Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN LIVING COLOR  (Read 3704 times)

Michael

Re: IN LIVING COLOR
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2019, 05:17:08 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2019, 05:21:19 AM »

We got our first TV, a Muntz, when I was a year old or maybe slightly later. So, around 1951. There might still be a snapshot that shows it. I'm not sure how long that one lasted, but my next solid memory of one is around 1960. That one was still black & white but it was our first with a remote control. I believe we had that till I left for school in 1967, and they finally got their first color one around 1970. We were definitely latecomers on the color. And as much as everyone was enjoying having color, I remember thinking even then that the color itself left a LOT to be desired, which could have been as much the fault of the owners as the system itself then.

Michael

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 05:23:26 AM »

My grandparents got a color television set before we did.  Are used to go to their home on Friday night stay over and watch Saturday morning cartoons in color. And then I go home around noon time. I did this for years before We got a color TV at home.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »

I saw my first TV around 1949-50 while we still lived with my grandmother on Tenth Avenue.  I remember all of us sitting in a darkened room watching this small, glowing screen.  When we moved to Goldman Avenue around 1950-51, my earliest memories of television - besides Milton Berle, Ed Wynn, and Kukla, Fran & Ollie - are the sounds of my grandmother watching late night wrestling matches and the Gillette commercial music, which carried into my bedroom.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »

My parents did not get a color TV until the late autumn of 1965.  I first saw it when I was home for Christmas break from my sophomore year.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:42:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2019, 05:42:08 AM »

I need to finish dressing, make the bed, and clean the dishes and the litter.  I'd like to leave around 9:30.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2019, 06:01:24 AM »

There’s no question I’ve forgotten more of our childhood shows than I remember, but:  Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, Howdy Doody, and Mickey Mouse Club later on. But there were local (Columbus) shows, too, and I should research that.

Edit:  Ding Dong School, with Miss Frances!

Earliest evening shows:  Jack Benny and probably other comedy/variety shows, Amos & Andy, I Love Lucy, Honeymooners.

A few years later in the mid-1950s it exploded, with sitcoms and detective shows and everything else, but these are my earliest memories. I’m sorry to say I didn’t get into westerns then.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:10:28 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »

Once I make the bed, I will lie down for a few minutes before heading out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »

DR ELMORE - Tizanidine sounds like something Peter Graves would use in a Bert I. Gordon movie to kill giant grasshoppers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 06:36:34 AM »

Our first television was a Motorola cabinet style that had doors that would close....very small screen.

This was 1952 or 1953.  I remember watching Santa Claus and some things with music.  We got our bigger set - a Zenith a couple of years later.

This was 1955 the year the Mickey Mouse Club started....also watched Superman and Rocky Jones.....and my favorite I Love Lucy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2019, 06:37:07 AM »

Don't remember when we got color tv....but we did see Batman so it must have been 1965 or so.....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »

Vibes for DC Nicky & DR TCB!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »

I also remember Ed Wynn and Kukla, Fran and Ollie.

Also, Howdy Doody.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »

In Seattle, we also had a local show that ran a B cowboy movie, spread over a  5 day week.

It was hosted by Texas Jim Lewis, who had done movies back in the 1930s & 1940s.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »

I was always disappointed when I went to the movies - and the movie wasn't in color......like The Shaggy Dog....

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  It was another early morning for us, because we went to a naturalization ceremony for 99 new citizens from 47 countries.  It was held on the quad at Miami University-Hamilton on this glorious Constitution Day.  The Men’s Glee Club sang the National Anthem and several other selections.  We were home by noon and I’m ready for a nap.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »

TOD - my father adamantly refused to buy a TV until he came home from work one day to find my sister at one neighbor’s house watching American Bandstand and me at another watching The Mickey Mouse Club.  He said to my mom, “Well, if we want to see our girls I guess we’ll have to have a TV!”  Guess who watched it the most...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »

TOD - my father adamantly refused to buy a TV until he came home from work one day to find my sister at one neighbor’s house watching American Bandstand and me at another watching The Mickey Mouse Club.  He said to my mom, “Well, if we want to see our girls I guess we’ll have to have a TV!”  Guess who watched it the most...

;D

Jane

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »

I was two when my parents got our first tv.  I don't recall what I watched on it.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »

Just before I turned 4 we moved into our new home.  My father had a custom tv closet built in our den.  On one side was a regular storage closet & across from the access to the back of the tv for installing & repairing tvs.  It looked very nice from the front & had doors to cover the tv.  I have no recollection of when that became a color tv.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »

In that den was also our phone with the party line that was entertaining at times.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »

It's raining in Tumwater!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  It was another early morning for us, because we went to a naturalization ceremony for 99 new citizens from 47 countries.  It was held on the quad at Miami University-Hamilton on this glorious Constitution Day.  The Men’s Glee Club sang the National Anthem and several other selections.  We were home by noon and I’m ready for a nap.

That's pretty cool, Ginny!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »

George

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »

I never thought about her first name and if it was her real name, but I just saw on her Wikipedia page that her real full name was Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Roberts (née Boggs).  Now, that's a mouthful! :D

George

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2019, 11:17:10 AM »

Yikes!  Someone's planning on a reboot of a reboot! :o

'Battlestar Galactica' Reboot From Sam Esmail in the Works at NBCU's Streamer.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »

I am home from City Center.  I am quite sleepy and ready for a nap.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »

I never thought about her first name and if it was her real name, but I just saw on her Wikipedia page that her real full name was Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Roberts (née Boggs).  Now, that's a mouthful! :D

I also thought it was her real name.  It made her memorable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - about eight-and-a-half hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »

I printed out a lyric before bed - oh, well.  I brought it to the piano, read it, a tune hit me immediately and I just wrote it so fast, but then spent two hours finessing it and recording.  So, in bed at four.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up