Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT MAN NOT FROM RIO  (Read 3724 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THAT MAN NOT FROM RIO
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »

Hi, George!  How are your pearls?  Did you have a good day?  I had an extremely lazy day.  It felt good!  Tomorrow the fam is going out to dinner for my brother and sister-in-laws 30th anniversary.  We're going to a place called Otium.  Don't know anything about it as my nephew found it.

Happy 30th to your brother and his wife.

I looked up the 5 star rated Otium.  If nothing else the plates of food should be atteactive.  I expect a report on your impression of the restaurant.

Jane

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 07:37:10 AM »

Watch the salt.  you don't want your feet to swell so your pumps don't fit.

;D  Excelllent advice.

Jane

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »

Is that a collective sigh of relief I hear?  I thought so.

It was from me 😊

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 07:40:27 AM »

DR Elmore, a lovely tribute to your friend.

A very nice obit, too.

We must never forget to treasure the good people in our lives.

There's an error in that obituary.  She was not in the ROTC sit-in, although much of the theatre dept. was.  She and I were in a dress rehearsal of a tedious production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf when another grad student, Joe Haggard, slid into the aisle where we sat to tell us there was a riot going on at the ROTC building.  The three of us ducked out of the rehearsal and walked the block to the riot.  The smell of tear gas was everywhere, and it was madness.  The sit-in had begun in the early afternoon.  It was a Friday and the law for state colleges was the buildings were closed at 5:00 for the weekend.  At 5:00 the students were asked to leave and no one moved.  The Columbus government said to get them out and lock the building and the campus police called the redneck Butler County Sheriff who arrived with all their riot gear and itching to put those hippies down.  Long-haired men and women were dragged out by their hair, maced, and thrown into paddy wagons.  When they ran out of wagons they brought in U-Haul vans and packed the students into those to go to the county jail in Hamilton OH.

The students who fought back or escaped the building were joined by friends, etc. outside the ROTC building, rocks were thrown, the sheriff retaliated by tear gassing the mob, and that's when Pam, Joe, and I arrived yo observe.  Our eyes were burning so badly that the three of us ran into the nearest dormitory, found a public restroom, and washed out our eyes.  I remember taking off my T-shirt and getting it soaking wet for Pam to use as a mask.  The riot finally broke down when the Butler County Sheriff turned police dogs loose on the crowd.  The dogs chased the students off campus and into the Village of Oxford.  A fraternity boy, sitting on the fraternity's porch, was attacked and mangled by one of the pursuing dogs.  The bloody towel used in getting him to the hospital was hung as a banner on the fraternity porch for weeks.

A week later, the students were shot at Kent State.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:55:43 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »

A very nice obit, too.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

Jane

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:30 AM »

I completely appreciate Paul's feeling about dating again.

Jane

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »

A very nice obit, too.

There's an error in that obituary.  She was not in the ROTC sit-in, although much of the theatre dept. was.  She and I were in a dress rehearsal of a tedious production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf when another grad student, Joe Haggard, slid into the aisle where we sat to tell us there was a riot going on at the ROTC building.  The three of us ducked out of the rehearsal and walked the block to the riot.  The smell of tear gas was everywhere, and it was madness.  The sit-in had begun in the early afternoon.  It was a Friday and thew law for state colleges was the buildings were closed at 5:00 for the weekend.  At 5:00 the students were asked to leave and no one moved.  The Columbus government said to get them out and lock the building and the campus police called the redneck Butler County Sheriff who arrived with all their riot gear and itching to put those hippies down.  Long-haired men and women were dragged out by their hair, maced, and thrown into paddy wagons.  When they ran out of wagons they brought in U-Haul vans and packed the students into those to go to the county jail in Hamilton OH.

The students who fought back or escaped the building were joined by friends, etc. outside the ROTC building, rocks were thrown, the sheriff retaliated by tear gassing the mob, and that's when Pam, Joe, and I arrived yo observe.  Our eyes were burning so badly that the three of us ran into the nearest dormitory, found a public restroom, and washed out our eyes.  I remember taking off my T-shirt and getting it soaking wet for Pam to use as a mask.  The riot finally broke down when the Butler County Sheriff turned police dogs loose on the crowd.  The dogs chased the students off campus and into the Village of Oxford.  A fraternity boy, sitting on the fraternity's porch, was attacked and mangled by one of the pursuing dogs.  The bloody towel used in getting him to the hospital was hung as a banner on the fraternity porch for weeks.

Wow!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

Joshie just called to tell me to stay home.  He didn't say it, but I know he will accomplish more if I'm not there to distract him.  I will try to do laundry instead.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »

Good morning!

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 08:14:23 AM »

A very nice obit, too.

There's an error in that obituary.  She was not in the ROTC sit-in, although much of the theatre dept. was.  She and I were in a dress rehearsal of a tedious production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf when another grad student, Joe Haggard, slid into the aisle where we sat to tell us there was a riot going on at the ROTC building.  The three of us ducked out of the rehearsal and walked the block to the riot.  The smell of tear gas was everywhere, and it was madness.  The sit-in had begun in the early afternoon.  It was a Friday and thew law for state colleges was the buildings were closed at 5:00 for the weekend.  At 5:00 the students were asked to leave and no one moved.  The Columbus government said to get them out and lock the building and the campus police called the redneck Butler County Sheriff who arrived with all their riot gear and itching to put those hippies down.  Long-haired men and women were dragged out by their hair, maced, and thrown into paddy wagons.  When they ran out of wagons they brought in U-Haul vans and packed the students into those to go to the county jail in Hamilton OH.

Wow!

INCREDIBLE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »

Fun lists.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »

I'm up - maybe five hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »

Printer still doesn't have the hardcover in the system and I have now threatened to pull all nineteen books and take them elsewhere if this isn't handled first thing Monday morning because I have basically had it - someone needs to pick up the phone, call the printer and ream them out for this taking three days to show up in their system so that we can actually place the order.  My gal is in today, but nothing will happen today, but she said come hell or high water, it will get dealt with Monday and I've written to the top guy, too.  Once it's in the system it takes a day to print and they know they're overnighting everything to me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »

She of the Evil Eye is here, so I'll be on my way to have a light breakfast.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »

My light breakfast was a peanut butter cookie. I need to do better than that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »

My light breakfast was a peanut butter cookie. I need to do better than that.

Mine was cinnamon rugalach!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »

There's a new dog listed for adoption today at the NYC ACC.  I love her smile!

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »

Ate a small sandwich consisting of Carando hard salami, a slice of white onion, Gulden’s spicy brown mustard, and Black Bear horseradish sauce for an extra thrill. Freihofer’s white bread (it’s what was on sale) did the honors.

Like I said, a small one by my wolf-‘em-down standards. Should have made two. Better yet, an additional half would have been just the ticket.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »

Today is the first anniversary of the death of Pam Hollenbeck, one of my dearest friends for 49 and 2/3 years.  We met the summer of 1968 at Miami University Summer Theatre, where I was in the costume shop and she was handling tickets and publicity.  In September we were grad students, enduring good and bad classes, good and bad productions, the 1970 anti-war riots, and lots of parties, silliness, and playtime with the other grad assistants, her husband Paul and their Irish setter Brandywine.  She was a fantastic mother to four lovely girls, and I was godfather to her second child, Emily.  After graduation, she and Paul moved to Syracuse for his second degree in architecture before ending up in Toledo, where Paul's firm did really well and Pam stayed busy with liberal causes and education.

Paul's cousin is a retired actress who was in the film Serpico, and he was in Manhattan two weeks ago.  We met for a drink, talked over old times, and wept for Pam.  I asked him if he had thought about dating or remarrying.  He said, no, he had married the only girl he ever dated, and they had been very happy together.
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=pamela-anne-hollenbeck----&pid=188605493&fhid=27576

That's very sweet, Larry.

{{{Hugs of Comfort!!}}}
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »

A very nice obit, too.

There's an error in that obituary.  She was not in the ROTC sit-in, although much of the theatre dept. was.  She and I were in a dress rehearsal of a tedious production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf when another grad student, Joe Haggard, slid into the aisle where we sat to tell us there was a riot going on at the ROTC building.  The three of us ducked out of the rehearsal and walked the block to the riot.  The smell of tear gas was everywhere, and it was madness.  The sit-in had begun in the early afternoon.  It was a Friday and the law for state colleges was the buildings were closed at 5:00 for the weekend.  At 5:00 the students were asked to leave and no one moved.  The Columbus government said to get them out and lock the building and the campus police called the redneck Butler County Sheriff who arrived with all their riot gear and itching to put those hippies down.  Long-haired men and women were dragged out by their hair, maced, and thrown into paddy wagons.  When they ran out of wagons they brought in U-Haul vans and packed the students into those to go to the county jail in Hamilton OH.

Oh, my goodness! :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »

There's a new dog listed for adoption today at the NYC ACC.  I love her smile!

She's so cute!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »

Back from a really light breakfast - just matzoh brei and fruit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »

Picked up one little package.

George

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »

Topic of the Day:

All of the cast albums ;) but especially (in alphabetical order):

And the World Goes Round - New Studio Cast Album
The Brain From Planet X
By Side By Side By Side By Stephen Sondheim
A Carol Christmas
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (OST)
Evening Primrose (OTVST)
The First Nudie Musical (OST)
Follies
L.A. Now and Then - A New Musical Revue
The Last Starfighter
Levi
Promises, Promises - Broadway cast
Promises, Promises - London Cast
Unsung Sherman Brothers
Welcome to My World
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:56:32 AM by George »

George

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »

And:

A Boy Named Charlie Brown (OST)
Christmas Mornings - Brent Barrett
Harvey Schmidt Plays Schmidt & Jones
The Little Shop of Horrors (OST)
New Guy In Town - Guy Haines
Perfect Hermany (The Songs of Jerry Herman) - Jason Graae
This Christmas - Sandy Bainum
Topkapi (OST)

George

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »

BK, the What If lyrics in the notes are HYSTERICAL!! :))

George

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »

But what happened with That Man from Rio was terrible! >:( Hopefully, karma bites him in the ass...hard!

George

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »

And now, I must get my cat off me, take a shower, get dressed and go out into the wilds of Tumwater and environs, then eventually wend my way to the theater.

Have a good rest of the day, all!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »

Printer still doesn't have the hardcover in the system and I have now threatened to pull all nineteen books and take them elsewhere if this isn't handled first thing Monday morning because I have basically had it - someone needs to pick up the phone, call the printer and ream them out for this taking three days to show up in their system so that we can actually place the order.  My gal is in today, but nothing will happen today, but she said come hell or high water, it will get dealt with Monday and I've written to the top guy, too.  Once it's in the system it takes a day to print and they know they're overnighting everything to me.

What about your book store event tomorrow?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 12:53:12 PM »

The laundry is finished and put away. Annabelle did not eat dinner, but I cannot see anty signs of blockage in her nose.  I think sher's holding off till 7:30 treat time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up