Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FINNISH LINE  (Read 3588 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE FINNISH LINE
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »

3hree!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »

Vibes for all.

TTFN.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the Village-to-Village Network I learned about yesterday. There are about 300 of these across the country, volunteer organizations to help seniors with rides or minor handyman chores. They require a year's membership, but offer up to 18 rides per month, much cheaper they say than Uber or Lyft.

www.vtvnetwork.org

It would be lovely if Larry's inheritance could cover something like this.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »

Jane, the cousins you visited in England live there and you also had FB friends from the US there, too?

There is the one cousin that lives on the Isle of Man.  She and her husband were vacationing in Lancaster where we met. 

After my mother died I wrote her mother, my mother's favorite aunt, to tell her.  My aunt & I wrote a few times and then my cousin wrote to tell me that my aunt had passed away.  We occasionally wrote over the years and then Keith & I went to the Isle of Man to meet the family there.  It was very nice to see them. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2019, 04:59:19 PM »

In London we met Bernese Mountain Dog facebook friends we talk with regularly on facebook.  One flew in from Canada & the couple took the train and spent several days in London with us.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

The family that drove over an hour to meet us in York are also good Bernese Mountain Dog friends, even the now 18 year old daughter. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »

Woke up at noon and literally every time I tried to come to this here site, the phone rang or I had to deal with e-mails or work at the piano, then get packages and no important envelope, and then I got some fresh crab and shrimp for food - almost no calories, so I can have a nice snack later - then more phone, more e-mails and finally...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »

Here I am.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »

Also a friend from high school, elementary & jr high for Keith, drove an hour to meet us for lunch. She lives in the US but was staying with a sister who lives in England.  Up until a few years ago she didn't even know she had a sister.  It is great they have become close.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »

Oy and vey.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »

I haven't had a second to myself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »

And now myself needs a second so I'm listening to music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »

Why are we on this damn page?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »

Barely on this page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »

Unseemly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 05:05:13 PM »

I gotta tell you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2019, 05:08:39 PM »

CONTINUED MEGA VIBES for Larry!

Thanks!  I've been expecting a check from the estate of my late friend Bob Ullman, since I'm one of around 20 or so beneficiaries.  It was a complete surprise to learn that, but I could sure use it right now.

So nice to be remembered. Do you have any idea when it'll arrive?

Soon, I hope!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the couple we met outside of London.  We met them through Keith's genealogy research.  He found the person who found my missing grandfather, unfortunately not alive.  We believe we are related through my father's side of the family but can't prove it.  For some odd reason he doesn't want to do DNA testing to find out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »

I've sketched out the fugue, and I'll finesse it when I commit it to paper.  And it's time to curl up with the kitties and watch some telly before going to bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »

Then, there is the couple that drove us around for two full days.  We met my cousin Jane through Keith's research.  Jane is my 3rd cousin. Though she is younger than I am my great grandparents are her great, great grandparents.  Through them is where she comes into my family tree.  It was exciting & emotional exploring our history together.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:35:16 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »

I did some banking, filled the motor car with gasoline, and finally remembered to pick up my prescriptions that had been at CVS since August.

Of course they had to do them all over again....which was my fault.

August?? :o Didn't you need the prescriptions?

My thoughts as well.

Also, now that it can be automated, pharmacies usually call if a reminder to pick up your prescriptions before they are returned.

I manually order my meds (not automated) when I'm almost out, but they're sent to me through the mail.  I don't have to go anywhere to pick them up.

I like to keep a bit ahead of the game and have a month of extra meds, just in case there is a hold-up getting the renewal.  I have had that happen.

George

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »

Also a friend from high school, elementary & jr high for Keith, drove an hour to meet us for lunch. She lives in the US but was staying with a sister who lives in England.  Up until a few years ago she didn't even know she had a sister.  It is great they have become close.

That's cool...and kind of sad that she didn't know that she had a sister after all this time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2019, 05:26:03 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the Village-to-Village Network I learned about yesterday. There are about 300 of these across the country, volunteer organizations to help seniors with rides or minor handyman chores. They require a year's membership, but offer up to 18 rides per month, much cheaper they say than Uber or Lyft.

www.vtvnetwork.org

It would be lovely if Larry's inheritance could cover something like this.

Keith's mother had something similar, only it was coupons for discounted taxi rides. 

Jane

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »

If Uber had been around Keith could have ordered it, and paid for it, when she needed a ride.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2019, 05:30:23 PM »

DR Jeanne I wish you could have followed Keith's blog on fb.  This is what he wrote on our last day of touring with my cousin Jane & her husband.

"At the end of the 18th century, Lancashire was developing into a center for the spinning and weaving of cotton fiber into fabric. Ultimately, it became the hub of the English cotton industry and the apex of the English industrial revolution. My 4th great-grandparents, James Ormrod (1770-1825) and Ann Woods (1768-1814), were borne into the Lancashire households of a miller and a house servant, respectively. Humble beginnings. When James passed at the age of 58, he and his partners controlled numerous Lancashire cotton mills and the first commercial bank of Bolton—the latter now part of the Royal Bank of Scotland. James and Ann’s offspring maintained and grew the businesses they inherited and by the end of the 19th century, the family’s combined fortunes totaled approximately £1.5 million pounds—equivalent to about $200 million US dollars today. Walking through the town of Bolton, seeing their estates and the results of their charities, was fascinating. My own family version of Downton Abbey!"

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »

Wyresdale Hall built in 1856.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »

That's cool...and kind of sad that she didn't know that she had a sister after all this time.

She was rather shocked when she found out.  Her older sister knew about her.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »

CONTINUED MEGA VIBES for Larry!

Thanks!  I've been expecting a check from the estate of my late friend Bob Ullman, since I'm one of around 20 or so beneficiaries.  It was a complete surprise to learn that, but I could sure use it right now.

So nice to be remembered. Do you have any idea when it'll arrive?

Soon, I hope!

Fingers crossed!  Sometimes an inheritance can take awhile before it sent.

George

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »

I did some banking, filled the motor car with gasoline, and finally remembered to pick up my prescriptions that had been at CVS since August.

Of course they had to do them all over again....which was my fault.

August?? :o Didn't you need the prescriptions?

My thoughts as well.

Also, now that it can be automated, pharmacies usually call if a reminder to pick up your prescriptions before they are returned.

I manually order my meds (not automated) when I'm almost out, but they're sent to me through the mail.  I don't have to go anywhere to pick them up.

I like to keep a bit ahead of the game and have a month of extra meds, just in case there is a hold-up getting the renewal.  I have had that happen.

I have Kaiser, so I don't know how far ahead I can get my meds.  Maybe if I was going to be on an extended vacation, I probably could get some that far ahead, but I'm not planning on that anytime soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up