Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES  (Read 4389 times)

FJL

Re: LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »

so Skip who had been at "Spiderman" at the movie multiplex several blocks away [and somehow the movies there were not interrupted, though Skip said the elevators and the escalators did not work] could not get upstairs until the power was restored. 

:o

He had hung out in the park in the middle of the block, and there were a lot of people who congregated there.  Of course, no one knew the power would get back in before midnight until it actually went on.  But the pressure really was on Con Edison to do something quickly. 

FJL

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »

I guess because so many Broadway shows had to cancel, because the Times Square billboards all went out - it took on a visibility that the same number of blocks (as many as there were) might not have had elsewhere. 

FJL

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2019, 01:13:53 PM »

Also - so much money would have been potentially lost if the Sunday shows had to be cancelled too (not just the shows, also all the tourism money that relates to a weekend matinee).

But having it solved before midnight was very good news, though a surprise.  if we'd known it would be just 3 or 4 hours when it happened, we probably wouldn't have ben as worried.  :)

KevinH

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »

Hello again!

KevinH

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »

Neck vibes for DR TCB!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »

It never fails.  As soon as I find something the cats like on Amazon, it immediately vanishes.  They loved a brand of bonito flakes and immediately Amazon stopped selling it.  So I just bought the Catmandoo bonito flakes, which stink to high heaven, and Annabelle won't go near them.  Stella and Thatch love them but I do not love the smell.

It's the same with J.B.'s bird food.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »

Neck vibes for DR TCB!

And more neck vibes for TCB!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »

Spent an hour with my friend Jan, who has been battling ovarian cancer. She was in good spirits, but she was hoarse. She had had an esophageal exam on Friday and apparently the tube they inserted left her without a voice.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »

Her husband, Jim, loves to talk and would likely have talked for hours on end, but I could tell Jan was getting tired. They had had guests, eucharistic ministers from her church, before Joy and I got there.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »

Tonight is a movie night with friends from church. I'm bringing peach ice cream and some other sort of ice cream to be determined when I get to the store.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »

Happy Fete Nationale!

(What we would call Bastille Day. My friend Deborah, who moved to France recently, said nobody in her part of the country, near Lyon, had ever heard it called Bastille Day.)
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »

So silly it made me laugh.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  We attended church with Rob and Mary Linda today and they took us out to brunch afterwards.  Richard and I have spent the rest of the day inside in the air conditioning.  It’s brutally hot here and very, very humid.  I think we also have an air quality alert  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

ChasSmith, see if it says restoration on it.  I'm not sure that's a good one, but if it's the same transfer as the French, which is what I have, then you'll be very pleased.  I do know it came out in the UK - but if it's 2.35 it's wrong.

Damn. No “restoration”, and 2.35. But I had a feeling that I remembered it being criticized on its release as being not much better than a stop-gap.

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »

So silly it made me laugh.

Very good.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

A challenging matinee, thanks to the MD’s MacBook failing on him ... not once, but thrice ... during which times it was on me to sightread heretofore unplayed parts in Mr. Kugel’s lovely hand. Ah, the magic of live theater.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:07:21 PM by ChasSmith »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »

A challenging matinee, thanks to the MD’s MacBook failing on him ... not once, but thrice ... during which times it was on me to sightread heretofore unplayed parts in Mr. Kugel’s lovely hand. Ah, the magic of live theater.

Ugh.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »

TCB, please let me know which CBD cream you try, whether you find it effective, and whether there's much smell. About a year ago I tried one and it did help, but it had a strong smell. It was expensive, too--$45 for a small jar. Although I'm pleased to see new painkillers on the market I suspect that CBD's current popularity is driving prices up. I find the Arnica Rub to be equally effective, with virtually no smell, and much, much cheaper.

I don't think that any of the topical creams can handle really severe pain, but can be used effectively as part of an overall pain management program. That said, I'm interested in your feedback.

ChasSmith

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »

And now I am off to the neighbor’s for a bit of outdoor foodstuffs and libation. A couple of hours relaxation on this Sunday evening will be good. The week is going to be a humdinger. So is the one after that, but let’s take it one week at a time.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »

Cooling vibes to all who need them.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »

We started watching THE GOOD FIGHT w/Christine Baranski last night. 

Good show.

I love that show! Absolutely addictive!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »

Druxy, how are all of your family doing?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »

DR JEANNE I don't know how you can tell from THAT picture, but yes I am losing weight.

I could tell. Good for you!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2019, 03:16:47 PM »

Power was on in our apartment before midnight.  The media actually gave a warning before 8 pm that electricity could go off in more places around the area, that it may not be limited just to what's already been hit -   

Glad you had some warning. Even a few minutes are helpful.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »

Then, a surprise nice feature about apartment living - a few maintenance people started going from door to door even though it was late, but better safe than sorry - to make sure there were no medical emergencies. 

What a nice thing to do!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - was up briefly at nine to move my car out of the driveway, but I don't think the fellow who's moving into the back house has come yet, so that wasn't necessary.  But I went right back to bed and just got up, so over nine hours of necessary sleep.

I suspect you'll be giving him a copy of GEE so he can get to know the previous resident a bit.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

Or maybe he'll just listen to the audio copy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »

It never fails.  As soon as I find something the cats like on Amazon, it immediately vanishes.  They loved a brand of bonito flakes and immediately Amazon stopped selling it.  So I just bought the Catmandoo bonito flakes, which stink to high heaven, and Annabelle won't go near them.  Stella and Thatch love them but I do not love the smell.

What was the brand?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »

Glad all the NYC HHW'ers survived where were you when the lights went out....a Doris Day reference....

Yes DR FJL that's the set up - although in the play the doctor is making a house call and George comes out of the kitchen to hear a telephone conversation the doctor is having with a cardiologist about another patient.

The link you posted yesterday about WOKLAHOMA! does not encourage me to buy the CD or the tracks - it does just the opposite....although I am sure it will be popular with the gullible populace who want the latest and greatest and most WOKE thing that is trending RIGHT NOW....  Sounds hideous to me....and the preachy and talking down to us text was also awful.

But that's just me.....the SJW's can have it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up