Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: UNSEEMLY BUTTOCKS  (Read 20227 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:UNSEEMLY BUTTOCKS
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »

To answer DR Joey's question from last night, I LOVED the movie FARGO. I thought the characters were marvelous and memorable, much of it was very funny, but the parts that were suspenseful were very effective. It and OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU are my favorite Coen Brothers' films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2005, 08:08:19 AM »

Yep, DR Michael Shayne, I've seen MOON OVER BROADWAY. I have it on DVD. Honestly, I didn't remember them bad-mouthing Carol Burnett on it. I guess I need to re-watch it. I remember that the author (Ken Ludwig) looked pretty bad for not being able to come up with jokes on command. Frankly, I didn't think anyone came off looking particularly good in the project.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2005, 08:10:08 AM »

BTW, DR Michael, another film that bursts from an HDTV is GALAXY QUEST, and the sound is wonderful, too.

And just about any animated film looks wonderful - THE LION KING, for example.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2005, 09:01:34 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm topic of the day.  We get to choose.  MR BK does six a week and we get one day....so we need some topics....hmmmmmmm

What is your favorite Jules Verne and H.G. Wells novel and which of the movies made from them all is your favorite?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2005, 09:14:49 AM »

Interesting times, here in the Pacific Northwest.  First of all, I should point out, we continue to experience the blue skies and warm temperatures that have replaced our usual rain, cold, and gray skies this winter.  Many folks in this neck of the woods, already believe that we are heading for either Armageddon; or at the very least, a record drought.   Last night, within a few minutes time, we experienced an earthquake in this region; followed ten minutes later by the fiery meteorite that streaked across the skies; followed sixty seconds later by a major power failure in several areas of Seattle.  Very strange.

It was rather funny to see this poor young television reporter standing on the darkened streets of Seattle calmly assuring the home viewers (and more importantly, himself) over and over, “There is no connection between these events.  There is no connection…………

So, topic for discussion, has anyone ever experienced a chain of events (either good or bad) so strange that you almost believed there were greater forces at work?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2005, 09:21:47 AM »

Hi all!  Just popping by for a moment—I have some errands to run this afternoon.  I was too tired to go shopping yesterday.

20000 Leagues Under the Sea would be one of my favorite books/movies.  The Invisible Man is another.

Looking forward to the suprise on Saturday night!   :D

I hope the puppies and their Mama find wonderful homes.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2005, 09:33:30 AM »

Too bad about Ron Raines.

But some others from the Bruce Kimmel Rep Players who recorded multiple albums are:

Gregg Edelman
Jonathan Freeman
Davis Gaines
David Green
Brian D'arcy James
James Ludwig
Michael Rupert
Sal Viviano
Lee Wilkoff
Walter Willison
Jason Workman

Any chance Harry Groener or Jason Graae are in the NYC area?

Would Guy Haines sing at the Drama Book Shop if he did it with his back to the audience?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2005, 09:34:43 AM »

Thanks for all the wonderful dvd suggestion. I went with the Lord of the Rings saga.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2005, 09:46:14 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Boy did I sleep and boy did I need it.  But my pal Nick will be here any minute and I must ready myself.  But, might I just say THIRTY-SEVEN posts????

FLIBBITIGIBBIT! (The approved haineshisway.com spelling)

Now, let's get some topics and postings goin' on.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »

I just read a little note from restorer/historuian Robert Harris saying that it would have cost Warners six figures to clean up LIBELED LADY. I'm sure they figured it just wouldn't be financially logical to spend that much on the film. However, the concensus seems to be that all of the other films in the boxed set are wonderful transfers that are in much better shape than LIBELED LADY. That was a relief to read. I guess I'll tackle BRINGING UP BABY next.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2005, 10:48:21 AM »

TCB -  I was at the opera in Seattle when the lights went out.  They were quick to catch it, it only stayed dark for a few seconds.  The subtitles reader board took a bit longer to come back, though.  During the Sorpano's Act ! aria, we had no idea what she was saying.  Amazing, though, that the orchestra and singers didn't miss a beat.  
I didn't know about the meteor and the earthquake until I got home and watched the news.  

If it makes you feel any better, the weatherman says that our weather is supposed to get a bit more normal in the coming weeks.  Still gonna be a bad drought, though.

Tomovoz

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2005, 11:29:11 AM »

H.G.Wells "The Time Machine" Liked the story and the Rod Taylor film version. The newer version has some interesting ideas but for me the Jeremy Irons sequence does not work at all.
Jules Verne: 20.000 Leaugues Under The Sea

Despite it's failuts, I still have a fondness for the Pat Boone "Journey To the Centre Of The Earth"

TCB's topic.. More thought needed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2005, 11:36:01 AM »

But before I go...how do you solve a problem like Maria?? ;)
I usually use long division.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

More thought given. I do believe that certain  people enter our lives at the right times. It may be because we are subconsciously sending out messages for our emotional needs to be filled, but time and again the "right" person appears. Hopefully, it is a coincidence of needs.

Droughts, floods, Earthquakes, fires, George Bush, John Howard - the loss of compassion in society - now to find the connection.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2005, 11:42:36 AM »

Interesting Seattle Convergence of events.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2005, 11:44:53 AM »

DR SWoody -- are you going to keep Peggy and the pups? Or if you adopt them out, are you responsible for finding them homes? Or does the shelter take them back and put them up for adoption? (When we fostered, the shelters took them back -- we didn't need to find homes.)
We'll be keeping Peggy and the pups for a while, making sure they get socialized properly.  And housetrained!

The goal is to adopt them out.  We simply can't keep every dog that needs a home.  The local SPCA is NOT a solution in our area; their mission is animal control, not animal placement, which roughly translates to catch 'em and dispatch 'em.  Fortunately, the Animal Rescue group we're associated with is based on the placement philosophy, so they'll be helping as much as they can in finding homes for the crew.  The problem is, there are more dogs in southern Delaware than people that can/will provide good homes.  We may have to take Peggy and family farther afield to find them their next homes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 11:45:56 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »

To answer DR Joey's question from last night, I LOVED the movie FARGO. I thought the characters were marvelous and memorable, much of it was very funny, but the parts that were suspenseful were very effective. It and OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU are my favorite Coen Brothers' films.

We're actually betting on the same horse in this race for a change! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2005, 11:53:50 AM »

It was rather funny to see this poor young television reporter standing on the darkened streets of Seattle calmly assuring the home viewers (and more importantly, himself) over and over, “There is no connection between these events.  There is no connection…………

Oh yes, the newscasts were quite entertaining, indeed.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »

The SPCA operated shelter has washed their hands of the animals - it was their intent to destroy them, and our Animal Rescue League (ARL) came to their aid. It was ARLs intent to ship them off to some other rescue that had their own shelter accommodations, but so far no takers. We're stuck with them until "someone" finds them homes.

I complicated the issue when I said that I did not think it would be good for the animals to go back to a "shelter" environment - they have learned to be "family" and re-kenneling would not be a good idea (particularly not for the pups who need regular daily animal/human contact if they are to mature into social critters. Considering the bad rep pit bulls have, our ability to give personal testimony as to their socialbilty is important. When the weather warms and we can take them for strolls along the boardwalk or off to cafe patios for drinks , maybe we'll find some "takers".

der Brucer
All right, what he said.  

Nice to know we both agree on what we're doing, though.  We've met so many couples where one partner gets involved in something, and the other partner doesn't even care to stand by involved partner's side when he/she needs some backup.  Bleh.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »

Watching ROSEMARY'S BABY which I haven't seen since its original release....actually sometime later since it was at the drive in where I saw it - on a double bill with THE ODD COUPLE.

Creepy stuff.
Could you be more specific about what's creepy?  Ruth Gordon?  Rosemary's nightmare?  Tony Randall?

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2005, 12:02:14 PM »

Thanks to the the kindness of DR Laura (due to a conflict in her schedule), she presented me with tickets to a Rodgers and Hart revue, so a friend and I shall be attending.  It will be a nice break from the roofers who are pounding over my head as I speak.  OY!!!!!!!
Unlike Bruce, I haven't been swimming lately (the water is not quite warm enough yet), so my buttocks would be extremely unseemly in a Speedo right now. :o

I am still woefully behind on reading the posts of the last few days and answering e-mails.  Another OY!
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2005, 12:24:18 PM »

BK, perhaps you could shanghai Paul Haber to sing the sexy man song? Of course any song that Paul Haber sings would be a sexy man song.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2005, 12:25:48 PM »

Does Paul Haber ever attend the RAY COURTS SHOW? Just wondering. Of course that would in now way influence whether or not I go down in April.  ::)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

Dear Dogs and Cats,

When I say to move, it means go someplace else, not
switch positions with each other so there are still
two of you in the way.

The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain
your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my
food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle
of my plate of food does not stake a claim for it
becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that
aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a
racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object.
Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than
you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king size bed. I
am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue
to sleep on the couch to ensure your comfort. Look at
videos of dogs and cats sleeping. They can actually
curl up in a ball. It is not necessary to sleep
perpendicular to each other stretched out to the
fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking
tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the
other end to maximize space used is nothing but
sarcasm.

My compact discs are not miniature Frisbees.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the
bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and
manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to
claw, whine, meow, and try to turn the knob, or get
your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open.
I must exit through the same door I entered. In
addition, I have been using the bathroom for years -
canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.

The proper order is kissing me, then go smell the
other dogs or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.
It would be such a simple change for you.

To pacify you, I have posted the following message on
our front door.....

Rules for Non-pet owners who visit and like to
complain about our pets:

1. They live here. You don't.

2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay
off the furniture.

3. I like my pet better than I like most people.

4. To you it's an animal. To me he/she is an adopted
son/daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours
and doesn't speak clearly.

5. Dogs and cats are better than kids. They eat less,
don't ask for money all the time, and are easier to
train. They usually come when called, never drive your
car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't
drink or smoke, don't worry about buying the latest
fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a
gazillion dollars for college, and if they get
pregnant, you can sell the results.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »

I'm watching Delores Claiborne. It's always been one of my favorites

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2005, 01:23:53 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed BRINGING UP BABY. Looked just fine, and I laughed a lot. Glad to have it at long last. Put in SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN to watch tonight before COLD CASE comes on.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2005, 01:32:23 PM »

H.G.Wells "The Time Machine" Liked the story and the Rod Taylor film version. The newer version has some interesting ideas but for me the Jeremy Irons sequence does not work at all.
Jules Verne: 20.000 Leaugues Under The Sea

Despite it's failuts, I still have a fondness for the Pat Boone "Journey To the Centre Of The Earth"

Ditto!

Honorable mention for the original "Around the World in 80 Days" and A. C. Doyle's channeling of Verne for "The Lost World".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2005, 01:42:36 PM »

Oh yes, the newscasts were quite entertaining, indeed.

And they picked up great sound bites:

"It was like a big ball of fire," said Summer Jensen

(From the AP - not their finest hour!)

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »

Dear Dogs and Cats,

<SNIP>

I personally don't own a pet (for the time being), but my housemate has a cat, my sister has a cat and a dog, and three of my four co-workers have multiple pets.  I know that they will all love this!  Thanks for sharing. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2005, 01:54:37 PM »

As for the End of the World starting in the Northwest, I didn't turn on any news last night or even the TV this morning (actually, afternoon...I didn't get out of bed until noon-ish ::) ), so I didn't know anything about it all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up