Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARSH MISTRESS  (Read 26551 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE HARSH MISTRESS
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2003, 08:10:05 AM »

The Brantley review of Bounce's DC opening has been posted (and I apologize if this is old news)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/01/arts/theater/01BOUN.html?pagewanted=2

Danise--I SO know what you mean about leftover candy.  I thought those days when I felt compelled (and gladly) to eat every last piece of Trick or Treat candy I collected were over!  But no...now we just have gads have tempting leftover candy!  

NO MORE CANDY!!!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2003, 08:32:46 AM »

In reply to the AVENUE Q on the previous page, although the visuals are cute, the CD still captures the show better thyan I expected it to.

Media Players:
CD - Cabin in the Sky which we are seeing tonight
LP - Man With a Load of Mischief which we are seeing tomorrow
DVD - Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - Deluxe edition
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2003, 08:36:03 AM »

In reference to the AVENUE Q question on the prior page, although the visuals are great it does come off better than I expected on the CD which I really like.  You don't need to see the puppets to enjoy them.

Media Players
CD - CABIN IN THE SKY which we are seeing tonight
LP - MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF which we are seeing tomorrow
DVD - ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES Deluxe Edition
VHS - Nothing
Cassette - Several newly released episodes of "Our Miss Brooks"
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2003, 08:38:31 AM »

Good morning everyone!

I was going to aplogize for my e & t-ness yesterday, but it appears that you all didn't need my help in breaking the post record.  TEN PAGES OF POSTS!!!???!!!   Sheesh... my scrolling finger is going into spasms... :)

Yesterday, I celebrated Halloween by going to dinner with friends and then to a Halloween party.  The dinner was really yummy (sushi!  mmmm.....) and the party sucked.  I didn't know people still listened to dance music.  I thought that once I left high school the appeal of thumpa thumpa thumpa beep ba beep beep would have ended. :)

For a costume, a went as a gypsy - which basically meant DR Andrea (who went as a Thoroughly Modern Flapper) threw swathes of fabric over me.   It was fun, I read tarot cards.

The party did indeed suck so a bunch of friends ended up in a nearby Starbucks en costume. Now THAT was fun.  Especially since most of us spent that portion of the evening convincing Andrea's CYGOPP that we were certifiably insane.

I'll post again later!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2003, 08:39:48 AM »

Also - why am I at the measely Karma number of 3?

Someone BOOOED ME!!!!

I am hurt... I am appalled... what did I do to deserve that? :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2003, 08:41:03 AM »

I finally got around to watching BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES last night, and I really enjoyed seeing the title number from APPLAUSE again. What a hoot! How I wish they had expanded that DVD by at least another hour. I could have suggested at least a dozen memorable Tony clips they could have placed on it.

For me, the top five would include:

"Nobody's Perfect" with Mary Martin and Robert Preston from I DO! I DO!

"Always Madamoiselle" from COCO

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from DREAMGIRLS

"I Hope I Get It" and the finale from A CHORUS LINE

"There You Are/Quit While You're Ahead" from DROOD

And that's not counting "The Aggie Song," "Walking Happy," "She Likes Basketball/Turkey Lurky Time," "Sunday," "We Are What We Are/I Am What I Am," "City Lights," "One of the Boys," "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar," and "Muddy Water." Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2003, 08:45:55 AM »

Oh... I almost forgot...

Happy Birthday Mark Rothman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2003, 08:56:29 AM »

In my CD player:  Wagner's Das Reingold and Die Walkure.

Nothing in the VCR right now, but I did look at Love! Valour! Compassion!, The Shawshank Redemption and 8 Women over the course of this past week, all for the first time.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2003, 08:57:05 AM »

Got to run to work, but Emily, I don't think anyone MEANT to "boo" you, I think they clicked on the wrong icon.  Really and  truly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 08:58:26 AM by bk »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2003, 08:58:08 AM »

OMG! And I didn't even mention Dorothy Loudon's "Fifty Percent" from BALLROOM, Sandy Duncan's "I'm Flying," "Doin' the Production Code" from A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD/A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE, or so many others. More will come to me as I sit here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2003, 08:59:21 AM »

Someone has made amends and I am now back at my rightful 4 karma points.

Yea!!!! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 08:59:57 AM by Emily »

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2003, 09:59:59 AM »

Media Check:
DVD PLAYER:

I had never seen this until last night, somehow it managed to escape me for such a long time.  Great film all the way around.  Watched the "making of. . ." documentary today, and right now am watching the feature on John Huston - - wonder if it mentions ANNIE   ???

Superlative film and transfer, love the bonus features, and then there's that remarkable score!

Only watched the "making of. . ." documentary so far. . .but, omigod, Joan Leslie is still living!!!

Otherwise known as THE WARNER LEGENDS COLLECTION, featuring a bonus disc of "Here's Looking at You, Warner Bros."

also,

Only watched "Feed the Kitty" so far, but, I have plenty of time.

Ready to be fired up, The Barnes & Noble exclusive LAW & ORDER dvd

(in the past week, also, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, DONNIE DARKO, HALLOWEEN and 28 DAYS LATER have been viewed).

VCR:
this past week's episode of ANGEL.
THE APPLE thanks to DR JRand, with an episode of THE THIN MAN.

CD:
Jason Graae compilation, Marianne Faithful compilation, Jude Cole compilation, JEEPERS CREEPES, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK soundtrack.
I'll be getting AVENUE Q tonight.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2003, 10:20:36 AM »

Well, the rainy season is over apparently.  It lasted about six hours.  I'm here at work viewing tapes and I need stuff to read or my eyes start to cross, so get off your haineshisway.com butt cheeks and do some posting, cowpokes.

Jennifer: I don't see the problem you're talking about with the notes, and since no one else has mentioned it, I think we can assume it's your wacky computer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2003, 10:25:14 AM »

I'm doing a test - so ignore me for the moment.

Okay, I'm seeing if this line I'm writing is hidden[hide][/hide]

Is this hidden?[hide][/hide]

[hide]Is this hidden?[/hide]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2003, 10:27:12 AM »

Well, that test was a miserable failure.  On another website devoted to DVD discussion, there is a way they do spoilers - basically a black box appears around the spoiler and in order to see what's written within the black box you have to click inside the box to reveal the text.  Any clues?

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2003, 10:39:23 AM »

[hide][hide]Can you read me now?[/hide][/hide]

If it's hidden text you want, maybe there's something above. . .

maybe this is a call for mr. mark . . .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 10:41:54 AM by td »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2003, 10:46:30 AM »

I've lost one of my task bars.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2003, 10:49:18 AM »

[spoiler]xxx[/spoiler]

Gosh, I hope you find your task bar. . .where could it have gone to?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2003, 10:55:28 AM »

I just took the SAT on 6 hours of sleep! And I really think I did OK! It was actually pretty easy, especially the english part. "Singer: Choir as Actor: ____? Choices are Band or Play."...is that supposed to be challenging?

The girl in front of me was taking it for her 6th time, because she wanted to get 1500. She was at 1470. If I get 1000 I'll be happy! For now, anyway.

And I have a job, DR's! I am now a waitress/receptionist at the Ashburn Cafe on Friday nights and weekends. The people there are REALLY nice, and my good friend Renzo works there too. Our lockers have been next to each other since sixth grade, and we're always in the same classes. I'm thinking that this might be a little TOO much time spent together, but I guess we'll see.

CD: Mariah Carey's #1's. I'm in a very "dance-y" mood, and this CD has some fun songs to dance to.

DVD: Stigmata...creeeeeeepy movie.

Tape: The accompaniment of "Choose Something Like A Star" for my District audition on Tuesday.

Ben: Those costumes are really great! Especially the prom dress one, tres belle! ;)

I'm getting to 25 soon...
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2003, 10:57:08 AM »

Only two more posts and then someone will be Karmalicious...I am SO behind you guys... But no worries...I can run fast, I'll catch up...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2003, 10:58:37 AM »

Yay! I'm 25! Well...posts anyway.

Question: Did any of you adults dress up yesterday during the day? It was amazing to see so many adults dressed up in full costume, shopping at the grocery store, or walking along the sidewalk. I had to have seen at least 20, but not one kid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2003, 11:02:25 AM »

More hot posts, more hot posts.  I'm viewing, viewing, and viewing, not necessarily in that order.  It's already eleven.  I'm two tapes down with five to go, so I'm actually hoping to get out of here by two, which will still give me a few hours of daylight in which to play.  Yay.  Play=yay.  Yay=play.  I'll also be posting some more images of my art collection a bit later.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2003, 11:21:42 AM »

Ben:  Great photos.  I loved the one with the 'fro.  Didn't I might you one night down on Christopher.........

Swishy:  Congratulations on the new job!  That sounds like it will be fun.  And your good friend Rizzo works there?  Well, there are worse things she could do.

CD at home:  Oliver - OBC
Cd in my car:  Oliver - Jonathan Pryce version.
DVD:  Nothing
VCR:  Oliver  - My previous version (Damn I suck!)

Oh, BTW (by the way in internet lingo)  Going over 100 posts last night, and breaking the record for posts on the new site (at the same time) was great fun.  Unfortunately, afterward i didn't sleep very well.  I had to get up three times in the night to use the bathroom.  I wonder if it had anything to do with   being the "full member"?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2003, 11:23:04 AM »

I belive there is a rule against groaning at this site!
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2003, 11:28:54 AM »

How's this for a hot post?  Errr, maybe hot posts are not such a great idea considering what you're going though in CA.

Just got back from doing ye ol' grocery shoping.  After I sit down for a miniute, I'm going to take the dogs for a walk.  

I know poor Bear is going to be scared when we walk by the house they're putting a new roof on.  They're using one of those nail guns and he HATES that.  He's very sound sensitive.   He would never have made a gun dog--even if he is part Lab.  He's a lover not a fighter.  *chuckle*  Brandi is the one with the attitude.

Speaking of hot, I'm going out later to pick up a pizza.  Little Caesars has their Hot and Ready pizzas for $5.00 that aren't half bad.  The first time I saw the sign all I saw was the kid standing on the side of the road with "HOT AND READY" in big letters--now pardon me, but I had whole different idea as to what that sign referred to until I saw the picture of Little Cesar.  LOL!

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2003, 11:39:02 AM »

In one of my VCRs:  a tape of Wednesday's episodes of the retitled "Star Trek:  Enterprise" (it used to be just "Enterprise") and "Jake 2.0."

In my other VCR:  a copy of a copy of a copy, etc... of the original Broadway cast production of Pacific Overtures that was released only in Japan.  The picture's a little jumpy and the sound has a hiss throughout the whole tape, but it's pretty cool seeing the whole show.

In my DVD player:  nothing...yet.

On my record player:  the 1974 Broadway cast recording and then the Opera House version of Candide.  I'm making CD copies of these for a friend of mine.  I just finished Sarah Brightman's half of the live recording of Song and Dance and I still have to do the "Variations" (dance) half of this recording...but that'll be after Candide.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2003, 11:43:17 AM »

And Happy Birthday to Mark Rothman!!

And Congratulations on the new job Swishy Sarah!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2003, 11:56:27 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Mark!
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2003, 12:23:54 PM »

The only thing I had playing was Pam Myers solo cd in the car Very disappointing could have used BK's touch. Too much material sounding alike  to even the order of the songs.

Nothing in the DVD player, vcr or cd player at home I hadn't planned to be around this weekend. So maybe I will go to Best Buy and see if I can pick up something.

and no wisecracks about tricks or treats!! You know which DR readers I am talking about!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 12:24:12 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2003, 12:33:52 PM »

I found my task bar!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up