[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:SEGUE
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 07:39:58 AM »

You Can't Run Away From It is out on CD, coupled (so to speak) with Texas, Lil Darlin'.

Here's an obscure musical:  Marco, with that well-known star of stage and screen, Desi Arnaz Jr. (and Zero Mostel).  One of the most peculiarly peculiar films ever, the first live action (supposedly) film by Rankin Bass.  I had seen a VHS of it years ago and found a DVD on a site and ordered it.  When it came, it wouldn't work in my DVD player, but I put in my PC and finally got it to boot--it was a travelogue about Atlanta, Georgia.  Hmmmm.......
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 07:40:59 AM »

I'll assume DR TCB found out who was eliminated on AI: Melinda, Sarah, Jared and Judd.

I must say this. I hated the way Ryan did the eliminations.  For the women he just blurted poor Melinda's name out (she was stunned).

But the real doozy was for poor Judd.  That was horrible.

For those who didn't watch, there were 6 men sitting on the top row and 5 on the bottom (one had been eliminated from the bottom row already).

Ryan tells the 5 on the bottom row to relax.  Then he makes the 6 others come on stage two by two. He says to the first group "you are safe". Then to the second two he says "you are safe". Then to the last 2 he says "you are safe".  Then he looks over at the other 5 and yells out "judd you're gone".

Without even letting the bottom row know they were in jeopardy.  Judd was stunned.  Everyone assumed it would be one of the two guys left standing on stage (anwar or joseph).

I also didn't like how they did each elimination separately.  Bring out the bottom 4 girls and get rid of 2. Do the same to the guys. To make each group sit through eliminations twice was not nice.

I will also say that Melinda (who was eliminated first) got something right on (which really bugs me).  All the people who got eliminated were those who were not featured on the regular show (people we have not seen until this week). IT's not fair. So many of the contestants were featured regularly during the audition shows. And they developed huge fan bases. It is totally unfair for those who were not seen until now.

The only thing i can think of is that they featured those with more charisma and those who were thought to have a good chance to win.  Since it does seem to me that way.  But it's still not fair. And I strongly suspect the same thing will happen next week (those we did not see on the audition shows will be the ones to leave).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 07:53:30 AM »

I think Joan Crawford's musical TORCH SONG is a real guilty pleasure. It's terrible in so many ways, and yet I can't help watching it often AND enjoying it.

My favorite Durbin musical (and I guess most of her films would be considered obscure) is HIS BUTLER'S SISTER.

I've mentioned I LOVE MELVIN here before as one of the great "small" musicals, and would IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER qualify since it was such a flop on its first release?

THE OPPOSITE SEX IS a lot of fun and is very well cast. The music is negligible, but adding the hunky Jeff Richards to any movie just has to make it worth watching. I have it on laserdisc, but the color is faded, and the movie is obviously in need of some tender loving care.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 08:00:42 AM »

You're right, Jennifer, about Melinda's comments. Those who were not given featrued time on the audition shows and last week's eliminations are at a terrible disadvantage in that they have no rooting interests built up.

The judges (Simon in particular) tried to offset her remarks by saying that since some of the singers have only one chance to make a good first impression, they needed to make the most of it, but it ignored Melinda's point that you've got fans who would be willing to give a favorite the benefit of the doubt in the first round until it's clear they aren't going to measure up.

The four eliminated last night did start with a terrific disadvantage in terms of fan support.

I had written comments about all 24 contestants each night, and while I didn't write anything flattering about Melinda or Sarah, I wrote that Jared had a sweet voice and that Judd had excellent performing instincts and was trying to hide his musical theater background with a song that wouldn't require a "show voice."

See last night's forum for my comments about the results show format. There has GOT to be a better way to do this.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2005, 08:03:26 AM »

After near 70 degrees yesterday, today it's cold, rainy, and dreary. High supposed to be 41 today. [sigh]

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2005, 08:08:15 AM »

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing MY SISTER EILEEN again after many years. Maybe I'll like the score better this time around. I guess after so many years of hearing WONDERFUL TOWN, the songs in EILEEN sounded like duds to me the first time I saw it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2005, 08:12:04 AM »

I've never seen the film, but "You Can't Run Away From It" is a great song.

Speaking of Rankin & Bass, THE LAST UNICORN is a surprisingly good animated musical the Gal introduced me to. Jimmy Webb composed songs performed by America. Jeff Bridges and Mia Farrow also have a duet, although the German soundtrack CD kindly replaces Mia's vocals with a decent singer. A very dark and esoteric "kids" film that could not be done as well today even with better animation (and a computer-animated version is on the way). Angela Lansbury, Tammy Grimes and Alan Arkin also do marvelous voice work.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2005, 08:22:28 AM »

JRand: Max Frost sends a message to you from the youth of our nation: 14 or fight!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2005, 08:40:17 AM »

Rozinski mentioned the Brady House yesterday;

Such a beautiful house and only one bathroom! And Mike Brady was an architect???

At that time, believe it or not, "middle America" WAS "one bathroom."

I've always reckoned (I reckon) they didn't want to come off as being above middle class in their representation of these families.  But still....six kids, a housekeeper AND Mike and Carol and ONLY ONE BATHROOM?

I do think Alice probably had her own, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2005, 08:41:15 AM »

BK:  re Herb Alpert CDs.  There's actually a third out in this first batch, the best of the bunch:  Rarities, Vol. 1, which is all previously unreleased stuff, including Herb's tribute to Julius.

BMG Music Club people:  I just got a very interesting email from them.  They've started a Netflix sort of music thingy (technical term, that), called YourMusic.com.  You pay a $5.99 month subscription and get one CD of your choice (to keep, not to rent) for that (no shipping).  Plus all the other CDs there are $5.99 with no shipping.  I looked and the site seems to be the regular BMG site, so I think it's probably cheaper to do it this way if you have at least one CD a month you want.

Re:  Mia Farrow singing.
 I think I may have told this story before, but it's a fave of mine.   When I was the featured artist aboard a cruise ship I launched into the Theme From Rosemary's Baby one day as a sort of ironic musical comment on a child who was misbehaving rather loudly up by the piano.  When the cruise ended, a very elderly lady came up to me and said, "You don't hear that one much anymore."  (I had no idea what she was talking about, as I had played probably 60 songs or so over 3 hours).  Then she added, "You know, I always preferred Claudine Longet's version to Mia Farrow's."  Suddenly, I knew exactly what she was talking about.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2005, 08:52:41 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry for being errant and truant the latter part of yesterday, but it really couldn't be helped.

Can you say, "technical problems"?

:-\

Also, due to some sort of "deal" that my roomie made with our landlord - without consulting me, of course -  it looks like I may be packing up my stuff this weekend.  All of it.  This was sort of my plan anyway after the whole toaster oven incident back in December, but with the extra MAMMA MIA! weeks that have ben added on lately, as well as some other unexpected work opportunities...  Just not enough time to get everything done that needs to be done - at least before I head out of town next Wednesday.  It's looking like I'm gonna have quite the crazy weekend - and that weekend may be starting today!

*I was originally going to pack up everything this week, and then put it all in storage during the last week of March, but since I won't be here during the last week of March...

-Ah, they broke into the "Ellen Degeneres Show" to broadcast the Bush-Putin news conference from Bratislava... Ah, well...

So...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:04:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »

As for last night's "American Idol"...

VERY mean spirited.  I can deal with the judge's comments, but the whole elimination process just made me sick.  -And they play that god awful bumper music after they say the name?!?!?!  And then they expect them to sing after that?!??!  And you definitely did not get the best - "put it all out there" - performance from any of the eliminees.  But Judd did go for it a bit on his last phrase.

But, again, just very mean-spirited with the format for the eliminations.  Do you think that's how Fox fires their employees?
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »

At that time, believe it or not, "middle America" WAS "one bathroom."

I've always reckoned (I reckon) they didn't want to come off as being above middle class in their representation of these families.  But still....six kids, a housekeeper AND Mike and Carol and ONLY ONE BATHROOM?

I do think Alice probably had her own, though.

I think the one bathroom you were always seeing was just the kid's bathroom, which adjoined both their rooms. I think the parents and Alice had their own.

OMG this is what my life has come to?  Serious conversations about how many  fictional bathrooms were in a fictional of house of a fictional family?

I love it here! ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:02:03 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2005, 09:00:30 AM »

As for the "Project Runway" finale...

Any thoughts?

I caught up on the series the past Sunday when they were having the marathon on Bravo.  Very interesting.

I caught part of the follow up show that ran before the finale - I guess it was last week's episode.  I hope they do another follow up show a couple of months down the line. *And the next time I drive through Middleburg, VA - which really is a very nice town off of Rt. 50, horse country, lots of $$$$ - I'll be sure to look for Wendy Pepper's shop.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2005, 09:03:02 AM »

Well, we had snow, sleet, rain, etc...

Very gray day here.  Some areas are still getting snow right now, and some places are icing up already.  Consequently, some schools have been announcing early closings in the past hour or so.

Good day to stay and inside and get more "stuff" done.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2005, 09:04:35 AM »

DRs MattH & Jennifer:  I HATED the way the producers scripted last night's eliminations on AI.  All the message boards are castigating Ryan Seacrest, but I'm positive he's not responsible for the manner in which it was done.

It SUCKED...and I think outraged fans should let Fox know how they feel (not that Fox has ever given a rat's patootie what fans think).

DRs JRand54 and JoseSPiano:  JAY McCARROLL!  I have to say I thought it would be Kara Saun, but when they started dinging her for the Gucci flavor of some of her designs (I suppose fur and beautiful fits are forbidden to other designers because Gucci is known for these traits????) and remarking about Jay's originality, I knew they'd select him.

I also have to say I thought Jay's clothes were a bit MUCH...and out of the mainstream.  I know some of the fashion divas are always looking for "statements" to make, but for everyday ordinary people, Jay's fashions would be laughed at on Main Street.  

None of this means that I find Kara's stuff mainstream.  Hers is more svelte and shiny and ooh-lah-lah glam.  But her aviator-style/Russian winter-style/postal worker-style hats (i.e., skull caps with ear flaps) seemed a bit much.

That brings me to Wendy Pepper who, truly, is the archetypal designer for the mainstream consumer.  I thought her designs were quite good.  She had some very interesting stuff, and that reddish silk number was a showstopper.

I think Kara should have won, but I'm happy for Jay...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:15:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

I think the one bathroom you were always seeing was just the kid's bathroom, which adjoined both their rooms. I think the parents and Alice had their own.

OMG this is what my life has come to?  Serious conversations about how many  fictional bathrooms were in a fictional of house of a fictional family?

I love it here! ;D

Well hang on to your hat, sister woman!

Let's talk about "Mama's Family."  In the beginning, "Mama" was living with her sister Frannie (Rue McClanahan) who had not only a bedroom upstairs, but an office.

When she died (choking on a toothpick in a restaurant's ladies room), Thelma's son Vint and his two children moved in.  BOTH children had rooms upstairs.  The girl had Fran's bedroom and the boy had Fran's office.  Vint lived in the basement.

Later, when the boy and girl moved away to be with their mother, grandson Bubba arrives, and he moves upstairs.  Vint marries Naomi, and for the rest of the series, Vint and Naomi -- who live in the basement -- both want an upstairs bedroom, but there's no room as long as Bubba is there.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER ROOM??????  There were three...and suddenly, in the final seasons, one has disappeared.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:14:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2005, 09:16:13 AM »

Does no one want to answer dear reader Hisaka's question about "segue"?  What language is it - French?

I changed the get-together to tomorrow morning, as I just didn't feel like breaking up the day with too much running around.

I am more than happy to report that the skies are completely and gloriously blue and the sun is shining for all its worth.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:16:55 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2005, 09:16:15 AM »

I too am happy for Jay.  Kara Saun has an established career and the word is that she already has a lucrative contract in the looming with that scion of fashion P. Diddy or Sean John or whatever pretentious name he goes by..

I also love THE OPPOSITE SEX and have the VHS - well worth watching.  Yes, the musical numbers are just filler, but they are fun, from the "Broadway" type show numbers a "Banana" calypso number and the title tune with Jim Backus and Dick Shawn wherein co-star Joan Collins flashes her undies, a nice ballad by June Allyson and another "sexy" song by June "Now, Baby, Now" which is hilarious.  And a "rock and roll" song by Jeff Richard (but not really Jeff).  Add Ann Sheridan and Dolores Gray and Ann Miller and it's lots of fun.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2005, 09:18:20 AM »

Is anyone else having problems loading that huge photo from WFO at the top of the page?  If so, I'll remove it and he can resize it down.  I have cable modem and its still loading very slowly.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2005, 09:21:50 AM »

It just occurred to me that I have never seen Disney's THE GNOME MOBILE....do any DRs have an opinion on this film? Is it worth picking up? I like the cast, but it sort of reminds me of that other Disney little people movie, the name of which escapes me just now (it stars Sean Connery), which I didn't care for all that much.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2005, 09:23:14 AM »

Does no one want to answer dear reader Hisaka's question about "segue"?  What language is it - French?

In the absence of DerBrucer and S. Woody, I shall speak:

segue -- from the Latin sequi and Italian sequire -- meaning "to follow."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:24:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »

Is anyone else having problems loading that huge photo from WFO at the top of the page?  If so, I'll remove it and he can resize it down.  I have cable modem and its still loading very slowly.

It loads just fine for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2005, 09:24:28 AM »

Any musical that gives June Allyson three songs (though I'm convinced "A Perfect Love" was dubbed; doesn't sound a bit like June) and Ann Miller NO songs is pretty far OUT THERE! And Dolores only gets the title song sung over the credits.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2005, 09:26:57 AM »

It just occurred to me that I have never seen Disney's THE GNOME MOBILE....do any DRs have an opinion on this film? Is it worth picking up? I like the cast, but it sort of reminds me of that other Disney little people movie, the name of which escapes me just now (it stars Sean Connery), which I didn't care for all that much.

DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE which I adore.

I think THE GNOME MOBILE is a pan and scan transfer, and I don't have fond memories of it from childhood, but I honestly couldn't comment further since I only saw it once many decades ago.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2005, 09:29:35 AM »

Well yesterday was my NYC day with the Vixter and her friend,  Jen.  We were tourists, oh yes, we were very touristy!!!

We drove in and parked over at a  garage on 55th , between 5th & 6th and then walked  down 5th to The American Girl Place at 49th & 5th.. we made it intot he Brunch seating , little seats and china dishes were provided for the dolls, and a little box of "conversation starters" was provided along with hot cinnamon buns...I had the Eggs Benedict, which include a small bunch of seedless grapes as a side, very nice the girl's meals were panckaes, in a flower shape and Jen ordered a Yogurt parfait and granola...Lord knows why, it tasted horrible and they had some other very nice chicesa on the menu .. but whatever..

we snapped phots and had the waiter snap photos and then off we went to visit each and every display on all four floors, snapping pictures along the way!!

Then we made our purchases and wandered across the street to  Rockerfeller Center... snapped some more pictures and oh my!  A Build A Bear store!!!   So we wandered over there and the girls looked at each and every display which fortunately was contained on one reasonably small floor while I found a chair  and sat with our bundles and the dolls.

I was tempted to buy you a bear there bk, but thought perhaps it would not be appreciated. They had a bear in a smoking jacket and bunny slippers and I immediately thoought of you! I thought I could name it Bearjamin Kritzer....who knows, if you're very very good, perhaps such a bear could be in your future!!!  

Then we walked down to NBC studios, I was going to take the girls on a tour, but the Vixter was not enthused since she says she doesn't watch NBC.  I wasn't going to spend $20 a pop to drag around an unwilling kid so off we went to Times Square.

We, of course, snapped lots o' pictures and then went to Planet Hollywood for lunch where we, for a change of pace, snapped lots of pictures!!

The girls wandered all around and checked out each and every display and put their hands into all the plaster handprints hung along the wall (for those of you who have not been if you put your hands intot he handprints a recording of the actor plays something from one of their movies.  There is also a "paraparazzi walk"  , the wallpaper is photgraphs of photographers with real light bulbs in their camers, and as you walk up the ramp the lights flash and voices call out "ust one more" "Look this way!" "Can I ask you some questions?" and the like. The girls( being 11 & 12) loved it!

Then we walked up to 52nd and bought tickets for  "Little Women" for March and wandered on back to  the car , the Queensbourough Bridge and the Island of Long.

It was a nice day, crisp, maybe 40 degrees, but sunny and windless...

I was wondering DR elmore if you were at the B & N yesterday, we could have dropped in and said  "Howdy" but I wasn't sure if you'd be there.

So that explains why I was E & T yesterday!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 12:16:32 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2005, 09:30:10 AM »

I would find it VERY hard to believe that the staging of the AI eliminations was Ryan Seacrest's idea. But whoever is to blame should feel ashamed of themselves.

And how on earth do they expect them to give a bravura performance when they've just gotten some of the most shattering news of their lives a few seconds prior? Even the best pros have a hard time focusing, and these guys are doing it live in front of millions of people.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2005, 09:30:15 AM »

Well, now I have thought of my FAVORITE obscure movie, although DR RODZINSKI is correct - "14 or Fight!"

It is a Paramount film from 1954 starring Rosemary Clooney, Guy Mitchell, Jack Carson, and Cass Daley.  It is a musical western done on stylized sets with a score by Livingston and Evans.  And by now you know I am talking about RED GARTERS.

What a terrific show.  Love the songs, the sets, the costumes, the story.  It's the "code of the west."  With Buddy Ebsen and Frank Faylen in supporting roles.

The songs include "Lady Killer" all about Gene Barry (!), "Brave Man" a lovely ballad, "Man and Woman" by Clooney & Mitchell, the title tune by Clooney doing a modest strip tease on the bar at her Red Garters Saloon!

Available on a mono VHS - it's one of those movies I discovered on tv on a Sunday afternoon 40 years ago and fell in love with.

RED GARTERS!

Started off in Yonkers
Dressed from head to toe.
Then I dropped my bustle off
South of Buffalo.

Please don't tell the sheriff
I been breakin' laws.
'Cos you will find the sheriff
Leadin' the applause.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!  Also has a scene where a horse chases Cass Daley into the frame and then falls down and slides out of the scene on its rump, and from the expressions on its face and the actors, I think it was an accident....  Cass plays an Indian Minnie RedWing.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:42:15 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2005, 09:33:57 AM »

Oh dear, Judd - now I feel bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up