Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE ARE NOT AMUSED  (Read 20832 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WE ARE NOT AMUSED
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »

As I said earlier, the record 38" was in 1887 or something.  We're running a close second, though, and it ain't over until the fat lady sings.  I just got back from the Dale of Glen.  I picked up my new phone and it is now charging for six hours.  It even says right on the box, this frequency will not interfere with wireless Internet devices.  Hoo and ray.  Another annoying problem solved.

It was pouring in the Bank of Bur both coming and going, whilst it is only sprinkling here in the City of Studio.

If I like this phone, then tomorrow I shall go buy another unit to have in another room.  They're not too expensive, the extra phone units and that way I won't have to run from room to room.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2005, 08:05:48 PM »

Bree has a son named Jennifer???

::)

That would be a strange name, but it is a strange show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2005, 08:09:15 PM »

The Bruce Kimmel Partridge Family Episodes

The following are the episodes which Bruce Kimmel appeared on. He played a different role on each of the episodes
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Partridge  (This was from season two and episode 32 and it originally aired on October 29, 1971)

This episode was written by William S. Bickley and directed by Mel Swope. Bob Claver was the executive producer. Bruce Kimmel played the role of Freddy on this episode.

When Keith decides to be the "man of the house" and takes his job too seriously his siblings rebel and come to him with every possible problem.

The Partridge Papers. (This was from season two and episode 47 and it originally aired March 3, 1972)

(The title of the episode is a spoof on the book and film The Valachi Papers)

This episode was written by William S. Bickley and directed by Jerry London. Bob Claver was the executive producer. Bruce Kimmel played the role of Marvin on this episode.

Marvin the editor of the school newspaper accidentally gets hold of Laurie's diary. Gordon Jump later of Soap and WKRP in Cincinnati also appears as a policeman in this episode.

You're Only Young Twice (This was from season three and episode 55 and it originally aired on October 22, 1972)

(The title of the episode is a spoof on the James Bond book and film You Only Live Twice)

The Episode was written by Susan Silver and directed by Lee Phillips. Bob Claver was the executive producer. Bruce Kimmel played the role of Richard on this episode.

Danny wants to be an adult, and according to Psychologist Dr. Beecher, Shirley allows him to become one with all the responsibilities that come with it. Danny gets bored and decides he wants to be a kid again. Charlotte Rae (Different Strokes and The Facts of Life) played Dr. Beecher

Me and My Shadow (This was from season there and episode 74 and it originally aired on March 30, 1973)

The title of the episode is taken from the well known song "Me and My Shadow" co-written by Billy Rose. It was how he felt about being married to Fanny Brice

The Episode was written by Dale McRaven and directed by Jerry London. Bob Claver was the executive producer. Bruce Kimmel played the role of Delbert on this episode.

The plot of this show had been used many time in movies and television shows. Perhaps the most famous was the Most Dangerous Game. In this episode mystery writing Michelangelo Rezo will donate $25,000 to the Partridges favorite charity if they could evade being found by them.

The Last of Howard (This was from season four and episode 81 and it originally aired on October 27, 1973)

The title of this episode is a spoof on the all-star film The Last of Sheila written by composer Stephen Sondheim and actor Anthony Perkins. Sheila is the name of the boat where the action partially takes place.

The Episode was written by Dale McRaven and directed by Richard Kinnon, Bob Claver was the executive producer. Bruce Kimmel played the role of Howard on this episode.

The family are on a cruise ship where they are performing. Laurie meets Howard who is an heir to a large fortune. He gives her an expensive bracelet. Keith and Danny think it's stolen and that Howard is a jewel thief. They set out to prove it.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2005, 08:10:50 PM »

The Doris Day Show question

Young Love

Episode 80 (Aired March 15th 1971)

Doris' young niece pays a middle-of-the-night visit to seek her advice on how to patch up her marriage, which is crumbling because her college-student husband can't stand the thought of becoming a father

Guest Stars:  Meredith Baxter, Bruce Kimmel, Michael Burns, Brenda Sykes, Bobby Griffin, Abbi Henderson, Alex Hentleoff

Written by Bob Sand, Directed by Reza Badiyi

Unused pilot for spinoff series starring Meredith Baxter

There is also a version of the show that Doris Day doesn't appear in.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2005, 08:13:51 PM »

As for my concert going:

Billy Stritch was there, but Christine Ebersole wasn't Karen Mason took her place.

Billy is a great piano player and an okay singer, but he was at his best when he was dueting with Karen at the end of the show.

Karen was wonderful as usual.

An audience member did how complimented me on my performance tonight. He thought I was Billy Stritch.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »

I thought Anwar was one of the worst tonight. "Moon River" never sounded so butchered.

The judges are very strange. Often, they are right on the money - saying that Bo outsang Constantine (the two rockers) but that Constantine has more charisma. Absolutely right.

Then, they overpriase Anwar and Mario to the point of lunacy. (Randy did say he wasn't sure about the start of "Moon River," and he was right; it began very, very badly; improved some by the end, but as a whole, I found it very lacking.)

My favorites were Anthony and Joseph. I thought Judd did very well and chose a song ("Travelin' Man") to "hide" his theatrical leanings since Simon in particular is known to blast guys for being "too Broadway."

All of the guys are talented; much more so than any of last year's male finalists, but I found Nikko and Mario to have almost identical voices; how on earth to pick between them?

Scott reminded me of Ruben. A lumbering, uncharismatic presence with no connection to the audience. No chance. I think he'll be eliminated on Wednesday. I thought Travis had the worst vocals of the night.

Michael

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »

Don't forget if you have a question about what Bruce has done, just go over to www.brucekimmel.com
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 08:17:59 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2005, 08:18:44 PM »

One thing that irritates the crap out of me is the judges' condemnation of ballads as "safe songs." Do they have any idea how much vocal control it takes to sing a ballad effectively? There's NOTHING safe about it.

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2005, 08:19:06 PM »

Thanks for the info Michael Shayne! I guess we will have to await season's 2, 3 and 4!

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

One more AMERICAN IDOL comment. I think they must have expanded their phone lines this year. I had no trouble connecting to any of the guys I voted for during the course of two hours, and then, just to see if anyone's number was busy, I dialed everyone's number once. Not one line was busy.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2005, 08:22:54 PM »

Thanks, DR Jose, for the info on the big guy who got eliminated on AI last week (as a Nicely-Nicely auditionee). I really liked his voice and was sorry he didn't get a chance to sing tonight. I think I would have preferred him to several that I heard this evening.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »

DR MBarnum - How was your "Jose day" yesterday?  Get all your cleaning done?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »

Also enjoyed MEDIUM tonight. Amazing how they are able to work the psychic gift into the story. But, aren't they going to run out of family to have this gift at some point?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2005, 08:26:49 PM »

Only BK would gripe about the horrors of the rain all day, but then go out in a downpour to buy a new phone.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2005, 08:30:55 PM »

Has AI aired on the West Coast yet?

;)

The one nice thing about having 12 singers tonight was that it limited the time for the judge's comments.  Of course, that may have been a bad thing too.

;)

As for the over-praise of some contestants... We've discussed this before, but what comes through the TV and what happens in the studio are totally different experiences.  I think it would neat to see a performer from one angle, one viewpoint the whole time - as if sitting in a seat in the audience.  All the cutting away and camera to camera work just dilutes the performances - at least the "whole" performance.  I know some people who've seen the show live, and they were amazed at the sonic difference between the live, in studio performances and the broadcasts.

However, some of the judge's comments did bewilder me at times.  -Of course, they're no longer "judges" at this point in the game, so....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2005, 08:32:12 PM »

...And I'm just wondering what the ratings will be like for Fox this week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

OH!

DR Stuart - Great "bad weather" story!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2005, 08:57:27 PM »

Also enjoyed MEDIUM tonight. Amazing how they are able to work the psychic gift into the story. But, aren't they going to run out of family to have this gift at some point?
Well, after a while Jessica Fletcher ran out of relatives, but the show kept right on going for years.

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2005, 09:10:33 PM »

I watched the last two performers on "American Idol" tonight (I was switching back and forth between "Whose Line Is It Anyway?," "Extreme Makover: Home Edition: How'd They Do That?" and "Antiques Roadshow."  Anyway, I went to the A.I. website and saw the other contestants.  I didn't see him perform tonight, but Constantine was the actor who played Roger in the tour of Rent that last year came to the Washington Center here in Olympia!  They had two performances and a few of us working with the wardrobe people got to chat with the actors quite a bit and he was very friendly.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2005, 09:12:42 PM »

Chris Rock is talking with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show.

Y'know, for an adult male, his voice is still cracking like he's going through puberty or something.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2005, 09:18:44 PM »

Shayne - I don't think I ever played a character named "Delbert" on the Partridge Family.  I'd have to check my old scripts.  The episode is correct, but not the name.

It's not Richard "Kinnon" it's Richard Kinon, whom I adored.

And Reza Badiyi did not direct the Doris Day show spinoff and/or pilot - it was directed by Norman Tokar.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2005, 09:20:37 PM »

Phone will be charging until one, and then I can use it.  As it is, I unplugged even that normal base phone with the 2.4gh, just in case.  So, if anyone is trying to call me this evening, they ain't gettin' through until one.

I'm watching the DVD of the original Japanese version of Shall We Dance.  I could watch this film once a week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »

LOXODROMIC!  An outre word, according to the dapper and dashing Marc Chapeaux.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2005, 09:23:04 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue all of a sudden?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2005, 09:23:24 PM »

Or for those who prefer it - a monolog

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »

Of course, a monolog is merely one log.  I prefer several logs, don't you.  A multilog, as it were.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2005, 09:24:26 PM »

I no longer have a clew as to what the HELL I'm going on about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2005, 09:24:41 PM »

Of course, that's never stopped me before.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »

I got a million of 'em.  I can keep this up all night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2005, 09:25:47 PM »

I see quite a few people, and yet the only posts are coming from me.  What, as they say, is wrong with this picture?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up