Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU BET YOUR SWEET PATOOTIE  (Read 18427 times)

Kerry

Re:YOU BET YOUR SWEET PATOOTIE
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »

I think I'm skipping the Oscars this year; I doubt I'll miss much.
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2005, 08:22:50 PM »

Well, I know that many of you have had a gripe with TV Guide for a few years now...but I am now also going to give up on them. The latest issue has all but done away with the movie descriptions...the did put the evening movie descriptions back into the nightly listings (awhile back they put all of the movie listings/descriptions in the back of the magazine), but there are no descriptions for any movies playing during the late night hours or during the day!

I only buy TV Guide for the movie listings so that I can see what is on TCM for the week, but now it looks like half of the movies will list only a title, but no descriptions.

I guess with so many cable stations the guide is bound ot evolve, and for some people this may work for them, but it just doesn't work for me.

Will just have to look at TCM's website and write down what I want to watch on a list...which is pretty much what I have to do for Encore Westerns and Fox Movies anyhow...so...there you go...my rant.

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »

I will be curious as to how RAY does at the Oscars, since that is the only Oscar nominated movie I saw last year (well, really I saw it this year)...but it will still be fun to see the various celebrities all decked out in their finest!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2005, 08:26:21 PM »

Good Evening!

It's c-c-c-c-cold here tonight.  Thankfully, the furnace people came by the other day for their semi-annual maintenance check - I heard some banging and clanging in the kitchen - and the furnace/thermostat does seem to be working better over the past few days. I dunno...

I may head up to Fairfax tomorrow to visit my family, but I'm not sure how motivated I'll be come morning.  I dunno...

I made some more progress through my various boxes-o-stuff.  My paper shredder got quite the workout today.  It was amazing how many receipts I had from one particular restaurant during one time period.  I ate a lot of sushi in the spring of 1997!  I dunno...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2005, 08:27:49 PM »

I'm always curious about who wins, even when I haven't seen the films. I think trying to understand the whys of the voting (when there are no contrete answers) is what makes the Oscars for me endlessly fascinating. I don't have to have seen the films to enjoy the show, and I know I will eventually see all of the major nominees within the next year on either DVD, In Demand, or on HBO/Showtime/STARZ.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2005, 08:30:25 PM »

Well, I know that many of you have had a gripe with TV Guide for a few years now...but I am now also going to give up on them. The latest issue has all but done away with the movie descriptions...the did put the evening movie descriptions back into the nightly listings (awhile back they put all of the movie listings/descriptions in the back of the magazine), but there are no descriptions for any movies playing during the late night hours or during the day!

I only buy TV Guide for the movie listings so that I can see what is on TCM for the week, but now it looks like half of the movies will list only a title, but no descriptions.

I guess with so many cable stations the guide is bound ot evolve, and for some people this may work for them, but it just doesn't work for me.

Will just have to look at TCM's website and write down what I want to watch on a list...which is pretty much what I have to do for Encore Westerns and Fox Movies anyhow...so...there you go...my rant.

I actually use the online version of TV Guide - www.tvguide.com.  The new format is little busy, but you definitely get movie listings and descriptions, as well as rebroadcast times.

Best of all, it's free.  Although, I noticed that there is now a "gold" level or something like that available now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2005, 08:33:41 PM »

I've been listening to CD's by Mark Wiegle, Fred Small and Petula Clark.

Charles, don't feel old.  I remember seeing "Follow That Dream" a number of times when it was released.  We had the EP of the songs, but it ended up at my aunt's house.  So I had to buy my own copy years later.  Granted, I wasn't quite old enough to buy own copy the first time around-- just old enough to play it and like it.  

Continuing the topic of yesterday of obscure musicals, "Wake Up and Live" is quite good.  Alice Faye's vocals are terrific.  Buddy Clark dubbed for Jack Haley, and it's wonderful.  The sets are good and the music great.  The script is very predictable (what later became sitcom plot # 28), but it's cute.

Another one with a weak plot but is still cute is "Old Man Rhythm"  It takes place on a college campus  which just happens to be the hotel set from "The Gay Divorcee."  I saw this movie the first time as a kid and thought how neat it was that they had these great art deco colleges.  Eric Blore, Betty Grable, Buddy Rogers and Johnny Mercer are in it.  Dumb plot-- not great tunes-- but all very pleasant.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 08:34:52 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2005, 08:54:13 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Stuart on Yesterday at 11:42:26am
Oh, DR Vixmom...I am sure that many of the men on this here board don't mind.  After all, we have put you through enough nattering on about Brent Barrett, The WSMA (world's sexiest man alive, in HHW speak), and other such beefcake-y topics such as Bollywood hunk John Abraham, etc.  Surely, none of us are offended by the knowledge that a girl might be enchanted by a doll.  Or even want to collect them.  After bakelite and deco cocktail shakers, what else is there left to collect BUT dolls?

Stuart-- you forgot  Fiestaware!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 08:54:35 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »

It's going to be another paper weekend. Four to six pages on Isocrates' ideas about arete in rhetoric. Are you as excited as I am?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2005, 08:58:34 PM »

Thanks DRSWW - I will stick to roast beef.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »

What If DVD update:  George, it has a couple very minor abrasions, but I think the culprit was a big, honkin' fingerprint that was quite oily and wide (Ann, whom did you watch this with? :) ).  I cleaned it off (I may not work in a library, but I have kids, so I am an expert at cleaning fingerprints off DVDs :) ), and played that section again, and it worked fine.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »

I actually use the online version of TV Guide - www.tvguide.com.  The new format is little busy, but you definitely get movie listings and descriptions, as well as rebroadcast times.

Best of all, it's free.  Although, I noticed that there is now a "gold" level or something like that available now.

I have tried that sight, I think at your suggestion in fact, but for some reason it always loads soooooo slooooooow for me, but I may try it again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2005, 10:08:47 PM »

MBARNUM I use Yahoo Tv Listings.  You might try that one too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2005, 10:13:07 PM »

I have tried that sight, I think at your suggestion in fact, but for some reason it always loads soooooo slooooooow for me, but I may try it again.

Yeah, it can take a while to load sometimes.  All those ads and animations.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2005, 10:15:49 PM »

I think it's time to go to bed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »

TV Guide doesn't load slowly just for you.  Whenever I've tried to use it, the shows I've wanted to learn about are already over.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2005, 11:22:55 PM »

I'm back - had a brilliant dinner.  Must hurry and write the notes right this very minute.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:09 PM »

I've never noticed anything about a "gold" level (of course, I've never looked ::) ), but I gave up my subscription to the paper edition last year (only five months after renewing) and have never regretted it. ;D

I've never had any trouble with it, but I have cable (broadband) Internet access.  That might make the difference.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 11:44:27 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2005, 11:44:48 PM »

What If DVD update:  George, it has a couple very minor abrasions, but I think the culprit was a big, honkin' fingerprint that was quite oily and wide (Ann, whom did you watch this with? :) ).  I cleaned it off (I may not work in a library, but I have kids, so I am an expert at cleaning fingerprints off DVDs :) ), and played that section again, and it worked fine.

Yea!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2005, 11:47:12 PM »

Okay, I'm officially going to pull the Wussburger thing (even though it's so close to the changing of the day).  I must get up early and go to work (so that I don't have to use any vacation time) then I have to go shopping for food because my parents, my sister, my niece and my sister's boyfriend are all coming over for dinner!!  I'm planning on making lasagna mainly because it's pretty simple.  So much to do and so little time!  And I want to actually sleep.  So, goodnight all!

George

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2005, 11:48:13 PM »

So I won't be around very much tomorrow.  Except when I'm at work.  I can log in there (always have ::)) and after my family leave...which will probabaly be fairly late.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 11:48:33 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2005, 11:57:23 PM »

Whew!  Notes are finished, word of the day is chosen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2005, 11:57:40 PM »

You'll want to stick around for our fun contest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2005, 11:58:16 PM »

We are inching ever closer to our new plateau of 100,000 posts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up