Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LISTENING  (Read 3914 times)

ChasSmith

Re: EASY LISTENING
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:05 AM »

Yes, the Schoenberg Chamber Symphony (s).
I also love the Five Pieces for Orchestra, and this Mercury is a stunner for that piece.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:43:46 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 05:50:59 AM »

I'd thought of suggesting Pierrot Lunaire for its atonal (but not serial) music and for the drama itself, though you'd have to follow along with a translation to get an appreciation for it. (It's a lovely little morbid tale.) :)

I like it, myself, but I suspect it's a little too far out there -- both atonally, and for the sprechstimme style of singing/narration throughout. (I think one climactic note is sung.) It probably crosses the line BK wouldn't care to cross.

KevinH

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:23 AM »

Congrats to TCB!  I'm very happy for you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:15 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »

I am alive.  I slept in until 8:45, and Annabelle wants to patrol, so I will return.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »

First, though, big congratulations to our new homeowner, DR TCB!  I hope you have a lovely guest room (asking for a friend).

Laura

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:05 AM »

Congratulations, TCB! Is there a small patio in the back for Nicky?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »

And to Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, and those 12-tone jokesters.  I too love "Verklärte Nacht" but I find "Pierrot Lunaire" interesting, although the vocalist's sprechtstimme is almost hilarious in its hoots and vocal slides.  I also find Schonberg's Big Opera, Moses und Aron, a hard listen.

However, I love Alban Berg's two 12-tone operas, Wozzeck and Lulu, and recommend them highly.  I cannot put on the CDs and follow a score because I get caught up completely in "how do they know if they played a wrong note?" and the music gets on my nerves.  Watching them is a whole different experience, and it's the only way to experience them, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:45:39 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »

BK, here's a curiosity you might find fun.  Schonberg, Berg, and Webern arranged Viennese waltzes for chamber groups and orchestration studies for their pupils.  I discovered this in college, with an album of these arrangements from the Boston Symphony, as I recall.  I have this CD.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 06:44:55 AM »

Off to patrol!  A happy Annabelle means a happy Thatch and elmore!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 06:46:54 AM »

Congrats to DR TCB on his purchase!

Congrats to DR FJL on the show production....that should be a fun summer show for everyone!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 06:48:54 AM »

TOD:

I have one Lester Lanin LP.....two tracks on each side.....long medleys of songs for dancing....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »

I liked the Billy Vaughn Lp's on DOT - that label had nice stereo.

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:25 AM »

BK, here's a curiosity you might find fun.  Schonberg, Berg, and Webern arranged Viennese waltzes for chamber groups and orchestration studies for their pupils.  I discovered this in college, with an album of these arrangements from the Boston Symphony, as I recall.  I have this CD.

I didn't know about these! Definitely interested.

I also forgot to add an enthusiastic endorsement last night for his orchestral setting of the Brahms Piano Quartet. Great piece!

Also in that mode, his "Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra After Handel" is less well known but likewise recommended.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:26:31 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 07:14:22 AM »

On a slightly amusing personal note, here's an antiquated photocopy of a piano reduction of the orchestral score made by a friend of mine in the early 1970s. Apparently one didn't exist then (maybe still doesn't?). The conductor wanted to be able to rehearse at the piano with a string quartet without fumbling with the full score. It was a quick and dirty project, and my job was to make sure that what he put down was reasonably playable. Don't know if the original cut-and-paste still exists. I should ask, and at least make a clear copy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:16:03 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 07:15:14 AM »

I have these four DVDs of the Berg operas. Lulu is based on Wedekind's play Pandora's Box, which was made into the great silent film with Louise Brooks as Lulu. It's the only opera I know ti end with Jack the Ripper.

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »

I have that Levine one, but I also want that other Met Lulu if it's the production I saw in the movie theater. Holy cow, that was stunning, and probably the single best use of projections I've ever seen. I loved everything about that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »

Our patrol was short-lived.  We got to the lobby, and Annabelle was reveling in the bright sunshine outside, when the crazy man on the fifth floor who caused the police to break down his door last year came in from outside.  Annabelle always runs from strangers and loonies - I'm the only loony she tolerates - so she ran to the stairs, but the neighbor always walks up to the fifth floor, so when he reached the steps where she was hiding, she ran back down.  I carried her home.  Still, she was happy: her tail was all fluffed out and she chirped and trilled all the way home.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 07:29:49 AM »

I have that Levine one, but I also want that other Met Lulu if it's the production I saw in the movie theater. Holy cow, that was stunning, and probably the single best use of projections I've ever seen. I loved everything about that.

I checked amazon and there are three Met performances on DVD!  I was wrong, though; the photo I posted is not one I own.  I have the John Dexter production from the 1980s, which was supposed to be Teresa Stratas.  She cancelled the broadcast and Julia Migenes played the role.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »

A friend of mine, with whom I worked in Sarasota, picked up his second Pulitzer yesterday. He lives in Louisiana. His first was for post Katrina coverage. Yesterday he won for his work on a tram that helped overturn Louisiana’s non unanimous jury law.

Congratulations to him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »

Thatch wants to go out lately.  He goes to the apartment door, sits there, and chatters at me.  I would love to let him go with us, but I fear he's not going to stick close to me as Annabelle does.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:47 AM »

I wanna go back to bed.

So do I.  At least I slept late, 7:30, managing about 5 1/2 hours of sleep.

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:01 AM »

Damn it to hell. If asked, I would also have said I had Stratas on some format or other. She's on the Mahagonny and Ghosts of Versailles, but not on either of the Berg operas unless there's one from another opera company. But yes, that is the John Dexter and I have it.

Edit:  (Fixed that.)  (Never mind.)  :)  This is getting confusing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:05:48 AM by ChasSmith »

Amy

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »

TOD:
What is "easy listening"? I immediately came up with my own examples, but since no one else has answered yet, I felt like I needed to look it up to see if I was on the right track. Apparently, I wasn't. Wikipedia says that easy listening is Frank Sinatra, The Carpenters and Dionne Warwick.
The artists that I liked, and considered to be easy listening were:
Simon & Garfunkel
Bread
Seals and Crofts
Enya

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »

In Autumn 1972, I returned to my parents' home thinking I would be in Middletown for a brief time before I headed to London.  Two things stopped that European itinerary: things were economically slow and I could not find a job. My anticipated stay of maybe six months turned into seven years.

During my job search I was constantly rejected for being over-educated since I had a Masters Degree, and no one took my application seriously. I applied to every company in my hometown and got nothing.  I went to my bank and applied to be a teller.  The lady in charge of employment was a Rosemary Something, an older woman who was very quite chilly and oozing responsibility.  As soon as she saw my application, she told me there was nothing for me at the bank and I should go see Arthur Wolman, director of the Middletown Public Library.  So I did.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:22:57 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »

Arthur was a very kind, older man, who told me he had no job openings and that he felt sorry for my being passed off to other possible employers.  So, a week later I returned to the First National Bank employment office.  As soon as I walked in, Rosemary rose from her desk and said angrily, "What are you doing here? I sent you to the library."

It took me a second to regain my composure before I said. "There were no job openings at the library.  I came back to tell you I was still available in hopes that one of your tellers had dropped dead in the past week." And I turned around and left. That Rosemary bitch died long ago and I'm happy to convey the news.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »

I brought all this up because of a blind 3-year-old dog named Austin, who is on a Dept. of Health hold at the NYC ACC for biting a person who approached him unaware.  The only thing missing from Austin's essentials is his weight, which I want to know.  So, I sent the ACC an email asking about it.  The response was Thank you for your interest in Austin. He is currently not available for adoption.  We encourage you to come into one of our care centers to meet our available animals.

I immediately thought of Rosemary when I sent this response: I am certainly aware of Austin's current situation, but once he is off the DOH hold, if he's not a silent ACC kill, he will need an adopter and I am interested.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:21:24 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »

My neighbor just called me, whining about missing Val, who was a much better super than the current one, and there being no heat in the building. She's a good neighbor but she has this knack of calling or stopping in without asking if I'm busy and chattering on and on. I suggested she call the landlord and complain, putting more blankets on the bed, layering more clothes, but no; it's whine, whine, whine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up