Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE  (Read 24796 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE
« on: November 05, 2003, 12:18:03 AM »

Well, the notes are up, and once you've checked them out why not post until the cows come home?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 01:01:05 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 12:20:22 AM »

The cows are already home BK. Even in OZ it is after milking time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 12:28:43 AM »

My question for the day? As a long time collector of movie songs (especially the oscar nominations), I would like DRs opinions on any likely contenders for song award contenders this year. I am still in shock after last years win by that chocolate confectionary. The only song I can think of this year is "I'm Still Here" from "Treasure Planet". I have not seen many movies this year and "Finding Nemo" had no original song to offer. There must be others.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 02:30:40 AM »

DR WEL - I think that DR Ron's post is correct and that DR Joy was sending good vibes to WFO.  I am sure she will clear that up for us today.   :-X

I have no idea about new songs in musicals this year....whew!  What were some of the choices?  I think there are a LOT of movies coming out in the next four weeks and the choices will probably increase with their releases.

Yes it was election day yesterday with no surprises around here.

I will ruminate on my questions for today and be back later.  :D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 03:12:27 AM »

Good morning all.  I have no idea why I am wide awake at 6 am but I do wish I were sleeping.

Here is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Most of you DRs, it seems, are actors/performers of some sort, either past or current.  When did the bug bite you, and what was the story?  If you no longer act/perform, why?

Maya, so who won the Trivial Pursuit game??
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 04:35:01 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the day.

Dressed casually, Allison peruses a foreign film magazine in between lensing scenes for the 1960 Allied Artists film The Hypnotic Eye.   ::)

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 04:57:21 AM »

My Jeepers Creepers CD finally arrived this week (long story) and it is just as wonderful as I knew it would be.

My question for BK: Why didn't the "Jewish" version of The Mothra Song make it to the final cd? It was so funny! Everyone in the control booth were laughing so loud that I thought they would be pee in the pants. Luckily I wear pampers so that wasn't a concern for me. ;D

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 04:58:23 AM »

Like to remind my fellow DR that the lady  (Adryan Russ) who who proofed BK's new book is also a very talented song writer and Bruce produced an album of her songs for the LML label (Lee Lessack homegrown label) called Everyone Has the Right: The Songs of Adryan Russ

The singers include Juliana Hansen, Jason Graae, Susan Egan, Tami Tappen, Sharon McNight, Michelle Nicastro. Joan Ryan who have all recorded with BK.

It is a great album and highly recommended
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 04:58:56 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 04:58:30 AM »

A post before I begin to work. Warning, it has turned out to be rather long.

Tom: Since I rarely go to movies in theatres anymore, I don't know of a song that might be nominated for Best. I usually see movies long after they have been released, either on DVD/VHS or on HBO. Most movies hold little or no interest for me. The older I get, I guess, the more curmudgeonly (is that a word?) I become.

I did my very first real show (not counting the Candy Cane I played in 3rd grade) at the age of 11 and I was hooked from the first moment. It was a children's play produced by my neighbor across the street. She had always had aspirations toward theatre but had put them aside to raise a family. Then she decided it was time to do something so she started a Children's Theatre company in a local unused neighborhood space. From that time (1964) through to the late 70s I did at least one show a year, and usually many more. I did everything in junior high and high school, plus I did community theatre when they had shows that were right for me. Luckily my parents were supportive of my ambitions. It's a little strange as well as lucky, because our family life had periods of difficulty and chaos so I used theatre as an escape. It took me away from the troubles and problems and helped me grow and survive. I decided when I was in 9th grade (around 14 years old) that I would be an actor. People were amazed that I would make that choice, especially my teacher who assigned the project of a career booklet. I wrote to Actor's Equity, Screen Actor's Guild and AFTRA asking for information on the unions, I even found an audition notice in the Minneapolis paper (we had to include a Help Wanted ad in our book) and I wrote a long essay about being an actor. It must have worked because I got an A on the project. I went on our Spring Trip to NY and DC in 1971 and saw my first Broadway show, Promises, Promises, with Tony Roberts and was even more hooked if that was possible. I stayed at a hotel that is now a condominium, on 34th Street, kitty-corner from Macy's and I told the trip advisors that I would be back in NYC very soon. It took 9 more years but here I am and even though I'm not "in the business" anymore, I don't regret a minute of it. It provided me with some of the most wonderful times of my life and I met some of the most special people I could ever imagine.

Well, this has turned into a rather long essay on Why I Am A Performer. I'll let you all move on to another posting now. Thanks for reading.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 05:04:47 AM »

A post before I begin to work. Warning, it has turned out to be rather long.

Tom: Since I rarely go to movies in theatres anymore, I don't know of a song that might be nominated for Best. I usually see movies long after they have been released, either on DVD/VHS or on HBO. Most movies hold little or no interest for me. The older I get, I guess, the more curmudgeonly (is that a word?) I become.

My god! I thought I was the only one! I used to love to go to the movies and now it is such a chore. Also the reason I am not familar with songs from films any more is that they rarely get air play anymore. So they are not familar to the general public.

I remember there was one year not so long ago when there was a dearth of original songs that they cut the category down to three songs and that was even stretching it. I think one of the songs was from Manequin
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 05:19:57 AM »

LOL DR MDS - perhaps it was a safety concern!   :P  And thanks for the heads up about that CD!  It sounds great!

Hmmmmmmmm....

DR LC - interesting question.  And DR Ben has provided the first answer.  Very nice!  And I don't think there are any short answers to your question, so I hope you are ready to read a LOT today!

I started at the age of 4 or 5 singing songs with my father's band.  I sang all the sad country songs about abandoned children and children losing their parents, and there are a LOT of them.  Then when my sister took over those songs, I retired from show business.  Then I started taking gymnastics lessons - called tumbling way back them - and since there was only a combo class that included tap dancing, I took that, too.  The owner of the school always took her students to Starlight Musicals (defunct now) and the directors there used her students as fill-ins for their productions.  I did a LOT of shows there like The Music Man, Gypsy, Oklahoma, How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, and Showboat.  It was a lot of fun.

My major is in dance, but I was not a success.  I kind of skipped over some time in my twenties, and then started acting, directing, dancing again with a group that built a theatre in a barn - and then when I won a play-writing competition, I also started working with a theatre in Indianapolis that later became an Equity house.  I still work both places since I am not a full Equity member - only a candidate.

As to why....hmmmmm....just wanted to be noticed, I guess.   ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 06:01:17 AM »

Ask BK: Have you ever seen Adryan Russ's musical Inside Out and what did you think of it?

A production just closed here and I'm sorry I missed it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 06:02:12 AM »

Of course I meant new songs in movies NOT musicals.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 06:06:28 AM »

For Ask BK Day ---
If this is actually Guy Haines' site, why is the copyright notice at the end in your name instead of his?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 06:24:39 AM »

??? ??? ??? Is Barbara Deutsch a relation to Patty Deutsch?

(and did I spell that right?)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 06:46:07 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:

On your new reality show, when you are viewing the vast footage - does anyone stand out so that you would shift the focus to that participant?  Or do you follow a 'story arc' that is decided by someone else?

And is taping already finished or does it continue?   ::)

To DR's who direct/stage musicals:

Do you prefer to stage big numbers:  i.e. Put On Your Sunday Clothes, or smaller numbers i.e. Elegance?

And if you have staged a musical number - which one was your best or favorite (not necessarily the same one), and why?

Ben

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 06:50:07 AM »

The endless loop of I Never  Promised You a Rose Garden (the Notes title from days gone by) has been playing in my head for far too long! I'm about to vomit on the floor. Song Titles as Note Titles must be BANNED, do you hear me, BANNED. Damn them all to hell.

What the HELL am I talking about???

Back to work, now. Bye.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 06:55:22 AM »

But before I go, let me say I think I'm a rare breed. I was an actor who never wanted to be anything else but an actor. I never wanted to be a director (it was my least favorite class at University). I've always just wanted to work on my character (in the context of the whole play, of course) but I never wanted to have to look at the whole picture and solve problems and tell people where to go and help guide them through a performance. The focus is on ME, do you hear? ME, ME, ME. Focus people  ;D ;) 8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 06:56:02 AM »

DR Ben - it could be worse.  I was once stuck on float for miles and miles while this song played endlessly...endlessly...endlessly...endlessly....

click the link at your own risk   :P

http://www.rjsfunwithmidis.com/alleycat.mid

Emily

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 08:38:16 AM »

I had a nice long post all ready to go and then the fershulgana (sp?) site stopped working.  Isn't that just my luck? :)

Everyone, don't forget to join the Haines His Way Emergency Contact E-mail Group I have set up at Yahoo!

All you have to do is send an e-mail to
hhw911-subscribe@yahoogroups.ca
and you will never be without HHW again.  Think of the possibilities.  :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 08:47:14 AM »

Well, that was interesting! Getting a "closed for maintenance" error message for about a half hour. Undaunted, I kept trying until I broke through.

DR Tom, the song from TREASURE PLANET will not be Oscar nominated this year. TREASURE PLANET was eligible for last year's Oscars. In fact, it was nominated for Best Animated Feature and lost to SPIRITED AWAY.

For Ask BK Day - Your fondness for Diet Coke is well known, but I was wondering if you could elaborate why you prefer it over, say, Diet Pepsi, Diet Cherry Coke, or Pepsi One (my favorite although I will buy any name diet sodas that are on sale). Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 09:05:45 AM »

I don't know what the problem was and won't know until Bakalor calls me.  Luckily, it wasn't long. More when I get to work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 09:07:47 AM »

And because things are moving very slowly (at least on my computer) let's not post images until I find out what the problem is - I'm sure we'll be normal by the afternoon, but I don't want to take any chances on overloading the system with images until I know it's safe to do so.  Thanks!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 09:08:37 AM »

Furthermore, if this happens again, I will immediately open BK's Notes so that you can post as we used to, to the bottom of the notes.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 09:16:14 AM »

I'm always distressed to hear when any show closes.  And an original musical comedy, with acquaintances in the cast . . .  that's even worse.

That said, Urinetown didn't strike me as remotely funny.  I sat there, rather appalled that this witless SNL sketch was going well beyond the length of such things.  The cast worked hard, but I wish they were given material that was fresh, or a joke I hadn't heard a thousand times before.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 10:03:16 AM »

Hey, here's a question. I'm doing an assignment for my Computers class (my favorite!) and I have to make a Power Point presentation to convince people to invest in my imaginary company. So I've made up a fencing school and I need the top five reasons why people should invest in it. So far all I have is, "I have a sword and I know how to use it." Can anyone think of anything else?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 10:17:49 AM »

DR Sandra:

You can do more with a foil than just bake a chicken

There are no more sabre tooth tigers but you can still protect yourself with a Sabre and thrust

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 10:32:37 AM »

Don't forget DR Sandra, that you will be the first in a very unique market.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2003, 10:50:51 AM »

Ben & MDS, I too find going to movies a chore anymore.  I can look at the ads in the paper and see absolutely nothing I want to get off my ass to go see.  

Part of it is that I discovered and grew up watching movies on TV under less than ideal conditions (small screens, commercials, snowstorms of static)so I'm perfectly content to view them in this format, particularly with the advent of video and DVD.  I've always been intriqued by the story more than the production values (probably why I never had any desire to be a director...If you're noticing the jazzy camera angle, somebody's not doing his job right because he's taking you out of the story).  

The other reason, of course, is the increasing rudeness and bad behaviour of the movie audiences over the years.  As I get older and more crotchedy, I have far less patience for it.

My wife and I only attend WGA society screenings where there is no food or talking allowed.  And, around this time of the year, we get in free to all the major films being nominated on my card.  We go to theatres like the Arclight or screening rooms, where unruly behaviour is at a minimum, and catch up on everything worthwile we missed over the year. I really enjoyed getting the DVD screeners last year and am mightily ticked we'll not be getting them this year.  It was so convenient.

But beyond all that, I just don't really find most films that come out worth watching anymore.  I have all the Showtime and HBO channels and almost never watch them.  I rarely rent anything from the video store.  My TV is pretty much almost always on TCM or the Fox Movie Channel or the Westerns Channel.  Watching To Kill A Mockingbird this  past weekend reminded me how truly great black and white is!

As to the acting question, my beginnings as an actor can be found in my Unseemly Interview in the Unseemly Interview Archive.  I never officially retired from acting, I just started making too much money writing movies.  I keep intending to get back to it one of these days, but, of course, twenty years have past since I've trod the boards.  And board-trodding is the only acting I do, I'm definitely a stage actor...not a movie actor.  The stage is the most exciting form of drama for me and the one where the actor has the most control over his fate.  It's great to get out and adjust to a new audience and situation every night while still staying on course with your fellows actors, the direction you've been given, and the framework of the whole.  Keeping it consistent, but keeping it fresh and exciting.  It is also the most intimate form of drama for both performers and audience.  The best theatre is always better than the best movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2003, 10:52:47 AM »

I think we were down again for a few minutes, no?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up