Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH C'S  (Read 18939 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ROMANCE ON THE HIGH C'S
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2005, 10:51:59 AM »

I love "Sing a Rainbow" - didn't Peggy Lee sing that in a movie?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2005, 10:53:31 AM »

Peggy Lee Page Three.....illustration.  ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »

Good detective work.  Arthur Hamilton.  Well, it sure sounded like Cy and Carolyn.  It was a very cute number.  Tomorrow I hope to also find a very cute number.

BOMBASTIC.  Which, of course, anagrammed is BASIC TOMB.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2005, 11:11:56 AM »

In the Los Angeles Sunday Magazine of today's LA TIMES there is a several-page profile of Miles Kreuger, acquaintance of BK's, elmore's, and mine, and his Intitute of The American Musical ...a marvelous repository of theatrical and movie memorabilia which is hoarded in his home.  I think the piece captures Miles' devotion to his life-long service to the American Musical as well as his eccentrities.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2005, 11:17:54 AM »

Thanks to DR's Jose and elmore for the clarifications last night to my posts about Phillipine foods and The Little Pie Shop, respectively.  Both replies were made after I wussed about 11pm EST.

My worst kitchen disaster required a 911 call and the appearance at our house of 2 fire trucks and the Assistant Fire Chief.  I was preheating the oven to cook for the first time after a bout with pneumonia and I heard this "Whump!" noise from the stove.  When I turned around, through the glass oven door, I could see that the whole oven was in flames -  it was an electrical fire that toasted the entire element.  It had burned itself out by the time the firefighters got here.  No injuries, fortunately, and the only repair required was a new heating element for the oven.  We went out to dinner that night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2005, 11:36:44 AM »

Sweet Lord, I'm all caught up.

Thelma Ritter, as luck would have it, was in two straight films I just completed watching on the Fox Movie Channel. The first, ALL ABOUT EVE. Well, what can you say about this film? If it has a flaw, which it does NOT, it would be that Birdie kind of disappears, never to be seen again.

But luckily for me she DID appear again, in the next film, FATHER WAS A FULLBACK. Here is an example of a film, probably average in its day, that has dialogue far better than most of today's meager offerings. Fred MacMurray is having a poor year as the football coach of State U. His eldest daughter is going through an identity crisis where she believes boys vomit at the sight of her. Natalie Wood is hilarious as his youngest daughter, here reunited with Maureen O'Hara from MIRACLE ON 34th STREET who plays the Coach's wife.  Wood's later REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE co-star Jim Backus is comical as the neighbor who phones the elder daughter pretending to be an interested suitor. Add in Rudy Valee as the impatient alumni president, and, of course, Thelma R. as the maid who is making money by betting against State U. and all in all, you have a comedy delight. I think every line Thelma delivered was funny.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2005, 11:40:05 AM »

I also want to add that Betty Lynn, who plays the teenage daughter is quite funny. She brings disgrace upon the family when her false memoir, "I Was a Child Bubble Dancer" is published in a sleazy magazine.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2005, 11:44:59 AM »

The article on Kreuger that Pogue mentioned, titled "One Man Show," is available online.

The Library of Congress values the Kreuger archives, known as the Institute of the American Musical, at more than $1 million. State Librarian Emeritus Kevin Starr describes the stash—visitors gain access by appointment only—as a "cultural resource of international importance." Yet Kreuger, who lives among the floor-to-ceiling artifacts with his ancient dog, Molly, depends on the kindness of benefactors for financial support. Over the years, several of these friends have gently urged him to transfer the collection out of his darkly furnished duplex near the Fairfax district to a more secure and accessible site. But Kreuger resists every effort to pry away his things, showing the same tenacity he has deployed during the more than 50 years it took to acquire them.

"The institute is Miles. He is it," explains Robert Kimball, a musical theater historian and longtime member of the institute's board.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2005, 11:55:35 AM »

I'm sure we'll be running into Miles this upcoming weekend at the Courts show.

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

We need some BOBASTIC postings, wouldn't you say?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2005, 12:46:30 PM »

I'm sorry for being errant and truant, but I've been working on this paper for my IAAAAWWOTD class.

My worst culinary disaster would probably be the time I tried to make vegetable fried rice. The top of the bottle of soy sauce came off and emptied the soy sauce all over the kitchen. It got everywhere except the rice. I went to get a towel to start cleaning up, and slipped and fell in a puddle of soy sauce on the floor and got it all over my tuchus.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2005, 12:52:40 PM »

In the grocery check out line today I found out that Middletown (Ohio) High School Class of 2005's senior trip to New York City is March 16-20, which means that they will be there the same weekend many of us will be in town to see "Jewish Thighs on Broadway."  They're seeing "The Lion King."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2005, 12:55:36 PM »

That's a really neat senior trip. My senior year, they went to Mexico and got tattooed. I didn't go.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2005, 01:01:24 PM »

I have returned from my weekend at George U's in South Beach..had a great time...the weather was very nice and believe it or don't, I went boogie boarding! LOL! I have never done that before...but I tell you, squeezing into that wet suit is NOT an easy thing to do! And getting out of it is even more difficult! And walking around in it I felt like I was in one of the 1950s B - movies (which of course I loved!).

Here I am fresh from the sea!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2005, 01:03:26 PM »

Well DRJOSE - my most terrible kitchen mishap was the time I put Liquid Dishwashing liquid in the Dishwasher!

DON'T EVER DO THAT!!!

I did that once myself. I knew you weren't supposed to, but I had run out of diswashing detergent, so I put small amounts in the cups and hoped for the best.

Took me hours to mop up the suds.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »

And here is George from the Black Lagoon!

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2005, 01:06:32 PM »

That's a very good picture of you, DR MBarnum. You should crop it and use it as your avatar.

George looks very nice as well.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2005, 01:07:08 PM »

And here is the view from George's living room...where we watched both INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) and Disney's THE UGLY DACHSHUND (sp?) along with several episodes of MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, during our down time.

Beautiful place...Jane and Keith, you should think about renting George's cottage for your next trip to the ocean!!

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »

And those are about the only photos I took as I kept forgetting to snap photos!

Ok, well I must get some stuff done, as well as read three days worth of HHW postings!!

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2005, 01:09:24 PM »

After I finshed the first disc in the CSI: MIAMI box, I put in THE CHINA SYNDROME since we had been talking about it this week. It is a wonderfully made and suspenseful film. The anamorphic transfer on the edition I have is excellent (though it has mono sound, I'm sure in keeping with the original theatrical issue).

Kerry

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KIM NOVAK!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2005, 02:02:31 PM »

I thought you were dressed as Batman for a minute.  Batman was, of course, BOMBASTIC!  I ate some ribs.   Nice segue, eh?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »

I have returned from my weekend at George U's in South Beach..had a great time...the weather was very nice and believe it or don't, I went boogie boarding! LOL! I have never done that before...but I tell you, squeezing into that wet suit is NOT an easy thing to do! And getting out of it is even more difficult! And walking around in it I felt like I was in one of the 1950s B - movies (which of course I loved!).

Not to mention how slimming rubber can be!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2005, 02:38:14 PM »

That's a really neat senior trip. My senior year, they went to Mexico and got tattooed. I didn't go.
They couldn't find any tattoo parlors closer to home?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »

Fletcher "talked" der Brucer into taking him for a walk.  Presently, I decided to leash up Marty, Bonnie and Buster, and we joined them.  Der B then conned me into taking Fletcher while he went back home to find a fifth leash to walk Mikey.

So there I was, walking Marty (who is large), Bonnie and Buster (medium sized) AND Fletcher (who is VERY large), while he had itty bitty Mikey all by himself.  

If der B complains about how his muscles ache after that walk, he'd just better make sure he doesn't do it until after I have my shoulder reset.

:-\

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2005, 02:43:40 PM »

I watched an Australian movie “Center Stage” this afternoon. It’s a story of young ballet dancers. I was really impressed with the brilliant dancing of these actors and actresses in it. They DO excellently not only classic ballet, but modern dance.  I know there’re many good talented actors and actresses in Australia, and good movies.  Is that movie popular there in Australia? This question is for maybe DR OZDEREK and DR TOMOVOZ. How do you like it? :)

I regret to say that CENTER STAGE is not an Australian movie.  It is a British movie directed by Nicholas Hytner and is set in the world of the American Ballet Theatre.  I think it was quite popular here when it was released in the cinemas.  It is often screened on commercial television.
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »

For JRands topic, I vaguely recall THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW (especially Topo Gigio) and THE RED SKELTON SHOW when I was a toddler. I have clearer memories of watching THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW on Saturday nights and also DONNIE AND MARIE and SONNY AND CHER.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2005, 03:01:06 PM »

Here is a topic/question for all. Hopefully it did not come up like two days before I showed up here. But what movies are you most vexed at their not being available on VHS or DVD? Your wish list, if you will, of films that have not made it into home-viewing availability.

Me:
A Cold Wind in August- with Lola Albright and Scott Marlowe
Advance to the Rear-MGM Civil War hijinks with Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens and a soundtrack by the New Christy Minstrels
Your Three Minutes are Up-with Ron Leibman and Beau Bridges
Most Ritz brothers films

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »

So, Topic for Discussion...

What are some of your memorable and/or infamous culinary mishaps?

I made the most beautiful apple pie once, and took it to a friend's house as dessert .  It realy was truly beautiful, the entire crust was uniformly golden brown, the edges had not overcoooked, there were no fallen spots int he top crust,

However when we all took our first bite we all puckered up, I had inadvertently substituted nutmeg for cinnamon...those damn McCormick spice boxes all look the same!!!

:P
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »

Dr MBarnum...you look good in rubber!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2005, 03:33:16 PM »

We've all felt that MBarnum looks good in rubber.

I look good in mauve.

BOMBASTIC!

My goodness, this IS a slow news day here at haineshisway.com.  Just where in tarnation IS everyone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up