Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK REPORT  (Read 13886 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE BOOK REPORT
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:08 PM »

DR Ann, that was Mikalah, one of my least favorite singers in the competition. She was next-to-last yesterday. Too bad you didn't see one or two of the others who truly are talented.

Mikalah is 17 and sounds 50 with a very wobbly vibrato and horrendous phrasing. All of the judges pounded her last night for a bad rendition, but they have been very lenient on her in previous weeks where I thought she was every bit as lacking in talent as she was last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:44 PM »

Can't believe I'm about to contribute to the American Idol stuff...but...I turned on the TV in time to catch the last performer, at least I think she was the last...the girl who sang Somewhere from WSS.  I listened for as long as I could stand, then I had to change the channel, so I'm not sure what the judges said about her...but yikes!!  She just butchered that song.
OOOOOHH  Worse than Babs & David Foster?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »

Can't believe I'm about to contribute to the American Idol stuff...but...I turned on the TV in time to catch the last performer, at least I think she was the last...the girl who sang Somewhere from WSS.  I listened for as long as I could stand, then I had to change the channel, so I'm not sure what the judges said about her...but yikes!!  She just butchered that song.

I saw that part last night, also.  And I didn't think she was very good at all!  BUT, all three judges complimented her on taking a risk by choosing a Barbra Streisand song.  They mentioned the pitch problems but didn't tear her apart for it.  It made me want to vomit on the ground!  (a BK reference ;))  I really don't feel that I'm missing anything by not watching the show. ::)

(For my update, I just corrected a spelling error.  Oops!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:20:22 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »

Dear Partner's Favourite Harmony grop would be the Hi-Los. His favourite group sound is the Mamas & Papas.

Special mention to a favourite group of mine - Donny, Morey & Chic "The Playmates"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »

How sad that "Somewhere" should be referred to as a Barbra Streisand song.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »

BTW - I am a Barbra fan.  I just know when "Enough is Enough" and too much.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »

How sad that "Somewhere" should be referred to as a Barbra Streisand song.

I know what you mean, DR Tom, but who else has had a top 40 single hit with the song?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2005, 02:07:41 PM »

Rodzinski finally called - he's sad that we missed Shakey's, but we're meeting at Du-Par's, which I told him will be its own kind of treat.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »

I know what you mean, DR Tom, but who else has had a top 40 single hit with the song?

I think, but am not sure, that Johnny Mathis might have in the 60s.  Not #1, certainly, but I think it charted.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2005, 02:09:56 PM »

Special mention to a favourite group of mine - Donny, Morey & Chic "The Playmates"

Are they anything like the "Chipmunks?"  Or are they more the Hefner variety of playmates?

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »

I am all for the mother/son team.  Patrick seems so gosh-darn endearingly sweet.  And she seems pretty earnest as well.

I LOATHE Rob and Amber.  I have always loathed him, from his Survivor appearances, and she seems even more acutely vapid and servile than she has in the past.  As someone said during last night's episode, directed to Rob's face, he's "lucky they don't vote out people on this show."

But aside from those two, all the remaining teams seems to have more personality, or at least are different enough from each other, which was hardly the case with TAR the last time.

Boy do I agree with you on all of the above....

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2005, 02:21:13 PM »

I think, but am not sure, that Johnny Mathis might have in the 60s.  Not #1, certainly, but I think it charted.
P. J Proby (in Oz - #96 in the USA) and Len Barry #26. Streisand did not make the 40 in the USA billboard charts.

That of course should have been a reply to DR Matt.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 02:26:39 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2005, 02:24:06 PM »

Are they anything like the "Chipmunks?"  Or are they more the Hefner variety of playmates?
Best remembered for novelty hit "Beep Beep" (1958).  They had 5 top top 40 hits in late 50's/early 60's. The Playmates did a Broadway songs album in 1959.

More like the Four Preps I guess - with a prep missing!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »

Mathis made the top 80 with "Maria".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »

PJ Proby.....a blast from the past...."Mama Told Me Not To Come."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2005, 02:32:19 PM »

Three Dog Night!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2005, 02:33:02 PM »

A song by the wonderful Randy Newman.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2005, 02:52:56 PM »

Rodzinski finally called - he's sad that we missed Shakey's, but we're meeting at Du-Par's, which I told him will be its own kind of treat.
Shakey's can be found all over California, all over the West Coast...even in Idaho!  Du-Par's is a Los Angeles place.  Good choice!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2005, 03:15:32 PM »

Oh, and I was awakened at eight-fifteen by the phone - it was the publisher asking if I'd like to do the LA Times Festival of Books at UCLA.  I asked for all the pertinent details.

bk, this seems to be a major book festival.  I hope you do it and I wish I could attend!
www.latimes.com/extras/festivalofbooks/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:16:55 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2005, 03:20:12 PM »

Oy. What a busy day.

The best part was when I dropped something off at DR Kerry's and MusicGuy's house, and DR MusicGuy treated me to a private concert on his new theater organ. What a special treat.

Today is another day I am telling myself: "I am not a social service agency." And all should be resolved around midnight tonight.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2005, 03:22:14 PM »

Re: my use of chopsticks in the kitchen, and mentioning that as a use "other than what they were originally intended," it was noted...
Yep...you and a billion Chinese, give or take a quarter-billion.
Ron is correct, of course, although why he limited his response to include only China is a puzzlement: chopsticks are also used in Japan, Korea, Indonesia, throughout all of Asia.  However,

There are many kinds of hashi or chopsticks. Those for eating meals are one, kitchens have another kind for cooking purposes, and for picking up cakes and sweats there is a different kind.

It looks like I'm going to have to get more chopsticks.

If either of us teaches the grandlads to use them, it will be me.  I've tried to teach der Brucer, and he always ends up asking for a fork.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2005, 03:35:55 PM »

Re: my use of chopsticks in the kitchen, and mentioning that as a use "other than what they were originally intended," it was noted...Ron is correct, of course, although why he limited his response to include only China is a puzzlement: chopsticks are also used in Japan, Korea, Indonesia, throughout all of Asia.  

Limited my response?

Was I under some sort of requirement to be all-inclusive?

I answered your question clearly.  It was intended with humor, but I guess you don't get that from me.   :(

If you felt I was being a smart-ass with my remark, then that's how you felt.  But dont' get carried away.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:58:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2005, 04:04:27 PM »

Here's another article, this one by one of my faves, Alton Brown.  I love the way he writes.

We did have a few ground rules: 1) Steer clear of all freeways; 2) Eat exclusively at non-chain restaurants; 3) Avoid places with tablecloths, French words in the name, and menus featuring the word "rotisserie"; 4) If at any point a waiter refers to him- or herself as a "server," drop metal and walk.

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »

For the Peter Brown fans...his official web-site!!

http://www.peterbrown.tv

You know, his TV series LAWMAN plays each weekend on Goodlife network, but I keep forgetting to watch it!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2005, 04:14:16 PM »

I answered your question clearly.  It was intended with humor, but I guess you don't get that from me.   :(
To tell the truth, Ron, you didn't answer my question.  You responded to my own answer to my question.  The question I asked was whether or not you (meaning everyone here, not you specifically) use a tool for some purpose other than it was originally intended.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2005, 04:36:34 PM »

Beep beep, beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep

I had that 45 as a child, on Roulette if I remember correctly.

Had a lovely luncheon with Rodzinski, a very bright, very nice chap.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

To tell the truth, Ron, you didn't answer my question.  You responded to my own answer to my question.  The question I asked was whether or not you (meaning everyone here, not you specifically) use a tool for some purpose other than it was originally intended.

Here's another question for all and sundry:

What tools do you use for purposes other than what they were intended?

Me, I've been using chop sticks a lot lately in my kitchen, not for eating but for turning over bacon on the griddle, moving foods around in a pan, that sort of thing.  They're just easier for me to grab and grab with.

But I'm sure we all use tools for "strange" purposes other than in the kitchen, and I'm curious as to what they might be.

Fine.  I REMARKED upon your answer to your question.

Bottom Line:  I was under NO OBLIGATION to include everyone in the world in my "remark."

PEDANT!   ;D

But, to answer your "question":

I have a little squeeze ball intended to relieve stress.  I've named mine S. Woody, written your name on it, and it is now a voodoo device.  I both use it for its original intent and as a means of working some dark magic.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 04:53:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2005, 04:53:22 PM »

I guess a lot of where I'm coming from is a more general question: How do we think outside of the box.  Combining both my "different ways of using tools" and my enjoyment of Alton, I just found an interview with AB online from NPR, where he has all sorts of fun with trash cans and hair driers.  It's an audio clip, runs about eleven minutes.  Enjoy!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2005, 04:58:19 PM »

For a voodoo device to work, it must include something that comes from the body of the intended victim.  Hair, nail clippings, that sort of thing.

Pedantly yours, and remarkably stress-free for some reason, S. Woody.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2005, 05:10:25 PM »

I rather like the word PEDANT!  It's right up there with PERSPICACITY!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up