Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WALTZING INTO APRIL  (Read 24853 times)

Ginny

Re:WALTZING INTO APRIL
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2005, 07:36:19 PM »

DR's Ann & Jed - I'm glad to know that we have such articulate people out there scoring those exams!  Enjoy that chocolate cake...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2005, 07:37:25 PM »

Page 9.  Dance?  I can barely talk.  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2005, 07:41:40 PM »

Doctor assisted suicide is most definitely not being litigated in Oregon.  We have voted for it twice.  What is being attempted (first by Herr Ashcroft, who failed miserably and was rebuffed rather vigorously by the 9th Circuit, and now by Congress, though they're encountering difficulty, too) is to have doctors' licenses revoked under some FDA rule for prescribing the drugs that lead to death.  In fact, Senator Wyden specifically fought for and won an amendment to the opportunistic Schiavo bill the Senate passed making it clear it set no precedent for Oregon's Death With Dignity act.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2005, 07:45:10 PM »

Did anybody else catch Jeopardy tonight?  Frances was an answer (under the category "She's Losing Control").
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2005, 08:13:55 PM »

I do love "The Embassy Waltz" from MY FAIR LADY as well. Mancini wrote a quite lovely waltz for THE GREAT RACE where Prince Hapnick waltzes around the ballroom.

Another great waltz was written for the Comos Ball Scene in JEZEBEL. I'm assuming this was by Max Steiner.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »

The girls' outing in NYC sounds great!  Can I come, too?  Seriously, Jane, please let me know when your plans come into focus and I will attempt to make it!

The more the merrier!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2005, 08:16:18 PM »

There was Tony Award winning actor Scott Waara (THE MOST HAPPY FELLA revival) playing a bartender in WITHOUT A TRACE tonight. And Justin Kirk, Emmy nominated star of ANGELS IN AMERICA, played a truck driver in CSI tonight.

vixmom

« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2005, 08:17:22 PM »

DR vixmom - are you feeling better?  

Much thank you.  Two doses of zithromax , one day off of work and some great HHW vibes and I am feeling much  much better.

Matt H.

« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2005, 08:17:25 PM »

bk getting LI'L ABNER makes me excited to know we'll all have our hands on a copy before too long. Will the sound be mono?

Matt H.

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2005, 08:19:19 PM »

The used copy of KING OF KINGS that I ordered on Sunday night came today. Can't believe how fast the mail was this week. KING OF KINGS was mailed from California.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2005, 08:20:05 PM »

BK, does Li'l Abner have any extras?  

I also took a walk on this lovely day...about four miles up into the Hills of Los Feliz...great vistas from downtown to the ocean.  

I also noticed that they have refurbished the infamous Ackermanse where Forry Ackerman until about a year or so ago lived and where Jon Hall lived before him.  I must say they have done a terrific job on it.  

It had gotten a tad dilapidated during Forry's final years of occupancy.  It looked there had not been a new piece of furniture or carpeting in it since the 1970's.  It is a lovely mediterrean home that has been lovingly spruced up.

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2005, 08:21:33 PM »

Oh, one of the disappointments from the Warner chat the other night was leaning that they are not working on THE OPPOSITE SEX for DVD release.

Looks like I'll have to record it from TCM the next time it plays, and then compare it to the laserdisc to see if there's any substantial difference between the two before burning my own copy.

vixmom

« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2005, 08:21:44 PM »

HUZZAH!!! I have won my ebay aution!! Very soon , arriving at my workplace should be a box containing......

wait for it.......

a  1995 Ford Taurus retractable cargo cover , color grey

Well "94 actually, but it should still fit.....now i have the problem that in a fit of overenthusiasm I bid on TWO of the dang things after a month of not being able to find any on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.....the second auction ends tomorrow, so I may be receving TWO in the mail.....plus there';s the one we bought by accident that turned out to be for a later model, after they changed the body shape......

I shall have to open my own  Ford Taurus retractable cargo cover  ebay site!!!

vixmom

« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2005, 08:25:03 PM »

I am glad you are feeling better Ginny

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~Health Vibes~~~~~ [/move]
to you and DH Richard for a fast and full recovery!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:25:41 PM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2005, 08:25:15 PM »

vixmom: My local DVD store frequently gets early copies of DVDs - sometimes as much as a couple of months in advance.  

I won't say the transfer is perfection, but for the most part it's pretty splendid, especially after all these years of having to endure the yellowy out of focus full frame atrocity that is the VHS tape.  The tranfers only problems are several shots that are on the soft side because they're out of registration.  But most of it is really sharp and the color is pretty eye-opening.  I'm halfway through.  Leslie Parrish is making my heart ache she's so beautiful.  And, she's FUNNY.  There are many great laugh-out-loud lines - one of my favorites:  Marryin' Sam:  My income depends on the outcome.

You'd BETTER fire that chauffer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2005, 08:26:26 PM »

Oh, and Li'l Abner has no extras, not even a trailer, but then again it can be had for under ten bucks and it's the movie that counts.  

The sound is mono, which it should be - the only way it ever played.

vixmom

« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »

vixmom: My local DVD store frequently gets early copies of DVDs - sometimes as much as a couple of months in advance.  

I won't say the transfer is perfection, but for the most part it's pretty splendid, especially after all these years of having to endure the yellowy out of focus full frame atrocity that is the VHS tape.  The tranfers only problems are several shots that are on the soft side because they're out of registration.  But most of it is really sharp and the color is pretty eye-opening.  I'm halfway through.  Leslie Parrish is making my heart ache she's so beautiful.  And, she's FUNNY.  There are many great laugh-out-loud lines - one of my favorites:  Marryin' Sam:  My income depends on the outcome.

You'd BETTER fire that chauffer.

I shall now make my confession to you.  I have never seen this movie....although I was a great fan of the strip when I was a youngster and it ran in our Color Sunday Funnies Supplement

I do, however, have all intentions of obtaining a copy and watching it as soon as it becomes available in my neck of the woods.....

vixmom

« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2005, 08:29:23 PM »

Oh, and Li'l Abner has no extras, not even a trailer, but then again it can be had for under ten bucks and it's the movie that counts.  

The sound is mono, which it should be - the only way it ever played.

and it is family friendly!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2005, 08:29:57 PM »

Thanks for the ABNER report. I'm sure you'll have more to say in the Friday notes.

I'm off to bed now. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

vixmom

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2005, 08:40:51 PM »

well beddy bye time for me I think... I am beginning to feel like having a little snack so I must off to sleep before the urge is overwhelming

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2005, 08:46:45 PM »

Doctor assisted suicide is most definitely not being litigated in Oregon.  We have voted for it twice.  

What - you think the voters of the soverign state of Oregon have a right to a point of view! How quaint!

Maybe I should have said that the issue is being "litigated at" the good people of the state of Oregon.

With G_d's help you will prevail.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2005, 08:49:33 PM »

Oh, and Li'l Abner has no extras, not even a trailer

Dat 'cuz dem folks in Dogpatch cain't 'ford no trailer! (Shucks, they cain't dodge no trailer, neither.)

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:09 PM »

Good Evening!

I didn't make it back to the Peabody to see the afternoon March of the Ducks, but...  In the meantime, here's a picture of the ducks from the Peabody Hotel's website:

I'll post mine as soon as I get them developed.  -And I may try to get back to the Peabody tomorrow...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2005, 09:11:20 PM »

Oh... And The Peabody Hotel in Little Rock, Arkansas, also has Ducks.  But I believe the tradition started here in Memphis.

*I'm a bit too tired to Google/research right now, so...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2005, 09:16:44 PM »

The AP reports:

N. Korea Demands U.S. Apology
Thursday, March 31, 2005

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea  is waiting for the United States to apologize for calling it an "outpost of tyranny" before the communist state will return to nuclear talks, a senior official said, as the North announced Friday it will convene a rubber-stamp parliament expected to endorse its boycott of the talks.

And apologize we should. North Korea is not an "outpost of tyranny" - it is the Eastern capital of tyranny and a hub of barbarism!

der Brucer (I think we should send  VP Cheney over there and tell him to give them the good old American "F&*K YOU!")

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2005, 09:19:33 PM »

Good Evening!

I didn't make it back to the Peabody to see the afternoon March of the Ducks, but...  In the meantime, here's a picture of the ducks from the Peabody Hotel's website:

I presume the duck fountain serves a pupose similar to a lobster tank.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2005, 09:25:27 PM »

After stopping in at the theatre, I went ahead and headed over to the Civil Rights Museum.  It was a just few blocks from the Orpheum further down Main Street.  When I first came upon it, I wasn't sure I had found the right place - this my first time there - but after following the signs, entering the building and paying my admission...

The Museum was built on/in/around the Lorraine Hotel, the site of where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated.  It consists of two buildings.  The first building is on the grounds of the Lorraine Hotel, and the second building is on the grounds of the boarding house across the street from where James Earl Ray fired his gun.

A true, palpable sense of history was/in the air.

I didn't spend too much time reading and looking at everything.  I was already getting a bit overwhelmed just looking at the preliminary exhibit.  Disturbing pictures.  Shameful pictures.  Hopeful pictures.  Inspiring pictures.

There really is a lot in those two buildings including a reconstruction of the hotel room where MLK was staying that fateful night.  There are two running films, some interactive kiosks, and many recreations of significant moments - Rosa Parks' bus, a lunch counter, etc. - as well as some "memorabilia" - an actual KKK "uniform", a train porter's uniform, a transcript of MLK's phone call to his wife...  I really found myself holding back tears every now and then...  Just so much there...  And realizing that most of the "history" is still relatively "recent history".

I really can't describe it all.  Instead, I'll post the website for the museum should you wish to explore.

http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »

Dear Jose,

Our local market had Cadbury Creme eggs at half price and Ferrero Rocher at 75% off - sure am glad senility does not bring back a tendancy toward acne!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #268 on: March 31, 2005, 09:42:29 PM »

Pre-Renaissance Indiana :

EDINBURGH, Ind. (AP)
 — The Venus de Milo had better wear a top and Michelangelo's David should put on some pants if they're going to be seen at a yard-art business.

Bartholomew County officials told the business near Interstate 65 that it must move cement copies of the classical statues — and about 10 others — out of public view because they are obscene under Indiana law.

"It's not fair to point out our business, and personally, I don't find them offensive," Ginger Streeval, a co-owner of White River Truck Repair and Yard Art, told the Daily Journal of Franklin for a story Wednesday.

Frank Butler, the county's zoning inspector, disagreed.

"They have nudity ... and that should not be in the view of a minor," he said

Wonder if Annie Oakley is lurking around?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #269 on: March 31, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »

When I left the Museum, I noticed a makeshift "display" set up right outside of the museum grounds.  Upon closer examination, it turned out to be a woman, Jacqueline Smith, who as of today, had been set up there in protest of the museum for 1757 days so far.  She - and others - are protesting the fact that so much public money was spent on the museum and it's exhibits, while local concerns - education, health, welfare - were/are being "ignored".  And calling the Museum a money-making "tourist trap", exploiting the memory and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.

As I passed her table, all I could think of was how lucky we are to live in a country where we can protest the "good".  Nothing but respect for her and her cause.

http://www.fulfillthedream.net
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up