as it was charged with dramatic tension.
Do you remember Christina’s dress?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2005, 06:51:05 AM »

In the CD player @work "Steve Ashley- Everyday Lives"

In the tape player in the car "The Reptile Room" one of the series of Unfortunate Events children's books, the Vixter thought it would be fun if we listened to it together in the car

In the DVD Player at home: LOTR Return of the King discs   1- 4

and "Support YOur Local Sherriff" in tray 5

VCR- I think its empty

CD at home - War of the Worlds
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2005, 07:02:16 AM »

Last night Charles Pogue mentioned:

"Does anyone remember the story of Bongo the Circus Bear that was a Disney cartoon (Hell, I'm posting...I'm not getting bitch-slapped)."

Sure do. It was in FUN AND FANCY FREE, a Disney compilation feature which featured Disney's voicing Mickey Mouse for the last time (in the "Mickey and the Beanstalk" sequence). It's available on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2005, 07:39:14 AM »

Good Morning!

It's a bright, sunny day here in Fairfax, VA.  And it's cold!  It's only supposed to get up into the mid-30's - after some very nice days in the 50s and lower 60s.  But, cold doesn't really bother me too much - especially with the way the heat works in my parents' house. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2005, 07:40:55 AM »

As for Media Check...

I didn't bring back anything new this past week from Richmond, and I still have some discs from the past two weeks sitting in the  "to be played" pile, so...

I'll be baking in a few, and I guess I can put some music on while I'm futzing in the kitchen.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2005, 07:42:00 AM »

Great American playwright, Arthur Miller, has died at 89.

Link to an obit.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20050211/ap_on_en_ot/obit_miller
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:42:18 AM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2005, 07:46:49 AM »

DR Hisaka - When I was on tour with USJ, sadly, we did not audition anywhere in Japan.  Instead, we had auditions in Australia (Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney), and then the US (Charlotte, NC; Orlando, FL; New York, NY; Chicago, IL; and Los Angeles, CA).  All in a span of about six and a half weeks - quite the whirlwind - but I had a wonderful time.  And I even got to meet a few DRs along the way including DRs Tomovoz and Colin in Melbourne, some DRs in NYC, and even DRs Jay and our very own BK in LA.

One of these days, I'm hoping to make it over to Japan.  I do love the culture - and the food!  ;)  Oh, and I also enjoy origami.  I usually fold during shows - it keeps my fingers warm.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2005, 07:46:50 AM »

Last night Charles Pogue mentioned:

"Does anyone remember the story of Bongo the Circus Bear that was a Disney cartoon (Hell, I'm posting...I'm not getting bitch-slapped)."

Sure do. It was in FUN AND FANCY FREE, a Disney compilation feature which featured Disney's voicing Mickey Mouse for the last time (in the "Mickey and the Beanstalk" sequence). It's available on DVD.

I have a copy of Bongo the Circus Bear on VHS

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2005, 07:49:44 AM »

So sad to hear about the passing of Arthur Miller.  -And I was just about to post the link to the article on Playbill.com about his ailing health...

"Death Of A Salesman" still has to be THE play that got me interested in plays - as opposed to musicals.

To paraphrase a line from that play:  Attention has been paid.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2005, 07:50:06 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:50:27 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2005, 07:50:12 AM »

Thanks for the Arthur Miller info, DR Ben. That makes me mad because I had been thinking any year now he'd get the Nobel Prize for Literature that he so richly deserved. It never happened. Another glaring lapse in their honors list.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2005, 07:51:50 AM »

DR Jane - As for the strawberries...  I looked at two stores for a decent carton of strawberries yesterday, but couldn't find any that were fresh-looking enough.  They probably restocked the shelves last night in preparation for the weekend - like most stores do - so... Ah, well... The White Chocolate Cheesecake(s) were quite delicious even without them.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2005, 07:51:53 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE FROGS (new Broadway cast recording)

DVD - THE MATCHMAKER

DVR - last week's QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY
         DREAMCHILD
         last night's WILL & GRACE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2005, 07:53:32 AM »

OK.  I need to head downstairs and start measuring out various amounts of flour, sugar, vanilla, almonds, chocolate chips... Oh, and, course, butter!  -Unsalted, of course!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2005, 07:53:33 AM »

I meant to mention this yesterday after DR JRand raved about LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT (which I totally agreed with). The cast was given a rare Best Acting prize in tandem at the Cannes Film Festival. Richly deserved.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2005, 07:54:17 AM »

Great American playwright, Arthur Miller, has died at 89.

Link to an obit.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20050211/ap_on_en_ot/obit_miller

Iam sorry to hear this, I have worked on productions of  "Death of A Saleman", "The Crucible" and "All My Sons", the Crucible was always the one that resonated with me the most ...........wondering how I would have behaved in the shoes of the accused

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:55:42 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2005, 07:56:45 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:57:06 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2005, 07:57:15 AM »

I have a copy of Bongo the Circus Bear on VHS

Yes, Disney was very smart. It clipped sequences out of its features and sold them as separate video releases. But it was not ever a separate theatrical film to my knowledge.

For years, the only way you could get THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS and THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW was as separate vidoeotapes. I think THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD was first released as a feature (the way it was made) on laserdisc. And, of course, it's available now on DVD as a feature film.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2005, 07:58:18 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:58:50 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2005, 07:59:57 AM »

Spoo, sorry about the widescreen!!