Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEARY BUTT CHEEKS  (Read 3030 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE WEARY BUTT CHEEKS
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:02 PM »

Today’s Weill is Down in the Valley.

Which recording?

With Marion Bell and William McGraw. RCA Victor Orchestra and Chorus.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »

Well, I almost adopted Woofer today. Two years old, 40 lbs, and as soon as I knew he was good with cats, I planned to fill out an application.  I asked my animal rescue friend Suzanne to check on him.  Well, somebody beat me to him, and I still don't know how he relates to cats.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:06:20 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2020, 03:05:37 PM »

Today’s Weill is Down in the Valley.

Which recording?

With Marion Bell and William McGraw. RCA Victor Orchestra and Chorus.

I had that on LP.  I also had the Decca recording with Alfred Drake.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

Well, I almost adopted Woofer today. Two years old, 40 lbs, and as soon as I knew he was good with cats, I planned to fill out an application.  I asked my animal rescue friend Suzanne to check on him.  Well, somebody beat me to him, and I still don't know how he relates to cats.

I am glad he found a home.  I really worry about your having a dog.  Even a 40 pound dog can cause you to lose your balance when walking them, and how can you afford the vet bills?  I know your heart is in the right place.

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

Could be conversations with Harold Prince.  But I finished it (about thirty words under 1500), and already have futzed and finessed and added and subtracted, moving things around constantly so that the forward momentum is there as well as clarity.  I'll look at it again a little later.  I wouldn't mind a couple of review quotes - I have Walter Kerr, but I know there are others that were in the tour souvenir program - if anyone has any quotes, send 'em to me.

Walter Kerr seemed to think Jill Haworth not only cast herself, but also costumed herself!!!

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »

I am glad he found a home.  I really worry about your having a dog.  Even a 40 pound dog can cause you to lose your balance when walking them, and how can you afford the vet bills?  I know your heart is in the right place.

Well, it didn't happen, so I don't plan to worry about it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2020, 04:18:43 PM »

Could be conversations with Harold Prince.  But I finished it (about thirty words under 1500), and already have futzed and finessed and added and subtracted, moving things around constantly so that the forward momentum is there as well as clarity.  I'll look at it again a little later.  I wouldn't mind a couple of review quotes - I have Walter Kerr, but I know there are others that were in the tour souvenir program - if anyone has any quotes, send 'em to me.

Walter Kerr seemed to think Jill Haworth not only cast herself, but also costumed herself!!!

Actually, Kerr places the blame solidly on Prince.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »

Find me some quotes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »

Mexican food wasn't so great today and too much of it - I thought two beef tacos and four little chicken taquitos would be just right, but the taquitos were anything but little and I feel completely gross now.

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »

DR Freddie how is Skip today?

John G.

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »

Had an interesting takeout tonight. Half-dozen excellent potstickers. A large order of soggy but flavorful fries, spicy chicken that I need to bake a little longer and and excellent chocolate cake. I have the chicken and a salad for lunch tomorrow
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

Watching a rather odd Sacha Guitry film called The Pearls in the Crown. There's a woman in not just blackface, but her whole body is covered and she's wearing little more than a couple of well-placed shells -- and a snake. If someone wants to kiss her, they also have to kiss the snake.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

Steven Suskin's book of review quotes, "Opening Night," goes up only to Fiddler, so Cabaret is not included. The only quotes I may have would be in the CD booklet. And those would be likely be nothing but "must-see," 'brilliant," whatever.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »

Send ANY quotes my way.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »

Suddenly we're having light posting?  We know everyone is home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2020, 05:57:58 PM »

Finally have the Carol Christmas video on the computer.  Any interest?  I'm not sure why it was taped so early in the run - we added a major speech for the leading lady three weeks into the seven week run, which means this was taped on our second weekend, which explains why the audience is a little smaller because as of week three word of mouth kicked in and we were pretty much full for the rest of the run.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »

Finally have the Carol Christmas video on the computer.  Any interest?  I'm not sure why it was taped so early in the run - we added a major speech for the leading lady three weeks into the seven week run, which means this was taped on our second weekend, which explains why the audience is a little smaller because as of week three word of mouth kicked in and we were pretty much full for the rest of the run.

Yes!  That would be great! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »

Yes, BK.  I would like to see Carol Christmas!

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »

I've been enjoying Seth Rudetsky's shows online.  He has a lot of Broadway stars and others, who are in their homes, of course.  He's also having reunions of casts of shows such as Frasier and Taxi coming up.  You can watch live at 2 pm and  8 pm every day or watch later on youtube:

starsinthehouse.com/   

KevinH

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »

Actually, the Taxi reunion was on tonight and can be seen on youtube.

John G.

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2020, 06:43:53 PM »

I would love to see Carol Christmas
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »

The only review quoted in the CD booklet for the OBC is Walter Kerr calling Jill Haworth the "one wild wrong note." No quotes in "Colored Lights." Plenty of reviews of the movie online.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »

In Stanley Richards' Great Musicals of the American Theatre, Vol. 2, he includes in his intro:

Richard Gilman of Newsweek: "'Cabaret' is serious, which is to say it accepts the premise that mature themes aren't inimical to the musical genre. It is also fun in a salty, grown-up way--sensual elaborate, honest and yeasty, full of accurate perceptions translated into share and savory theater."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »

Richard Watts Jr., New York Post: "It is the glory of 'Cabaret' that it can upset you while it gives theatrical satisfaction. It is disturbing, provocative, meaningful, believable and highly entertaining."

Two quotes without attribution were fused together. I don't know if they're from the same review:

"A scintillating unconventional musical play" that employs "a colorful explosion of wit and intelligence. Here is a musical of unusual distinction."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »

I've been enjoying Seth Rudetsky's shows online.  He has a lot of Broadway stars and others, who are in their homes, of course.  He's also having reunions of casts of shows such as Frasier and Taxi coming up.  You can watch live at 2 pm and  8 pm every day or watch later on youtube:

starsinthehouse.com/   

They look good. I watched one (Judy Kuhn) and just haven't had time for others.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »

I'm watching an interview with Hitchcock that's one of the extras from Rebecca. I watched the movies months ago, but never watched all of the extras. They're wonderful, and yes, they make me want to watch the picture again.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:04 PM »

Found this on amazon.com:

Richard Gilman of Newsweek says, "Cabaret is serious, which is to say it accepts the premise that mature themes aren't inimical to the musical genre. It is also fun in a salty, grown-up way - sensual, elaborate, honest and yeasty, full of accurate perceptions translated into sharp and savory theatre."

Richard Coe of the Washington Post writes, "With that totality at which our musical stage is so adept Cabaret evokes the bizarre atmosphere of Berlin when the Nazis were breaking the thin crust of a dream world. Hal Prince...again has created an imaginative fascinating musical drama."

Richard Watts, Jr. of the New York Times declares, "It is the glory of Cabaret that it can upset you while it gives theatrical satisfaction It is disturbing, provocative, meaningful, believable and highly entertaining."
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »

DR Jane, my book group was an audio-only call, but some of the same people met a few nights later for a board meeting on UberConference.  On that some had both audio and video and others, like me, were audio only.

Tomorrow I’m meeting with another book group in Google Hangouts and I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thank you.  I am curious as I want to suggest this to our book group.  With my hearing it would probably be useless for me but others might enjoy it.

When is your Google Hangouts meeting?

Tomorrow at noon.  We're discussing Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar as part of Miami University's observation of Women's History Month.  I read it back in the '70s and have been re-reading it today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up