Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEET NOTHINGS  (Read 17149 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SWEET NOTHINGS
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2005, 11:34:14 AM »

Interior decorating?  A year ago, or a little more, when we finally got our furniture from the old house, deciding what would go where in my room was the big thing.  I naturally didn't put a thing where der Brucer had figured I would.  I've a whole wall of bookcases, and the head- and footboards on my old bed are more decorative features than anything.  But the room suits me quite well, and I'm happy.

I let der B handle the rest of the house, with the exception of the kitchen, where I knew I'd need a table.  Advice to everyone: make sure the table/main work area is exactly what you want!  We futzed for some time, placing boxes in the middle of the room to be sure the table would be the right size.  And we got strange looks from the salesman at the table store (where they also sell barstools) when I asked demanded that the table be 38" tall!  Hey, it's easier for me to work at; I don't have to bend over when I'm slicing and dicing.  Der B prefers the taller table, too.

After all that, getting the tabletop to match our kitchen counters (in a denim blue, which looks fab with the golden oak cabinets) was the easy part!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2005, 11:35:17 AM »

Page Three Dance:

[size=20][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Everybody do the Hokey-Pokey around the kitchen table![/move][/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2005, 11:44:01 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

So, tomorrow they are finally coming to look at the floor situation again.  I've made clear that whatever they do cannot interrupt my writing schedule and that they'd have to figure out how I'm sleeping here, because I cannot be inconvenienced for more than a day or two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2005, 11:45:25 AM »

The book reading and signing is on and definite.  It will take place at The Drama Bookshop between five and seven on Friday the 18th of March.  I do hope many of the people who will be in for PennyO's show can make their way in to visit on Friday.  I'd love to have a nice big crowd.  I'll have complete details soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »

Oh and Jennifer, glad to hear the advice of all and sundry worked out!  What did you do differently this time, use sugar instead of liquid sweetner?

I used sweetner but not liquid.  I made sure the bowl was dry.  I made sure no water or egg yolk was in the whites.  I think that is it.  But I also put a bit of sour cream in the mixture after the whites peaked.  It the meringes taste really good (well for not having sugar or chocolate in them!).

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »

This morning I went for a walk. We've had so much rain lately that the desert looks like a meadow:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2005, 12:26:17 PM »

MBarnum- I read that same Arch Hall interview in Fangoria. He seems to be a well-adjusted guy who looks at his brief career philosophically. He says, hey, if your dad offered you the chance to be in some movies, wouldn't you have done it? They really talk up THE SADIST in that piece, though I've never seen that one. THE CHOPPERS is pretty entertaining, if you see that one for cheap. Features his ridiculous song, "Monkey in a Hatband".

SWoody- Ha! I'll have to apologize to the rest of my furniture now for hurting its feelings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

Slow news days are one of my PECCADILLOS, don't you know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2005, 12:28:18 PM »

I'm going to see if I have any packages waiting for me.  May also get some luncheon.  Then I'll try to do another two pages this afternoon.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2005, 12:28:47 PM »

I now have my Penny O tix, and one request, BK, if you have any control over it: Make the reading at at least 5:15 or later, so I have time to get across town.

Today it is like 63 degrees and sunny here in the Big Apple.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2005, 12:50:12 PM »

I am sick, but I will feel better in a bit.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2005, 12:53:14 PM »

I don't feel any better.

It is 65 glorious degrees F here today.  How wonderful.  And snow predicted for tonight!

I think painting is also the largest project I have ever been involved in.  We did add a large room at one end of the house for my sister, but since it didn't involve any other room it wasn't a hardship.  And when Molly moved out, I got the room.  It is very nice.

OH - we did take out a wall between the bathroom and utility room making a much LARGER bathroom.  In doing so we lost our back door, because there was no utility room off the kitchen.  So we put French Doors Ooh la la - in the kitchen and added a deck.  That was NOT so convenient!

I may have some photos somewhere.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2005, 12:56:22 PM »

DR HISAKA here is a link to the BEST site on the internet about Frances Farmer.  ;D

http://www.geocities.com/~themistyone/index2.html

You will find many photographs and also articles and photos from both DR JMK and myself there.  ;)

Very interesting to look at the photographs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »

MR BK I am very interested to hear your reaction to the high school recording of LI'L ABNER.  I am intrigued.

Jed

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2005, 01:02:33 PM »

I now have my Penny O tix, and one request, BK, if you have any control over it: Make the reading at at least 5:15 or later, so I have time to get across town.

Me thinks it lasts until 7:00 for that very reason...   :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2005, 01:07:41 PM »

Yes, I won't start actually reading until around five-thirty or five-forty-five.  There will be CAKE, and other refreshments.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2005, 01:09:41 PM »

My most disastrous redecorating project was something like Ben's.  When I bought my original house in 1981, it had a painted fireplace.  I decided I would strip it and stain the wood.  Well, after several months of this, it became apparant the the various grains of wood that had been cobbled together to make it in 1936 would not look good stained.  So I just painted over it after all.

It wasn't till Joe moved in that the real decorating began, because that is what he is good at.  Trouble is, he's a perfectionist and finds every little flaw, so painting a room goes on forever.

In fact the best work ended up being done after he came down with a neuro-muscular disease.  We had the library half-dormered, put in 19' of book shelves on one wall, and sanded and stained the floor.  Read, Joe sanded and stained it.  He would turn up the stereo so the health care aid didn't hear him screaming in pain--but he finished it.

Then we had the kitchen redone.  We hired a carpenter, and figured out a great cabinet configuration.  But the pièce de la résistance was the floor.  Joe wanted it laid diagonally.  But the carpenter poo-pooed his next idea as much too difficult.  So Joe started it himself at night.  He covered half the floor boards with tape and stained alternate ones dark, redid the taping and stained the other ones light.  It was magnificent, though very time-consuming, but everyone who walked into the house said, "I love your floor!"

Then he redid the living room and painted that old fireplace in white and burgundy, very Victorian with complex patterns.  Alas, we sold the house and moved to our present new one, where precious little has been done as Joe's disease limits his abilities more and more.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jed

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2005, 01:18:49 PM »

I think I shall go see Les Parapluies de Cherbourg projected in all its big-screen glory this evening.  Yes, I think I shall.  Can't go wrong with a 20ft Catherine Deneuve... :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »

I think I shall go see Les Parapluies de Cherbourg projected in all its big-screen glory this evening.  Yes, I think I shall.  Can't go wrong with a 20ft Catherine Deneuve... :D

And please do, do do enjoy all the visual jokes.  Especially the costume and set matches and the floating bicycle scene.  I will wait for you.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »

My argument about the bars is that if they're noticing them, then the film isn't holding their attention at all. I forget that they're even there.

I recorded MEDIUM last night (a TV show that broadcasts in widescreen and thus has black bars unless you're watching the high definition broadcast), and I'll guarantee two minutes into the show, I won't even notice there are black bars there.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2005, 01:33:32 PM »

I wish there had been digital cameras back then because it would have been so easy to take before and after pictures and have them available for comparisons. I know the revovator took before and after shots, but he's long since left Charlotte, so I'll never get a chance to see how truly awful that kitchen was before we started. I stipped off a piece of the pine tree wallpaper and kept it for a long time to show people who visited what we started with, but I don't even know where that piece of paper is now.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »

Sadly, I didn't get any packages today. So, I'm back to watching more CSI: MIAMI episodes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2005, 01:41:57 PM »

I got only two packages: One, a leggy, sexy photo of Miss Leslie Parrish.  The other was a Joe Hisaishi CD from amazon.  This one isn't a soundtrack - it's some sort of orchestral concept album based on the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I shall listen to it shortly.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2005, 01:42:59 PM »

"The Medium" was w-o-n-derful!  This is Glen Gordon Caron at his best...putting fresh little spins on things and keeping the viewer guessing.

JRand54:  Alas, poor Austin.  But wait!  I believe FOUR, count 'em 4, designers are going to create a collection for the final project.  So the next show must reveal a twist!

Kara Saun rules.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2005, 01:43:47 PM »

I received a small package, out of which hopped "The Brave Little Toaster" in CD form.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2005, 01:47:54 PM »

Yes DR RON - anxious to see the "reunion" show tomorrow.  There was some talk on a board to two that all four finalists were allowed to show a line so that the final three wouldn't be known before last Wednesday's episode.

Interesting.  I still think they only kept Wendy Pepper because she had won the Banana Republic challenge and they were obligated to sell her ugly dress.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2005, 01:48:18 PM »

That was my kind of Valentine yesterday, MBarnum. Thank you.

None of my decorating projects have ever been disasters. (Why are you laughing, mom?)
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

As far as horse-races are concerned, count me in the I-Love-New York, New York camp.

What turned BK off was part of the reason I enjoyed it, taking the typical success-in-show-biz story and making the characters so realistically bad-natured while preserving the glowingly beautiful studio-shot exteriors, all the music and poetry contrasting with the warts-and-all DeNiro.
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »

Yes DR RON - anxious to see the "reunion" show tomorrow.  There was some talk on a board to two that all four finalists were allowed to show a line so that the final three wouldn't be known before last Wednesday's episode.

Interesting.  I still think they only kept Wendy Pepper because she had won the Banana Republic challenge and they were obligated to sell her ugly dress.

She won last week's challenge, as well.  Austin has won two and Kara four.  Jay has never won, but has been runnerup several times.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2005, 01:53:45 PM »

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air...because Season One of "The Greatest American Hero" is out on DVD today!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up