Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ONE PARAGRAPH DAY  (Read 4684 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE ONE PARAGRAPH DAY
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 08:09:41 AM »

TOD Akan Atkin

I always wanted to see Akin Atkin in the role of Ali Hakim.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »

He was tremendous.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »

INDIEGO vibes for MR BK - I wish I was rich!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »

I hope nobody minded that I backed into the site today.  Please don't tell the HHWHOA.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

I love Wait Until Dark......which I saw at the movies....and once onstage...although it wasn't so hot there.....in the production I saw.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »

Alan Arkin:
The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!
Wait Until Dark

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »

Richard Crenna is most entertaining in everything I've seen him in...but of course he will always be Walter Denton or Luke McCoy to me.

Audrey Hepburn....everything, but especially:

SABRINA
BREAKFAST.....
TWO FOR THE ROAD
FUNNY FACE

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »

Alan Arkin:

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, etc.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »

Audrey Hepburn:
Two for the Road
My Fair Lady
Wait Until Dark
Roman Holiday
Sabrina
Funny Face
The Nun's Story

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  I'm back from a noon book talk at the public library in Hamilton.  Today's topic was The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the 1986 fire at the Los Angeles Public Library.  Any DRs remember that?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »

Interesting, before reading the notes I saw first John's response and then Vixmom's and put the two together to get the question.

I am shocked neither said WAIT UNTIL DARK.

I have never seen it
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2019, 11:00:56 AM »

Why in the world would the HOA object to backing into parking spaces?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing, DR Vixmom.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »

Interesting, before reading the notes I saw first John's response and then Vixmom's and put the two together to get the question.

I have never seen it

One of my faves!  I saw it when it first came out when I was in high school and hadn't seen it again for a long time.  Richard said several years ago that he'd never seen it, so we got it from Netflix.  I realized that it was the bentwood rocker in Susie's apartment that had made me want one of my own.  I got mine in 1979, found out that it was not comfortable for sitting, and finally gave it to the AAUW garage sale a couple of years ago.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »

I've seen that parking restriction posted in a couple of places. One was a public parking garage for a busy commuter train station, so I imagine it's to keep everything moving as best possible, since it takes a little more time and effort to back INTO a space than to back out of one.

In a typical condo parking lot I'm not sure why it would be a big deal.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing, DR Vixmom.

Me, three! :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

123%! 
Interestingly, the Levi campaign closed at 124%, and A Carol Christmas closed at 129% - and we've got three full weeks to go :)  I have a secret goal I'd like to make and we'll see if we can effect that.

It's now up to 133%!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »

DR Jane wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion.  I will look at them again.  You can only read on them, right?  If so that would mean I would not have access to the internet at night or if we are traveling.

An ereader like a kindle paperwhite has no internet and is only for reading. It is not a substitute for an ipad or tablet. But it is so much easier on your eyes. I cannot recommend this enough, especially if you get headaches. It is not good for you to read on a tablet.

Keith was asking me why I don't get an HD Fire Kindle.  I prefer checking out books from the library on ePub vs Kindle, plus there seem to be more books available on ePub.  I also prefer reading purchased books on Barnes & Noble vs Kindle.

A kindle fire is a tablet. And is the same for your eyes as an ipad or tablet.

I think that you just got used to using B&N. You are like the only person I know who doesn't use amazon all of the time. I guess it depends what you use it for. But for sales amazon is the best.

What about the nook glow light plus. That looks the most similar to the kindle paperwhite.  For someone who reads almost exclusively on an ereader I would 100% go with an ereader only.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

Quote from: George on August 12, 2019, 05:01:01 PM
Jane, most (if not all) e-readers like the Kindle can access the internet.  You can't add apps like the Kindle Fire (it's more of a tablet with the shiny screen) or other tablets, but you can order books through the Kindles.

You can buy books on amazon. But IMO a kindle paperwhite is not meant for internet browsing. It is not a tablet. And is meant for only reading. I kindle fire is a tablet, and you can get apps and do everything on the internet. But it's a tablet and therefore the advantages on your eyes would be gone.

DR Jane wrote:
Can I download the books with ePub on Overdrive? 

It sounds like I would not have Goodreads or Facebook but might get HHW.

I would not get a kindle paperwhite expecting to be able to use the internet. It is really an ereader only. And while there may be a backway in to be able to technically do a bit on the internet it is meant only for reading. But you will be able to read at night, outside, and it is so comfortable on your eyes. I would personally never use a phone, tablet, ipad for reading when there is this option.

George

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »

Quote from: George on August 12, 2019, 05:01:01 PM
Jane, most (if not all) e-readers like the Kindle can access the internet.  You can't add apps like the Kindle Fire (it's more of a tablet with the shiny screen) or other tablets, but you can order books through the Kindles.

You can buy books on amazon. But IMO a kindle paperwhite is not meant for internet browsing. It is not a tablet. And is meant for only reading. I kindle fire is a tablet, and you can get apps and do everything on the internet. But it's a tablet and therefore the advantages on your eyes would be gone.

DR Jane wrote:
Can I download the books with ePub on Overdrive? 

It sounds like I would not have Goodreads or Facebook but might get HHW.

I would not get a kindle paperwhite expecting to be able to use the internet. It is really an ereader only. And while there may be a backway in to be able to technically do a bit on the internet it is meant only for reading. But you will be able to read at night, outside, and it is so comfortable on your eyes. I would personally never use a phone, tablet, ipad for reading when there is this option.

The earlier Kindles that I have, have an "experimental" browser, but it's slow and cumbersome.  In an pinch, it's an option.  But you're right, e-readers are meant for reading.  I do recommend them.  I've only used my phone or tablets for sit-down reading a couple of times and really don't like it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »

I am home from the reading, which I felt was overproduced and underrehearsed.  It was nice to be out and about for a change, and I saw a few friends there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »

The cats are fed and Annabelle wants my attention.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:39 PM »

The only books I've read on a screen have been Kindle editions on the iPad. I don't read enough books on a device to warrant acquiring anything else. I keep it set to white text on black background which is way more pleasing to my eyes in pretty much any lighting situation. A dark background has always been my preference, in general, in many applications.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »

I like to think the cats and I have a good rapport.  Annabelle is very good about letting me know when she requires my assistance, such as wanting to get warm snuggling under my blankets.  Just now, after she let me know she needed my help, I checked her nose, and her right nostril was clogged.  I needed to take her into the bathroom and wash it out with a cotton ball and warm water.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »

I was given a kindle, which I never wanted and never use.  I don't like them.  I want to hold a book.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  I'm back from a noon book talk at the public library in Hamilton.  Today's topic was The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the 1986 fire at the Los Angeles Public Library.  Any DRs remember that?

I barely recall the fire as we were not living in LA at the time.  In November I mentioned I was reading the book.  Did you read it or just go to the talk about it?

Jane

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 12:57:07 PM »

I have never seen it

Maybe it is time to correct this oversight ;)

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »

Which is why I asked for a photo of the parking.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »

123%! 
Interestingly, the Levi campaign closed at 124%, and A Carol Christmas closed at 129% - and we've got three full weeks to go :)  I have a secret goal I'd like to make and we'll see if we can effect that.

It's now up to 133%!! :D

Yay! 

Jane

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »

DR Jane wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion.  I will look at them again.  You can only read on them, right?  If so that would mean I would not have access to the internet at night or if we are traveling.

An ereader like a kindle paperwhite has no internet and is only for reading. It is not a substitute for an ipad or tablet. But it is so much easier on your eyes. I cannot recommend this enough, especially if you get headaches. It is not good for you to read on a tablet.

Keith was asking me why I don't get an HD Fire Kindle.  I prefer checking out books from the library on ePub vs Kindle, plus there seem to be more books available on ePub.  I also prefer reading purchased books on Barnes & Noble vs Kindle.

A kindle fire is a tablet. And is the same for your eyes as an ipad or tablet.

I think that you just got used to using B&N. You are like the only person I know who doesn't use amazon all of the time. I guess it depends what you use it for. But for sales amazon is the best.

What about the nook glow light plus. That looks the most similar to the kindle paperwhite.  For someone who reads almost exclusively on an ereader I would 100% go with an ereader only.

Thank you for your response.  I have been thinking about checking out the Nook options again.  I haven't been to a Barnes and Noble store since we moved here or I would have looked at them by now.

I am not one who like change so I spent a good amount of time playing with my options, amazon vs B&N and it really is that I prefer the one over the other vs that I am just used to B&N.  I would probably switch to an iPad and get used to it, if only I didn't dislike the keyboard.

It does make sense for me to have a separate ereader, but what a pain to have a tablet & an ereader, especially when traveling. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up