Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YORK, NEW YORK  (Read 19295 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:NEW YORK, NEW YORK
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2005, 08:54:20 AM »

I saw DEVO in Atlanta when I was in high school, and that was a great show. They were already past their glory days then. Then, last Summer they played in Central Park, and they were still awesome. It rained all day, rained right through the boring opening bands that were really trying to sound cool and detached. Then DEVO starts and the rain stops. They play the last note of their last encore and the skies open raining harder than ever. It was crazy.

I won tickets to a fine Mel Torme show in Toledo. That was a good time.

Rod McKuen at Carnegie Hall a couple years back.

Iron Maiden at the Garden. Surprisingly enjoyable show.

Dottie West at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point, Ind.  My first ever concert!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »

Page 3 Peppermint Twist.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2005, 08:58:36 AM »

I was a bit hacked off last night when I learned that Carrie was in the bottom three.  

Scott and Nikko got more votes than Carrie??? Has the world comPLETEly lost its mind?

Sigh.

That group song last night...supposedly one of three for which we will vote to be released as a single -- was one of THE worst things I've ever heard in my life.  

The orchestra was too loud, the vocals were all BELOW the singers' ranges....they sounded terrible...and when a singer sounds terrible singing a terrible song, what's the POINT?

But capping it off were the solo bits....could Mykalah have BEEN more inept?  Could NOT understand an off-pitch word she brayed.  Sounded like a donkey that had been hit with a cattle prod.

There's something about Bo I detest.  He's ...  he's...SMUG.  They re-aired Simon's comments following Monday's performance...and when Simon said he sounded as if he'd "been doing it for 20 years," Bo's face scrunched up into a look that said, "Yes, I'm so glad you recognize that!"

He's a throwback to the 70s and he's getting tiresome to me.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2005, 08:59:26 AM »

I wish they had Jet Blue from Oregon to California...plane tickets are going up...up...up! A couple of weeks ago a flight from Portland to Burbank was only $159...now it is around $200 :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2005, 09:01:26 AM »

That's the price of 3 DVD's!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2005, 09:01:43 AM »

Hey DR RonP, re: AMERICAN IDOL, you mean JESSICA, not Carrie.

I agree, while I dislike Jessica, I was very surprised that she was in the bottom 3.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »

So, don’t worry, DRElmore, I think I shall have enough clothes to be warm.    If not, there’s always Macy’s.  The only item I do not have are ear muffs—they don’t sell them down here (that I could find) but I did get a nice thick stocking type hat.  It fits over my ears so they should be ok.  I also remembered that I had bought some Tote? (not sure if that’s how you spell it) boots for the last time I was going to be there in March.

Don't worry, according to the last weaqther report I heard we're expecting it to a balmy 46 degrees on Saturday...that's shorts weather!!

and the snow isn't expected until Saturday evening  :)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »

I shall not be traveling as light as our host.  I fear I play my own brand of “What If” and have packed for every contingency.   The big suitcase, the suit bag and the carry on are all coming with me.

But do you have your towel? (A Hitchhikers reference)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2005, 09:08:02 AM »

I saw both Leonard Bernstein and Van Cliburn in concert (separately). Also saw Eugene Ormindy on New Year's Eve at Carnegie Hall. I remember Bernstein have a movie star aura about him, and lots of older women in the audience swooning for him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2005, 09:10:06 AM »

I was going to correct DR Ron as well. It was Jessica, not Carrie, in the bottom three. She's certainly better than some that weren't in the bottom three, but I think Carrie has a ways to go before she appears there.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2005, 09:11:04 AM »

I agree that group song was terrible last night, but the one person who sounded one the mark was (*susprise again) Constantine. I thought he alone did fine with his solo line.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2005, 09:14:24 AM »

MBarnum-
There've been a few others. All of which make Ed Wood look like David Lean. ADDICTED TO MURDER 2, some alien ones, another werewolf one... They range from generally laughable to entirely unwatchable.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2005, 09:16:07 AM »

TOD:

I've seen Fairport Convention several times and their concerts ar always fun, but the best one for me was one November at the Stephen Talkhouse  out in Amagansett on the South Fork of Long Island.

It was a very small and intiment setting and out table was right up against the stages.  The kitchen had been closed for the winter so they allowed you to bring food in form the deli and the pizza parlour next door.  The band shared our nachos and cheese and pizza between songs!

I've never even heard of Fairport Convention.  What kind of music do they play?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2005, 09:16:29 AM »

Concerts:

Sarah Brightman - surprisingly good show, she is funny

I can't believe I forgot this!  I saw her in concert last year with my mom and thought she was very good...my mom didn't like the pop-oriented songs, just the "operatic" ones. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2005, 09:16:36 AM »

I stand corrected...I got the blondes mixed up...oy!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2005, 09:20:01 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2005, 09:20:09 AM »

I saw Tony Bennett at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island in '88 or '89 I think.. He was wonderful.  He put his mike down at one point and sang"I Left My Heart in San Francisoco" without any amplification, amazing the way that man could sing and his voice just filled the place (granted it's a relatively small venue but still!)

I can't believe I forgot this, also!  (Well, since it's happened twice now, maybe I can. ::) )  Anyway, Tony Bennett sang here in Olympia last year and was fabulous!  My sister and I bought tickets for our parents because my dad LOVES Tony Bennett.  Tony also did the same thing of singing "I Left My Heart..." without a microphone.  The Washington Center for the Performing Arts (where he performed) holds almost 1000 people!  He was incredible.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2005, 09:22:14 AM »

I, unlike Ann, have not caught up.  I have been very busy and have missed a few days, so no doubt I am out of the loop (nothing new for me).

TOD:  I saw Billy Joel before he was famous, right after his abortive first album (Cold Spring Harbor) came out.  He played a little club in SLC and I, a budding young pianist, was quite simply blown away.  Sergio Mendes' concerts are always fantastic, especially the percussion break he always features about half-way through.  And, MBarnum, did you know that Berlin's Marietta Waters went to that group after leaving Sergio?  She can be heard on several Sergio discs, and I much prefer her with him than with Berlin.

Re:  Band Wagon.  I watched the doc last night.  Can someone please tell me what is going on with Cyd Charrisse?  Is it a face-lift gone awry?  Or did she have stroke or something?  Her left eye is very peculiar.  Did she also have a nose-job?  She looks nothing like she did in her 50s hey-day.

Re:  Bixby's The Magician (see how far out of the loop I am?).  The show co-starred the wonderful Keene Curtis, Utah native, who was a gentleman and a scholar and also had a long run on the show my sister-in-law was Production Manager for, Cheers.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2005, 09:25:01 AM »

I wish they had Jet Blue from Oregon to California...plane tickets are going up...up...up! A couple of weeks ago a flight from Portland to Burbank was only $159...now it is around $200 :(

Oh, MBarnum, have you not been paying attention?     ;)JetBlue is coming to PDX in a month or two, plus they are having a $99 fare sale to all their destinations!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2005, 09:26:56 AM »

I've never even heard of Fairport Convention.  What kind of music do they play?

They are an English band, folk/rock and they are my very favoritest group. they've been around for about 35 years in many incarnations but I first saw them back in '87 or '88 as an opening act for Jethro Tull, the Fairport bass player, Dave Pegg has also been Tull's bass player for years.  

If you are interested email me yuour address and I'll snede you a CDsampler of some of their stuff.

Also, here is their website:
http://www.fairportconvention.com/

They are well worth seeing in person.  They put on a fantastic show and they also usually do a meet & greet afterwards

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »

Oh, MBarnum, have you not been paying attention?     ;)JetBlue is coming to PDX in a month or two, plus they are having a $99 fare sale to all their destinations!!

I knew they were coming, but just not in time for my trip to Burbank in April :(

But maybe I can then afford to take a trip to New York someday!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2005, 09:41:36 AM »

MBarnum-
There've been a few others. All of which make Ed Wood look like David Lean. ADDICTED TO MURDER 2, some alien ones, another werewolf one... They range from generally laughable to entirely unwatchable.

LOL! Well, they sound like fun. I am trying to find you in the credits on IMDB...but I guess Rodzinski is not your stage name, huh!

I want to rent one that you have a meaty role in!

And Ted V. Mikels is in one of them! Oh, golly...lol...I saw his movie about the man-eating cats...THE CORPSE GRINDERS!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:42:21 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2005, 09:44:43 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I ended up lazing about on the futon this morning.  When I got up to check the time it was 11:58!  Whew!  However, since my next "deadline" is tonight's show at 8:00 - call at 7:30...No rush.

;)

There's some cleaning I want to do around here - dishes, bathroom, etc.  Yes, I know this is not my place, but it's one way I can contribute and say Thanks to Nick and Graham for letting me crash here. *And I also just like having a clean kitchen and bathroom wherever I am.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2005, 09:46:00 AM »

My favorite concert was a Barenaked Ladies concert last year. I didn't expect much, but it was a blast!~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »

DR Hisaka - Thank you for the pics of the Tumi clothing.  Stylish yet Classic.  Very nice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2005, 09:49:25 AM »

More concerts...

Rare Silk and Freddie Hubbard at the Carter Barron Amphitheater in DC, sometime in 1985 or '86, I believe.

Rare Silk at Blues Alley.

Claude Bolling and his trio at Blues Alley a couple of times.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:51:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2005, 09:50:47 AM »

rained all day, rained right through the boring opening bands that were really trying to sound cool and detached. Then DEVO starts and the rain stops. They play the last note of their last encore and the skies open raining harder than ever. It was crazy.

And that is precisely what happens in the film of Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall when Margot arrives at the school soccer game.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2005, 09:53:31 AM »

DR WFO - Great News!  Looking forward to meeting you and DP Joe.

Someone better remember to bring their camera AND to take pictures!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2005, 09:54:16 AM »

TOD:  I saw Billy Joel before he was famous, right after his abortive first album (Cold Spring Harbor) came out.  He played a little club in SLC and I, a budding young pianist, was quite simply blown away.  

I have always wanted to see him.. Since he's a local boy his concerts sellout immediately and it is impossible to get tickets unless you are willing to part with a limb or two

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2005, 09:56:07 AM »

Note to DRs about Jewish Thighs On Broadway...

Penny's show runs about 90 minutes straight thru without intermission.  Basically it is a true "one act" one act play.

So, plan your pre-show liquid consumption accordingly.

;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:57:08 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up