Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES BACKWARDS  (Read 4751 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: NOTES BACKWARDS
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »

Travel vibes for John G , enjoy your well earned vacation
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »

Just had a performer drop out of the What If revue - annoying - Doug's daughter, who I put in it because she's a Group Rep member - now I have to scramble to find someone - it's really the Tammy Minoff track from years ago, so I'll go younger than Hartley and hopefully someone younger won't have learning problems because it's a lot to learn.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

T.O.D.

When I was growing up, I wasn't really interested in learning to play a musical instrument.

My mother wanted me to learn something, so I was given piano lessons, then accordion lessons.

:(

When I grew up and was in my early 40s, I bought myself an organ; learned to play it myself.

I wasn't good enough to play concerts, but I enjoyed playing it.

When we lived in Colorado and I was maybe 7 or so years old, my parents got me accordion lessons.  I remember having private lessons and group lessons, too.  I think I only lasted a year. ::) After we moved here to Washington, I took piano lesons for a few years in middle and early high school, then a couple of years as a student at the two year college I attended.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »

T.O.D.

When I was growing up, I wasn't really interested in learning to play a musical instrument.

My mother wanted me to learn something, so I was given piano lessons, then accordion lessons.

:(

When I grew up and was in my early 40s, I bought myself an organ; learned to play it myself.

I wasn't good enough to play concerts, but I enjoyed playing it.

Accordion lessons. Wasn’t that a punchline in My Favorite Year?

I kinda would like to learn the accordion.

Yes, it was a punchline. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2019, 05:19:56 PM »

Although my suspicion of constipation was wrong, I believe the X-ray that put me into overdraft was necessary, and Annabelle further paid me back for the torture she went throug at the vet by leaving me an appalling, stinky mess in the litter box this morning.

~~~Continued Vibes for Both Annabelle and Larry!!~~~

George

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »

I did get a job offer this week: an overture of holiday songs for my friend Martin Yates' pops holiday concerts.

Congrats, Larry! :D

George

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - have actually been up since six - three hours of sleep.  Sami's mom was texting me and that woke me up.  Sami opened in her off-B'way show last night.  I will have much more to say about the show and what kind of experience it was (hint: not good, which I sensed when the "director" called me for a recommendation for Sami), and how amateur theater gets to call itself off-B'way.

Oh, my!  Can't wait to read about it. :-\

George

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »

My friend Kim Criswell just left.  She loved the cats and the cats loved her.  DR George, she says howdy.

Thanks, Larry! :-*

George

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »

I have heard the CD but I have never seen the show....we shall see what we shall see.

I certainly enjoy listening to the music.  There are about half dozen performers from SISTER ACT in the show that I will enjoy seeing again.

I hope it's good, Jrand.  I love the CD!

George

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »

My sister Molly and I will be on our way in a bit to see A Gentleman's Guide to Murder at Ye Olde DePauw University.

There is a Theatre Alumni Pre Party that we will attend for a bit....we won't get there until about one half hour after it starts, so hopefully there will be some wine left.....

that should be fun. I actually liked the show more than merely listening to the cast album.

That's encouraging.

George

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »

Just got the call I was hoping to get.  When I was asked to direct The Man Who Came to Dinner it came with a caveat: I had to accept an actor in the leading role.  I was then told it was one of these LA critics.  I said okay, despite that.  Said critic assured me one YEAR ago that he was starting to learn the play then so he would be letter-perfect at our first rehearsal, so that gave me some comfort, even though I had other concerns.  He's a very "big" fellow, if you get my meaning, has trouble walking, etc.  Anyway, he came to our callbacks last week to read with people and announced to me that he'd JUST started looking at the play.  Obviously that look me aback and yes his nose was in his script for all the sides he read.  THAT is why we had this table reading last night because Doug and I felt that we had no confidence that he could learn this part and give a performance that would be acceptable, because even in the callbacks he was completely unfunny.

So, the artistic directors, who'd made this decision in the first place, made the reading happen so they could assess the situation and assessing it was easy.  The gentleman did not know one single line, his nose was in his script, he misread almost every line and - it wasn't funny, although the writing is so strong there were a few laughs despite that.  I couldn't imagine an actor having to actually play a scene with this fellow, nice a guy as he is.  He was also reading the character in a very one-note way and I felt that was never going to change and I felt strongly that the audience would hate him and the character.

So, the artistic director drove the guy home last night (that's another thing - no transportation) and told him he was really uncomfortable because the fellow had promised he was starting to learn this a year ago, and that he was not confident he could learn this in time to be directed and give a good performance.  Excuses followed, of course, and assurances and that's how it was left.  I spoke to the artistic director and got that part of the story this morning.  It was left that the theater would provide someone to read lines with him this coming week and then the artistic director would go there and hear what was what and make a determination then.

But the fellow just called him and after a sleepless night decided we were all correct in our assumptions and that he, too, was now nervous about getting the show in his bones and was withdrawing in  the best interests of all concerned, which is exactly the outcome we were all hoping for.  Now, I have to find someone great to do it and I am on that path right now.

Wow.  It's great that the actor realized his inadequacies before it was too late.

~~~Re-Casting Vibes for BK!!~~~

George

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »

DR George, who doesn't like seafood!?!?!?!

I'm not the only one!  I know several people who don't like it, either.

George

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2019, 05:47:11 PM »

Just had a performer drop out of the What If revue - annoying - Doug's daughter, who I put in it because she's a Group Rep member - now I have to scramble to find someone - it's really the Tammy Minoff track from years ago, so I'll go younger than Hartley and hopefully someone younger won't have learning problems because it's a lot to learn.

~~~Additional Re-Casting Vibes for BK!!~~~

George

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2019, 05:57:53 PM »

Well, I need to be going. I'm heading to Tacoma to see Calendar Girls.  I also need to leave earlier to allow for the construction of the new diverging diamond that's being constructed in the Hawk's Prairie area of Lacey.  Here's a local news report from last week:  Marvin Road overpass to close starting Friday for reconstruction

George

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »

Here's what it's eventually going to look like:

George

« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »

Be back later!

vixmom

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »

Bk do you have someone waiting in the wings for the lead?

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »

DR George, who doesn't like seafood!?!?!?!

I'm not the only one!  I know several people who don't like it, either.

I am not a fan with a few specific exceptions

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »

I heard on the local news that yesterday  morning a man left his 8year old daughter in his 2007 Honda Accord while popping into the 7 eleven and came out to find his car and daughter gone

vixmom

« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »

The child was later found in the parking lot of a bagel shop  2 towns away

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »

The parking lot videos collected images of a guy leaving a red van and jumping into the car and taking off

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »

This was in broad daylight in the parking lot next door to my church, a mile from my house

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »

Happy birthday, John G!  And you get a birthday weekend too!

Wishing family health vibes to you, too.

Thanks, Fred.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »

Just got the call I was hoping to get.  When I was asked to direct The Man Who Came to Dinner it came with a caveat: I had to accept an actor in the leading role.  I was then told it was one of these LA critics.  I said okay, despite that.  Said critic assured me one YEAR ago that he was starting to learn the play then so he would be letter-perfect at our first rehearsal, so that gave me some comfort, even though I had other concerns.  He's a very "big" fellow, if you get my meaning, has trouble walking, etc.  Anyway, he came to our callbacks last week to read with people and announced to me that he'd JUST started looking at the play.  Obviously that look me aback and yes his nose was in his script for all the sides he read.  THAT is why we had this table reading last night because Doug and I felt that we had no confidence that he could learn this part and give a performance that would be acceptable, because even in the callbacks he was completely unfunny.

So, the artistic directors, who'd made this decision in the first place, made the reading happen so they could assess the situation and assessing it was easy.  The gentleman did not know one single line, his nose was in his script, he misread almost every line and - it wasn't funny, although the writing is so strong there were a few laughs despite that.  I couldn't imagine an actor having to actually play a scene with this fellow, nice a guy as he is.  He was also reading the character in a very one-note way and I felt that was never going to change and I felt strongly that the audience would hate him and the character.

So, the artistic director drove the guy home last night (that's another thing - no transportation) and told him he was really uncomfortable because the fellow had promised he was starting to learn this a year ago, and that he was not confident he could learn this in time to be directed and give a good performance.  Excuses followed, of course, and assurances and that's how it was left.  I spoke to the artistic director and got that part of the story this morning.  It was left that the theater would provide someone to read lines with him this coming week and then the artistic director would go there and hear what was what and make a determination then.

But the fellow just called him and after a sleepless night decided we were all correct in our assumptions and that he, too, was now nervous about getting the show in his bones and was withdrawing in  the best interests of all concerned, which is exactly the outcome we were all hoping for.  Now, I have to find someone great to do it and I am on that path right now.

I love THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

My High School in Seattle did it during my Junior year.

But, if you don't have a "Sheridan Whiteside," you don't have a play.

I hope you find a good one.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »

Casting vibes. What a horror story.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR JohnG!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Jennifer!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »

Happy Birthday to John G!!

Hope you're having a great day!

It’s been a wonderful day!  Thank you, Jeanne.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2019, 09:01:45 PM »

When JB goes to Tweet Suites does he enjoy any extracurricular activities? Socializing with other birds, that sort of thing?

He does not play well with others. Except humans. And only me if I’m around.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »

BK, are you going to use the song Cole Porter wrote for The Man Who Came to Dinner? I think you should include the title song from Sherry! but nothing else from that show.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:24 PM »

I just got out of the show and it was great!  Now, I get to drive all the way back to Tumwater!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up